Any - Cyclists - oldroverboy.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cycling-de...l

Any - Cyclists - veloceman
Interesting to me a I have just returned from a few days cycling through Belgium and the Netherlands.
Easy for me as I can cycle the15m to Hull from my home to catch the overnight ferry to Zeebrugge. I certainly don’t do Lycra, but helmet and bright jacket are a must.
However what I did notice is that these countries are totally geared up for cyclists.
It was only on the remote countryside where I used normal roads. Elsewhere cyclelanes were the norm. In towns and cities cycles lanes have traffic lights just like roads and on many routes cars and lorries have to give way to the cycle tracks.
The whole time I was there did not see any kind of antagonist behaviour by either motorists or cyclists.
Cycling is more of a way of life than there.

Like most things to do with travel Europe has it so right and as usual we are ages behind.
Any - Cyclists - nellyjak

Yes...motorists v. cyclists is always dangerous ground for public forums.

As a driver and a cyclist I try to take a balanced view about it all...there are bad and careless drivers..and bad and careless cyclists..and whilst the two have to use the same piece of road it is a recipe for conflict and potential danger.

Despite the massive rise in cycling over the last few years we aren't..as veloceman says, geared up to deal with it here in the UK in the same way as say somewhere like the Netherlands.

I don't like being on the road with traffic so I choose cycle tracks wherever they are provided..the more separation I can get,...the safer I feel.

Any - Cyclists - bathtub tom
I don't like being on the road with traffic so I choose cycle tracks wherever they are provided..the more separation I can get,...the safer I feel.

I feel exactly the same, however, round here many cycle lanes are shared with pedestrians and they seem to either have a feeling of entitlement or are oblivious to the fact they may meet a cyclist. A bell only helps sometimes.

I refuse to cycle on a footpath.

Any - Cyclists - veloceman
Yes same here. We have shared footpath/cycle paths which do not work.
Frequently come across dog walkers, couples holding hands and families with buggies who straddle the whole lot. I don’t mind that so much as we can all share, it’s just abuse you get after the tinkle warning of a bicycle bell.
Any - Cyclists - James2018

There does seem to be a general attitude against cyclists in the UK (and apparent in the USA as well) with some car drivers thinking that they have right of way on the roads regardless of other users.

I recall a couple of years ago a young woman forced a cyclist of the road in to a ditch and didn’t even go back to check if they were ok, but found time to boast about it on social media!

You just need to search on Google for lists of cyclists run off the road.

I don’t enjoy being stuck behind cyclists but go by the motto, if it is softer than me, give it time and a wide berth.

Attitudes need to change – we all share the roads and some daily newspapers don’t help with articles like “who was in the wrong” when a cyclist usually becomes a cropper and comments that are not moderated that descend in to frothing bile.

Yes, cyclists do make mistakes, but who doesn’t – I find myself in the wrong lane at times when visiting places that I haven’t been to before.

Then there’s the rubbish about cyclists not paying road tax. With that argument lorries should be allowed to rule the roads as they pay the most per vehicle and anyway, a cycle causes very little damage to a road surface and riders may well pay excise duty on the other vehicles that they own.

Any - Cyclists - galileo

Since the Tour de France began in Yorkshire a year or two ago, reinforced by Tours of Yorkshire, there are noticeably more cyclists on local roads.

Most of these have the full kit, helmet, Lycra and, at night, flashing mega-candlepower LED headlights. What is also common is to come across a whole group of them not riding in single file on winding, narrow roads, which sooner or later will lead to conflict if not disaster.

If they must chat to their mate, why not save their breath for pedalling and talk when they stop, not insist on being alongside him/her on a busy road?

Any - Cyclists - Gibbo_Wirral

What is also common is to come across a whole group of them not riding in single file on winding, narrow roads, which sooner or later will lead to conflict if not disaster.

If they must chat to their mate, why not save their breath for pedalling and talk when they stop, not insist on being alongside him/her on a busy road?

Before someone posts "cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast", rule 66 states:

You should

• never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 05/11/2018 at 12:30

Any - Cyclists - Bolt

If they are not too far apart they can talk in single file, I used to talk while riding years ago without a problem except when buses and lorries pass due to engine noise

My only gripe with cyclists is the minority who wear dark clothes and no lights, apart from that I take no notice and give plenty of overtaking space.

I`m getting more annoyed now about rubbish in the road, they are being used as dumping grounds now and certain lanes can become impassable but that's a different story!

Any - Cyclists - Snakey

We see a lot of student cyclists in my home town of Durham, riding around in the dark with no lights or any kind of safety of visibility gear. Its a bit frustrating as if there's ever an incident then the motorist will be in the wrong by default - same seems to apply for drunk pedestrians as well.

Any - Cyclists - Manatee

What is also common is to come across a whole group of them not riding in single file on winding, narrow roads, which sooner or later will lead to conflict if not disaster.

That comment alone suggest a lack of understanding.

Do you want them in single file so you can close-pass them in the face on oncoming traffic? Even if you don't, plenty will.

Overtake on the other side of the road as you would a car.

I'm afraid you might be part of the problem.

