Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - mikedobbie73

I've recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus ST. When do cars generally need rustproofing again and protecting with underseal from rust?

I intend to look after the Focus ST i've just bought for investment purposes so keen to ensure it's fully protected from rust

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2019 at 00:21

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Andrew-T

That seems a strangely outdated question to an oldie like me. I would posit that most car owners don't expect a car to last much over 12 years, and most cars will last that long anyway unless they have a very hard time or were a severe Friday-car to start with.

If you plan to keep a Focus until it becomes a classic, that is another matter I suppose. If you are undersealing the floorpan it will need a thorough clean first, and regular inspections from then on. It may be equally important to look inside the box sections, but that is getting serious.

When all is said and done, covering incipient rust with underseal can do more harm than good. The car is already 7 years old. I suggest it may be better to keep the underside clean, rather than covering it.

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/09/2019 at 10:41

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Galaxy

My Ford Mondeo is 13 years old. Generally the underside of the car is pretty good. The originally protected areas appear to still be in excellent condition and the protection applied when new is still sound and in very good condition.

However, what has suffered over the years are all the unprotected parts. Things like track control arms, subframes, etc. If you were really fussy about your car, which I'm not, then I would guess it would probably be a good idea to protect all these too. Mind you, a considerable amount of dismantling may be necessary in order to be able to do a perfect job.

I actually spoke to my MOT tester about this a couple of weeks ago. He confirmed the underside was in pretty good condition for a car of this age. When I mentioned about the rust which had formed on the unprotected parts he replied that they all go like that - There are no structural problems with any of them whatsoever, they just don't look very nice!

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - RT

The OP looks like a spam post to me.

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Galaxy

Hmmmmmm!

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - RJ414i

I had my 05 55 reg Focus Estate MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and was talking to the tester [who i have known for many years] when he was under the car.

The car passed with no issue's and he said it was in good condition for it's age underneath but said that there could be rust problems in 3 to 4 years.

I suppose 17/18 years old ain't too bad before before the tin worm starts to get in.

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Avant

Link removed anyway, just in case.

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - edlithgow

and again....

Spring

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Big John

Funny spam-esque thread however on a serious note for rustproofing:-

• Don't underseal subframes and suspension - seems to encourage rust tracking underneath it
  • Owatrol oil is amazing stuff especially on suspension parts/subframes/steel sumps! (My wife was given a garden ornament that started rusting as soon as it was placed outside - wiped with Owatrol oil and it's not rusted since)
Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - gordonbennet

Never heard of Owatrol Oil before, but have looked it up now.

Interesting it can be mixed with oil based paints, that has interesting possibilities for chassis painting after derusting.

Wonder if its a similar product to ACF50 (similarly not cheap but quality products tend not to be), which i am now using via a spray bottle because it doesn't cover any visible rust so much as soak into it so allowing you to keep an eye on it.

The problem with car underbodies is abrasion and heavy water/salt spray, but it becomes obvious if you take an interest in what is happening underneath where the heavy abrasion and possible weak areas will be on your particular vehicle so you can give those sections a frequent blast...in my own case i initially coat the undersides and cavities) with suitable Bilt Hamber's underbody waxes, then if abrasion areas become obvious i spray with ACF50 twice a year, that method appears to be working well...the heavy abrasion and weak points on Prado/Landcruisers are both ends of the inner sills outside of the separate chassis rails, plus the chassis itself in the area and at the rear of the car, no deterioration visible since i've been using the above method, which is good because those sill areas can perforate if left.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/10/2019 at 10:10

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Andrew-T

I seem to remember from way back (60s or 70s) someone reporting amazing rust-prevention with compounds of technetium (unless I'm imagining this) which is a very rare slightly radioactive element in the middle of the periodic table. Ring any bells?

I seem to remember from way back (60s or 70s) someone reporting amazing rust-prevention with compounds of technetium (unless I'm imagining this) which is a very rare slightly radioactive element in the middle of the periodic table. Ring any bells?

From Wickipedia

"As noted, the radioactive nature of technetium (3 MBq/L at the concentrations required) makes this corrosion protection impractical in almost all situations. Nevertheless, corrosion protection by pertechnetate ions was proposed (but never adopted) for use in boiling water reactors."

That said, I had a largish diagnostic dose of technetium-99m-MDP a few years ago and there isn't usually much rust on me, unless I've been rolling in it.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/10/2019 at 03:12

Sounds similar to Penetrol (Australian product IIRC) which is an alkyd resin and seems pretty versatile.

You can't of course get any of this stuff in Taiwan, but I have thought of bringing some in to up the technology level of my sunflower oil/aluminium treatment for steel.

This is fairly effective and very cheap but has the following disadvantages.

1. Fairly slow setting time. Not much of a problem on the underside but used topsides it collects dust.

2. Biodegradeable, a problem in enclosed wet spaces where it grows mold, though this tendency can be reduced by mixing with mineral oil.

3. Overpainting uncertainty. I'd assume it wouldn't be a good basis for a finish coat, though I've no interest in cosmetics, so am unlikely to find out.

Since alkyd resin is a paint thinner it should be OK as a base coat.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/10/2019 at 03:28

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - piyaty

If you plan to keep a Focus until it becomes a classic, that is another matter I suppose. If you are undersealing the floorpan it will need a thorough clean first, and regular inspections from then on. It may be equally important to look inside the box sections, but that is getting serious.

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - Big John

Owatrol is very different to ACF 50 (which is also a good product)

I sometimes use ACF50 squirted into sills and door/boot/door bottoms as it's very good at penetrating seams and thoroughly rustproofing them whilst it's at it. but on suspension parts etc it does seem to wash off after a while.

After using ACF50 I sometimes follow up with Dinitrol injection wax (on it's own Dinitrol is good but doesn't soak between seams etc)

Owatrol is very different and looks like engine oil (it isn't though) and paints on well and soaks in - it then sort of dries into a resin-esque finish and stays around even after being battered with the great British weather. It's popular with Landrover owners - it was a Landrover nut/ enthusiast that introduced me to it. Try buying a small pot to start with - it goes a long way as well.

Edited by Big John on 19/10/2019 at 22:56

Ford Focus ST - When do cars usually require rustproofing again - gordonbennet

Thanks Big John, i'll try a pot of that stuff, i like the sound of it going hard after a period, i bert a lot of Navara owners wished they'd squirted some inside their chassis.

Yes i know the ACF50 gets washed off, so what i do is use it twice a year on those high abrasion areas on my Toyota, using other rustproofers on those areas i can't really see if there's any deterioration happening underneath the covering.