Personal leasing - Senexdriver
I’m sure this subject is an old chestnut in the forum and I’ve seen the odd thread about it, but I have only recently realised that it could be for me and begun to think seriously about it. I wanted therefore, if I may, to use the forum as a sounding board.

I’ve until now been against the idea as you don’t get to own your car and - without considering it in any detail - it has always seemed to be an expensive option. However, after talking to a mate who leases I am coming round to the idea. Looking back at my pattern of ownership, I have been buying new cars outright since 2006, keeping them for no longer than 4 years and then moving them on. In all that time I have not had a single mechanical breakdown and beside annual servicing costs and MOTs, I have only paid out for 3 tyres. My annual mileage has never exceeded 9,000. As to owning the car, if I only keep it for 3 or 4 years, why is ownership so important?

As to the expense, you can appreciate that having changed my car 3 times since 2006 I have taken a fair hit on depreciation. In each case, I have accepted that as the price of having the excitement of a new car and a good chance of continuing to avoid costly repair bills and the risk of breaking down. But what I have come to realise lately is that the depreciation I have experienced compares favourably with personal lease payments, so in my circumstances is personal leasing such an expensive option? To give a couple of examples, my last car was an Audi A3 and depreciation cost me £7,000 when I traded the car in after 26 months and 17,000 miles. Ignoring the effect of any upfront payment and admin charges, that works out at £269 a month in rough terms and I wouldn’t be surprised if that compares favourably to the cost of personal leasing, bearing in mind I traded the car in 2 years ago. Looking at my current car, an Audi A4 Avant, the current trade-in value is likely to be about £14,000 less than the price I paid new (yes, I know!) after 26 months and 16000 miles. That works out at £538 a month on the same rough basis as before and from my investigations, it does compare favourably with personal lease repayments. So on my rough calculations, the financial case looks to be made.

That leaves the disadvantages to consider. Leaving aside the ownership and expense issues, if indeed they are issues for me, I can think of only two. Firstly, if I committed to a 36 months term, for example, and had to give up driving before expiry, for whatever reason, it could be costly to get out of the arrangement. Secondly, whether I want to or not, I have to give the car back at the expiry of the term, but what if I then don’t know which make and model I’d like next? I could be stuck without a car (although my wife has one) until I find something I like at a lease price that suits.

I’m prepared to accept that I may be overthinking this and the issues are more straightforward than I realise, but I would be grateful for views and opinions - particularly from those who lease currently. Thanks in advance.
I should add that as I have been mulling this over for a few weeks now, I do understand how personal leasing works and the various ways in which the lease contract can be structured.
Personal leasing - Skoda_man

PCP is a lot more expensive than Personal Contract Hi re- or leasing. Not sure why. I always start with www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deals/personal/. One catch - Gap insurance is needed with a lease, because insurance won't replace a leased vehicle with new if there is an early write off, for some crazy reason! Cost - from £100 (one payment) depending on the value.

We have leased a Skoda Rapid since Dec 15, but it is now about to be changed to a SUV style that we don't want, so we have ordered an Octavia replacement. Recently, it was possible to get a 1.0L TSi in the standard paint colour for £130/month - probably an 8K, 2 year deal.

After decades refusing to buy new because of the initial depreciation, I have changed my tune for a few reasons.

New car - everything (the latest technology) works - and under manufacturer's warranty the whole time (That needs the initial purchase of the 4th year in the case of our Octavia which is a 4-yr deal). We like DSG, but want it covered, so we would never hold on beyond the lease period - though we have unexpectedly been offered a good price to keep the car.

You can opt for monthly maintenance to cover all consumables or anything not covered under warranty such as brakes. You can pay monthly to replace the tyres - but our Rapid is still on 4 to 5mm after 30K, and we had to pay for a irreparable tyre, so that was a waste of about £150.

One snag is that any options have to be fully paid for during the deal - so if you have significant option cost, it makes sense to take out a deal for as long as you can (with warranty in parallel).

That means that the monthly cost is essentially fixed - no more £1200 bills to get through the MOT or sensors that suddenly need replacing for £350.

Despite HJ's answer today, www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/114123/can-i-put...d-

We had a private plate from new, but it will have to revert to the official plate for a short time before the Octavia comes with the personalised plate transferred.

Bit worried about the condition check, but blemishes are only slight, so crossing fingers. Valeting is essential of course.

Personal leasing - gordonbennet

Firstly i never have leased and probably never will, nor PCP'd or any other method of long term car rental.

My son however did look into this when they wanted another car, and what he found was that now and again some leasing deals are literally a steal, he could at the time lease some hot Seat Leon FR flying machine for about the same cost as a fairly base model, really very cheap, and he signed up with Lings Cars for the deal...however an unusual set of circs which i won't go into meant he had another car instead for the period.

He fully expected Ling to not play ball or to charge him a small fortune for the cancellation, and he would have paid up without issue as it was nothing to do with Ling who beahved impeccably, but in practice she was able to re-lease the as yet undelivered car to another happy customer and only charged my son a quite reasonable admin fee.

So, what i would say is that maybe if you are fairly flexible as to what car you want (this applies to however you buy cars) there could be a bargain to be had doing this.

However luckily the lease he would have taken was only 2 years if i recall correctly, otherwise he would be stung for charges now as he emigrated last week, but a loss of job or any number of other things could cause serious issues.

Thanks, gordon . In my research I have certainly found some highly attractive offers too. Each site has all the usual deals but also a special offer or deal of the week. One tempting example was a Mercedes C Class estate, a car I wouldn’t mind trying and similar to my current car. The usual price elsewhere for a 3 year term at 10,000 miles a year was £500+ but this was on offer at under £300. I’m not looking to change my car just yet, but if I had been I might well have followed that one up.
Personal leasing - KB.