Edited by Manatee on 05/11/2018 at 13:02

Any - Cyclists - RT

Do you want them in single file so you can close-pass them in the face on oncoming traffic? Even if you don't, plenty will.

On a "winding, narrow road" just where is the "other side"?

Any - Cyclists - Manatee

On a "winding, narrow road" just where is the "other side"?

Fair enough, I suppose it depends what you take a "narrow, winding road" to mean. But if it is in effect single track, cars shouldn't be passing at all until the cyclist(s) can move properly aside.

Cyclists will often ride abreast or "ride out" deliberately to prevent overtaking where it is inappropriate e.g. on a narrow, winding section; they will typically move left or single out on a safe, straight piece of road. Leave barely enough room to squeeze by and plenty will, barely slowing.

Yes, there are uppity cyclists but that does not justify generalised abuse or aggressive driving.

Too many drivers want to treat a cyclist as if they require no more road space than that normally between a vehicle and a kerb. I still see drivers overtaking cyclists, at speed, with their offside wheels barely over the centre-line even when the opposite side of the carriageway is completely empty.

Driving is something that cannot be done well without patience.

Edited by Manatee on 05/11/2018 at 18:02

Any - Cyclists - Theophilus

I think you may be missing the point that Gibbo's post was a direct quote from the Highway Code ... also has helpful (!) rules on wearing light-coloured or fluorescent clothing / lights / not cycling on pavement, etc.. (spoken as a 65+ year cyclist on public roads)

Any - Cyclists - Andrew-T

<< Overtake on the other side of the road as you would a car. I'm afraid you might be part of the problem. >>

When I was a regular cyclist (never in a group) I used to keep well left. If a driver gave me what seemed to be a ludicrously wide berth, I used to wonder whether he/she thought I could not be trusted to keep a straight couse. I felt slightly insulted.

I would feel quite happy with a 4-foot berth, provided the vehicle doesn't cut in too quickly.

Any - Cyclists - Manatee

<< Overtake on the other side of the road as you would a car. I'm afraid you might be part of the problem. >>

When I was a regular cyclist (never in a group) I used to keep well left. If a driver gave me what seemed to be a ludicrously wide berth, I used to wonder whether he/she thought I could not be trusted to keep a straight couse. I felt slightly insulted.

I would feel quite happy with a 4-foot berth, provided the vehicle doesn't cut in too quickly.

Why would you feel insulted if the driver didn't know who you were?

It would have made more sense to think "How thoughtful of him/her to realise I might be inexperienced or that I might have potholes etc to cope with".

And passing slowly at four feet is OK; at speed it feels very aggressive.

Perhaps it depends on which end of the binoculars you are looking down.

Why would you feel insulted if the driver didn't know who you were? I'm sure most road insults are exchanged between people unknown to each other.

Perhaps it depends on which end of the binoculars you are looking down. I'm sure it does, as suggested by other posts here.

Any - Cyclists - badbusdriver

IMO, keeping well left while cycling is not a sensible thing to do, it just encourages drivers to try and pass within that lane, regardless of how close they end up to you.

Just the other day i was driving on a single carriageway country road, when i came upon a lone cyclist. I slowed right down till the oncoming lane was clear before passing on the other side of the road. The luton van behind me also passed the cyclist, while there was oncoming traffic, on his side of the road!. I have no idea how the cyclist didn't get knocked off his bike, but i found myself hoping he had a helmet cam and passed on the footage to the Police.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/11/2018 at 18:18

Since the Tour de France began in Yorkshire a year or two ago, reinforced by Tours of Yorkshire, there are noticeably more cyclists on local roads.

I happened to drive through the Harrogate area about the time of that Tour, and it seemed that every main road the peloton would be using had just been resurfaced for the event. On that basis it may not be surprising that more local cyclists may be using the roads.

I no longer cycle, but if VED is considered proportional to road-damage caused, it might be argued that cyclists are entitled to a subsidy, as potholed roads probably cause more damaged bikes than vice versa?

Any - Cyclists - Engineer Andy

I quite agree. Bad behaviour on both sides. Courtesy and respect for and by all road users should be paramount, similarly from and towards pedestrians. I suspect people being engrossed in their mobile phone/music/sat nav doesn't help either.

Any - Cyclists - focussed

I've spent a lot of time around that area on motorcycles so I know what you are saying.

But the cyclists in Belgium and the Netherlands and in France where I live now, obey the traffic laws don't they?

They actually wait at red traffic lights until they turn green - amazing!

And they give way to pedestrians on crossings - imagine that!

And they don't ride 2 inches from your door mirror and pick arguments with drivers - that I have seen anyway.

And - Sometimes they actually signal to let other road users know in which direction they intend to take!

So yes, is it a bit different over here in Europe!

Any - Cyclists - TheGentlemanThug

I agree that there are bad eggs on both sides, but in my experience, bad cyclists are more common.

Case in point, I parked on a residential road in Newark just last week. As I set off, a cyclist approached a junction and simply carried on as if it weren't there. After he forced me to slam the brakes on and sound the horn, he approached my window saying that he would have "raped my insurance" if there had been a collission. As soon as I pointed to my dashcam and advised him that audio is also being recorded, he quickly left without another word.

