Ford Fiesta V - 12V Car Relays 20amp 5 Pins F57B-146192-AA - KenC

I have four of type F57B-146192-AA multi purpose 20amp 5 pin relays in my central car fusebox.. I am suspecting one maybe defective ( the fuel pump relay)

I have two questions please, if anyone can advise me

1. can anyone tell me a simple way to test a relay ?

( I have a basic voltmeter/contiunity tester)

2. Is there any independant component supplier that will supply an equivalent generic relay

at a sensible price ? thank you

Edited by KenC on 13/02/2019 at 13:02

Ford Fiesta V - 12V Car Relays 20amp 5 Pins F57B-146192-AA - Railroad.

Relays are simple devices and simple to test. A relay is a heavy switch. A common 5 pin relay will have the following numbers on the pins, 30, 85, 86, 87 & 87a. Terminals 30 & 87 are usually opposite each other (although not always). These are the contacts which are normally open. 30 to 87a is normally closed. This type of relay is known as a 'changeover' relay. When it's switched off 30 and 87a are joined together, when it's on 30 and 87 are joined together. Terminals 85 & 86 are either end of the energising coil. One will have a 12v supply and the other goes to earth. 86 is usually the live and 85 the earth, although they are sometimes the other way around.

To test the relay connect an ohmmeter to terminals 30 & 87. It should show open circuit. Connect terminal 86 to battery positive and 85 to battery negative. You should hear the relay click and the ohmmeter should show 0 ohms.

Ford Fiesta V - 12V Car Relays 20amp 5 Pins F57B-146192-AA - elekie&a/c doctor

Excellent advice above. I would add you need to load the contact circuit (30 and 87) .The relay may click ok,and the meter will read 0 ohms, but if the contacts are burnt or damaged ,the relay may be able to pass the required current. Use a headlight bulb and battery . I guess its a micro relay like this;www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-Micro-Make-Break-Relay-S...0