May I be permitted to say the OP asks a very reasonable and relevant question and it makes a change from "what small hatchback should I buy for my wife".

And he has had a sensible first reply too.

The first question that always springs to my mind when I see that there are good lease or PCP deals to be had is ... but how does someone like me get to know about these deals and how do I know that they are,genuinely, such a good deal?

There are adverts and special offers literally everywhere. At least if I buy a brand new car with my own money I can see exactly what I'm paying and if I chose to use finance I can see what the rate is ... and I can hazard a guess as to what it might, possibly, be worth in x number of years time.

With PCP there are variables such as balloon rates and interest rates and monthly contributions and upfront charges plus mileage limits and damage rectification costs at the end - and, despite bods coming on here, and elsewhere, I just can't get my head around them. Maybe lease rates are easier to understand?

I know that Ling has been around for ages and must have thousands of customers, past and present - plus you can go to your main dealer for a PCP quote or to any number of other places advertising to do a PCP or lease deal.

But, to quote your phrase "if you're fairly flexible about what you want" ... presumably that means trawling through, not only loads of different main dealer showrooms or websites but all those other places offering contracts and trying to compare like with like. I don't mind doing the research - but I honestly don't know what to look for and how to recognize one of these "good deals". I, too, would drive a BMW or a Merc if I thought it was gonna cost me less for three years than a Suzuki or a Skoda. (although I'm not sure that I'm a BMW or an Audi man, if you know what I mean).

To be honest I only have interest in buying (or, should I say, owning) new coz I like to know what's happened to the car from the off and it pleases me to have from new - but ultimately it's in my own financial interest to pay as little as possible after, say, three years for the pleasure of driving it AND if I thought that, after that period of time, that it was gonna cost me less to PCP it rather than buy it and sell on then my ears prick up.

Have I made hard work of that or does anyone understand me.. Maybe the OP and I are thinking along the same lines?

Edited by KB. on 12/11/2018 at 16:58

Personal leasing - SLO76
I went through a similar thought process a few years ago when swmbo demanded a new or nearly new SUV to keep new baby and her image safe. A few calculations factoring in likely discounts and depreciation and leasing seemed marginally cheaper on the sort of £20k plus metal we were looking at.

There’s always the worry that it has to be in effectively retail condition when you return it or you’ll be billed for any repairs but I found Lex quite relaxed about the few scuffs and scratches ours had when it was returned in September. But to be fair you’d pay via extra depreciation if you owned it and were trading in anyway.

The cost of the lease all in was actually almost identical to the cost of depreciation over the 4yrs I had it so it’s 50/50 but I prefer to buy used and own it outright and I hate a monthly payment. Instead I went for an older Japanese estate bought outright rather than take another lease or borrow. But leasing is often the cheapest way to go though this depends on predicting future depreciation which is never easy to do. Leasing is probably the safer route but don’t forget to shop around and ask your main dealer to see if they’ll match any online quote, a nearby Honda dealer did for us.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/11/2018 at 16:46

Personal leasing - KB.

Another sensible reply, but it just goes to prove (to me, at least) that there isn't a single, obvious answer.

Personally I cosset my cars and they are invariably immaculate at all times in their life, so the end oif contract repair question might not be significant, but that's only a drop in the ocean when trying to foresee what's gonna be best for us in 3 or 4 years time.

I hope I get some ejumacation here in the forthcoming responses.

Personal leasing - John F

There are three ways to make your motoring really expensive. One is to have a new car, one is to regularly change your car, and the third is to rent a car. The OP seems to be wanting to do all three. I can think of no more expensive way to be on the road. It astonishes me that upwards of £3000 per annum is acceptable just to have use of one nearly new fairly mundane car (it's only new on the first day!).

My records go back to just before marriage. In 39 years I have bought eight cars - grand total £55100. That's less than £700 per annum. We still have three of them, and since 1981 have always had two cars (since 1993 three cars) on the road. That's less than £350 per car per annum (I don't count the third low mileage sports car which stopped depreciating long ago). Now clearly I am at the other end of the car buying spectrum in that I bought good used cars and made them last for many years. So, OP, please continue with what you are doing to ensure a good choice of car for people like me!

Edited by John F on 12/11/2018 at 17:19

Personal leasing - KB.

^^ Less helpful.

I too can quote how little I paid for this or that secondhand car that cost me next to nothing.

I find the suggestion that the OP continues to carry on doing what he's doing just so that JohnF can buy his used car at a discount from him ... and smirk at his choice whilst doing so somewhat disagreeable.

Interesting and (mostly) useful comments so far. I’d thought of the point about minor damage when returning the car and concluded that firstly there is a ‘fair wear and tear’ criterion, secondly I do look after my cars and thirdly you’d get hammered on the trade-in value anyway if you were buying rather than leasing. I’m retired so I have the time to lavish attention on my vehicles and I take pride in a well turned out car. I’m also fussy about where I park it, so barring bad luck, dents and scrapes are unlikely to be an issue.

So far, I’ve looked at lots of online offers to get an idea of what is possible. I would talk to my local dealership first and take it from there, but I’m wary of companies I’ve never heard of. At all events it’s only an idea at the moment.

I’m not really interested in motoring on a shoe string as, being retired, I have time to enjoy driving and ownership and I now enjoy owning the sort of cars I could never afford when I was younger. I’ve done bangernomics and I’m now looking for an easy solution and if that costs, well so be it. I know people who spend thousands on pursuits that I would not entertain, so each to his own and all that. If you run cars on next to no money, good luck to you - oh and make sure you use those tea bags more than once.
Personal leasing - KB.