On Saturday, I was driving through south Lincoln when I saw a kid on a bike pull a wheelie whilst riding on the wrong side of the road. He hadn't spotted the police officers who quickly pulled him over for a chat.

The problem is that anyone can hop on a bike and ride on the road; no training, no test, no insurance required. It's about time these were enforced. Whilst we're at it, it's about time drivers were forced to re-take their test at regular intervals so their competence can be proven.

Any - Cyclists - oldroverboy.

Whilst we're at it, it's about time drivers were forced to re-take their test at regular intervals so their competence can be proven.

In the beginning.. When in the dawn of History I started selling at British Leyland truck and bus.. I was gien the opportunity to take a Heavy Goods vehicle licence so that I could demonstrate the vehicles....

At 40 years of age, but no longer haing to do it I had medicals very 5 years, and no objection to that.

What I would say is a mandatoty medical examination with urine and blood tests with a full eyesight test, never know, might help a bit.

And ANY cyclist or pedestrian wearing headphones to be also considered at fault in case of accident.... (2 in front of me in 5 minutes this weekend.0

Edited by oldroverboy. on 05/11/2018 at 16:52

Any - Cyclists - TheGentlemanThug

Aaannnddd on my drive home today I've had to swerve to avoid a kid on a bike who unexpectedly went from the pavement to the road. No lights, dark clothing and he was carrying someone on the handlebars.

Edited by Bicycle_Repair_Man on 05/11/2018 at 18:02

Any - Cyclists - Bolt

Aaannnddd on my drive home today I've had to swerve to avoid a kid on a bike who unexpectedly went from the pavement to the road. No lights, dark clothing and he was carrying someone on the handlebars.

Happens all the time in my neck of the woods, including motorbikes with no lights riding on the path and passenger. some have no sense of danger

Any - Cyclists - RickyBoy

I (recreationally but quickly) cycle a lot (mainly late morning/early afternoon – midweek).

I drive a bit (locally midweek/further afield at the weekend)

I've said it (on here) before – when I'm a driver (or a pedestrian in Cambridge, London, or Oxford) I generally get frustrated by cyclists & their on-road behaviour, when I'm a cyclist ...

Any cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet in this day and age is insane. A bell is quite useful too – even on a £7K road-bike!

I despise the two/three-up merchants who quite simply refuse to 'single-out' on B/C-roads. Chat at the caff-stop if you must chat at all?

I've had motorists ('lads' mainly) abuse me, squirt water, give me the full-horn for no reason other than they can. I apear to be the only one to understand the rule – if the obstruction is on your side of the road then you give way? So many motorists disregard cyclists in that situation as they reckon they can squeeze through. The same applies when a vehicle just has to pass you when there is oncoming traffic approaching rather than wait until it's clear.

I see so many motorists looking down at phones, particularly in the country lanes!

I wouldn't consider commuting in a town or city these days. Far, far too dangerous, but I understand if that's what you've got to do on a daily basis then you have to risk it.

Conclusion – there are inconsiderate a*******s in all walks of life, be they on foot, on two-wheels or in four. It will always be that way. You just gotta hope you don't have the misfortune to meet them when moving around for work or play ...

Any - Cyclists - RickyBoy

... oh, and just to even things up a little – I have ridden through a red light on the odd occasion – mainly short-length roadworks when there's clearly nobody waiting at the other end! :–(

Any - Cyclists - skidpan

Where we live now I am 100% certain that a cyclist will be killed. Its on a hill and they come down the footpath (its not a cycleway or combined - its only for pedestrians) at very high speed and on more than one occasion I have been very lucky not to hit one as I have pulled out of the drive. Problem is not helped by the neighbours 6ft high brick wall at the front of the property, its impossible to see what is on the footpath until you have nosed out which is OK for pedestrians since they have a habit of hearing you moving and stop, cyclists have no such survival mechanism. The wall would not be allowed today since its higher than planning permits on a front boundary, the max is 1 metre. But as far as I can tell its been there since the 1950's, it on an aerial photo I have that was probably taken in 1980 approx. There is a AC Invacar parked in front of the property.

Police are not interested, what a surprise.

Last year there was one very lucky chap. As I was pulling out he had to swerve off the footpath onto the road and at the time he was fortunate that there was no traffic. I kept him in sight for a couple of miles as he moved from footpath to road depending on what he considered the fastest path and even went through red lights at unabated speed.

Total muppet, probably dead by now.

Any - Cyclists - Leif
I hate cyclists at rush hour on B roads, but I always give them plenty of room, and respect their right to cycle. Most seem safe, except over the last two weeks I’ve seen one cyclist go through a red light and nearly get hit, a cyclist who pulled in front of me at a junction, and today a cyclist who pulled in front of me just as I started moving forwards, which was risky. Why suddenly so much risk taking?

A month back I filmed a cyclist being knocked off while overtaking stationary traffic. A car turned right into a drive way without looking, and as far as I could see the cyclist was in the right.

All of these incidents are in a small area near where I work, at the end of my 25 mile commute.

