Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - sammy1

Interesting letter to HJ agony column today it would seem he has reports of this happening.

As spark plugs are pretty robust have members heard of this happening to other marks and why peculiar to the 2008? I have had a plug misfiring but never breaking up!

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - focussed

Yes I have experienced it on an MGB GT in the 70's which I did a lot of tuning work on to stage 3. The plugs were Champion N9Y's and used to split the insulators lengthways.

(That's the insulator inside the plug that shrouds the centre electrode, not the insulator you can see when the plug is in the engine)

Caused by distributor problems over advancing the ignition timing, detonation etc - rebuilt the distributor - different advance curve etc.

Edited by focussed on 11/01/2019 at 21:58

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - craig-pd130

Plugs breaking up is very rare but it can happen - as said above, the ceramic around the centre electrode can crack, or the ground electrode can fall off if the weld fails. Either problem can damage pistons, gouge bores, etc.

The problem is made worse by the increasing use of 10mm thread plugs in modern cars (very common with smaller-displacement, 4-valve-per-cylinder engines): the tightening torque for these is much lower than larger plugs, which means:

1) it's easier to strip the threads in the cylinder head if the person fitting the plug is ham-fisted

2) it's also easier to put excessive stress on the metal body of the spark plug, which in turn can cause the ceramic to crack

The tightening torque with a brand-new 10mm plug (like those in Vx Corsa petrol, or many modern motorbikes) is just 10 to 12nm, which is really not very much at all. Or if you don't have a torque wrench, 180 degrees extra after finger-tight when the plug is brand-new, and just 30 degrees extra after finger-tight when re-using.

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - John F

Good to hear it's a one off. The Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 still remains at the top of our choice list (Seat Arona a close second) to replace our (t)rusty 18yr old Focus - depending upon its MoT result in March!

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - madf

I met the owner of a new Mark 3 Jaguar E Type V12 which had a Champion spark plug fail in 1976. Holed the piston. Warranty job. New engine.

Edited by madf on 16/01/2019 at 11:09

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - John F

I met the owner of a new Mark 3 Jaguar E Type V12 which had a Champion spark plug fail in 1976. Holed the piston. Warranty job. New engine.

Might have been wrong plug(s)? Happened years ago to a friend who put slightly too long plugs in his Renault Gordini - punched a hole in one of the cylinders, but curiously (and thankfully) not all four.

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - andyp

I had a 208 EAT6 which started to tick over unevenly when it was hot particularly if left in drive. The problem started when it had covered about 18000 miles and as it would not do it all of the time and did not put the eml on there was not a lot of point in putting it into the dealer. I reported it when it went in for its second service and the spark plugs were changed but it made no difference. Around the same time as the idling problem started it would also intermittently stutter/misfire when it changed up from 5th to 6th at 70ish mph. There are several reports of this problem about on the internet and there is talk of problems with valve stick (it only seems to affect the 110 & 130 Puretech) and in some cases engines being replaced. A colleague had a 2008 1.2 130 with a manual gearbox and this developed the same issue. A Peugeot tech who posts on another internet forum said that there are problems developing with this engine and that Peugeot are trying to keep a lid on it .Whether or not this is true I do not know . Incidentally I part exchanged the 208 for a new 308 1.5 diesel EAT8 which I am very happy with - so far anyway :-)

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - snufflegrunt

We had this happen to a BOSCH Platinum in 1986 in a BMW. The BMW was only a few months old and the factory standard BOSCH plugs were swapped for these platinums (back in those days they could get away with exaggerated marketing claims)

A misfire ensued while on holiday and we went to the nearest dealer unannounced and they found the ceramic insulator and centre electrode missing and presumed pulverised and ejected through the exhaust. No consequential damage seemed to have been done to the engine and a complaint was put into BOSCH who claimed to have examined it and found evidence of high-speed pre-ignition (which was rubbish).

I have never used BOSCH since then, always NGK which have the best quality of threads in my opinion.

Is this PureTech issue LSPI related? I know this is a hot potato on many of these small efficient modern engines. I have even seen LSPI approved coolant as well as oil.

Puegeot 2008 - Disintegrating spark plug destroying engines - edlithgow
Sure it isn't "Disintegrating engines destroying spark plugs"?

That cause-and-effect stuff can be tricky.