^^ My thoughts exactly. You and I share some similarities.

I was going to say to JohnF that the point of the question was about leasing or PCP versus buying outright ... not about seeing how cheaply he can buy a secondhand car from this or that source - and that the OP had probably already gathered that, surprise, surprise, secondhand cars are cheaper than new ones.

So, unless you've got something relevant to add, JohnF, might I suggest that your contribution in this topic are of little value.

(unless you want to advise the OP about not bothering to do oil changes on his new car)

Personal leasing - Brit_in_Germany

I would also suggest that 55K going back 39 years will not be too dissimilar to an annual cost today of 3000 pounds, after inflation is taken into account.

I’ve seen JohnF’s posts elsewhere and I’ve read the history of his car ownership on another thread. I don’t want to be rude to the guy so I made no more than a gentle dig. Perhaps I shouldn’t even have done that. Another aspect of being retired is that you can let so many things wash over you that previously would have riled you. You keep saving money, JohnF if that’s your thing! I’m enjoying spending mine.
You keep saving money, JohnF if that’s your thing! I’m enjoying spending mine.......

......and so am I; probably more so as by saving on unnecessary car expenses I have more to spend! (and no-one yet seems to have noticed I got my maths wrong - as a penance to my carelessness I am repeating rapidly five times the incantation to the god of foolishness......' O Wotan, azzyam' .) If I'd really wanted cheap motoring we'd have been running around in old Corollas for the past 40yrs. And as for comments 'of little value' - this is the discussion forum, not the technical advice forum. It's for any comments, argument, disagreement, concurrence, banter.....even amusement - hopefully. Lighten up!

Edited by John F on 12/11/2018 at 19:00

The one thing you omit from your list of matters we might see on the forum, John F, is relevance. That’s all people are trying to tell you. I’m not interested in minimal cost motoring, I’m trying to understand personal leasing and anything you may have to offer on that subject will be welcome. Anything else: no thanks. In the nicest possible way, of course.
Personal leasing - Avant
Good to have this come up again, as things move on, and whereas leasing used not to be a sensible option for private individuals, it is increasingly so now.

I’m in a similar position to you, Senexdriver, and at 70 I’m also a senex. I too like new cars and am lucky enough to be able to have them. I use PCPs but my mind is open to alternatives.

I did have a look at leasing for my Audi Q2 earlier this year. Rentals are indeed getting more competitive, but beware that the low headline rentals are usually for the basic models. Mine is a 2.0 petrol, to get which engine you need to specify the S-line Quattro. The lease cost for that model was always more than the PCP monthly amount.

Agreed - John F is doing something quite different and not comparable with what we’re talking about , but it’s an equally valid and logical way to go about it. In fairness I don’t think he’s advocating bangernomics. He buys cars he likes at a few years old, and then maintains them himself, and enjoys doing so. One of the reasons I like new cars is that I don’t have his skills.
Personal leasing - SLO76
“Rentals are indeed getting more competitive, but beware that the low headline rentals are usually for the basic models.”

It’s not always the base models but the the models which the leasing firms believe will depreciate the slowest. When shopping for our CRV the 1.6 DTEC SE-T was no dearer than the SE but actually cheaper than the basic S, with the petrol models not even listed by most firms. The Civic was very nearly the same price and when you see what they retail at after 3-4yrs compared to a similar spec CRV with the same engine you can understand why. Before the anti-diesel hysteria started a petrol Q2 would’ve been viewed unfavourably compared to the diesels by fleet managers.
I’m glad my post has resurrected a subject of interest to others. I’m thinking about it now because my current car is 3 years old next September and I shall decide whether to replace it and how to finance any replacement in the intervening period. My dilemma with my current car is that it has the s-tronic transmission and after next September I shall of course be out of warranty. The alternatives are therefore either to buy an extended warranty from Audi or to trade it in. I really enjoy driving the car and it serves perfectly the purposes for which I bought it. If I were not so nervous about the reliability of the transmission I would happily keep the car for at least a further year, but initial investigations suggest that an extended warranty is likely to be prohibitively expensive. I would not want to do a PCP because I might just as well buy outright, so that leaves personal leasing.

On the subject of hot deals, the C Class estate I mentioned above was an AMG line turbo petrol, a well-specced model and certainly not the entry level edition. On a lease deal, particularly under £300 per month, I’d love to try it for a spell. Another model I’m considering is a Skoda Kodiaq and whilst personal lease deals on that are £500 per month plus, I did find one at £390 or so. It seems you just have to do a lot of trawling through the websites.

If I am not mistaken, I seem to have identified all the issues with personal leasing that I need to take into account, although I do have one further question: if you have an existing car to trade, what happens if you take a personal lease on the new vehicle? Can the existing car be part-ex’d and, if so, how does that work? A car of minimal value would cover the upfront payment, but what if the trade in value is more like the current value of my car?
Personal leasing - Andrew-T
My dilemma with my current car is that it has the s-tronic transmission and after next September I shall of course be out of warranty. The alternatives are therefore either to buy an extended warranty from Audi or to trade it in. I really enjoy driving the car and it serves perfectly the purposes for which I bought it.

I have no problem with the idea of repeatedly buying new, tho it is something I have never done myself and probably won't now - but I have to depend on others who do. However I can't adjust to the idea that, having bought new, the car which I have cherished for 3 years will start to decompose as soon as the warranty ends, and I will have to repeat the cycle. I suppose signing up to a lease deal encourages that thinking, but I would prefer to keep control.

Personal leasing - KB.

