New, for how long? - Oli rag
I tend to keep my cars for a long time, the current one for 6 years and it’s now 12 years old.I could afford to buy a modest 3 year old replacement from savings but feel reluctant to splash the cash.

My question I guess is how long does the new (or newer) car feeling last you before buyer remorse hits? I would reckon it’s different if you absolutely have to replace the car, but in my case it still works ok, but I’m board with it.

I had a ride in a nearly new Merc C class recently, and although it was very swish, still gave me the feeling that I would have rather bought something different whatever my choice had been.

New, for how long? - Terry W

In my limited experience the new car feeling lasts no longer than the registration plate change or the first supermarket trolley ding. Thereafter it may be a nice car but no longer "new".

Depending on individual financial circumstances there is an ever growing feeling of superiority over other drivers whose new cars may depreciate by £2-5k compared to one 12 years old which can't depreciate any more. This assumes the 12 year old is reliable and still meets your needs.

New, for how long? - groaver

Satisfaction over superiority, I would hope.

No one likes a smug git. ;)

New, for how long? - catsdad
I got blase about new cars as such when I worked in car rental for a few months, reinforced by a succession of new company cars over 25 years. Some of them were very nice cars (V6 Mondeo, Saab 9-5, Bmw 3 series. Only one was a dog from day 1, a 2l petrol Vectra. But good or bad the new feeling lasted only a few weeks.

Now retired, nearly new (but new "to me") and making it last is now where I am at. I take pleasure in ownership and the flattening depreciation. I am amazed at what friends shell out for cars but each to their own.

I intend to keep the Civic to about the 10 year, 100k+ mark. But if it plays up badly before then I wouldn't hesitate to change. When I do change I doubt that buying nearly new and repeating the 10 year feat will be easy given the increasing complexity of cars.

Now where did I leave my Werthers Originals...........
New, for how long? - galileo

Given the tales of woe on this forum regarding new gadgets and features malfunctioning and the eye-watering costs of fixing/replacing them, I am very reluctant to part with thousands of pounds for a new car so long as my current 10 year-old one keeps going.

With a new car, as well as depreciation, dealer servicing for the length of the guarantee can be more costly than using a trusted independent.

Not sure whether insurance premiums for a £20,000 car are more than for a £3000 one, but all in all I think an older, well maintained vehicle is a sensible option.

New, for how long? - SteveLee

Never bought a new car in my life, IMHO it's just not worth it (unless you're buying a budget car to run into the ground) I tend to buy two or three year old high spec models. If you want that "new car" feel - clean it and drive around with an open pot of PVA in the car. Now motorbikes - I usually buy new - can't be too careful on two wheels. A badly repaired car is unlikely to kill you - bikes on the other hand...

New, for how long? - focussed

I've had a lot of new cars as company cars, all Volvo's in the eighties, I wasn't particularly impressed, they started to feel old and loose pretty quickly as happens with a company car that gets flogged around. I've also had a couple of new pre-reg Hondas of my own- both with less than 100 miles on them. The UK built Civic FN3 was nice but started to feel old at about 4 years from purchase - rattles, squeaks, trim getting loose, sloppy noisy steering, suspension noise etc, it also didn't feel "tight" from new. The current japan-built Accord Tourer feels like a new car every time i get in it, when it was new everything felt new and stiff, gearchange, steering, etc and it took 5k for it to loosen up instead of being loose from new.It' still feels "tight"- the trim doesn't rattle or squeak, the doors still have that new car "clunk" instead of the Civic's "boing" noise when it got old.

Sorry - I know you are all fed up up hearing about my Hondas!

New, for how long? - Happy Blue!

Am on my second car I have kept for more than three years. Will keep it a while longer as it is almost eight years old but has only done 53,000 miles.

I am away on business at the moment, renting a Vauxhall Crossland. I won't be buying one new or used. Far too complicated.

New, for how long? - groaver

The current japan-built Accord Tourer feels like a new car every time i get in it, when it was new everything felt new and stiff, gearchange, steering, etc and it took 5k for it to loosen up instead of being loose from new.It' still feels "tight"- the trim doesn't rattle or squeak, the doors still have that new car "clunk" instead of the Civic's "boing" noise when it got old.

Sorry - I know you are all fed up up hearing about my Hondas!

I've always found Japanese built cars to be better than their European built versions.

New, for how long? - edlithgow

To quote Steve McQueen in The Hunter

"New things are no good"

If it was true in 1980, its likely truer now.

New, for how long? - John F
I tend to keep my cars for a long time .........

So do we....average age twenty three, the youngest (my A8) 13yrs

My question I guess is how long does the new (or newer) car feeling last you before buyer remorse hits?

I think the answer depends upon how much homework and consideration was given to the purchase in the first place. We change our cars as infrequently as possible and spend much time selecting a replacement. For the last few weeks we have been thinking about replacing our nearly 19yr old Focus (son needs it soon) and have narrowed it down to a Crossland, Pug 2008 or Seat Arona. Must be petrol, auto, central arm rest and no lip loading at the back. Have driven all three so far - Crossland seems to have best ride despite what the press says. Any other ideas welcome!

New, for how long? - Leif
I tend to keep my cars for a long time, the current one for 6 years and it’s now 12 years old.I could afford to buy a modest 3 year old replacement from savings but feel reluctant to splash the cash. My question I guess is how long does the new (or newer) car feeling last you before buyer remorse hits?

If you mean how long does the excitement of a new car last, the answer is not long, as before me others have said.

I would reckon it’s different if you absolutely have to replace the car, but in my case it still works ok, but I’m board with it. I had a ride in a nearly new Merc C class recently, and although it was very swish, still gave me the feeling that I would have rather bought something different whatever my choice had been.

I think you buy a replacement car if the current one has failed catastrophically, or it is becoming or about to become expensive to maintain and/or unreliable, or it lacks some must have feature such as space for a new family member.

Being bored of a car is not the best reason to replace it unless you can easily absorb the financial hit. It's only a car. What does bored mean in that context? I sold my last car in part because I was bored of it. However I also wanted something quieter and more comfortable, with more room inside. The gains from the new car were significant and worthwhile IMO and the old one had done 130,000 miles and was in danger of becoming expensive to maintain going on past cars.

Perhaps a boring car is preferable to an 'interesting' (fault ridden) new car?