Any - Outlook with Gmail - problems - nick62

If there are any IT experts on here I would be very glad of your help please.

I stupidly reacted to a Google security email message today and on their advice activated the security feature "Turn off less secure apps" ..................

I then subsequently discovered my Outlook email program was not able to connect with my Gmail account, so I can't send or receive any emails with Outlook.

Ah, thinks I, so I reverse the security feature on my Gmail account, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the damn thing to work anymore!

Port settings are correct for both send & receive (I'm using POP).

Any ideas please guys and gals, as I'm slowly losing the will to live?

Software is Outlook (as part of Office 365) running on Windows 10 Pro.

For the record I use Firefox browser v70.0 (to access Gmail directly)

Edited by nick62 on 24/10/2019 at 01:50

Any - Outlook with Gmail - problems - nick62

Now sorted.

My Outlook account mail settings had to be changed from "pop.{my acccount name}.com" and smtp.{my account name}.com, to "pop.gmail.com" and "smtp.gmail.com" respectively.

Discovered after may hours of trial and error.

This is despite never changing these previously (ever) and my Gmail account security setting "supposedly" being reset to their original values!

Don't ask me why because only Google (and Microsoft) will know the answer!!!

Any - Outlook with Gmail - problems - concrete

I am no expert but I am familiar with the technology and use it frequently. I had this trouble years ago when I switched provider from BT to Virgin at home where I used my company laptop a lot. The Virgin servers would not accommodate my previous e mail settings through Outlook, I was then on Windows XP. My company e mails were going out alright but they were tagged as 'virginmedia' instead of our company name. Luckily most people knew me and alerted me to the problem. Still don't know how our IT guys sorted it out. These days at home I use Hotmail, as it seems the easiest one to use. Glad you are sorted Nick, very frustrating when logic doesn't work and you need the expertise of the average 12 year old!!

Cheers Concrete

Any - Outlook with Gmail - problems - Sparrow

Ah, Microsoft and their 365 requiring annual payments. Thunderbird is a reasonably easy to use email software that does a similar job to Outlook and is free. Of course you might need 365 for the other office components, vut if not .. .. ...

Any - Outlook with Gmail - problems - thunderbird

Thunderbird is a reasonably easy to use email software that does a similar job to Outlook and is free. Of course you might need 365 for the other office components, vut if not .. .. ...

As my name suggests I am a Thunderbird user and have been for probably 10 year or more. Does everything Outlook does (including multiple accounts) all for nothing.

Currently use Libre Office as a free alternative to MS Office. Totally compatible for the work I need it to do (wife still has MS office on her computer - student licence) and files swap between machine with no issues. Despite having the ability to use Outlook she prefers Thunderbird.

Did try WPS office for a short time since it had tabs that made it more like modern MS Office. But there were some compatibity issues and many annoying adverts.

Libra Office has tabs now thus my only reason to try WPS is no longer an issue.