Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - edlithgow

Ducted Injection gives better mixing of injected fuel with air, and burns cleaner.

https://prod-ng.sandia.gov/techlib-noauth/access-control.cgi/2014/1417364r.pdf

Only a lab test rig ATPIT AFAICT. Don't think its in an engine yet, but the hope/speculation is that it could reduce the need for / load on the DPF.

Gas co-combustion also reduces diesel emissions and has been used in operational engines (was poipular in Australia) but seems to ibe more complex.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/12/2019 at 09:04

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - bathtub tom

I recall gas co-combustion (or something similar) in use decades ago. Propane or methane was introduced into the induction circuit to improve economy. M&S used to declare it proudly on their liveried lorries.

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - galileo

I recall gas co-combustion (or something similar) in use decades ago. Propane or methane was introduced into the induction circuit to improve economy. M&S used to declare it proudly on their liveried lorries.

I think the M & S lorries you refer to were actually fitted with Cummins engines fuelled by CNG (compressed Natural Gas, methane).

I worked for a Cummins subsidiary company, I recall some internal publicity about this at the time.

I was using "co-combustion" to describe the use of LPG as an auxilliary fuel, alongside the diesel fuel.

Described here:-

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112610

That's an old (2008) article though. I dunno how well or if it works with a DPF (though offhand I can't see why it wouldn't be an improvement) and I suspect the Govt subsidy is gone.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/12/2019 at 02:44

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - Sofa Spud

Is this not a re-invention of the indirect-injection diesel engine, an obsolete type now superceded by direct-injection diesels?

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - focussed

Is this not a re-invention of the indirect-injection diesel engine, an obsolete type now superceded by direct-injection diesels?

You may be surprised to learn that indirect injection engines generally emit less particulates than direct injection engines, but more NOX, that's why the ecoloons got rid of them.

You may be surprised to learn that indirect injection engines generally emit less particulates than direct injection engines, but more NOX, that's why the ecoloons got rid of them.

Good point. The test rig outlined in the paper is just a combustion chamber, so AFAICT it doesn't have inconveniences like pistons sweeping most of the volume at regular intervals.

I'd guess if this idea got as far as being packaged for an actual engine you might need a pre-combustion chamber to put the duct in, et voila, a (better?) wheel.

Which goes around, and comes around.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/12/2019 at 01:02

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - Bolt

Good point. The test rig outlined in the paper is just a combustion chamber, so AFAICT it doesn't have inconveniences like pistons sweeping most of the volume at regular intervals.

I'd guess if this idea got as far as being packaged for an actual engine you might need a pre-combustion chamber to put the duct in, et voila, a (better?) wheel.

Which goes around, and comes around.

Compression chamber maybe but doubt it would go as far as combustion as it is, they would be better off using ducts on cylinder head inlet to cause swirl to mix fuel air, using the compression itself to cause enough swirl long enough to work I think would fail to give the same effect, But I could be wrong? a bit like battery tech we will have to wait and see!

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - alan1302

You have to be a 'loon' to want to reduce the ammount NOX that comes out of a vehicle?

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - focussed

Despite being another dog-whistle evil pollutant for the anti-car brigade it's not all bad.

The science ( I had to look it up - not my area of expertise, but I remembered that there was some way that NOX is broken down n the atmosphere)

Nitrogen oxides (NOx) act as indirect greenhouse gases by producing the tropospheric greenhouse gas 'ozone' via photochemical reactions in the atmosphere. The impact of NOx gases on global warming is not all bad though. Like tropospheric ozone, NOx gases also affect the global greenhouse gas budget through their effect on the atmospheric abundance of hydroxyl (OH) radicals.

The breakdown of NOx gases gives rise to increased OH abundance and so helps to reduce the lifetimes of greenhouse gases like methane.

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - Sofa Spud

Presumably you're in favour of poor air quality in major towns and cities. Anyway, as I remember it the move to direct-injection diesels was largely because they are more fuel-efficient.

I was using "co-combustion" to describe the use of LPG as an auxilliary fuel, alongside the diesel fuel.

Described here:-

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112610

That's an old (2008) article though. I dunno how well or if it works with a DPF (though offhand I can't see why it wouldn't be an improvement) and I suspect the Govt subsidy is gone.