As to the article, from what I see many cyclists take undue risks, so we can’t assume drivers are always at fault.
Any - Cyclists - Avant

"Conclusion – there are inconsiderate a*******s in all walks of life, be they on foot, on two-wheels or in four. It will always be that way. You just gotta hope you don't have the misfortune to meet them when moving around for work or play ..."

Absolutely right, Rickyboy, and as long as everyone recognises that, the thread will stay civilised as it has so far. But I'm watching it....

Edited by Avant on 08/11/2018 at 23:43

Any - Cyclists - Leif

"Conclusion – there are inconsiderate a*******s in all walks of life, be they on foot, on two-wheels or in four. It will always be that way. You just gotta hope you don't have the misfortune to meet them when moving around for work or play ..."

Defensive driving/cycling is key, although on a bike it's harder to do for obvious reasons.

Defensive driving/cycling is key, although on a bike it's harder to do for obvious reasons.

Not necessarily - as a cyclist myself, I often dispair at how other cyclists suddenly swerve at the last minute to avoid a parked car, drain, etc or to turn right, rather than far earlier and more gradually (but not to the nth degree) moving and especially signalling when needed.

Sometimes the chatting or pseudo-professional (they wear the garb, but don't have the taletn) larger groups of weekend wannabe yellow jerseys and social cyclists don't pay attention and cause long delays by staying a a large peleton or varying the width of the road used randomly, but, to me, and by a large margin, THE WORST cyclists (other than teenage boys who are mainly just bored and deliberately mucking about) are the couriers in urban areas, who I (and I'm sure many of us have seen) regularly:

• Ride at breakneck speed;
  • Disregard traffic signals, one-way streets and pedestrian-only pavements;
  • Weave in between vehicles stopped in traffic/at junctions and lead to many near misses with both other road users and pedestrians trying to cross the road;
  • Rarely think it's their fault.

I remember one time at college walking down Tottenham Court Road in London, and witness an accident when one of these couriers smashed at high speed into a pedestrian crossing the road when he was going the wrong way (for those who don't know that street, its a very busy one-way street with 2-3 lanes, though not always marked, with several pedestrian crossings [busy shopping/business area] and junctions/traffic lights for roads joining and diverging). By some miracle, both parties weren't seriously hurt, but the courier found the time to shout obscenities at the pedestrian and others trying to help and quickly roade off.

On the other hand, many drivers seem to deliberately target or at the very least don't care about the welfare cyclists, even when they are behaving responsibly, cutting them off, beeping their horn at them for slowing them down, even goading them to start a fight if they feel they've been slighted in any way (e.g. by slowing them down). The same can go with pedestrians being unattentive (engrossed in conversation/with their smartphone/jogging listening to loud music, etc) and walking out in front of bikes or cars/HGVs.

It seems that far more of society is on edge and one incident (even minor ones) away from the rest mist turning them into some kind of raging monster.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

You have made my point for me.

Yes the so called expert cyclists, in the yellow lycra, are often the worst as they are aggressive.

I don't think society has got worse. Cyclists and car drivers are worse in places like London due to heavy traffic and the ridiculous numbers of road signs and markings. Round my way they are usually okay. Dorks are rare, and the recent bad cycling I've seen here is unusual.

I don't think society has got worse. Cyclists and car drivers are worse in places like London due to heavy traffic and the ridiculous numbers of road signs and markings. Round my way they are usually okay. Dorks are rare, and the recent bad cycling I've seen here is unusual.

Maybe it's because there are more road users on the road, especially in urban areas. There are LOTS more cyclists, especially commuters, a good number of students and inner city couriers using them and riding round at breakneck speeds, often disregarding the rules of the road, but then there's so many more 'angry drivers' out there, often people in a hurry (of both types of transport) trying to get to work, a job, meeting, a delivery. More road users = more to keep an eye on as well.

Too crowded. Its often just as busy out here in the sticks, just not for so long. I used to like driving, even the commute to work, but that was some years ago. Nowadays it's just making it in one piece without having to spend 15 mins on arrival calming down after some near miss or joker taking The Mike. I often deliberately avoid the busiest times of the day to travel even if that inconveniences me in other ways.

Far less stressful and safer, and mny car uses less fuel. As a cyclist I now avoid most major roads (never did in my younger years) and prefer a bit more piece and quiet of country lanes, though that is now getting more dangerous as many motorists use them as rat runs thanks to satnavs.

Any - Cyclists - Westernman
I am a recreational cyclist. Quite a lot of yellow clothing - because I want to be seen and I know from my own experience that dark clothed cyclists are hard to spot. I have never jumped a red light and will not cycle on footpaths. I slow down to walking pace when passing pedestrians on cycle paths. On country lanes when vehicles approach I will stop as soon as I can and let them pass me easily. Just look for a Farm gateway or wider space.
In the course of a days riding, say 30-40 miles of mainly lanes with some B roads I will meet a lot of very nice motorists who wave, slow down and seem to be perfectly happy. Without exception someone will shout abuse, honk, drive too close or too fast or make obscene hand gestures. Not because I have done anything to deserve it but because that is who they are.
Then. I put the bike back on the car or motorhome and re-join the motoring public. And try to be kind to cyclists.
Conclusions: there are too many cars, not enough cycle lanes, too many people who are intolerant and not enough kindness. I will just continue to cycle as kindly as I can, avoid causing a problem where I can and continue to assume that every car, van and lorry I meet is trying to kill me and take precautions accordingly. I think it’s called defensive cycling.
Any - Cyclists - Leif
I think that sums it up. Most people are nice, but it only takes one numpty to ruin your day, or your life, and our roads do not cater for cyclists.
Any - Cyclists - Bolt

our roads do not cater for cyclists

Its been said many a time, but as more are going to be using the roads and whatever cycle lanes are put in (more are expected in Central London) I think we are going to have to live with it and keep calm as the roads are not going to get any easier imo.

