Norton setup - Nortonsetup79

Norton is an antivirus product that protects your laptop, Computer, and tablet, etc from viruses. It provides security from the threats and problems that might affect the system of the user through the internet or any other folder or file that might contain the viruses so you don't have to worry just install the file and remove viruses.

(Link deleted but I'll leave the post here for the sake of GB's comment, which is what the shyster deserves.)

Edited by Avant on 21/11/2019 at 09:22

Norton setup - gordonbennet

For as long as this spam thread lasts.

When it finally drove my wife to distraction with how it interfered with her PC, she (and she is by no means alone, plenty of reports online) could not remove that security system from her PC fully no matter what she did, it ended up have to be removed by a professional.

Norton setup - FP

It seems a lot of anti-virus programs are hard to remove, which is completely understandable.

I can't vouch for it, but there is a Norton removal tool available from Norton themselves, and the free program Revo Uninstaller is often very good at removing left-over traces of stuff you want to delete.

I use Avast and, like Norton, Avast provides a dedicated removal tool which seems to work well.

Norton setup - gordonbennet

It seems a lot of anti-virus programs are hard to remove, which is completely understandable.

I can't vouch for it, but there is a Norton removal tool available from Norton themselves, and the free program Revo Uninstaller is often very good at removing left-over traces of stuff you want to delete.

I use Avast and, like Norton, Avast provides a dedicated removal tool which seems to work well.

I've used a good few anti virus packages now, i clicked on what looked like a simple PDF file of instructions for my then new watch...which resulted in a bombardment of pages opening which only stopped when i unplugged the machine.

After about 6 different packages i alighted on a fairly newcomer to the scene which finally removed all traces of the attack, none of the anti virus packages caused any issues in removal using the standard remove program tab, it was only Norton on my wife's PC that proved as difficult to get rid of as Sky TV.:-)

Norton setup - Bolt

I couldn't get the Norton removal tool to work properly, it left bits in the registry which I had to remove myself, which is what the removal tool is supposedly to do.

I use Avast as its far better imo than most others. and keeps the PC stable

Norton setup - Engineer Andy

I couldn't get the Norton removal tool to work properly, it left bits in the registry which I had to remove myself, which is what the removal tool is supposedly to do.

I use Avast as its far better imo than most others. and keeps the PC stable

Indeed - I have a utlility package that includes a better version of the Win7 RegEdit tool. which I too have to use when I want to scrub my PC of previously installed software like AV that have expired or that don't remove all traces, especially 'trial' software.

I do find this somewhat time-consuming task is a price worth paying as regards wiping all traces of old trial AV/internet Security software as if you do it right, you can get 7 - 8 months of free security software per year, then buy a decent, reasonably-priced annual subscription package, then go back to the 7-8 months of trail software when it expires.

I used to run Norton Internet Security for years, but found over the last 5 years or so that it got a bit bloated and took up too much memory compared to the best of the rest. Despite some misgivings over the country of origin, I currently run Kasperky Internet Security on my PC but the free Avast software (including memory cleanup) on my ageing Galaxy Tab3, which keeps the former in useable condition, when other security software (including KIS) make it crawl, especially this website and the Telegraph when using Firefox (even with adblocker add-ons).

Norton setup - Engineer Andy

I do find it ironic and amusing that a spammer (or worse) posts an 'ad' for a computer security software package that the link likely directs us to a fake website that probably deposits a virus or suchlike on our PC if we click on it.

Norton setup - thunderbird

Norton was free for 12 months when I bought a laptop some years ago. After 12 months I paid to renew it and what a waste of money. The laptop became infected by a worm that continually rebooted it, initially drove me to distraction but there was a solution on the internet to stop it loading on bootup and then get your virus software to remove it. Problem was Norton knew nothing about this worm. Eventually used a free tool from Sophos to do the deed.

So on renewal said goodbye to Norton and tried to say hello to Sophos but they did not sell to personal users.

Norton was not easy to uninstall but found the tool eventually.

Bought McAfee and another disaster. For the best part of a week I got no e-mails on Outlook and there was nothing in spam. So I checked via webmail and I had loads of mails. Spoke to Virgin who could not or did not want to help, just suggested I used webmail. A quick Google search provided the solution, McAfee was the problem. On the last update to the programme they had decided that all mail was spam but instead of putting it spam on your client it simply deleted it, luckily for me it was still on the Virgin server.

So goodbye McAfee and another struggle to uninstall it.

Since then its been Avast free with a regular check (every couple of months) using Malwarebytes just for my own piece of mind. All it ever finds is false positives.