Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - Pankh

As in the title, why do most (not all) infotainment systems, touchscreens, etc suck so much? Even on fairly decent ranged cars their infotainment can be shown up by a $300 Android tablet, yet the cars themselves cost 20-30k?

What limiting factor is there in this? It's not power, because I can charge said tablet or phone via the car itself. The only saving grace is technologies like Android auto, but that still doesn't improve screen panel quality and touch response.

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - gordonbennet

Maybe others arn't all that bothered about such things, and lots of people are against touch screens in cars anyway because you have to take your eyes off the road to use them when moving.

I'm one that's not bothered, i'm quite happy if its got three old school dials and an on/off button for heating and aircon controls because they tend not to go wrong (pixels can't fail on a dial), so long as it's got decent sound quality i'm happy, and this is where better cars excel due to better soundproofing and larger amplified speakers and higher wattage audio head units.

Not bothered about state of the art, because within a couple of years it's no longer state of the art, you only have to look at mobile phones and the queues of people desperate to buy the next almost identical phone model when it's released, i reckon they need professional help.

So long as it works for many years (20 at least), plays the music source i have, gives good sound quality with decent volume and depth, and most importantly is easy to operate on the move without taking your eyes from the road because the important switches are press buttons not touch screen, then i'm a happy bunny.

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - Metropolis.
Whilst i’d never buy one unless Land Rover go belly up, I do like the Toyota/lexus approach of old, whereby the screen is located up high and whilst being touch screen, does have decently sized physical buttons at each side. I personally don’t mind using older tech and much prefer it to sticking a tom tom on the windscreen. The only limiting factor for me is whether it can be updated with new road layouts etc, some makers are better than others for this!
Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - gordonbennet

I have an older style Toyota system you refer to Metropolis on my 120 series Landcruiser, it has touch screen, but the most important controls are a row of push buttons below and for the audio the most used controls are push buttons on the next level down, sub menus are on the touch screen as are some of the heating ventilation controls, however again those most likely to be used are a row of large touch screen points along the bottom edge of the screen, so once used to the layout, again they can easily be touched without taking your eyes off the road, i give it 9/10.

However as a satnav it's awful, ridiculously complicated and hampered by not having a full postcode facility, once you finally get it programmed a frustrating 20 minutes later it does work well but the mapping is nothing to write home about.

They arn't prone to going wrong (though some might have been bricked by owners driven to violence), but i dread to think what Toyota would want for a new one, but there is a new Panasonic (i believe) Android based replacement now available for the Toyota systems, which if the OE system died there at least is now an alternative that wouldn't break the bank, but it doesn't appear as easy to use.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/02/2019 at 10:54

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - Heidfirst

I have an older style Toyota system you refer to Metropolis on my 120 series Landcruiser, it has touch screen, but the most important controls are a row of push buttons below and for the audio the most used controls are push buttons on the next level down, sub menus are on the touch screen as are some of the heating ventilation controls, however again those most likely to be used are a row of large touch screen points along the bottom edge of the screen, so once used to the layout, again they can easily be touched without taking your eyes off the road, i give it 9/10.

However as a satnav it's awful, ridiculously complicated and hampered by not having a full postcode facility, once you finally get it programmed a frustrating 20 minutes later it does work well but the mapping is nothing to write home about.

What model of head unit, which firmware & how upto date is the actual mapping? Certainly the TNS700/B9010 in my 2007 Avensis had full post code facility (a lot of people don't realise that on Toyotas you actually have to input the space - obviously on some other manufacturers you don't).

As for why car infotainment in general sucks car manufacturers work on roughly 7 year replacement cycles with a mid-life update, consumer electronics work on a much faster lifecycle. Car manufacturers start designing a new model several years in advance of production & because all the infotainment is linked these days into the car systems that control engine, braking etc. has to be designed & tested extensively to a level that consumer electronics don't - that costs money which ultimately will be passed on to the consumer. Infotainment is usually supplied by a 3rd party so there is also an extra tier of cost & profit compared to consumer electronics & production nos. are lower so less opportunity for volume of scale efficiencies. So, essentially they are always going to use older hardware & cost more than equivalent consumer electronics.

p.s. I have no idea why the blue line to the left appears when I use the quote facility on the forum.

Edited by Heidfirst on 15/02/2019 at 16:34

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - Pankh

Thank you

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->free netflix

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->tech news

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - FP

You what?

Why does car infotainment / tech suck? - RT

A car is a driving machine - not an audio-visual studio!