It's been said many a time, but as more are going to be using the roads and whatever cycle lanes are put in (more are expected in Central London) I think we are going to have to live with it and keep calm as the roads are not going to get any easier imo.

Most of our roads are not going to get noticeably wider any time soon, while most vehicles except bikes already are - so things get steadily worse, without allowing for any growing volume of traffic. Part of the reason why I stopped cycling many years ago.

Any - Cyclists - Westernman

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 08/11/2018 at 23:43

Any - Cyclists - Leif
Yes I have in part chosen my job based on the commute. I left my last job as I had to leave home at 6:15 am to make it to work in 55 minutes, rather than 2 hours at normal times. But your area must be bad compared to mine. For years I lived 7 miles or less from work, bliss.
Any - Cyclists - madf

I used to cycle but I want to live so no longer do.

I try to drive assuming other occupants of the road are absolute idiots and want to kill me or themselves. I find with some cyclists on narrow twisty country roads with zero forward visibility think they are immortal doing 20mph downhill in the centre of a blind corner. So I drive round them at 10mph with dipped headlamps. So far I have neither killed or injured any despite their endeavours.. (They remind me of some Audi drivers and motorcyclists on the Leek to Buxton road: . Anumber kill themselves each year)

(They remind me of some Audi drivers and motorcyclists on the Leek to Buxton road: . A number kill themselves each year)

Much like the Buxton-Macclesfield road I guess. The other hazard there is coming round a bend to find an ambulance blocking a lane while rescuing another biker.

Any - Cyclists - sammy1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6372549/Teenage-cyclist-rides-straight-car-sending-bike-flying-lands-feet.html

This dash cam footage is self explanatory

Any - Cyclists - Bromptonaut

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6372549/Teenage-cyclist-rides-straight-car-sending-bike-flying-lands-feet.html

He started off right by overtaking stopped bus rather than going up its nearside or taking to pavement.

Rest is just poor observation.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

He started off right by overtaking stopped bus rather than going up its nearside or taking to pavement.

Rest is just poor observation.

The bus was moving. It looked like he tailgated the bus, then raced it and had no hope of getting past. Let’s hope he never drives a car.

The bus was moving. It looked like he tailgated the bus, then raced it and had no hope of getting past. Let’s hope he never drives a car.

Reviewing the full video you're quite right. What I initially thought was a Bus Stop sign is actually start of a 20 limit. It also shows how woeful his observation was, he had ample time to see the car coming.

There are loads of hazards there. It's school kicking out time so lots of youngsters who might step into road either to cross or because they're skylarking with mates. Several parked cars which, particularly given it's school run time may move or have doors open without warning. The bus is likely to stop at some time with possibility of inattentive passengers crossing road. Had to brake sharply on my commute last week to avoid just such a dozy 'apporth. Aware of possibility I'd included peering through the bus in my 'scan' so was prepared for her not looking right before stepping into my path.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/11/2018 at 11:32

Any - Cyclists - Brit_in_Germany

So is this footage.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6372303/Cyclist-p...k

Any - Cyclists - Leif

So is this footage.

Let’s hope the motorists are prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

Any - Cyclists - Ethan Edwards

That happened to me. Course I was on an 1100cc Honda ST1100. See its just a two wheels invisible thing for some drivers. Best thing is for car drivers to start out doing a year on a motorbike. Imo.

That happened to me. Course I was on an 1100cc Honda ST1100. See its just a two wheels invisible thing for some drivers. Best thing is for car drivers to start out doing a year on a motorbike. Imo.

Where I live there are lots of accident due to other road users not paying enough attention/not anticipating and mitigating, either when entering a road, or watching for vehicles coming out of side roads, especially rural country lanes coming on to fast-moving single carriageway trunk roads, or short slip-ons from the same onto dual carriageways, especially at night or in poor weather.

I think it would be a good idea for learner drivers (including HGV learners) to spend some time on the road on cycles or motorbikes to get the perspective from such road users and hopefully be more considerate.

One thing that I would ask - directed at those backroomers who have children of the age that used to take part in such things - is the cycle proficiency test still in operation via schools? I thought the training to pass it was very helpful in making me a more considerate cyclist.

One thing that I would ask - directed at those backroomers who have children of the age that used to take part in such things - is the cycle proficiency test still in operation via schools? I thought the training to pass it was very helpful in making me a more considerate cyclist.

