Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - Adrian Dobbin

Having an issue at the min with my 2014 308 when starting from a cold start car is almost impossible select reverse ,also 1st gear very notchy ,almost as if you are having to force it into gear ,spoken to Peugeot regarding the gearbox oil which apparently is not scheduled to be changed at any point [should last the life of the car ] ,only time they change it is if they are doing repairs to the gearbox ,One thing i have noticed is the clutch pedal is sticking ,you sometimes have to hook your toe below it before it springs back full distance so i am thinking [hoping ] clutch cable ? Once car warms up and has driven a bit no problems selecting gear ,everything as normal ,car has covered 53,000 miles. Has anybody encountered a similar problem? ,any help greatly appreciated

Also terrible road noise began around the same time ,just got 2 x new tyres fitted and the other 2 x checked so that rules out tyres ,having trouble diagnosing if its a wheel bearing or not ,hope the road noise is not related to the gearbox issue? ,by the way no noise when clutch pedal is pressed in fully or vibration from clutch pedal

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like a clutch issue. Friction or cover plate sticking/seize .

Really hoping its not the clutch as we are intending to sell the car soon and could do without that expense ! Do you think there is anything in my theory regarding clutch cable ? Cars only 53000 miles , i drive an 04 Almera Tino to work and back each day ,its on 165000 on the original clutch!

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - daveyjp
Most cars haven’t had clutch cables for decades. They now use hydraulic systems. Have you had regular brake fluid changes? The same fluid is also often used for clutch system. If not it could be clutch slave cylinder issues due to contaminated fluid.

Car has only ever been to the Peugeot dealers for service etc ,got its 3rd year service Au -Sep last year ,not sure when the brake fluid is scheduled for change but i can ask the dealers is this something they done /should have done

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - RichardW

Have you had any driveshaft work done that might have drained the gearbox oil? PSA boxes are fussy and need 75W80 oil - filling them with std 85W90 oil ruins the change. What sort of noise are you getting? It does sound a bit like the clutch may be on the way out....

No driveshaft work done in my time of owning the car ,bought it at 23,000 miles 2 yr old ,road noise is strange ,was convinced it was the tyres but ,have been trying to diagnose if its a wheel bearing during cornering ,[does the noise stop when weight transfers to drivers /passenger side ] no success as yet , its very noticeable ,not a whiny noise but more a constant hum?

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - Jason Daly

Hey Adrian ,, this is going to sound crazy ,, but I swear I have just brought yout 308 ,, every thing you are saying ,, is exactly tye issues I have with my white 308 feline ,, I keep taking it back to where I purchased but keep getting palmed off ,, I have problems with notchy gears ,, and reverse in the morning is impossible , and ontop of that I have a terrible drianing noise and I can't work out of its a bearing or tyre issue ,, my reg is KV64 ZSJ ,,, its now on 64000 miles ,, dud you ever resolve your issues ,, I really hope you get this message and respond ,, as I'm desperate for help with these issues,,, I await a reply , God u hope you get this ,, many thanks Jason

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - Big John

www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - sashwixon99
Hi Jason,
I have the exact issue with my 14 Peugeot 308 and was looking online for some guidance when I came across this,
Have you had any luck sorting yours? I’m having the exact same probably, first thing in the morning I can’t get into any gears, it firstly started with not being able to get into reverse a few weeks ago to this morning not being able to get into any at all for at least 20 minutes until I forcefully get into gear 1. After about 20 minutes driving they seem to work fine then.
I’ve spoken to 2 mechanics who seem to think it’s the clutch on it’s way out but I’m hopeful it’s not.
The car is in 105,000 miles
Have you had any luck finding out the problem ?
Thanks
Sasha
Peugeot 308 feline - Very hard to select gears from cold start - elekie&a/c doctor
If you can select gears from cold ok with engine not running, then it’s highly likely the mechanics are correct. The clutch needs investigation.