Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo prolem - what would you do? - Roland Browning

I have been reading with interest posts relating to problems folk have been experiencing with various VW cars with 1.5 evo engines. I wish I had read this sooner! Anyhow, apologies if this is boring, but I am seeking advice as to what to do next, and am hoping that I will find some help here.

Briefly.... I purchased a brand new Golf in Jan with said engine via a PCP. All was well until May when, at 3000 miles the EPC warning light came on and the car went into limp mode.

The car was taken to the Dealers, who after 3 days of fobbing me off provided a courtesy car. (a nice one I should add in their defence).

Now a month on I still do not have my car. I am being bounced between VW 'Customer Service' (apparently that is not a joke!) and the Dealer's service department, who between them are blaming each other for the lack of progress. I have read up on here, so am aware of the fault and software fix which does not seem to be forthcoming.

The courtesy car (a VW mobility provided one) I mentioned whilst nice, does not suit my needs - predominantly because it is a saloon, and I need a hatchback to transport my dog around. The car also has a 'pre-sense' fault. I have reported this but again have been fobbed off.

So, what would you do? Should I now be getting grumpy and going down the 'take my car back' route? Or sit it out?

Thoughts / advice / experiences sought and welcome. Thanks

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo prolem - what would you do? - sammy1

I like you, think you have been messed about too long. I would contact the PCP company that ultimately own the car and inform them of the situation. You are paying a lot of money for nothing!

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo prolem - what would you do? - skidpan

You have had the car less than 6 months and the dealer/VW are messing you about. Having given them plenty of opportunity to sort this issue (which they have not) its time to reject but make it quick, after 6 months the rules change and make it more difficult.

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo prolem - what would you do? - Waino

"Having given them plenty of opportunity to sort this issue (which they have not) its time to reject but make it quick, after 6 months the rules change and make it more difficult."

As I understand it, the rules only change if you identify and make a complaint after 6 months have passed since purchase; in that case, the onus shifts to the purchaser to prove that they haven't caused the problem. However, you really should have evidence, preferably written, that you have formally complained before the 6 months have passed. And, of course, if you wish to reject the car, it's best done as soon as possible.

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo prolem - what would you do? - skidpan

As I understand it, the rules only change if you identify and make a complaint after 6 months have passed since purchase

That is almost certainly the truth but surely its better to avoid any additional disagreements and strike before the date arrives and gives them the opportunity to try and find a get out of jail free card.

Having a similar issue at present with a watch I bought late December. It had a problem (it stopped) back in late April and was returned and supposedly repaired. Last week the exact same problem happened again (it stopped) and I contacted the seller to reject it (still within 6 months). His first reply was "we don't have to comply with the consumer laws" and after I suggested that perhaps they apply all retailers he changed that to "the manufacturer will not allow us to refund purchases".

They are currently reviewing my rejection letter.

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - Avant

I am a watch. I'm getting p***ed

Off with my life on Skidpan's wrist.

Perhaps he'll put me up for sale:

In other hands I'll never fail.

With John F I'd have my best chance.....

I don't need any maintenance.

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - badbusdriver

I don't need any maintenance.

You are wasted on here Avant!

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - Engineer Andy

I wonder if they provide 'courtesy watches'? You know, a smaller watch with no features, painted sold white that loses time because it goes slowly (small mechanism?)...

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - skidpan

I don't need any maintenance

Deary deary Avant, you have really lost it now.

I remember a couple of years ago when you thanked me for alerting you to JohnF's dangerous suggestions and asked me to keep an eye out for more. At the time you warned him to stop it but obviously he ignored you and continues to do so.

Now you appear to find his nonsense perfectly acceptable (you do nothing about it) as you do the SPAM that only gets deleted when some viewers may have had chance to download infected files.

Perhaps its time for you to retire and let the site get a new more active moderator that deletes the rubbish and allows good advice.

(Edit: please note that most spam is deleted automatically: any that isn't I check and delete every day. Avant)

Edited by Avant on 13/06/2019 at 00:21

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - SLO76
“I am a watch. I'm getting p***ed

I don't need any maintenance”

Take it in the spirit it’s meant Skidpan

it’s just a bit of fun.