Not sure about Nationwide, but from what i have seen, it is still in operation in the Aberdeenshire area. There have been a few times in different areas when i have been cleaning windows on quiet streets and came across lots of kids on bikes with their high vis vests on, and i remember when my youngest did his. A few years ago now, but i remember him being really chuffed that the instructor had complimented him on his bike (which was an Islabikes).

In England I think it's been subsumed into something called Bikebility:

bikeability.org.uk/what/

In England I think it's been subsumed into something called Bikebility:

bikeability.org.uk/what/

Good to see something along the lines of the old cycling proficiency scheme is still going, though I wonder how widely it is taken up, given how many people seem to be inconsiderate on our roads today. Even for the occasional cyclist, I think they are worth it, as it can give them later on as a car/van/HGV driver or just a pedestrian a better appreciation of the road environment.

Of course, then there's the 'next level' of hate between cars, vans, HGVs, far more than of cyclists, but of motorcyclists, including mopeds and scooters (the dreaded pizza delivery guy or the 'yoof' having a 'larf'). Perhaps for anyone thread. Maybe we should all go round driving Morris Minors - I don't think anyone hates them, even if they are rather slow. Or perhaps Morgans.

That happened to me. Course I was on an 1100cc Honda ST1100. See its just a two wheels invisible thing for some drivers. Best thing is for car drivers to start out doing a year on a motorbike.

Hmmm. I've never been a biker, nor had any urge to. I don't think that is because in his younger days my father had a fairly minor accident on an Ariel which put him in hospital for 18 months. But as you ride a bike with an engine as big as those in many small cars, you may cause more irritation than you realise by exploiting that power and manoeuvrability while sneaking through marrow gaps in traffic.

I remember driving eastwards over Stainmore (a very snaky road) among a small fleet of bikes who seemed to think many of the bends were not actually blind corners. As always, there are good ones and others.

Any - Cyclists - barney100

Two young lads in dark clothing on after dark, no lights showing front or back cycling down a main road. Not even reflectors.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

So is this footage.

That reminds me that a week ago I was approaching a T junction, and I just knew the car at the junction would pull out. Sure enough, she pulled out right in front of my car, forcing an emergency stop. She was so absorbed watching for a gap from the left that she ignored the right. I have it on video, and it is as I remember it. I pity a motorcyclist meeting this woman.

A couple of years ago i remember coming home from work on a single carriageway road in the dark and having to swerve to avoid a young male on a bike with no lights, high vis, or even reflectors. And that is not the worst part, (drumroll) he was on the wrong side of the road!!

Any - Cyclists - Bolt

A couple of years ago i remember coming home from work on a single carriageway road in the dark and having to swerve to avoid a young male on a bike with no lights, high vis, or even reflectors. And that is not the worst part, (drumroll) he was on the wrong side of the road!!

What can make it worse is when as last night on a 25mile trip in the pouring rain and flooding, just managed to see 5 cycle riders within a mile or so all with dark clothing and no lights or reflectors, and counted 12 cars over the entire trip without lights as well, several had not got DRLs either to make it worse.

this all in London and the only Police I saw was around a football stadium

Any - Cyclists - barney100

Again this morning, B road and three cyclists strung out on a bend, they were ok but a BMW decides to overtake the lot which caused fun and games getting out the way for me coming the other side. Red rag to a bull for some drivers the cyclists have become.

Again this morning, B road and three cyclists strung out on a bend, they were ok but a BMW decides to overtake the lot which caused fun and games getting out the way for me coming the other side. Red rag to a bull for some drivers the cyclists have become.

If they'd been riding in a echelon or 2+1 BMW man might have thought better and waited.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

That was not uncommon in the Slough area when I lived there 15 years ago. Sadly.

Any - Cyclists - Warning

Cycling UK’s Cyclists’ Defence Fund (CDF) took up the case after the Metropolitan Police refused to refer it to the Crown Prosecution Service for advice on whether to charge Ms Purcell.

The organisation brought the prosecution with support from more than 2,000 people who donated more than £80,000 to help fund the case.

These cycling campaign groups are militant. They are quick to point fault, but are cocked eyed when cyclists regularly break traffic laws.

Cycling campaign group want to every driver who is involved with a cyclist to be jailed. Cyclist have no compulsory training. They don't have to carry insurance.

I know people who have to swerve their car, to avoid cyclists, and cause a collision with another vehicle, but the cyclist failed to stop. No identification. Where is the justice?

I have seen fast cyclists shout abuse at people crossing the road, when they got in their way. All car drivers would have slowed down when they saw pedestrians crossing the road. Cyclists don't read the Highway Code, as they would have known pedestrians have right of way.

They built segregated cycle lanes, but only only 50% of cyclists use them. The other 50% of cyclist still share traffic with existing road users. They should fine cyclists for not using cycle lanes, where there are available.

These cycling groups want more cycle lanes, but this free lunch is paid by motorist via car tax and fuel duty.

How many cyclists have been disqualified from the roads for bad cycling?

Post deleted.

