Sofa opinions - Leif

I need a sofa and like the look of this made in GB with a hardwood frame:

https://www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk/Living-Room/Sofas/Orla/2-6433-95204/?

I like the yellow shown, it goes with pale cream walls, light wood furniture and reddish Qashqai rug. But it’s quite bright and I’m concerned I’ll grow to hate it even though I find it really colourful and cheerful now. Anyone bought something so loud, for want of a better term, and been happy/unhappy with it a few years on?

Grey seems popular, but it seems a tad drab. Pale cream seems a bit dull.Just my views.

Edited by Avant on 31/10/2019 at 23:55

Sofa opinions - Leif

My post is unreadable due to an advert!

Sofa opinions - FP

It's perfectly visible and legible to me.

Sofa opinions - Avant

It possibly depends on which browser you use. But for me the advert blocks part of the post on both Chrome and Edge, so I'll notify Kalpesh.

The advert is actually in the normal place, but for some reason the margins of the text of the post are wider. There's nowt so thick as software.

Edited by Avant on 28/10/2019 at 23:52

Sofa opinions - Leif

Thanks Avant.

Sofa opinions - gordonbennet

Some 14 years ago we bought a Duresta 4 seater, in a pale warm gold colour (all one colour but deep patterned material, repeated on the cushions) for want of a better description, not only is the sofa still as good as the day it was made showing no signs of wear or sagging, but as regards the sofa colour that was once again a very good choice by SWMBO.

My wife will not do standard beige everything, nor go with any other fashions come to think of it, quite the opposite in fact :-), for her there has to be some depth and warmth in a room's colour scheme, that gold tinted sofa seems to go with anything.

Colour choices are a personal thing, you should buy what your heart tells you and not what current fashion might dictate, grey seems to be the current in shade but that will probably soon move on, live in the manner you like with the colours and materials you like, and to hell with fashion or current think, when someone else is paying your mortgage and bills they can dictate...this applies in not just our furniture choices, politicians and apparatchiks take note.

No trouble here with ads.

Sofa opinions - Gibbo_Wirral

When posting a link make sure you remove all the rubbish after the ? symbol as that's the advertising and tracking rubbish they add on:

https://www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk/Living-Room/Sofas/Orla/2-6433-95204/

Sofa opinions - Leif

When posting a link make sure you remove all the rubbish after the ? symbol as that's the advertising and tracking rubbish they add on:

https://www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk/Living-Room/Sofas/Orla/2-6433-95204/

Thanks. I posted from an iPad, and editing the link was impossible. In fact posting the link was very hard. But I'll see what I can do next time. Where there's a will ... :)

Sofa opinions - Leif

Thanks GB. I'm warming to the gold yellow colour, I chose boring walls and carpets, so I can add colour using rugs, curtains etc.

Sofa opinions - concrete

The best choice SWMBO ever made, with my input of course!!!!, was twin sofas with two armchairs. They have a terracotta and pale cream colours for the interchangeable covers. Can't remember the make but it wasn't cheap. Seems well worth it 15 years on. No real wear and tear. Also it is really refreshing to have the terracotta covers on during winter and the cream during summer. Gives the house a different feel changing the covers. The colours are neutral enough to match any choice of carpets or soft furnishings we chose. We now have oak flooring throughout and they go really well with that too. I am so glad I advised SWMBO well!!! Cheers Concrete

Sofa opinions - Avant

Kalpesh has confirmed what Gibbo Wirral said - delete everything after the question mark in a link. I've done that here and all is now well.

Alteratively you can ujse a tiny-url link.

Sofa opinions - Leif

Kalpesh has confirmed what Gibbo Wirral said - delete everything after the question mark in a link. I've done that here and all is now well.

Alteratively you can ujse a tiny-url link.

Thanks, I will remember to do that. The tiny url link sounds best on an iPad.

Sofa opinions - Senexdriver

We bought a pair of G Plan sofas in 1988. They were so comfy we had them re-upholstered about 10 years ago and they live on, still as comfy as ever. However, SWMBO has been wanting a corner unit for some time and this week we have taken the plunge and bought one. Delivery is scheduled for 8-10 weeks.

