not applicable - your website - sharkyw

I'm finding it really annoying that your website content is partially masked by an oversize advert for some insurance product. can you sort this?

not applicable - your website - Engineer Andy

Adblockers are your friend.

not applicable - your website - Leif
You mean you don’t want a loan with an APR of 25%? Shame on you ...

Yeah, this is one of the worst sites for ads that make reading difficult.
not applicable - your website - Bilboman

There's a small but nevertheless annoying popup on the page that I cannot seem to get rid of. Despite the best efforts of Ghostery (a brilliant little application that blocks most ads and seems to prevent unauthorised tracking) I am forever finding a little flame symbol in a square panel above another square containing an X. It's a link to "content ignite", some sort of advertising widget. Whenever the symbol is aligned with a forum posting I want to open, it is blocked until I click on the "X" and it momentarily disappears. Once I click anything on the page it reappears. I can't work out what the little icon is for, but it seems to prompt other popups to emerge and seems immune to Ghostery's attempts to block it.
Any ideas?

not applicable - your website - dan86

This is the only website I visit that has such obtrusive adverts that either block what you're trying to read or take up half the page I have no issues with any other website.

It. Can sometimes put me off visiting HJ

not applicable - your website - primus 1
I had this, I now log in at every visit and find it doesn’t seem to come up now
not applicable - your website - concrete

To reiterate a point made several times previously, no adverts means no website!

They pay for the website and therefore are a necessary evil. QED.

Cheers Concrete

I understand that but this is the only website where they are obtrusive to a point where u sometimes just leave the webpage

I use Firefox, coupled with the following add-ons to block ads and popups/unders:

• uBlock Origin;
  • Ghostery;
  • AdGuard AdBlocker.

Plus my normal Internet Security software and Firefox's own built-in stuff. Seems to work fine here and stops pop-unders on other websites in particular - something many add-ons (or combinations of such) previously didn't deal with. Proper pop-ups, like the site login etc, still come up, fortunately.

O use my phone for majority of browsing and computer related tasks as it quicker and easier but this is one of the worst websites for mobile browsing.

I keep coming back as it in general a friendly forum and a wealth of information.

O use my phone for majority of browsing and computer related tasks as it quicker and easier but this is one of the worst websites for mobile browsing.

I keep coming back as it in general a friendly forum and a wealth of information.

I must admit my above 'workaround' is for proper computers - laptops and desktops - only. Unless you have the top of the range tablet or phone with lots of power/memory, then even using the mobile versions of (say) Firefox and the add-ons is not great - they remove all the adds and pop-ups/unders, but at the cost of browsing speed.

On my tablet (Galaxy Tab3, so not new) pages do load without all the annoyances, but VERY slowly (though at least they do, unliek without the add-ons), including newspaper websites like The Telegraph, which is even slower as it has more video-type ads.

My phone isn't exactly low spec and I use chrome as it's a fast browser. But it still doesn't explain why it's only this website that I have trouble with obtrusive adverts. No other website displays adverts that take up the whole screen.

not applicable - your website - Palcouk
FWIW a mobile is not a replacement for static device when web browsing.
I have clients who insist on using a mobile for business invoicing, a complete nightmare, when I have to sort out their accounts.
There are dedicated apps, but in most cases people do not use them correctly, or allocate correctly.
I use FF with add blockers so no problem on HJ site, but I cannot say the same for Edge
not applicable - your website - Chesty

Same here.... the content keeps jumping around as the browser trys to cope with arranging the contents of the window.

Great site otherwise though.

:)

Use an adblocker and Ghostery if that's the case.