Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - nick62

The cynic in me says the USA would have grounded these jets immediately upon the second similar crash if they had been made by Airbus and not Boeing, am I being anti USA?

I travel by air more often than a normal lay person (maybe 20 to 30 flights PA), and I honestly would not have boarded a 737 MAX 8 after the Ethiopian disaster at the weekend, there were just too many similarities which were obvious just a few hours after the terrible event.

Edited by nick62 on 15/03/2019 at 13:52

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - John F

Sadly, it is becoming more and more obvious that the pilots were unaware that they should have RTFM. I suspect the lawyers will be arguing at great expense for years about whose responsibility it was to ensure they knew how to over-ride a malfunctioning MCAS.

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Bromptonaut

Where in TFM was the bit they could R?

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - galileo

The issue is that Boeing knowingly signed the plane off without full details of the software being explained to the FAA. The FAA did not independently test and approve this feature, but took Boeing's word it was safe.

Boeing knew there was a possibly hazardous trim activation function (requiring pilots to react in less than 2 seconds!) but signed it off anyway. Not in line with their claims that "Safety is our number one priority".

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - nick62

Boeing chief exec given his P45:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50893490

Funny how some misguided posters on another similar thread on this forum were saying "an experienced BA pilot would not have crashed":

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/129478/seattle-tim...t

Edited by nick62 on 23/12/2019 at 16:26

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Falkirk Bairn

>>Boeing chief exec given his P45:

It was a P52 apparently

Pay off $52 million

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Avant

i've closed the other thread on this subject. One too many is, I suppose, better than two too many.

Please don't start the same argument up again.

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Bromptonaut

They're moving again.

TUI example G-TUMF has today moved from Tenerife, via Malaga, to Birmingham. Crossed over my place near Northampton about 10 minutes ago. Cruised at 18,000 feet, apparently must keep first stage of flaps deployed so as to prevent MCAS from interfering in the flight.

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Falkirk Bairn

Boeing sold the plane as an upgrade to the previous model(s) - it was not an face lift type upgrade it was new plane, new engines, new wings, new control systems, lack of testing pre-delivery to airlines etc and they wanted to avoid the L O N G and costly certification, training internally at Boeing & all airline staff............. megabucks saved by cutting corners -

A bit like BP cutting corners & saving money until the Gulf blowout that cost BP £62Bn in damages and killed 17.

VW are facing similar costs - currently at about £30Bn but they are still fighting on many fronts in many countries against paying out in the deisel gate scandal. Losing case after case but refusing to accept the obvious.

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - Brit_in_Germany

So how much has Boeing been fined for killing a few hundred passengers?

Any - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - galileo

Here is a link to the Congressional report blaming Boeing and the FAA : confirms what was suspected.

tinyurl.com/y57x2gkm