Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - Free-man

So more problems!

Private seller blatantly lied to me about problens with a car I've bought. I really thought he was a nice young man and we had a lovely conversation about how all races and religions must stand together for peace etc. but it seems have been duped in my naivety. Here's me thinking it's against the law to misrepresent something even privately. Car broke down almost straight away after purchase and smoke bellowing out of it.

A long time since I've done this - do I have any comeback whatsoever?

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - dan86

If it was a private seller then highly unlikely. That's why I never buy a car sight unseen even from a reputable dealer.

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - FP

I think you would have a problem proving anything.

As I understand it, the only case you might have against the seller is that he made a factual misrepresentation regarding the car - and you would need proof. So you would need, for example, the advert in which there was something substantial claimed which was untrue, or a witness as to what was said in conversation.

And I think you can forget stuff like "well looked-after, drives well, has never let me down etc."

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - leaseman

With your experience of the delivery arrangements on this car, something smells fishy to me. I think you need to investigate, perhaps by searching for name, 'phone number etc on sale sites to unearth any other activity that points to a door-step trader!

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - FP

Yes, Leaseman could be right and if the seller is a trader after all, then the rules are different and the purchaser has a lot more leverage, including the right to reject the car.

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - paul 1963

WWhat's the back story to this mess? did you buy this car "over the phone"? without actually seeing it ?

I'm afraid to say if you did and it was a private sale your stuffed........

Smoke sounds like turbo, I'm guessing but hope I'm wrong but is it a diesel?

Yes I am the biggest numpty on this site. Guy was just a total liar. I asked lots of questions over the phone and he just totally lied. I asked him to send videos and photos which he did but made sure not to show any of the damage and purposely obscured parts that were a problem. I'd love to track the guy down to be honest and I'm sure I could.

It's a diesel. 140bhp. Smoke pouring from the exhaust and from the back of the engine. Clutch also in trouble.

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - gordonbennet

First thing i would do is check the engine number against the registration document, and check carefully for signs of recently disturbed bolts and fittings, ie exhaust bolts/clamps, if they have been disturbed in the last few days will most likely show evidence.

One might wonder about the reason for the delay in delivery, have you suffered at the hands of one dodgy person or two, which has muddied the waters, could there have been collusion?

What you could do about this another thing entirely, and as said i would never buy a vehicle unseen, even an online auction you can simply walk away if the vehicle proves to be not as described, but not if you don't inspect it before paying up.

Strange conversation with the seller, my discussions with sellers usually centre around discovering if they know what they are talking about, ie if they've described ongoing maintenance it takes only a couple of minutes to work out if they have any real idea what they are talking about.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/03/2019 at 08:54

The truth is, I'm ashamed to admit, that I didn't know much technically to be able to sniff him out. I've been taken for a ride and that's that. Will have to rely on karma now!

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - Andrew-T

Was it a case of 'if it looks too cheap to be true, it probably is' ?

Hah guilty !

Audi A4 - When you're sold a fugazi - quizman

>>>we had a lovely conversation about how all races and religions must stand together for peace

Had he got a Japanese wife, long hair and a Liverpool accent?