Audi A1 - Spark change - Geoffm

Hi

As I have owned diesels for many years I have not needed to worry about petrol engine servicing until now, my daughter has an Audi A1 1.2 FSi that requires a service no problem I thought until I came to the spark plugs in essence how do you A; remove the coil caps & B; get the plug spanner onto and extract the plugs?

Do I really need to strip away the heat guards ect to get better access to the caps & plugs it actually looks like a garage job, all help and advice greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Audi A1 - Spark change - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly,how many miles has the car done? Plugs on these have a service life of around 40 k miles +. The caps can be tricky to remove as they are normally very tight . You will need a special long reach socket to remove the spark plugs. It is not necessary to remove the heat guards.

Audi A1 - Spark change - Geoffm

Thanks for the reply, the car is coming up to 40K now, I have the plug socket to remove/replace the plugs its getting the caps off that the problem, just so much stuff in the way to get access to take at least 3 of them off.

Audi A1 - Spark change - edlithgow

For context, my past cars have included a Marina 1800 and a Lada Mk1 1200.

My current car is a rather decrepit 1986 Daihatsu Skywing.

Unlike Audi, these are not generally regarded as high quality cars.

This sounds like appallingly bad design to me.

(I just pasted that in from the last Audi thread. I daresay there'll be temptations to do it again in the next Audi thread, but I'll resist them. One could probably say the same about rather many modern cars, but I've avoided them so far.)