I don't think the concern is that will start to decompose straight away .... but in senexs' case he's aware of how expensive certain components are to fix if they go wrong - and I think he's thinking, specifically, of the DSG transmission. In the months (and POSSIBLY) year or two immediately after the warranty ends then it's possible that "Goodwill" would be extended to offset the cost - but thereafter he (and I) could be looking at thousands.

Personal leasing - RT
My dilemma with my current car is that it has the s-tronic transmission and after next September I shall of course be out of warranty. The alternatives are therefore either to buy an extended warranty from Audi or to trade it in. I really enjoy driving the car and it serves perfectly the purposes for which I bought it.

I have no problem with the idea of repeatedly buying new, tho it is something I have never done myself and probably won't now - but I have to depend on others who do. However I can't adjust to the idea that, having bought new, the car which I have cherished for 3 years will start to decompose as soon as the warranty ends, and I will have to repeat the cycle. I suppose signing up to a lease deal encourages that thinking, but I would prefer to keep control.

I've bought both new and used over the years - the advantage of used is obviously lower price while the advantage new is being able to get the exact specification from the options.

I always intend to keep cars 10 years as the increasing risk/cost of major issues is matched by the reduction an annual depreciation. Some brands allow the warranty to be extended, at a cost, or after-market warranties can be purchased.

However, no DCT/DSG/S-tronic transmission ever gets on my short list for fear of really expensive faults, but that's my only exception.

Personal leasing - expat

"initial investigations suggest that an extended warranty is likely to be prohibitively expensive."

No doubt there is a reason for it being so expensive and that reason is that there are likely to be very expensive faults coming up. If that is so then you are doing the right thing in replacing the car.

Personal leasing - KB.

I just checked and for cars up to five years old the car Care Plan after market warranty (as I mentioned elsewhere) is £176 if bought online using your CSMA / Boundless memebership (which is about £25 a year) ... that is for cars up to 1200cc. Over 1200cc is goes up to 203 if bought online via CSMA / Boundless.

When the car goes over five years old the cost goes up and the number of items covered goes down. See here :-

www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/car-care-plan-warran...y

I’ve read about the diminishing list of items covered with after market warranties, so I looked at an Audi extended warranty. They won’t quote for me until my car approaches the end of the existing warranty, but others have been quoted over £1000 - £1068 if I remember correctly! If I could get the same cover for circa £200, all well and good, provided the S-tronic transmission is fully covered as that is my main concern. I’ll take my chances with the rest of the mechanicals.

I really appreciate the feedback with this thread. Do please keep it coming!
Personal leasing - KB.

I rang them earlier to check whether the warranty is still as is was a couple of years ago, when I took cover out with them, which It is. Up to five years old but over 1200cc is £203 if you apply online via Boundless/ CSMA - versus £226 if you go straight to Car Care Plan. On that basis you might just as well join Boundless and get their free Legal Cover (plus any other benefits that membership offers).

I spoke to a fella called Chris Schofield at CCP on 0344 573 8021 and/or check the link I gave earlier. Most of their call handlers are, apparently, ex mechanics, which is useful in this day and age of unqualified call handlers who read from scripts.

Personal leasing - FiestaOwner

As well as the points you have raised yourself, I would take the following into account when considering leasing or PCP:

What happens if you need a different car part way through the agreement? IE conventional car to SUV (for ease of access for you or one of the passengers). Or you need to change to a bigger or smaller car, due to unforeseen circumstances.

What happens if your annual mileage changes (up or down)?

The vehicles at my work are leased (on a full maintenance agreement, this includes tyres). We can only get tyres replaced when Kwik Fit (this is who most leasing companies use) agrees they are at 2mm. If we have one front tyre at 2mm and the other at 2.5mm, they will only replace the one at 2mm. This is a hassle, I wouldn't go for an agreement which includes tyres. I prefer to buy my own tyres and choose what make and type (and get them replaced when I want to). Also prefer to choose what tyre depot I go to.

I wouldn't have a vehicle on lease or PCP beyond its manufacturers warranty period. I'd want to be able to hand it back before I became liable for repairs.

I'm not against leasing or PCP, I may do it myself in future. I've just felt on the type of basic motors I normally buy (Fiesta, Clio etc) it works out better to buy new or pre reg and keep for around 6 years. I tend to buy when I see what seems like a good deal (ie just before a face-lifted model is launched). This is just what suits me.

Would be interested to hear what you end up doing.

Personal leasing - KB.

^^ Re. the above. Food for thought. The sort of snippets I,and maybe senex was hoping for.

I can readily see that a car with a three yr warranty and a three year PCP or lease would match each other and you might estimate a three year deal is the obvious one to consider. But where might manufacturers like Toyota, Hyundai and Kia fit in to the picture? Would you perhaps conssider a five, or even seven year PCP or lease? ...... I would doubt it myself but having had both my current cars from new and owned them for 7 years then, obviously enough, I can envisage long term ownership on an "outright purchase" basis and haven't had sufficient problem with either of them to make me wish I'd done otherwise.

But, things change and what was right fore the past seven yrs might not be so for the next.

EDIT. Like senex, I too have DSG to consider ... something I would think long and hard about if buying outright next time.

In fact - - I wouldn't.

FURTHER EDIT. I spotted senex's reference to the possibity of an extra year's extended warranty and the question of whether it would be prohibitively expensive.

It might be worth looking at the warranty offered by, what used to be called, CSMA but is now renamed Boundless.

I used them for years four and five on my Yeti DSG and the cost was reasonable. Cover provided by Car Care Plan who provide cover for many major manufacturers in the form of approved extended waranties. Over five years the cost goes up and the items covered comes down hence I decided to take my chances with the DSG.

Maybe worth a look. You have to join Boundless for about £25 a year but in doing so you get free (or included) Legal Expenses insurance cover which costs about the same if added to your motor policy.