I'll reply more fully later.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/11/2018 at 14:43

Any - Cyclists - Leif

I agree with some of your points. Where I commute to and from work most cyclists are good, and only a rare few are nut jobs. However, in busier places I would often come across cyclists riding in a thoughtless and unsafe manner, generally getting up everyones noses. Yes I've been verbally abused, and I've had cyclists pull in front of me while waiting at a junction, then force me to go at their speed for miles. A year or so back I often saw cyclists ride from the pavement and onto the road, as I was approaching. Or emerge from a side road, oblivious of my approach. Dangerous and inconsiderate cycling was commonplace. The main danger was to the cyclist, not me.

As regards cycle lanes, the problem with ones I used in the past is that they are no good. For example one in Slough was no more than markings on a pavement. Pedestrians routinely walked on them, making them unsafe. And they ended at each junction forcing the cyclist to dismount, and wait for the lights. It was much much quicker and safer to cycle on the road. In other words they were no more than cheap and badly thought out.

I admit I hate cyclists, they cause congestion and most are car drivers cycling for pleasure, and selfishness. However, I always give them plenty of space and respect.

Any - Cyclists - focussed

Here in La Belle France coming back from the shops on the outskirts of our nearest largish town this morning - the last roundabout before getting out of the town.

Female cyclist - helmet - hivis - off road type bike loaded with shopping bags and panniers. Wobbles into the roundabout and swerves to the rhs no signals, mirrors or looks behind - carries on wobbling slowly around the outside of the circle - I have no clue as to where she is going.

I come to a halt halfway around the roundabout- the following cars come to a halt also.

She wobbles on and uses 2nd exit road ahead oblivious to me and to the puzzled drivers behind.

Just in case you are wondering, this town isn't Hicksville out in the sticks - it's a quite busy smart prosperous town.

No hooting or verbal abuse though - just shaking of heads!

Edited by focussed on 14/11/2018 at 16:35

I've had cyclists pull in front of me while waiting at a junction, then force me to go at their speed for miles.

Just like a tractor, or a horse, or a traction engine (now that would really get up your nose). We are all entitled to use the public highway, sometimes inconveniently at our own speed.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

I've had cyclists pull in front of me while waiting at a junction, then force me to go at their speed for miles.

Just like a tractor, or a horse, or a traction engine (now that would really get up your nose). We are all entitled to use the public highway, sometimes inconveniently at our own speed.

A tractor can not overtake me and then stop in front of me while I am stopped and waiting to exit a junction. For one thing there is not the room. Nor can a traction engine. Motor bikelists often do it, but they can pull away quicker than me, so it makes sense. It’s just an example of the lack of consideration of a small but significant number of cyclists. It happened twice recently, once as I started moving, so potentially dangerous, I almost hit him with my car. I thought of hooting, and decided it was pointless, I’d just get a one finger salute. Best to just keep calm, let numnuts proceed, and for me to just drive safely. The truth is that many roads just aren’t designed for push bikes.

<< Cycling campaign group want every driver who is involved with a cyclist to be jailed. Cyclists have no compulsory training. They don't have to carry insurance. I know people who have to swerve their car, to avoid cyclists, and cause a collision with another vehicle, but the cyclist failed to stop. No identification. Where is the justice? >>

You are considering cyclists to be vehicles who must obey the same rules as other road vehicles. In fact they are much closer to pedestrians, especially regarding their vulnerability to impact from wheeled lumps of steel weighing over a ton. Granted they should occupy their road space with consideration and common sense. Would you make the same demands of actual pedestrians? (they don't have 'training' either, unless you count Road Drill at school).

Any - Cyclists - Leif

<< Cycling campaign group want every driver who is involved with a cyclist to be jailed. Cyclists have no compulsory training. They don't have to carry insurance. I know people who have to swerve their car, to avoid cyclists, and cause a collision with another vehicle, but the cyclist failed to stop. No identification. Where is the justice? >>

You are considering cyclists to be vehicles who must obey the same rules as other road vehicles. In fact they are much closer to pedestrians, especially regarding their vulnerability to impact from wheeled lumps of steel weighing over a ton. Granted they should occupy their road space with consideration and common sense. Would you make the same demands of actual pedestrians? (they don't have 'training' either, unless you count Road Drill at school).

So you think cyclists can ignore stop signs, give way signs, red traffic lights? As I’ve said before, most cyclists down here are safe, but I recently saw one overtake stationary cars, go through a red light, turn left, and nearly hit a car being driven correctly. Sorry but they must obey the Highway Code, and the laws of the road.

<< So you think cyclists can ignore stop signs, give way signs, red traffic lights? Sorry but they must obey the Highway Code, and the laws of the road. >>

If I had meant that I would have said it. The basic fact is that except for motorways our roads are not really 'designed' for any particular class of vehicle, several kinds are permitted to use them, and there is too much congestion. Some cars also ignore the signs you mention, tho possibly cyclists more so as they are less easily identified.

Methinks you feel that as cars are in the majority they should take precedence. There are poor drivers and poor cyclists, unfortunately.

Any - Cyclists - Avant

Thank you for continuing to keep this thread fairly civilised.

But why can't you just have done with it and agree to disagree? There are good and bad drivers, and good and bad cyclists - and good and bad pedestrians, come to that. End of story.