DPF only collects the soot so wont be affected apart from if it works, wont need burning off as often, though from the look of the design may have a problem of the air getting to combustive temp before the mix takes place as the swirl could be too late for correct air fuel mix, just imo,mind!

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - concrete

Was I dreaming it or did a chap somewhere in the West Country invent or is trying to develop an alternative form of fuel for internal combustion? Seem to recall Hydrogen or Water being part of the process ( I know water is a goodly part hydrogen). I must say that I am surprise some bright spark of a Chemist has not developed some form of alternative to carbon based fuel. The untold riches await. Maybe the oil companies have them assinated!! Cue the conspiracy theory!!!! Cheers Concrete

Future Diesels? - Diesel Repreive? - Soot at the end of the tunnel - concrete

Should be assassinated! C

Was I dreaming it or did a chap somewhere in the West Country invent or is trying to develop an alternative form of fuel for internal combustion? Seem to recall Hydrogen or Water being part of the process ( I know water is a goodly part hydrogen). I must say that I am surprise some bright spark of a Chemist has not developed some form of alternative to carbon based fuel. The untold riches await. Maybe the oil companies have them assinated!! Cue the conspiracy theory!!!! Cheers Concrete

I remember someone trying water injected into the manifold as a fine mist but it kept stalling over 1200rpm but not heard anymore, that was in the 80s

apart from steam engines it wont work unless they are dreaming:)

I think its been attempted a few times by different people

Edited by bolt on 10/12/2019 at 18:19

I remember someone trying water injected into the manifold as a fine mist but it kept stalling over 1200rpm but not heard anymore, that was in the 80s

Er...Water injection is a very well established, documented technique, with a sound technical basis. Its mostly been used in high performance boosted engines, notably in military aircraft during WW2. These people were not dreaming.

In mass-market cars it has a history of being a bit too much hassle for Joe Punter, who has trouble remembering that he should put air in his tyres.

It was used on an early US turbo (can't remember the name.Look it up) and has been used on production SAABs. I THINK there's been some talk of a revival by BMW.

Edit: That talk was probably about the system implemented on the BMW M4. Geek speak follows:-

https://interestingengineering.com/video/bmw-m4-gts-uses-a-very-rare-water-injection-system-to-make-50-horsepower

The main effect is an anti-detonant , but there are also charge-cooling and decoking benefits. There may also be a steam engine effect, getting some extra push from otherwise wasted exhaust heat. Not sure about that but it seems plausible.

I had a primitive water inspiration system (mostly for decoking) rigged on my car but I took it off for the last inspection (all mods illegal in Taiwan) and havn't put it back yet.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/12/2019 at 01:18

Er...Water injection is a very well established, documented technique, with a sound technical basis. Its mostly been used in high performance boosted engines, notably in military aircraft during WW2. These people were not dreaming.

In mass-market cars it has a history of being a bit too much hassle for Joe Punter, who has trouble remembering that he should put air in his tyres.

It was used on an early US turbo (can't remember the name.Look it up) and has been used on production SAABs. I THINK there's been some talk of a revival by BMW.

Edit: That talk was probably about the system implemented on the BMW M4. Geek speak follows:-

https://interestingengineering.com/video/bmw-m4-gts-uses-a-very-rare-water-injection-system-to-make-50-horsepower

The main effect is an anti-detonant , but there are also charge-cooling and decoking benefits. There may also be a steam engine effect, getting some extra push from otherwise wasted exhaust heat. Not sure about that but it seems plausible.

I had a primitive water inspiration system (mostly for decoking) rigged on my car but I took it off for the last inspection (all mods illegal in Taiwan) and havn't put it back yet.

if you read the post I was referring to, it was meant as alternative fuel, not assistive fuel or enhancing fuel, alternative being not petrol or diesel, many attempts have been made to make an engine run on water alone, ie, no fuel added, without success unless YOU know different lol ;-)

reminds me of the discussion about running an engine from just petrol vapour, rather than injection, many have tried that without being able to rev the engine fully, ie it will just tick over but will not rev, plenty of theory's about why but no one has actually done it yet. though I gather the idea is still being worked on...though could be wrong?

if you read the post I was referring to, it was meant as alternative fuel, not assistive fuel or enhancing fuel, alternative being not petrol or diesel, many attempts have been made to make an engine run on water alone, ie, no fuel added, without success unless YOU know different lol ;-)

C'mon, ANYONE reading

"I remember someone trying water injected into the manifold as a fine mist but it kept stalling over 1200rpm but not heard anymore, that was in the 80s"

would know different.