Edited by KB. on 12/11/2018 at 23:24

Thank you, Fiestaowner. Good point about the tyres. I have been weighing up whether I would go for the full maintenance option and that info helps. I’m not a fan of Kwikfit anyway!
Thank you, Fiestaowner. Good point about the tyres. I have been weighing up whether I would go for the full maintenance option and that info helps. I’m not a fan of Kwikfit anyway!

Getting servicing included is fine.

The tyres are a total hassle though. "It's not quite at 2mm yet, come back in a week". You come back again then they agree to replace one tyre, but they need to order a tyre. Come back again to get it fitted. Then in a couple of weeks its the same palaver for the tyre on the other side. Plus Kwik Fit are always busy, so you are there for ages each visit.

Personal leasing - Cris_on_the_gas

Yes it will be cheaper if you keep trading or wanting a new car every 3 years, you just need to do some maths !

So if you buy a car worth £30k keep it for 3 years and after 3 years it's worth 15K. So that car has cost you £15k or £5k per annum to own.

Now Finance company buy same car. They can negotiate better price that you so buy the same car for say 25% discount at £22500. Before purchase they have got value of car underwritten at 3 years old and xx agreed mileage at £15k.

So finance company need to finance £7.5k over 3 years, plus interest charges. If you borrow £7.5k over 3 years with interest rate at 10%, monthly repayment of £240. I just went to a compare loan site to get the figures. Total interest cost over 3 years is £1146. So depreciation cost over 3 years is £8646 or £2882 per year. Much better than £5k a year !

Clearly the above figures could change and are up to the skill of the negotiators but remember these people are professionals, called bankers. Sorry spelt it wrong ! and they buy thousands of cars each year.

So with leasing you are only paying interest on the depreciation of the car, even at 10% this still looks favourable. I wish I could get 10% return on my investment, guaranteed. I'm not sure what the current interest rates are I guess you would know before you signed the deal

Personal leasing - RT

If the leasing company can get 25% discount, a savvy retail buyer can get 15-20% - so you really do need to check figures and deals out throroughly.

If the leasing company can get 25% discount, a savvy retail buyer can get 15-20% - so you really do need to check figures and deals out throroughly.

Yeah ,reckon the devils in the detail. But if buying thousands of cars as opposed to one the deal is gonna be a lot better. I would think 20-25% better would be about right ! Interested in other's views, particular an insider in the leasing market who is stumping up the cash.

Aren't us British very bad at negotiating as well.

Slightly off topic don't big rental companies buy cars then sell them after 9 months at the same price they paid ?.

Same principle

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 13/11/2018 at 15:11

Personal leasing - concrete

As some have said, it is possible to seek out a good deal to lease a vehicle. I did for my Volvo XC60. I compared the whole cost with buying outright, hire purchase, pcp or lease. The lease cost the same as the projected depreciation over 3 years. A no brainer really. The other factor was I needed diesel for towing and not doing vast mileages I didn't want any DPF problems or any other for that matter. So after three years just hand it back, no worse off. just do the sums and see if it works for you. All about choices. I am exactly the same as Avant in terms of age and wanting a decent vehicle, so if we can find deals everyone can.

My only problem is that diesel is being rubbished so much that vehicles for towing will not be available in such choice as previously. maybe petrol will do the job, don't really know.

Maybe time for a thread from some of brainier engineers on the forum to pick the bones out of the differenced of towing with diesel and petrol or even hybrid or electric.

Cheers Concrete

Personal leasing - KB.

^^^ Thanks for that.

Speaking very generally, if one wasn't fussy or specific about exactly what make and model was being sought (say for example you wanted a petrol small SUV type car with increased ride height - about the same size as the Yeti or CX3 or current Vitara) then should we, perhaps, be looking at slightly more upmarket, such as Volvo, BMW, Merc because of the perceived higher residuals after 3 yrs .... or maybe should we focus on more run of the mill stuff on the basis that it doesn't make much difference?

What I'm trying to ask is ... are the posher makes gonna hold their value better and is that likely to mean better lease or PCP rates?

Personal leasing - Avant

"....should we, perhaps, be looking at slightly more upmarket, such as Volvo, BMW, Merc because of the perceived higher residuals after 3 yrs .... or maybe should we focus on more run of the mill stuff on the basis that it doesn't make much difference?"

I suspect people will come up with varying experiences here - but purely speaking for myself that's why we have two Audis on the drive. List prices of Audis are as we all know higher than some others (although not higher than Volvo, and Kia / Hyundai are no longer a cheap option): but because they hold their value better then most, there are good PCP and leasing deals. For a cash buyer, Audis are probably not such a good bet.

I wonder if, for PCP and leasing, perhaps the best deals are on either the up-market brands or the most basic models of, say, Ford, Vauxhall or Skoda / SEAT. I haven't researched this but it would be logical. Of course, if you're happy with basic, but want to buy new, a Dacia is probably better value than anything.

Personal leasing - KB.

I've forgotten whether you leased or went PCP, Avant ?

Also, you might have said if you went to the Audi dealer or to an indepenent outlet to arrange the deal - but I've forgotten that too :-(

Personal leasing - focussed

My only problem is that diesel is being rubbished so much that vehicles for towing will not be available in such choice as previously. maybe petrol will do the job, don't really know.

Maybe time for a thread from some of brainier engineers on the forum to pick the bones out of the differenced of towing with diesel and petrol or even hybrid or electric.

Cheers Concrete

My experience of towing with petrols is that non-turbo motors are slugs when towing unless they are 3 litres+ and you will be better off with a 2 litre turbo diesel for the torque.

