Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - Jacqueline Fowler

I have a Honda Jazz Auto, I love it but it is 12 years old.

Long story short, I went to my Honda garage for a newer model and drove the new version. It is Awful! Drove like a tank, no pickup at all. I got back in my '57 plate which is nippy and fun to drive and just knew I would not be buying another Honda automatic.

Have you guys any suggestions?

I am thinking about the Toyota Yaris, possibly the hybrid?

I want something light and nippy and fun to drive. Good fuel consumption, and cheap to run. Not much to ask lol!

I could go back to gears I suppose, but automatics are so easy I am reluctant. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - badbusdriver

I have a Honda Jazz Auto, I love it but it is 12 years old.

Long story short, I went to my Honda garage for a newer model and drove the new version. It is Awful! Drove like a tank, no pickup at all. I got back in my '57 plate which is nippy and fun to drive and just knew I would not be buying another Honda automatic.

Have you guys any suggestions?

I am thinking about the Toyota Yaris, possibly the hybrid?

I want something light and nippy and fun to drive. Good fuel consumption, and cheap to run. Not much to ask lol!

I could go back to gears I suppose, but automatics are so easy I am reluctant. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Are sure you were pushing the throttle right down?. I only ask because we have a current shape Jazz EX auto (the 1.3 102bhp), got it new just under 2 years ago. I am constantly impressed with its performance, especially in view of most opinions regarding the car, both 'professional' and otherwise. No, it isn't a rocket ship, but for a 100bhp car, with a CVT auto it is very quick. Incidentally, although i had, out of curiousity, timed it accelerating from 30-70mph and 50-70mph before (and was told by someone on this forum that it couldn't possibly have done 30-70 in the time i recorded), i hadn't bothered about 0-60. But there had been quite a few times, after pulling out on to a main road, from a standstill, i found myself doing 60mph quicker than expected. So a couple of weeks ago the opportunity presented itself, so i took it. Just using the timer on my smart phone and the speedometer, so not official or anything, but i recorded 10.6 seconds to 60mph. According to the manufacturers figures, it takes 12.3 seconds.

One other thing to bear in mind, i remember from the brochure i got reading about how the gearbox 'learns'. So if the car is new, or has only ever been driven like the stereotypical Jazz owner, it may well feel more sluggish. That certainly fits with the fact that ours definately felt like it got faster after a few months. Also bear in mind that the Jazz is available with a 130bhp 1.5 engine as well as the 1.3, but only in sport trim.

Now i'm not trying to put you off the Yaris, i like them well enough, in fact the Yaris was on our shortlist (along with the Mazda 2), but the extra space and flexibility swung it in favour of the Jazz. If you are buying new, it is worth bearing in mind that the non-hybrid 1.5 Yaris has more power that the hybrid (110bhp vs 100bhp) not sure if it feels that way on the road though.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/03/2019 at 21:20

Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - SLO76
The Mazda 2 is the best small auto on the market. Fun to drive, economical and reliable.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190122416...1

Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - Jacqueline Fowler
badbusdriver, what you say sounds correct. When i went for the test drive, the salesman told me he would tell me how to drive the new auto. I was a bit narked as a i was probably driving before he was born lol. He did say to put my foot right down, but this seemed weird to me as I only ever use this technique when I 'kick down' if I want to zoom away. From what you say, I'm wondering if I should go back and give it another test drive? Perhaps it needs more of a Lewis Hamilton approach, than a Jenson Button. ;)

The Mazda 2 is the best small auto on the market. Fun to drive, economical and reliable. Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190122416...1

I would LOVE a Mazda 2, but they all seem just our of my price range. Might have another look. I really want something fun to drive.

What is your budget?, i was assuming you were driving the current shape Jazz, but if the Mazda is outwith your budget i'm now thinking it must have been the previous shape (2008-2015) as the current Jazz wouldn't be much, if any cheaper. Just had a look on Autotrader and the cheapest current shape Mazda 2 auto is £8700, cheapest current shape Jazz (apart from a 106k miles example at £7300) is £8300.

Thanks for the advice, I have bought a Toyoto Yaris.

65 plate, I like it very much so far. Great fun to drive and hopefully will be reliable.

Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - SLO76

Thanks for the advice, I have bought a Toyoto Yaris.

65 plate, I like it very much so far. Great fun to drive and hopefully will be reliable.

It should be but it’s important that any transmission fluid changes are carried out on schedule with CVT gearboxes like this. I’d pay the extra to maintain it at your local Toyota dealer and I’d call to ask when the gearbox fluid change is recommended.
Honda Jazz. - Help! Looking for new Automatic - opinions needed. - TQ

Hyundai i10 auto. or if need bigger i20 auto. Both basic TC autos so likely very reliable. cheaper than Honda/Toyota

Hyundai i10 auto. or if need bigger i20 auto. Both basic TC autos so likely very reliable. cheaper than Honda/Toyota

The current i20 auto has a DCT gearbox and has done since its 2018 facelift. And our assumption, given the mention of the Jazz, was that's the size of car wanted. In which case the i20, good as it is, is probably too small.