VW Up - What constitutes a service? - Matthew Field

Hi,

After some advice. We purchased a second hand up through a small second hand dealer and were told the car would be serviced prior to our receiving it.

A month after we'd had it the service light came on. I took the car to my usual garage to reset the warning as I figured the dealers garage had forgotten to reset it. My garage told me that the Up should have had the cambelt changed at the service but this hadn't been done. I asked them to do the belt as though I'm not very mechanically minded my dad taught me enough that driving with a cambelt that should have been changed isn't great.

I then contacted the dealer and explained the situation. He told me that a cambelt was not a routine service item and that its replacement would have had to been negotiated into the selling price if I had wanted it done at the time.He argued that a service is an oil change, check the breaks etc but nothing more. I'm very used to taking my car for a service and whatever needs doing being done with them contacting me to check its ok to do any more expensive items - such as a belt - before they carry out the work.

My garage says I've been done. I've written a couple of times to the dealer asking it to put its position in writing but have had no response - I am just being completely ignored.

Advice welcome. Thanks

VW Up - What constitutes a service? - Palcouk
If a used car dealer says it will be serviced prior to sale/collection, that means nothing, it often means just checking the fluids and a visual inspection, only if the service book is stamped/signed could anything be read into the type of service. undertaken.
You dont say how much you paid for the car or whether it was sold with 'Full service history' only if it was might you be able to push the dealer into complying with that.
And yes, it sounds like you have been done/turned over
VW Up - What constitutes a service? - Bromptonaut

Don't think I would expect a cambelt to be part of a routine service. Yes, it's replacement might be advised at a mileage that corresponds to a service but I'd expect to be asked if i wanted it doing. On my Roomster it's £400+ as a standalone item including ancillaries and a water pump which common sense says should be replaced while belt is off and it's accessible.

Buying a car close to cambelt change mileage I'd be asking for job to be done or cost factored into deal.

VW Up - What constitutes a service? - alan1302

If they say they have serviced it I'd expect nothing else than an oil change and a general check...anything else would be an extra cost.

VW Up - What constitutes a service? - gordonbennet

Yes, oil change and £1.25 unheard of oil filter about as much you can expect, unless it's a very good dealer and you are paying a very good price, in which case i would expect a proper service including brake servicing all filters changed and all levels checked and topped up.

However the cambelt is not part of a routine service, though some dealers of general used cars do change the cambelt unless there is evidence its been recently done on every car they sell, obviously not £250 bangers sold almost as scrap.

Your case is typical of the type of dealer i expect you unfortunately bought from, no one would expect you, the man in the street, to know that the car you were about to buy was due a cambelt change, but the dealer unless he's a fool would have known and should for his own peace of mind...keeping in mind he's warranting the car himself for 6 months...have changed the belt as it was so close to due date.

I hope the car was underpriced so you're not out of pocket once the belt is changed, this is probably at least part of the reason the last owner got rid, unfortunately by getting your mechanic to renew the belt you've removed any chance of him doing it, i would be very surprised if he will foot the bill, chances are he has a tame mechanic who would have done the bare minimum, ie new belt only without any pulleys/tensioners/pumps, so in the grand scheme of things so long as the car was cheap you've probably had a better job done by your chap.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/05/2019 at 18:06

VW Up - What constitutes a service? - Matthew Field

Many thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom - won't be trying the small claims route!

VW Up - What constitutes a service? - Gibbo_Wirral

From VW themselves

MINOR SERVICE:

Oil & filter change. Replace pollen filter (where required). Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks,battery, coolant levels, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system. Full vehicle road test. Diagnostic check including report. Re-set service interval display.

MAJOR SERVICE:

Oil & filter change. Replace pollen filter. Replace air filter. Spark plugs (petrol engine) or fuel filter (diesel engine). Remove wheels and check brakes. Check/adjust tension of all drive belts. Check gearbox oil level. Check final drive oil level. Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant levels, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts, suspension and exhaust system. Full vehicle road test. Diagnostic check including report. Re-set service interval display. Volkswagen stamp in service book.