Sorry, but I don’t get the point you are making with your maths. Whatever deals a finance company can do, it doesn’t alter the price I pay does it? If the list price is 30K, there’s no way I’d get the same car for 22.5K. Based on past experience, I’d expect to pay maybe 27K for outright purchase.

I’m no financier, perhaps you are. You would certainly tie me up in knots if I were negotiating a car purchase with you!
Personal leasing - RT
Sorry, but I don’t get the point you are making with your maths. Whatever deals a finance company can do, it doesn’t alter the price I pay does it? If the list price is 30K, there’s no way I’d get the same car for 22.5K. Based on past experience, I’d expect to pay maybe 27K for outright purchase. I’m no financier, perhaps you are. You would certainly tie me up in knots if I were negotiating a car purchase with you!

No real negotiation involved - I got my £55,000 VW Touareg for £45,000, about 20% discount - £5,000 by using an online discount broker and another £5,000 by using a VW PCP - the PCP was paid off straight away so only nominal interest charged.

I understand your maths, RT! I did exactly the same with my wife’s A3 cabriolet: local dealer’s list price £33,700, sorry no discount on this model, sir, online dealer price £30,500, local dealer’s revised price with Audi and dealer contribution for PCP £28,900. Paid off PCP day after handover.

What I don’t understand is Cris on the gas’s maths. I don’t get how the discount the dealer can negotiate affects the price I pay - not to the extent that his figures suggest, at least.
What I don’t understand is Cris on the gas’s maths. I don’t get how the discount the dealer can negotiate affects the price I pay - not to the extent that his figures suggest, at least.

It was just an example not based on a real deal.

The greater the discount the less money that has to be found and ultimately financed. Hence the price difference.

Good luck finding your new car

Personal leasing - Avant

I'm on PCPs, KB: have been on them since 2001, when I changed jobs and got a bigger salary but no company car. I've several times considered going with a broker, but each time the dealer has matched the broker's price or come close.

Also some brokers don't like part-exchange: they may refuse to doi it or offer a much lower trade-in.

I think PCPs work best either if you are reasonably confident that you'll be getting another new car at or near the end of the contract period, or you simply intend to take advantage of the incentives from the dealer or broker, and then pay it off soon after setting it up. What I wouldn't want to do is pay a large lump sum (the balloon payment) in order to keep a car which may soon need repairs or replacements.

Personal leasing - KB.

Ta for that ... all good common sense.

Personal leasing - joegrundy

"What I wouldn't want to do is pay a large lump sum (the balloon payment) in order to keep a car which may soon need repairs or replacements."

This is an interesting point and one which my son (and I, as principal finance officer of the Bank of Dad) are now considering.

My son bought a Sandero 1.2 Ambience in June 2015 on PCP. It cost about £7,500 with met paint and a 3 year service plan. Deposit was £750, there was a Dacia 'contribution' of £500 and a 'free' 5 year warranty. Payments are about £100 a month.

The car has been excellent, and I rate it highly as long as you accept it for what it is. It has had a set of tyres, and pads and discs.

The PCP ends in June 2019, with a balloon payment/GFV of £2,400. The dealer is already in touch suggesting new deals etc. The issue is (and this is common, I believe) the car will not make its GFV because of its mileage. The PCP allows 6,000 p.a., this will have done about 40,000. The excess charge means that the car's value will be less than the outstanding finance. I'm sure that the dealer could find a way round this by juggling finance figures on a new PCP but it's not a good outcome.

My view is that the best approach will be to pay off the £2,400 to clear the PCP finance and keep the car. This would mean that effectively he will be buying for £2,400 a four year old car he's owned from new, with a full dealer service history and one year's remaining manufacturer warranty. I think he'd be hard pressed to beat that.

A couple of points arising from the posts above:

PCPs: I agree that making a balloon payment to buy a car that could soon need expensive repairs is a disincentive to keeping the car. I’d never do that, but, as I explained above, the dealer contributions frequently on offer make paying off the finance straightaway (and hence in reality buying outright) very attractive. I saved a chunk of money on my wife’s car that way. On the other hand, from my recent research it seems that PCP monthly payments are often lower than personal lease payments, so financing on PCP and handing the car back rather than making the balloon payment appears at first sight a cheaper way of leasing. However, I haven’t thought that one through fully yet.

The common sense argument of not buying what you can't pay cash for: in business, one golden rule is that you buy appreciating assets and lease depreciating assets. If that principle holds true, and I do see the logic of it, we would all be leasing our cars.

Once again, thanks for the continuing discussion.
Personal leasing - KB.

Senex, did you spot the details of the extended waranty that I popped in above? It's tucked away in the middle of the topic (at 13.12 yesterday) and I wondered if you missed it .... it looks as though it might have suited your purpose.

Edited by KB. on 14/11/2018 at 10:59

I did, thanks KB. And I think the extended warranty to 5 years may well be the answer. I am really enjoying my current car and don’t feel I want to trade it in after 3 years if the warranty will indeed remove the worry of expensive repairs to the DSG. Given how much I like the car, owning it for 5 years will suit me fine. By then it will be likely to have covered about 45,000 miles and I wouldn’t want to push my luck much beyond that.

Interestingly, I have this afternoon received some personal leasing quotes from carwow for the exact same make and model as my current car. The cheapest is £455 per month for a 36 month term with 3 months payment upfront and 10,000 miles per annum. That compares favourably with the current monthly amount of depreciation I mentioned in my initial post. I therefore feel I have everything I need now with the cost of an extended warranty if I want to keep the car and the cost of personal leasing had I decided to go down that route. I am grateful to all contributors for the additional information to complete the picture. This forum works!
Personal leasing - KB.

Excellent.

