RR Evoque post 2015 DPF and Oil dilution issues - autumnboy

Range Rover Evoque post 2015 Ingenium 2.0 Diesel, DPF and Oil dilution issues.

Are these issues solely applied to the type of 'Shopping or School runs' or does it also apply to regular 'Motorway driving' too. ?

RR Evoque post 2015 DPF and Oil dilution issues - autumnboy

With the issues of Oil dilution due to interrupted Regens of the DPF a major factor..

This is a major issue for these engines across the JLR range as read, other than noting a change in engine tickover speeds or exhaust note etc.

Is there any visual indicator/warning light to say the DPF regen is running if not. Has any of Remapping world modified the maps to help this issue with a visual indicator on the dash when the regen is running.

RR Evoque post 2015 DPF and Oil dilution issues - CHarkin

Is there any visual indicator/warning light to say the DPF regen is running if not. Has any of Remapping world modified the maps to help this issue with a visual indicator on the dash when the regen is running.

I have long bemoaned the lack of any driver indication of DPF activity on VAG cars, its the root of so many problems that are preventable. It is in fact possible to get the information you need on what the DPF is doing but it requires a little plug in device for the diagnostic port and an app on your phone. There are various apps but the one I use is called VAGDPF for Android and its brilliant, not sure which app is best for other makes of cars. I know the soot loading, the ash loading and when a regeneration starts and finishes along with lots of other info. Not interrupted a regeneration for many months.

RR Evoque post 2015 DPF and Oil dilution issues - Ta-Ta JLR

All Evoque/DS/E-Pace diesel cars will suffer oil dilution causing service interval to be reduced to as few as 10,000 miles (assuming 10% dilution). Low speed / short duration driving will cause DPF clogging. The exhaust design has not changed for the new 20MY D150 and D180 mild hybrids so improvement is not possible.

As JLR' engineering makes clear in their letter to dealers, do not buy this car for urban or rural drive cycles.

www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&...9

Edited by RAV4 Owner on 23/09/2019 at 10:41

RR Evoque post 2015 DPF and Oil dilution issues - nick62

All Evoques fitted with JLR's own Wolverhampton built "Ingenium" 2.0l diesel engine (approx. 2015 on), are not fit for purpose. The physical layout of the bodyshell means the DPF is located too far downstream of the exhaust manifold to passively regenerate, (the exhaust gas is too cool by the time it reaches the DPF). So the car initiates active regeneration and this is causing oil dilution problems.

Apparently the new model Evoque recently launched has not full addressed this issue either?

How JLR have "got away" with this is beyond me.

Maybe they need to start fitting their cars with shorter dipsticks? ;)

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - Ta-Ta JLR

Obviously JLR made a huge mistake by not fitting the XE-type DPF to 16MY and later DS, Ewok and F-Pace. But instead of redesigning it for PTA in 20MY and beyond, they tried to hide it by increasing diesel dilution to 10%. As word spreads about diesel dilution and DPF failures fewer people will want diesels and overall sales of the affected cars will drop. Halewood went from 3 to 2 shifts 18 months ago and a further 7,000 cut in L550/551 production is being negotiated with Unite.

JLR's warranty provision has risen to 4% of sales and tme will tell if this is just a 'blip' or part of a longer trend : the total set aside for warranty work is now £2 bn and counting. Two law firms are running group legal claims on behalf of 44,000 owners affected by the emissions recall for mis-stated CO2 emissions. They are assessing the level of demand for additional claims for the cost of extra servicing, DPF work and other failures connected to the faulty exhaust architecture. Once all the dots have been joined up, JLR might finally be forced to face the music.

Edited by Ta-Ta JLR on 24/09/2019 at 11:26

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - badbusdriver

Quite like the sound of the RR Ewok!.

Alas, while it would probably be cute, it would be just as unreliable as the rest of the range :-(

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - oldroverboy.

Just to add a bit to the LR woes,

Tlaking to a techie who works at a dealers at the weekend, not to be named for fear of reprisals.

3 new cars delivered.

2 would not start when customer came to collect. Third got a mile or so down the road, returned with dashboard lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree.

If i had been one of those customers, I would have rejected the car outright.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/09/2019 at 13:10

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - Ta-Ta JLR

I was standing in a well-known Surrey dealership on Friday and two customers could be heard discussing this issue heatedly with their respective service agents. I listened carefully to the pathetic, disingenuous, DS-planation being given to the owner of a 30 month old Discovery Sport which had seen its first service at 2 years old. The owner was demanding to know why his car required another service (for which they wanted to charge him £240) only 8 months and 6,000 miles after the first one.

Of course, this question is straightforward for anybody who's been following this issue for the past two years: his car had been "upgraded" with N289 which meant that it had - for the first time since it left Halewood - a fully-functional, oil dilution-sensitive, service indicator. Of course, the rate of diesel dilution is no higher than it had been during the first two years, it's just that now this owner, like thousands of others, has been alerted to its presence.

The technical evidence suggests that Jaguar Land Rover sold tens of thousands of faulty 2.0 litre D8-chassis diesel cars from September 2015. "Faulty" in the sense that they all suffered from massive diesel dilution (indy repairers say that 20% dilution was common) while at the same time being fitted with a faulty service indicator that "conveniently" concealed the damaging effects of the oil contamination. Come on - what are the chances of that? Service intervals reduced on average by 60%, soot production up by a factor of 200% to 300%. Haven't I heard this somewhere else recently? Oh, yes that's right: Volkswagen cars AFTER cheat devices were forcibly removed following action in the courts.

There's now a technical guide answering the OP's question and much more. Essential reading for any prospective buyer of the JLR D8 transverse diesel but priceless if you're trying to reject a poor quality, misrepresented money-pit.

www.dropbox.com/s/d0bcrd7sve4l598/D8_Dilution_Expl...1

Edited by Ta-Ta JLR on 10/11/2019 at 18:32

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - daveyjp

Against advice a relative bought an Evoque which is now just over three years old. He bought the cheapest 2wd model.

He doesn't do the mileage for a diesel, but he ignored everyone. Oil dilution, pollution system faults and at 3 years 2 months he has been asked to pay almost £200 for a main dealer to find a fault manifesting itself as a rattle under the engine,

He's been told a heatshield has worked loose, it can be replaced for the sum of £1100! He's going to see his mate who's a welder.

Evoque/DS/F-Pace Oil dilution issues - Happy Blue!

We had the 2.0 2WD Evoque on a two year lease during which time it needed three oil services. The pretty but stroppy girl on the service desk was ignorant, rude and a lying little ***** when I told her the reason. Luckily the car went back before we got into the costs too much.

Dreadful car in general but SWMBO wanted one..