Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Peter Moulder

Wondered if anyone else had any experience of G5 Motors Ltd at Bedford.

I was interested in buying a car they were selling and during an initial telephone conversation they told me I could of course test drive the car. I then exchanged email correspondence with them, explaining that I had a very long way to travel so needed to agree a price beforehand, and that if the car was as described then I would make payment and drive the vehicle away. The email correspondence was laborious and frustrating as the sales person had a very limited command of the English language.

A number of times I requested the name of the person I was corresponding with but they would not reveal it. At no time did they put in writing any specific details of the vehicle that I wished to purchase. I did list specific details of the vehicle in my email correspondence, and I made them an offer accordingly and stated, and I quote: "full payment for the car as seen, tried and approved and no Warranty required. Obviously I would need to see the car and test drive it before paying for it"

They replied accepting my offer, but even though I had made it clear from the outset that I would need to see the vehicle before committing to purchase it, they demanded that I pay in full immediately, adding, and I quote: "Just try your best to deposit today so he don't change his mind".

That was bizarre enough but what was more concerning was that they wanted me to pay the full amount up front to a private individual with an unpronounceable name into a bank account in a foreign country. If I was buying a car from a UK Ltd company I would expect to make payment to a UK bank account that was in the name of that company. I certainly would not expect a reputable dealer to demand payment before a vehicle had been seen.

Edited by Avant on 17/02/2019 at 09:18

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - bathtub tom

Why on earth would you agree to buy a car from a dealer: "full payment for the car as seen, tried and approved and no Warranty required"?

Let alone travel a long way to see it, if you experience any problems after purchase the onus is on you to return it to allow the seller to deal with it.

I reckon anyone willing to put money down on a car sight unseen is walking into a potential scam.

What's so special about this car? I'm sure that if you let us know here what you want and a rough idea of where you're from the forum will find your requirements much closer to home.

Why on earth would you agree to buy a car from a dealer: "full payment for the car as seen, tried and approved and no Warranty required"?

Let alone travel a long way to see it, if you experience any problems after purchase the onus is on you to return it to allow the seller to deal with it.

I reckon anyone willing to put money down on a car sight unseen is walking into a potential scam.

What's so special about this car? I'm sure that if you let us know here what you want and a rough idea of where you're from the forum will find your requirements much closer to home.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I had not the slightest intention "to put money down on a car sight unseen" That's exactly the point I'm making! That I would NOT do that, and nor would a reputable dealer expect you to. I would inspect the car, test drive it, approve it and then pay for it if condition was appropriate. I would expect to make payment to an account in the Ltd company's name. I would not pay in advance for a car without inspecting it first. Less so would I pay money in advance to a private person with a foreign bank account. The whole thing reeked of a scam.

Re a warranty, I prefer to make my own judgement and accept responsibility for any future problems and not have a warranty, but I expect that to be reflected in the purchase price.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Big John

Er You don't mention but can I presume you haven't transferred any money?

Er You don't mention but can I presume you haven't transferred any money?

Absolutely not. As soon as they demanded payment in advance without me inspecting the vehicle I withdrew my interest.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - SLO76
Run for the hills! You’d be mad to even bother viewing a car from such an outfit let alone hand over any money before viewing. Tell us what you’re looking for and roughly where you are and we’ll find better alternatives.
A quick search of their site reveals that the stock mostly high mileage diesel execs and 4wd’s plus ex taxi Prius and a few more mundane models again mostly with six figures up. I couldn’t find anything on their site I’d buy or recommend you do either. Time for rethink I’d say.

What is it you’re looking for, how much do you have to spend, how are you financing it and roughly where do you live? Give us some info and we’ll look for alternatives or try to talk you out of a hugely costly mistake if it’s one of those big mileage diesel execs you were planning on viewing.
Beware G5 Motors Ltd - paul 1963
A quick search of their site reveals that the stock mostly high mileage diesel execs and 4wd’s plus ex taxi Prius and a few more mundane models again mostly with six figures up. I couldn’t find anything on their site I’d buy or recommend you do either. Time for rethink I’d say. What is it you’re looking for, how much do you have to spend, how are you financing it and roughly where do you live? Give us some info and we’ll look for alternatives or try to talk you out of a hugely costly mistake if it’s one of those big mileage diesel execs you were planning on viewing.

Wise words from Mr Slo once again.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Big John

When buying a car from a trader you also have rights :- www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights .

Whether you'd ever see your money again if you had bought a car as above and paid money to a private individual is another matter!

As you have done the best thing to do is run for the hills...

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - SteveLee

Wouldn't touch the vast majority of businesses in Luton with a bargepole.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - FP

"Wouldn't touch the vast majority of businesses in Luton with a bargepole."

The OP says the business is in Bedford. In fact, it seems to be in Barton-le-Clay, whose residents would no doubt be outraged to be considered part of Luton.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Leif

"Wouldn't touch the vast majority of businesses in Luton with a bargepole."