... in business, one golden rule is that you buy appreciating assets and lease depreciating assets. If that principle holds true, and I do see the logic of it, we would all be leasing our cars.

This thread seems to have reached the conclusion that the cost of PCP or leasing isn't that different from buying with depreciation, so by leasing new every 3 or 4 years one is just settling for normal depreciation cost of a new car, but spread over regular monthly payments. So that scenario is not attractive to me (or John-F), but fine if money is available to cover it.

My present car (and one other that I can recall) was an 8-month-old ex-rental which I have now owned for ten years. Much of its early depreciation had already happened as it cost £5K (about 35%) below list; so assuming that it now has little resale value, it has cost me about £70 a month plus tax, insurance and regular servicing, pads and tyres - plus a small top-up payment when it was repaired after a minor accident. An extended warranty would have been a waste of money as nothing has failed (yet).

Personal leasing - RT

HP, loans, leasing and PCPs suit those who know in advance when they want to replace their car - the overall cost is little different to buying outright and trading-in on the same timescale but avoids the necessity of a big sum up front.

They don't suit those like John-F, Andrew-T, my son or myself who will keep cars much longer - but my understanding is that the thread isn't about the relative merits of the two philosophies.

I'm numerate enough to be able to work each of the options through and compare, as I suspect are other contributors in this thread - but the majority of the population can't/won't understand the figures involved and get sucked in by the salesman starting with "how much can you afford" and then selling up to that level.

Personal leasing - SLO76
I’d keep it. £2,400 for a 40,000 miles 2015 car that you know has been looked after, it’s a no brainer.
Personal leasing - gordonbennet
My view is that the best approach will be to pay off the £2,400 to clear the PCP finance and keep the car. This would mean that effectively he will be buying for £2,400 a four year old car he's owned from new, with a full dealer service history and one year's remaining manufacturer warranty. I think he'd be hard pressed to beat that.

Agreed, an absolute steal at that price, keep it well serviced and there's years of cheap motoring to come.

My view is that the best approach will be to pay off the £2,400 to clear the PCP finance and keep the car. This would mean that effectively he will be buying for £2,400 a four year old car...

Agreed, an absolute steal at that price, keep it well serviced and there's years of cheap motoring to come.

It does seem to make sense now that so much has already been committed, but don't kid yourself it's been cheap. If I've gleaned the above info correctly it has cost £750 + £500 + 48 x£100 + £2400 which all tots up to £8450. Is that everything? If so, for 40,000 miles that's 21p per mile just for owning one of the cheapest but certainly not cheerfullest cars available. As has been mentioned, it's certainly not for the likes of me. It would certainly make sense to look after it carefully from now on, to whittle away at that pence per mile figure as time goes by and the hopefully trouble free miles build up. Just for comparison, our 18 year old Focus, bought at around 4yrs old for £7000, has given us over 100,000 almost trouble-free miles; <7p per mile. Good luck - and apologies for any irrelevance.

Personal leasing - Wee Willie Winkie

If I've gleaned the above info correctly it has cost £750 + £500 + 48 x£100 + £2400 which all tots up to £8450. Is that everything? If so, for 40,000 miles that's 21p per mile

If he leaves it on the drive and just looks at it - yes. Surely that cost will go down the more miles he does; ie 10.5p per mile once 80,000 miles is reached.

<< for 40,000 miles that's 21p per mile just for owning one of the cheapest but certainly not cheerfullest cars available. .... It would certainly make sense to look after it carefully from now on, to whittle away at that pence per mile figure as time goes by and the hopefully trouble free miles build up. >>

It's a mistake to focus on a pence-per-mile figure, which has nothing to do with the cost of buying and owning a car. It depends totally on how many miles one does, and may even delude one into thinking that it is a good idea to do more miles, just to get the number down. :-)

It's a mistake to focus on a pence-per-mile figure, which has nothing to do with the cost of buying and owning a car.

Unless intended for investment or a museum, a car is obtained in order to make journeys. So I contend that a wide angle focus on all the factors contributing to the total cost-per-mile figure is of more value than narrowly focusing upon, say, fuel cost-per-mile, or pounds per month rental. Such a comprehensive focus has everything to do with the cost of using a car; of whatever type, and however frequently changed.

Personal leasing - PhilDS

Personal view and based on personal experience on having had two PCH vehicles and about to get my third (all from Ling)

PCHs can work well where you want/need a new car, don't want to commit a large deposit to get one and want the flexibility of swapping manufacturers at the end of the lease - a personal view on how I see some PCP deals might make this more difficult.

If you are cost conscious and/or need something quickly and potentially are less bothered by specific makes and models, trim levels and colour choices, etc there always seems to be some good deals available but their time limited nature means it can be luck rather than desire that lands you something that you might consider more desirable. It may also be the case that you have to trawl through various websites to find them

The first car I leased was a 2014 Ford Fiesta for my wife which was chosen mainly for its relative low cost. Total cost of the lease over the 24 months was £3,900 which equated to 32% of the the cost of the new vehicle, which felt (in my mind) to be reasonably cost effective.

The end-to-end process was quite simple and straightforward and delivery completed within a few weeks. Handing the car back was very easy and all we had to pay was a slight mileage excess of around £70 for going 1200 miles over the agreement

No dealership involved. Everything done online. The only people I actually spoke to or met where the chaps dropping it off at the start and picking it up at the end.

My second car (Mk 7 Golf GTi) was a specific choice, although I did look at other makes and models that offered similar performance and spec.

A 24 month, 60,000 mile contract will cost me £12,500 in total on what was a c.£32,000 car (including extras).

