Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - Sparrow

SWMBO has a Hyundai i10, which has been excellent. We even drove it from the south of England to Inverness this summer and it coped surprisingly well (it is the 1.2 litre version).

At just over 3 years old the battery is failing. Normally I would just buy a good make such as Varta or Bosch of the correct size and spec, fit it myself and that would be it. Simples. However I understand that Hyundai are extremely fussy about servicing work being done in their dealerships. So, what do people think in my case? Should we spend over twice as much for another Korean battery than is likely to fail in three years time to get it done by the dealership (25 miles away) or should I just do what I normally do and swap it myself?

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - elekie&a/c doctor

If its not covered under the 5 year warranty, then buy a known make brand . Just make sure its the correct type ,especially if the car is fitted with stop/start system.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - badbusdriver

Not sure i'd class replacing a failing battery as 'servicing'. If the battery failed completely, somewhere far away from the nearest dealership, would they really expect you to take the car to a dealer rather than get a battery from a local garage/supplier?. I can't say 100%, but i find that unlikely, so unless someone knows otherwise, i'd say just replace it yourself. As long as the specs of the battery are the same, i can't see there being an issue.

Of course you could always get in touch with Hyundai customer services to be sure.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - bathtub tom

If I had a battery fail at three years old, I'd make sure I replaced it with a different brand.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - oldroverboy.

But, doesn't it depend on the usage,

How old, many miles, what sort of driving, local, stop start, etc etc.???????

Batteries need to recharge..

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - Chirpy99

My i10 is 7 years old and still on the original battery, I was doing a 1000 miles a month in it till may, as others have said you might not be using the car enough to keep the battery in a healthy state.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - SLO76

As already said, it’s not a worry from the warranty point of view as long as it the correct type for the car. I’d buy one myself and fit it but take a look before doing so at the terminals as some are quite awkward and have a load of fragile electronics attached like our wee Polo TDi which won’t take kindly to heavy handed clumsiness. My swearing didn’t damage it thankfully though.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - Sparrow

Thanks to all. Your conclusion is basically the same as mine - get the right spec and fit it. There are some small bolts around the terminals, but the ones that undo the connections to the battery are clear. I agree, 3 years in not long these days. The existing battery is a oriental make I have never heard of, so certainly won't be one of those. SWMBO spoke to the dealer who said that three years is not untypical. Some posts on forums suggest the same. I'm used to 6 plus years (my 3 series battery lasted 7 years and SWMBO's previous car, still being driven around here, was on the original battery for 10 years.

The car has done just under 30k miles, bought new, mixture of local driving and trips to nearby towns and places further away.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 battery head scratching - madf

Our Yaris eats batteries as it is used little.. three years is the average...- but if you buy one with a 4 year warranty and get it replaced in year 3 under warranty - when it starts showing signs of age - you can get 6 years from the original plus the free replacement.

Works for me :-)

Edited by madf on 22/10/2019 at 12:20