Honest John questions - daveyK_UK

Gob smacked at the advice What is the best automatic diesel car for taxi use please? Skoda Superb. Great value for money, practical and cheap to run. Also consider a Vauxhall Insignia or, if you'd prefer something a bit smaller, a Honda Civic.

Awful advice

The trade has avoided the superb due to the cheese made automatic and higher price and parts compared to the Rapid and Octavia

The trade has avoided the Vauxhall Insignia is a complete dog

The trade has avoided the Honda Civic as it’s not big enough and the estate is rare and expensive

There have been quite a few bits of bad advice but this one is particularly bad

Edited by Avant on 29/09/2019 at 13:37

Honest John questions - Falkirk Bairn

Auris hybrid estate & Avensis is the local chice near me.

Honest John questions - Avant

I see plenty of Skoda taxis around - maybe they're mostly manuals, although the wet-clutch DSG (as ftted to cars with 2.0 petro or diesel engines) is OK provided that it's properly mantained.

If it were me buying a taxi, I think I'd go for a Toyota, probably a Prius as it has more room than a Corolla. I think the Avensis hs been dropped so one of these would need to be secondhand.

Diesels used to be the obvious choice for taxi work, but I wonder if there would now be DPF problems if most of the work is in town or city centres. One of our experts will probably be able to tell us if the frequent use compensates for the short journeys.

Honest John questions - craig-pd130

Most of the private hire cabs around here are Superbs, Octavias or Mark IV Mondeos. A few Priuses and Auris hybrid estates

Honest John questions - daveyjp
Never been in a Skoda auto taxi. I probably never will as Toyota Hybrids are taking over the world!
Honest John questions - Heidfirst

If it were me buying a taxi, I think I'd go for a Toyota, probably a Prius as it has more room than a Corolla. I think the Avensis hs been dropped so one of these would need to be secondhand.

Diesels used to be the obvious choice for taxi work, but I wonder if there would now be DPF problems if most of the work is in town or city centres. One of our experts will probably be able to tell us if the frequent use compensates for the short journeys.

A Corolla TS has same wheelbase as Prius/Avensis & larger boot volume than a Prius or Avensis TS - no diesel option though.

I think that taxi DPFs generally don't suffer from short trips because the engines get to warm up thoroughly during the day & presumably also get a chance for the DPF to regenerate. The problem with DPFs & short journeys afaik arises where people are doing just the occasional short trip (e.g. mile or 2 to the station/shops) & the return - the engine never fully warms up, nor the DPF & a regen may not complete.

Edited by Heidfirst on 29/09/2019 at 14:23

Honest John questions - groaver

I pass four Superbs liveried up with taxi signs every day on way to and back from work.

They seem popular around here.

Honest John questions - badbusdriver

There is a Skoda Superb taxi parks round the corner from where i live. Not sure, but i suspect it isn't a DSG, it appears to be a pretty basic spec. Does seem odd to be recommending a car with a gearbox like that, as, while what Avant says about the 'wet clutch' variant is correct, that 'correctly maintained' part doesn't really fit into the taxi ethos!. Not to mention the fact that lifespan will also be affected by how the car is driven, and given how taxi's round here are driven, i wouldn't hold up much hope for a DSG Superb, wet clutch or not!.

As for the Insignia, i see plenty of them as taxi's, so maybe trade avoiding them is geographic?. And apart from the Fiat sourced diesel engine (though i believe the 2.0 is better than the smaller ones?), i was under the impression they were fairly dependable.

Re the Civic, the trade may well avoid them, but i suspect not due to them being too small. Why?, because of the amount of Skoda Rapid/Seat Toledo taxi's i see round these parts. While the boot on that two are big for there size, they are smaller than a Civic, and the cabin itself is much smaller. Keeping with Honda, i am aware of a 7th gen ('02-'08) Accord estate taxi!.

Honest John questions - groaver

I pass four Superbs liveried up with taxi signs every day on way to and back from work.

They seem popular around here.

Ah, apologies, in my rush to reply I failed to note the dsg part.

I'll need to look at the ones I pass if they are parked up in my town.

Yes, given the history of the boxes, I'm not sure they would be on a recommended list for taxi drivers.

Honest John questions - SLO76
I did read that too and thought it wasn’t the best of advice. On paper the big Skoda is an excellent big taxi but in reality the DSG box (wet or dry clutch) simply isn’t durable enough for the job and few owners maintain them with main dealers as they’re due a service every few months adding too much to running costs.

The trade (certainly here anyway) won’t touch an automatic Ford or VAG model. Toyota seems to be the current favourite with West Scotland and Glasgow full of Avensis and Auris estates in various specifications. The Insignia is a rare sight and doesn’t cope well with the job either. The Fiat designed diesels tend to fall off a cliff at 70k and beyond reliability wise. I wouldn’t touch one.

I’ve spotted a few Civic and CRV 1.6 diesels with plates but don’t personally know any drivers who run one so can’t comment on how they’re coping but drivers tend to talk and follow recommendations of others who’ve had good service.
Honest John questions - concrete

The only taxi I have been in that was automatic was a Mercedes. The rest have all been manuals and Skoda Octavias are the majority. Especially with the old PD130 diesel engine. They will do starship mileages and are much sought after. I sold mine with over 210K miles and a guy came all the way from Essex to collect it. Paid me in cash too. He said the minor niggles on an 11 year old car didn't matter to him. The engine and gearbox were the main attraction. He might even strip it down for parts. I do now see a lot of Uber taxis with Toyotas though, A growing trend. If they are reliable then word spreads. Cheers Concrete