A quick look online shows equivalent vehicles on the secondhand market are now £18k. On that basis, I believe I picked up a bargain, because on the face of it, funding the seeming real depreciation of the car should have been a lot higher.

I pick up my replacement vehicle (Mk7.5 Golf R) in Jan. Total lease costs over 24 months including extras - DSG, Paint, Pro Nav, Dynaudio - is £13,500, which for me is acceptable

Hope that helps!

Personal leasing - Penumbra

BiL did a deal this weekend. Built-to-order VW Passat. £8000 deposit of which the VW dealer paid half. Guaranteed min final value of £8500. BiL will be paying £250 a month.

Deal inc a "proper" spare wheel.

BiL did a deal this weekend. Built-to-order VW Passat. £8000 deposit of which the VW dealer paid half. Guaranteed min final value of £8500. BiL will be paying £250 a month.

It would be a help to anyone trying to work out if this is a good deal if you could tell us:

1) The mileage allowed per annum?

2) How many years the agreement runs for?

3) The model of Passat and which engine it has?

Without these details it's impossible for anyone to work out if it's a good deal or not. It's a bigger car than I would be interested in so these details are of no consequence to me, but they would help someone interested in a larger car and isn't sure whether to lease (or PCP) or buy. At the moment all we know is it's £7000 for the 1st year and £3000 for each of the following years.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 19/11/2018 at 17:17

Personal leasing - Penumbra

It's the 1.5 petrol engine. Deal is for 3 years but I forgot to ask the mileage, but I'll try to find out. I thought it sounded a good deal when he mentioned it, but admittedly I didn't go through the financials.

Personal leasing - leaseman

It's the 1.5 petrol engine. Deal is for 3 years but I forgot to ask the mileage, but I'll try to find out. I thought it sounded a good deal when he mentioned it, but admittedly I didn't go through the financials.

Penumbra, were you asked by the salesman how many miles per annum did you envisage covering in the 3 years of possession??

My bet is that the Contract you describe will be over a very low mileage, and if that fits your circumstances then absolutely fine. If not, then it's a classic example of mis-selling.

The Motoring Trade Press have been very active recently in projecting that this all-too-common malpractice, when selling PCP products, will be the next major mis-selling scandal after PPI !

Personal leasing - leaseman

Penumbra, were you asked by the salesman how many miles per annum did you envisage covering in the 3 years of possession??

My bet is that the Contract you describe will be over a very low mileage, and if that fits your circumstances then absolutely fine. If not, then it's a classic example of mis-selling.

The Motoring Trade Press have been very active recently in projecting that this all-too-common malpractice, when selling PCP products, will be the next major mis-selling scandal after PPI !

Hi Penumbra.

Perhaps you could please update us with your research on the true details of the contract that you have signed. Many thanks in anticipation......We can probably assist in extraditing you from the commitment, should the contract not meet your requirements!

Personal leasing - Avant

"My bet is that the Contract you describe will be over a very low mileage, and if that fits your circumstances then absolutely fine. If not, then it's a classic example of mis-selling."

I've been in lots of PCPs where I've gone over the agreed mileage - but provided that I'm PX-ing for a new one, it hasn't mattered. The trade-in value is lower of course but that's true of any PX. I've always discussed this with the salesmen in advance when agreeing a notional mileage.

The dreaded pence-per-extra-mile penalty kicks in if you hand back the car at the end of the contract period. I've never done that, and I'd suggest that a PCP is a good way to go only if at the outset you're confident that you'll be PX-ing in due course.

The other option - paying the balloon payment as a lump sum and owning the car outright - may suit some, but in many cases this means paying a large amout of cash for a car that's about to go out of warranty. If you intend to keep a car long-term and need finance, I'd have thought that a bank loan or straight HP would be the way to go.

Edited by Avant on 22/11/2018 at 00:20

Personal leasing - Big John

Since I was made redundant in the early 90's being left financially embarrassed with HP on a car I took the decision to try and always have the funds to buy any car. Since then I always try and save a bit and research my car purchases to reduce the potential capital outlay waiting for the right moment – eg last car was a nearly new end of model Skoda Superb with a huge saving. As I do a high mileage I also keep cars for a long time, ignore depreciation and effectively throw away at the end.

However things may change when I retire in a few years, I’m starting to think the way forward is PCH – ie effectively just hiring a car. Some stonking deals around e.g. Skoda Octavia 1.0 SE Technology 24 months 8000 miles/year First payment £1345 then 23 x £112 - This includes car tax as well. Need to check It’s OK driving abroad and what happens if the leaseholder suddenly can’t drive anymore (eg ill health or worse!) , but the other half can. At least it's not possible to be made redundant when retired!

.....when I retire in a few years, I’m starting to think the way forward is PCH – ie effectively just hiring a car. Some stonking deals around e.g. Skoda Octavia 1.0 SE Technology 24 months 8000 miles/year First payment £1345 then 23 x £112 .....

I would reconsider your current philosophy of keeping for a long time, which makes even more sense for an average (8000 miles p.a.) than a high miler like yourself. Your figures work out to the best part of £2000 a year just to rent a basic car with limited mileage (25p a mile). When retired, you will have time to do the basic servicing of oil changes, brake pads, and keeping it rust free round the edges and underneath. Just for comparison our Focus, a similar sized 'family' car (why are smallish cars called 'family' cars - families need big cars!), cost us £7000, and has averaged 7,500m per annum during the nearly fifteen years we have owned it. (just over 6p per mile). If you did similar today, paying around £14,000 for a good nearly new Octavia, that would still be only half the price per mile you are contemplating paying over the long run - and having no car at the end of the run; and by the end of a fifteen year run the rental price per mile would doubtless have escalated considerably!

Edited by John F on 02/12/2018 at 10:57