MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - oldroverboy.

So, after 47 days and 1980 miles a problem?

Traction control and Steering control lights coming on.

At dealership today diagnostics "indicating CPS failure" part ordered, but rev counter failed intermittently this afternoon.

Oh deary me?

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - Oli rag
Hopefully it’s just a small blip and is rapidly put right. I doubt they would offer such a long warranty without fully testing the cars reliability.
MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - paul 1963

Oh dear!! can't see it being the cps if I'm honest......hope it's sorted soon

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - Manatee

Is it charging OK? Last time I had a Christmas tree dashboard the alternator had failed.

Funny lights for the CPS.

Is it charging OK? Last time I had a Christmas tree dashboard the alternator had failed.

Funny lights for the CPS.

That's what diagnostics said, and that after a software update.And rev counter failing intermittently later today as well.

Stopped driving car, will phone dealership to see if safe to drive to them tomorrow. If not will get it recovered.... to them...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 09/01/2019 at 20:25

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - KB.

Very much hope it's a bit of a"one off" and gets fixed with nothing too serious threafter.

Mind you, it'll give satisfaction to those naysayers who forecast doom and gloom.... just waiting for an "I told you so".

I don't think any of the other mainstream manufacturers have been exempt from hiccups ... some more glaringly obvious than others. Although, having said that, we all know that any of us can buy a rogue which seems to give trouble from start to finish .... and, again I say, any manufacturer can produce them. It's obviously more a case of how well they deal with it rather than the fact it happened in the first place. If it does transpire that they consistently fail to put their finger on it or drag their heels or don't treat you with the care and respect that's called for - only then will you start to dig your heels in.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - Ethan Edwards

Teething troubles ORB. I'm sure the ZS will turn out to be a good move in the long run. China is doing tech right these days.

As for me still happy with the Swift / Vitara.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - SteveLee

Why is it a funny code for CPS? Counting TopDeadCentres is a perfectly valid way of determining engine RPM and engine RPM could well be an input into the traction control system algorithms, ie - no point cutting fuel if the engine has stalled!

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - focussed

Rev counter not indicating or intermittent is a common symptom of CPS signal failure.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - paul 1963

Rev counter not indicating or intermittent is a common symptom of CPS signal failure.

Of course it is! please ignore my earlier post, it was the tc and steering fault lights that threw me.......
MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - craig-pd130

Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.

If it is a CPS fault, these happen on all types of car: a friend had a R129 500SL and the CPS failed on that within the warranty. Not an unknown problem on the Merc V8s, apparently.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.

If it is a CPS fault, these happen on all types of car: a friend had a R129 500SL and the CPS failed on that within the warranty. Not an unknown problem on the Merc V8s, apparently.

I did do a bit of research.. If it gets sorted and no further problems, I'll keep... if not, I wont lose a lot given the price i paid for the car, It is the "irritation" factor for me!

Kerridges, MG dealer (Needham Market) being super!

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - veloceman
It is loss of confidence that bothers me.
My new Alfa Giulias engine management light cane on 3 times in 3 months.
Eventually traced to a faulty water pump, well that’s what they told me. previous two occasions were down flat battery and loose wire! Not really believable.
I cut my losses as I didn’t fancy owning it out if warranty.
Original supplying dealer offered me such a low px value they clearly didn’t want it back. Did ok elsewhere.
Decent-ish car let down by hopeless dealer. Not really geared up to sell £30k+ cars.

Good luck in getting it sorted, other than that sounds like it is a decent motor.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - Engineer Andy

As another engineer once famously said: "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain..."

This hopefully is a one-off, but given how many modern cars seemingly have to go in for software updates to correct faults in the operation of their mechanical bits, I'm not at all surprised.

Too much new tech getting to the market place (just to beat rivals) before it's thoroughly tested with all the other components - happening more and more often, not just in the motor industry either. It's almost as if they are knowingly releasing unfinished products.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - SteveLee

Crank Position Sensors are Crank Position Sensors - every (particularly European) manufacturer will be using the same cheap-as possible supplier - you've just been unlucky.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - andrew197337
Hey, I bought a car the same as your by the looks of it, I also have exactly the same symptoms as you had on the car. Rev count needle dropped, no power and the traction control light and steering wheel lights come on. I have also had diagnostics done and also, the crankshaft position sensor case up. I am having to deal with, dare I say, Evans halshaw but am wondering how long the job took to repair please (just so the don’t stiff me on the labour costs) . Much appreciated

Edited by andrew197337 on 22/11/2019 at 11:45

Hey, I bought a car the same as your by the looks of it, I also have exactly the same symptoms as you had on the car. Rev count needle dropped, no power and the traction control light and steering wheel lights come on. I have also had diagnostics done and also, the crankshaft position sensor case up. I am having to deal with, dare I say, Evans halshaw but am wondering how long the job took to repair please (just so the don’t stiff me on the labour costs) . Much appreciated

Car should be done free under warranty. Have you had it main dealer serviced, If oldenough to require servicing. 12 months and 15000 miles. mine was done under warranty.

Now 10 months on and no further issues.

Crank position sensor fitted yesterday afternoon, and so far no recurring problems.

MG ZS 2017 1.5 manual - Crank position sensor failure? - badbusdriver

Hopefully just a small isolated blip on the reliability record!.