IOW they would know that this could not possibly refer to water alone.

If you spray water alone into an engine it wont "keep stalling over 1200rpm", because it wont be doing ANY rpm.

It'll just be getting wet.

I believe cars might have been run on electrolysed water, but only while the battery lasted, which won't have been for long.

C'mon, ANYONE reading

"I remember someone trying water injected into the manifold as a fine mist but it kept stalling over 1200rpm but not heard anymore, that was in the 80s"

would know different.

IOW they would know that this could not possibly refer to water alone.

If you spray water alone into an engine it wont "keep stalling over 1200rpm", because it wont be doing ANY rpm.

It'll just be getting wet.

I believe cars might have been run on electrolysed water, but only while the battery lasted, which won't have been for long.

Yes, I know, Sorry I didn't explain myself so its my fault ok, we all make mistakes

reminds me of the discussion about running an engine from just petrol vapour, rather than injection, many have tried that without being able to rev the engine fully, ie it will just tick over but will not rev, plenty of theory's about why but no one has actually done it yet. though I gather the idea is still being worked on...though could be wrong?

This might be an example of vapour running.

https://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/featured-vehicles/other-feature-cars/smokey-yunicks-hot-vapor-fiero-51-mpg-and-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

The video isn't especially informative but the article its embedded in gives clues about how it might have worked.

Seems fairly plausible.

This Smokey Yunicks guy is apparently an American automotive legend, to the extent of having a CARS animation character based on him (havn't seen it, so can't confirm)

Edited by edlithgow on 12/12/2019 at 15:22

https://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/featured-vehicles/other-feature-cars/smokey-yunicks-hot-vapor-fiero-51-mpg-and-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

The video isn't especially informative but the article its embedded in gives clues about how it might have worked.

Seems fairly plausible.

This Smokey Yunicks guy is apparently an American automotive legend, to the extent of having a CARS animation character based on him (havn't seen it, so can't confirm)

I can understand why its not used, its too complicated and it doesn't look like it will work, distance between carb and valve inlet is too far and should be shorter and smoother the bends alone create too much turbulence to work properly and would hinder induction flow

thats just imo, not that it matters

Seems fairly plausible.

I can understand why its not used, its too complicated and it doesn't look like it will work, distance between carb and valve inlet is too far and should be shorter and smoother the bends alone create too much turbulence to work properly and would hinder induction flow

Dunno, but "too complicated" doesn't really work as a criticism of this when coming from 2020, when DPF's and other ludicrously innapropriate technologies roam the earth.

Since the basic idea is to improve mixing, maybe the turbulence is a net benefit.

Its claimed to have done well in independent testing, and I've seen discussion where plausible people have claimed some success with related gizmo's, particularly fine metal mesh in the intake path.

They sell various grades of fine metal filter cones for tea/coffee here quite cheaply which if I had time to kill I might try for that, but I'd need some way of evaluating the result.

Seem to have lost my Colortune :(

Seems fairly plausible.

Dunno, but "too complicated" doesn't really work as a criticism of this when coming from 2020, when DPF's and other ludicrously innapropriate technologies roam the earth.

Since the basic idea is to improve mixing, maybe the turbulence is a net benefit.

Its claimed to have done well in independent testing, and I've seen discussion where plausible people have claimed some success with related gizmo's, particularly fine metal mesh in the intake path.

They sell various grades of fine metal filter cones for tea/coffee here quite cheaply which if I had time to kill I might try for that, but I'd need some way of evaluating the result.

Seem to have lost my Colortune :(

It was a comment rather than a criticism as I dont know enough about it, if it works fair enough I cannot argue with that, it just wasn't what I expected, though I think its a bit late now with tech going electric

but there must have been a reason why the car companies wouldn't take it up, unless, as other attempts to do this worked out too difficult and bearing in mind the materials would make it more heavy than it needed to be ie a simple injection system is a lot less hassle than whats involved in that setup and works better