The sofas were originally a dusky pink with a very pale grey diagonal stripe. Better looking than it sounds! By the time we came to have them re-upholstered, we were into the pale cream walls and light-coloured carpet trend so we went with a cream coloured fabric for the new look. However, we were so uptight about them getting grubby, they have been covered with throws since got them back, which kind of defeats the purpose of choosing the lovely cream fabric. We also have a matching footstool which was included in the re-upholstery exercise. It gets plenty of use but has not been covered with a throw - consequently it is filthy! So I would advise having some sort of stain treatment for a lovely yellow colour such as the one you're contemplating. It should make cleaning easier and if you spill things on it, the stain won't be so bad, provided you act quickly to mop it up.

The new corner unit is a grey/beige with a light coloured fleck in the hope that it won't show the dirt so quickly. We're well past the stage of boisterous children now so with just the two of us it won't get the bashing that the G Plan sofas have withstood. If anybody wants a pair of cream G Plan sofas with grubby matching footstool by the way, just ask. We can't donate them to charity as we don't know if they are fireproof, so we shall advertise them on local social media for free. We expect them to be available around Christmas or New Year time.

Sofa opinions - Jace Montgomery

We also bought SWMBO sofa 3 years ago and its still very comfy to sit today.

Sofa opinions - blindspot

bought a Connelly leather hand made arm chair and chesterfield neigh on 43 years ago .sit on em now. a bit worn admittedly. but well worn to to my a***.

Sofa opinions - blindspot

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 11/12/2019 at 23:24

Sofa opinions - gordonbennet

bought a Connelly hide leather chesterfield and arm chair neigh on 43 years back Sitting on em now . well worn to to my a***. great buy

Two leather recliners in our dining area bought from Chesterfields of Shardlow around 1990, still giving good service though the seat cushions have seen better days thanks to being trampled for years by doggie paws, still really comfy chairs.

Sofa opinions - Leif

Well I ended up buying some old Ercol armchairs, a 203 and two 427s. The latter were a bargain from ebay. I have stripped the 203 down to bare wood ready for refinishing, and I will strip the others soon. New webbing, new cushions and they will look very nice. I had the opportunity to pick up a 334 sofa frame for a song, but it's a hassle hiring a van to collect it, then having to keep it in the unheated garage while I work on it.

Here is an example 203 chair:

http://www.theandrewspartnership.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/DSC_1080.jpg

And a 427:

https://www.vinterior.co/furniture/seating/lounge-chairs/vintage-retro-ercol-model-427-lounge-chair-armchair-light-elm

Not to everyones tastes, but they are quite popular.

Sofa opinions - concrete

Well done Leif. I must admit that the older quality furniture is serviceable because the frames are so robust. We have 2 Parker Knoll chairs in our garden room, they are now on their third set of upholstery. They are very comfortable and get used daily. Must have had them well over 30 years and SWMBO's mother had them before us. Probably expensive in their day but quality counts. Luckily we have a tame tradesman from the 'old school'. He still wears a collar and tie to work. He is in his 70's and needs people to fetch and carry the furniture, but what a fine job he does. He just loves doing it, especially restoring furniture. Those days are sadly going. However he will not retire he loves the job so much. Bless him.

Cheers Concrete

Sofa opinions - Leif

My neighbour was an upholsterer for most of his working life and he is almost 80. He is a lovely chap, very helpful, did a huge amount to help his more elderly neighbours. I think he liked his work too. However, good workers are far and few between. The 203 chair and footstool had been rewebbed using tacks and staples to attach the webbing to the wood, causing damage. I've removed the tacks and staples, and they aren't visible when the chair has the cushions on, but I find it annoying that a trade can bodge a job to save time and money and damage furniture in the process.

Sadly much modern furniture does not last, it's designed to last less than a decade, and people usually want new, regarding secondhand as undesirable. More fool them.