I think rather well done.
Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - Nomag

Absolutely priceless Avant.

The funniest thing I have ever read on this forum ;)

Long may your moderating continue!

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - piggy

Absolutely priceless Avant.

The funniest thing I have ever read on this forum ;)

Long may your moderating continue!

+1

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - sammy1

I cannot believe that a perfectly serious question has deteriorated into this d*****! How about some good advice to the chap who has posted this about the load of VW junk that is sitting in the dealer for the last month!

why has the site stared D RIVEL it means NONSENSE according to my dictionary

(Edit: Just for information, Sammy, we have a swear filter for reasons of 'keeping it clean'. I acknowledge that the word in question isn't a swear-word, but the filter also blanks out words which don't need to be used on a forum like this.)

Edited by Avant on 13/06/2019 at 01:01

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - SLO76
“How about some good advice to the chap who has posted this about the load of VW junk that is sitting in the dealer for the last month!”

Fair point. I’d reject it. This engine has a design flaw that VW hasn’t managed to rectify yet and any post production fix is likely to lead to more trouble. The emissions fix on pre 2015 diesels has caused countless EGR failures and hits performance and economy. It’s not something you want to keep.

VW are bad for rushing new tech to market without fully testing it in my opinion. Yes they eventually get it right (early chain driven TSi v later belt for example) but loads of punters suffer serious failures as a result. This is very British Leyland of them and something they need to sort soon. Customers shouldn’t be the firms test drivers.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Edited by SLO76 on 12/06/2019 at 21:54

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - nick62

I've worked for / with German companies for 30+ years and they have always been "so-and-so's" for letting the customer do the post-protyping in my experience. I'm not sure they are unique though?

Edited by nick62 on 12/06/2019 at 22:21

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - galileo

I've worked for / with German companies for 30+ years and they have always been "so-and-so's" for letting the customer do the post-protyping in my experience. I'm not sure they are unique though?

Many years ago (when we had lots of British car makers here) there were several cases of a new model being released and after a year or so when customers had found the weak point they would release a Mark2 which had a fix for the problem.

Examples which come to mind - Ford Zephyr Mk IV, released with 14" rims then modified to 15", Mark1 Hillman Imps with pneumatic throttle and excessive front wheel camber, Mk 2 with bigger clutch, improved suspension geometry and cable throttle. Triumph's first fuel injected saloons and sports cars were also prone to fuel system failures. Lotus Cortinas had the rear suspension changed to a more conventional layout due to rapid A-bracket wear, as I recall.

Customers can abuse/mistreat a car in ways that it is hard to test for, but really poor design features don't seem to be that common now.

Golf 1.5 SE - Golf 1.5 evo problem - what would you do? - Roland Browning

Thanks for your replies so far - all of them!

I wrote a grumpy letter to the Dealer, and have just received a call back. They have 'good news' and have been able to implement a fix suggested by VW. This is the same fix that they told me last week was unacceptable as it was merely turning the fault light out and not implementing the software fix (because they don't have one).

I've told them Im not happy to have the car back as this has not fixed the problem, to which I am told it might just have been a blip which made the light go on and now its off - they have test driven it and its still off.

So, dear people, where do I stand legally with this? It's not fixed, but it might be. I've no confidence in the car anymore and my 'enjoyment' of having a new vehicle has been taken away.

Help (again)

Many thanks

Roly

It seems to me that you would be able to reject the car using the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It is ridiculous that they have had your car for 4 weeks and are trying to give it back to you on a wing and a prayer. It is well documented the problems that consumers have with this engine and this largely helps your case.

However these dealerships are well versed in fobbing customers off so you need to be very firm with them. On this site there are many instances where HJ advises sending a letter to the Dealer Principal by recorded delivery rejecting the car on the problems outlined.

In view of the large sum of money involved I would consider a solicitors letter to shake them up, better than spending years with a car you have no faith in.

Lastly I earlier suggested you contact the PCP company, they will have access to their own legal advice and they will have to unwind the finances. I think it is as much their problem as yours. Is any of the transaction on credit card as this may be another avenue?