2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - Alec Webb
Had my 2009 2.0 diesel outlander for 5 years. It’s never put a foot wrong or broken down. It’s done 98,000 miles. I’m torn as to whether to keep it for another 4 years or change it now before things start to go wrong on it . We do about 10,000 miles per year, mostly on country lanes.
Anyone had experience of what sort of mileages this model and engine will do?

Edited by Alec Webb on 18/11/2018 at 21:42

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - SLO76
Much depends on whether it has the later common-rail version of VAG’s 2.0 diesel or the earlier variant with the rather troublesome Siemens injectors. The improved engine appeared in 2009 and if yours has been no bother is suspect it is the later version.

It doesn’t have a great deal of value left in it and assuming it’s the common-rail motor and you’ve looked after it then there’s no reason it can’t do another 100k. Timing belts are due every 5yrs so I’d be looking to change it along with the water pump and tensioner if you do decide to keep it which should cost around £300-£350.

Before spending money on it I’d check for any major corrosion on both subframes and the front crossmember which is usually the biggest killer on these. Rot can take hold underneath despite the body otherwise looking sound.

If it’s a good one and you’re happy with it then keep it. To replace it with another diesel SUV that’ll be any better regarding reliability would cost the guts of £10k minimum.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/11/2018 at 21:56

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - gordonbennet

I agree, if its running well and in good condition underbody i'd treat it to a real birthday of a mega service, as well as the cambelt and usual engine servicing i'd change all the transmission oils.

Don't forget to service the brakes well on these, they need to be pads out cleaned exercised and lubed well because the calipers can seize up with corrosion though hardly break the bank if you have to change the odd one.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - focussed

Some friends of ours have an early Outlander with the 2.0 litre VW D-ID EA188 engine- this is the old 8 valve Pump-Duse unit, not common rail injection.

He has it serviced at a reliable UK indy workshop.

It's done 125 k miles and apart from servicing and the usual replacements, tyres brakes etc has been totally reliable. The rear suspension gets a bit slack and tends to pogo-stick on these at high miles, a pair of shocks will sort this out.

Edited by focussed on 18/11/2018 at 23:53

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - Alec Webb
Thanks.
Will treat it to a good service and timing belt etc after Xmas! See how many miles I can get out of her!
Thanks for the advice. My gut feeling is to keep it. My head has been turned by a couple of the newer SUVs, but with a 3 year old, a new born a big dog, my outlander is a real family workhorse that has already suffered the usual abuse! That’s why ideally I want to keep it, as I would only get upset at seeing a new vehicle get abused by the kids and pets!
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - S40 Man

New born? Keep it at least until the puke factor risk diminishes to a sensible level. You don't want that in a newer higher value car.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 diesel - Keep or change my Outlander!? - gordonbennet

wrong thread

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/11/2018 at 20:36