Any - Cyclists - Bilboman

"You can't understand someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes" (ditto, ridden a thousand miles on their bike, driven a thousand miles in their HGV, etc.)
I suspect that pedestrians who are also cyclists are less likely to have "issues" with cyclists on the road; likewise HGV drivers who also ride motorbikes; bus drivers who also ride scooters; taxi drivers who cycle to work, etc., etc. Those who are only familiar with one mode of travel are at something of a disadvantage. The proverbial white van man, as one example, will most likely have empathy for cyclists if he is himself a cyclist, and so on.
(Would any HGV-driving part time sheep-droving unicyclists out there care to comment? :-)

Any - Cyclists - sammy1

The council in Bournemouth spending £12k on Cycling Speed cameras on the seafront about sums up the mentality of pedestrians v cyclists. The truth is they do not belong on the same strip of tarmac. A pedestrian hit by a cyclist will come off second best and could be killed or suffer life changing injuries. Youngsters and indeed older pedestrians do not have any appreciation of so called designated cycle lanes and are put at risk by local authorities allowing cycles to interact with pedestrians. So called pedestrianised shopping centres are plagued by cyclists charging through them. I am surprised that in the at fault society that we now live in councils have not woken up to their liabilities. Cyclists are not allowed on the motorway because of presumably the speed discrepancy so the same logic should apply to cyclists and pedestrians. The old laws of NO cycling on the pavement are dead or more pedestrians will be if this goes on.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

I used to cycle to and from work. I hate cyclists who use busy two lane roads at rush hour as they create tail backs. When I cycled, it was cross country via roads with only light traffic, so I wasn't followed by a long tail back. Maybe if we had cycle only paths cross country, but it would require too much expense.

Any - Cyclists - Manatee

I hate cyclists who use busy two lane roads at rush hour...

and on 14 Nov at 15:03 -

>> I admit I hate cyclists, they cause congestion...

and on 5 Nov at 22:23 -

>> I hate cyclists at rush hour on B roads...

And that's with them actually doing anything wrong. No wonder cyclists are paranoid;)

Any - Cyclists - Avant

Has anyone anything further to say, constructively, on this thread? If not, it closes.

Any - Cyclists - Manatee

Has anyone anything further to say, constructively, on this thread? If not, it closes.

Well, I don't know whether it is constructive or not to say it, but I think a large part of the problem is a lack of understanding by drivers of cycling and cyclists. Some cyclists are also lacking in empathy with drivers, but most are drivers themselves so that is probably less of a problem.

Leaving aside the few pedallers who are arrogant, selfish and ignore red lights, abuse pedestrian crossings, ride on pavements and so on, there are good reasons why cyclists do some things that look to some drivers like a lack of consideration. A review of the public service information to include more information about the reasons for some common cycling behaviours might help both sets of road users - I cringe when I see inexperienced cyclists attempting to ride in the gutter, putting themselves in great danger.

Perhaps more visible enforcement of rules for cycling as well as 'advice' to drivers seen close-passing, would help some drivers to shake off the idea that they have to comply while cyclists can do what they like. Of course anything involving enforcement has implications for police resources and priorities.

Better infrastructure would of course help but the problem cannot be solved that way in any reasonable timescale. We need to get to a point where cyclists are seen as legitimate road users, and compromise is seen as normal.

For myself, I am much more frequently irritated by drivers trundling along at 38mph in NSLs (which speed they often maintain in 30 limits too) and creating rolling road blocks by following other slow vehicles especially lorries too closely, than by cyclists 'holding me up' for a couple of hundred yards. These experiences with 'obstructive' drivers are much more common - by a multiple - than any problems with cyclists.

These "cyclists" threads will always be a waste of time until more people realise that the problem isn't usually the cyclists. The general standard of driving in this country is dreadful, and a lot of that is about attitude.

Any - Cyclists - gordonbennet
For myself, I am much more frequently irritated by drivers trundling along at 38mph in NSLs (which speed they often maintain in 30 limits too) and creating rolling road blocks by following other slow vehicles especially lorries too closely, than by cyclists 'holding me up' for a couple of hundred yards.

I couldn't agree more with your post MT, and picking the above paragraph out in particular, it never cases to amaze me that even an the motorway i have been followed in my tanker by cars (and vans and other lorries) for miles so close that i can actually see the vehicle in the downward pointing reversing camera on the back of tank! so within 10ft, in the event of crash style stop the stainless fittings at the back are likely to be embedded permanently somewhere behind their teeth, you really have to wonder.

And yes the standard of driving in all vehicles is dropping fast, not helped by the vehicles increasingly taking the needed skills away, this will not end well.

Any - Cyclists - Leif

I hate cyclists who use busy two lane roads at rush hour...

and on 14 Nov at 15:03 -

>> I admit I hate cyclists, they cause congestion...

and on 5 Nov at 22:23 -

>> I hate cyclists at rush hour on B roads...

And that's with them actually doing anything wrong. No wonder cyclists are paranoid;)

I hate them, but I treat them with respect on the road: I give them plenty of room, I overtake them as if they are a car etc. So as far as my driving is concerned, I give them zero reason to feel paranoid. However, if they read my posts they might feel very paranoid :)

Honestly, anyone who cycles will feel paranoid due to the nut jobs about. Just stating the obvious.