Shetland - Sarah kingsley

Anyone looking forward to the return of the BBC crime drama shetland tomorrow night at 9pm

youtu.be/25BymjZ3j6E

I enjoyed the recent series of Vera and am now super excited for the return of Shetland.

Shetland - badbusdriver

Despite the fact that i grew up in the Shetand Islands, i haven't kept up with the TV programme. I watched the 1st and 2nd series but that was it. I did notice the 3rd series on 'Drama' channel, so i recorded it but haven't got round to watching it.

It is nice to see places i remember, and it is a beautiful (if bleak) part of the country, but i was a little irate that there was only one proper Shetland accent on the 2 series i have seen. Having said that, it may be for the best, most folk, apart from Shetlanders (obviously) and Orcadians wouldn't have the faintest idea what was being said, you'd need subtitles!.

I love scotland in general, but i knew it was not all filmed in shetland as i have been to shetland and its just beatiful but i think scotland has some of the most breathtaking views and walks. My partner still prefers devon but not me let me walk anywere in the scottish countryside and im happy. But being a city girl Edinburgh is fave city much prefer to be there than London.

I have watched all 4 series and each one gets better so am looking forward to its return tomorrow night. Douglas henshall is one of my fave actors , i dont know if you would of heard of a show called primeval i loved it and i stopped watching once douglas's character got killed off.

Edited by Sarah kingsley on 11/02/2019 at 20:48

Shetland - Bromptonaut

Shetland and Orkney are on my to do list but unfortunately I'm addicted to the Western Isles and their siren call.......

Shetland - badbusdriver

Going to a very rural primary school in Shetland was a bit of a shock to the system. Including me and my brother, there was a grand total of 11 pupils!. But the teacher was brilliant, and one of the many things she said that stuck in my mind all these years later was regarding the difference between Shetland and Orkney. She said Shetlander's were fishermen who also farmed, whereas Orcadian's were farmers who also fished!. This is due to the differences in topography between the two groups of Islands (Shetland is very rugged with lots of hills and steep sided glacial valleys, but Orkney is much flatter and more 'farming friendly')

Shetland - concrete

I agree that Scotland in general is a remarkable country to visit. It has everything you could possible wish for in terms of countryside and seashore. I worked there extensively for over 20 years and fortunately did not require an interpreter because my father was from Paisley and never lost the accent. I spent many years there as a child and got attuned to the accent. I worked on Lewis, Orkney and Shetland in the 90's early 2000's and stayed up there because of the time and distance for travelling. Marvellous. The last job I did there was the extension and re-development of the lighthouse at Sullum Voe in about 2011, just prior to retiring. The lighthouse gallery cafe was featured in the Shetland detective series and filmed as a hotel setting. Looking forward to the new series myself. All the usual Scottish character actors make their appearance, luckily as badbusdriver points out, they use their own accents for the sake of clarity. As for Edinburgh, I much prefer Glasgow. It has a vibrancy about it that staid 'old reekie' doesn't have. Still, you pays your money..........

Cheers Concrete

Looking forward to the new series myself. All the usual Scottish character actors make their appearance, luckily as badbusdriver points out, they use their own accents for the sake of clarity. As for Edinburgh, I much prefer Glasgow. It has a vibrancy about it that staid 'old reekie' doesn't have. Still, you pays your money..........

Cheers Concrete

Did you see the first episode concrete , its gone darker but i was kept on the edge of my seat through tje whole episode and then i hated when it finished on that cliff hanger i was like no you cant end like that i cant wait for next week. I wish it was 2hrs like vera.

I like glasgow too , i love scotland though in general i have been to a lot of places now and theres not one place as of yet i haven't liked , scotland is a very beautiful place and thats why i go on holiday there every year iv had a lot of fun exploring scotland.

Shetland - concrete

I will save a few episodes and watch them back to back through the i player service. prefer that to weekly episodes. Shetland will no doubt become the Scottish Midsummer when the murders exceed the islands population!

Lots of fairly non tourist places to explore which are quieter and just as beautiful. Dumfries and Galloway has some gems with Loch Ken, St John's Town of Dalry, Kirkcudbright, Whithorn and Port Patrick. people tend to drive by on the M74 and head upwards, pity. Also around Argyll and Bute there is the Campbelltown peninsular, Lochgilphead, Inverary, Tayvallich and the Crinnan canal. Again most people drive straight on past Loch Lomond and head up to Tynedrum and the Highlands. All just part of the tapestry waiting to be seen. I will be up there just after Easter for my Scotland fix. Enjoy.

Shetland - badbusdriver

I will save a few episodes and watch them back to back through the i player service. prefer that to weekly episodes. Shetland will no doubt become the Scottish Midsummer when the murders exceed the islands population!

I'm sure i read or heard that there won't be much more, either this series or the next will be the last?.

I'm sure i read or heard that there won't be much more, either this series or the next will be the last?.

Oh no i hope thats not true i love shetland. I would love a vera , shetland crossover as both characters were created by the same author

Shetland - Bromptonaut

Peter May has done that for the Western Isles but I still keep reading his books for vicarious enjoyment of places I know well.

Lots of fairly non tourist places to explore which are quieter and just as beautiful. Dumfries and Galloway has some gems with Loch Ken, St John's Town of Dalry, Kirkcudbright, Whithorn and Port Patrick. people tend to drive by on the M74 and head upwards, pity. Also around Argyll and Bute there is the Campbelltown peninsular, Lochgilphead, Inverary, Tayvallich and the Crinnan canal. Again most people drive straight on past Loch Lomond and head up to Tynedrum and the Highlands. All just part of the tapestry waiting to be seen. I will be up there just after Easter for my Scotland fix. Enjoy.

Agree about the SW and Galloway. Kintyre is somewhere I still intend to explore. Love the sign halfway up Loch Lomond where it's still 120 miles to Campbeltown - I'd take the shortcut via Arran and the Lochranza ferry in at least one direction.

Shetland - concrete

Good thinking Bromptonaut. It is a drag going down the peninsula to Campbelltown, even if you are exploring around Inverary, Lochgilphead etc. You can cross over to Dunoon and shorten the drive and that too is a picturesque run through to Inverary.

Worth the journey for a night or two to stay and explore. The Mull of Kintyre is spectacular as is Machrahanish. My uncle Jim used to play golf at Machrahanish and regularly partnered Sean Connery when he visited the area for golf. Happy travels.

Cheers Concrete