The OP says the business is in Bedford. In fact, it seems to be in Barton-le-Clay, whose residents would no doubt be outraged to be considered part of Luton.

Barton is closer to Luton than Bedford. The countryside there is beautiful, the chalk hills are lovely. But I do agree with the sentiments. I once asked for some WD40 in a garage. The salesman handed me a container with a different brand name. When questioned he said it was the new design of WD40. It’s the most aggressive, ugly and unleasant place I’ve ever lived in.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - KB.

A very brief look suggests G5 Motors shares an address with A6 Motors. A different type of vehicle category seems available there if the G5 ones aren't suitable.

I often think a quick look at the list directors of and how long they've be been in business gives guidance if in doubt ... as well as reviews on various sites. Sometimes the glowing reviews look so good that you would have to wonder if they might, possibly bear further scrutiny.

Actualy in that area I see that there are several cases of car sales outfits sharing the same address but with different identities.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - 72 dudes

I've had a good look at the website and would have no issues buying from them.

After all, nearly all of them have a "superb drive".

Or does that refer to the bit of tarmac they are sitting on?

I notice quite a lot of them have the 'diesel of doom' too.

The OP did the right thing in following Iron Maiden's advice: "Run to the hills; run for your life".

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Glen Powel

Outrageous enough to demand someone pays in advance for a vehicle before they've inspected it. But for a limited company to demand that payment is made into a bank account in a foreign country and into an account not in the company's name is surely in breach of the financial regulations.

Thanks to the OP for exposing this, and good on him for dropping them rapidly.

Edited by Avant on 17/02/2019 at 23:25

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - gordonbennet

If someone can barely put a sentence together in pidgin English, why on earth would you carry on trying to communicate, let alone travel a long distance to look at a car when it's obvious the description is going to be er 'confused' to put it kindly.

I'm unsure about naming them in this context as 'Beware' on this site to be honest, i'd be very surprised if any poster here would have had bothered with them once the lack of basic communication became obvious, a hiding to nothing would just about cover it.

Barton le Clay, a stone's throw from Luton, i spent many a happy day there off-roading at the Devil's Pit.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/02/2019 at 18:40

If someone can barely put a sentence together in pidgin English, why on earth would you carry on trying to communicate, let alone travel a long distance to look at a car when it's obvious the description is going to be er 'confused' to put it kindly.

I'm unsure about naming them in this context as 'Beware' on this site to be honest, i'd be very surprised if any poster here would have had bothered with them once the lack of basic communication became obvious, a hiding to nothing would just about cover it.

Barton le Clay, a stone's throw from Luton, i spent many a happy day there off-roading at the Devil's Pit.

I did not carry on trying to communicate, or travel a long distance so fail to see why you bothered to comment. No point commenting unless you've got something useful to add.

I simply raised the point, from interest more than anything, of a Ltd company trying to get someone to pay money into a foreign bank account in an individual's name for a vehicle that had not even been seen. There was no likelihood whatsoever of me dealing with this company.

From your OP...

''The email correspondence was laborious and frustrating as the sales person had a very limited command of the English language.''

So you did carry on trying to communicate or you didn't?

You may not like my comment, and that's your perogative of course, but if you only want comments of approval could you mention that next time :-)

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - focussed

If you want to have a chuckle, have a look at the details of the company :-)

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10759592/filing...y

If you want to have a chuckle, have a look at the details of the company :-)

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10759592/filing...y

Dodgy as they get.
If you’re still about Peter I’m curious as to which car you intended viewing? I and most others appreciate anyone coming on here to alert people to a dodgy dealer but their stock mostly consists of the sort of cars we’d earn you off. Even if you don’t want to say I’d really advise not buying a high mileage cheap prestige diesel. It’ll be a complete liability.
Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Avant

"I certainly would not expect a reputable dealer to demand payment before a vehicle had been seen."

I didn't get the impression that you had paid anything up front: thanks for the warning. But I've had to delete a few personally insulting comments from some of the posts above. No more of these please.

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Glen Powel

A shame how Forums attract certain unpleasant, unkind people. Unfortunately it does deter decent people from contributing.

A fella has come on here and simply alerted about a dodgy dealer and certain individuals make inane comments that detract from the point originally made. I'm sure he wasn't looking for approval or otherwise so why do certain individuals waste energy with unnecessary confrontational personal insults.

Far as i can see any 'insults' that have had to be deleted by the moderator have been some things said about the garage in question, those posts that Avant has moderated are so marked in italics with his name, interesting to see which posts have required moderating, but pray carry on both of you :-)

I'm a little surprised that the thread title stands as it is to be honest, it's virtually naming and shaming on its own, which is against the usual nature of this forum.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/02/2019 at 09:10

Beware G5 Motors Ltd - Avant

Many thanks GB. I think that's all that needs to be said on this thread.