The perfect cheap used car - SLO76
Picked up my new/old car, a replacement for a contract lease Honda CRV I was tired of paying for. I needed space and wanted comfort and reliability so went for a petrol 60 plate Toyota Avensis 1.8 Estate with 70,000 miles and full history in a local private sale for £4150, around £1500 less than dealers are asking for similar.

I prefer buying privately because you get to meet the last owner face to face and seeing where they live tells you a lot about how their attitude to maintenance and their personal finances. This one was on the drive of a particularly nice large home and the very pleasant lady who occupied it had recently had a promotion and car allowance which was the reason for selling despite recently having shelled out for new tyres, rear calippers and a full service.

First appraisal done now it’s on my drive and it’s in near perfect condition inside and out, drives exactly as it did when new and is genuinely vast inside. It managed more than 40mpg on the run home and is quieter and better on the road than the much more costly CRV it replaces. A win win so far and all for a fraction of the cost of another new SUV or large estate. The good lady wife is of course less than impressed with having to slum it down among the plebs on the road again but if she wants another SUV she can fund it.

The perfect cheap used car - Steveieb

you may think of putting all your knowledge into print SLO along the lines of James Rupport in his bangernomics books.

Keep up the posts and thanks for being on hand during the difficult negatiation times when buying a car.

“you may think of putting all your knowledge into print SLO along the lines of James Rupport in his bangernomics books.”

I’m a keen follower of James, even had a few of my past purchases appear on his page in Autocar. We often differ in views on what constitutes a wise budget buy however, he all too often recommends diesels and expensive to repair execs to people of limited means. Always a good read though.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/09/2018 at 12:44

The perfect cheap used car - badbusdriver

I remember a long time ago buying a book of his on bangernomics. There was a list of cars which, at the time, would have been candidates for this.

Under Renault 20, it said something like; big, comfy, softly sprung, French hatch.

Under Renault 30 it said; as per the 20, plus wild, uncontrollable wheelspin!. Nearly bought one of them in my youth, wish i had.

Of course, the two Renault's, like many others on that list, would now be all but extinct!.

I was a bit of a fan of big blue collar barges like that old Renault. Granada, Carlton, Safeane, 25, XM etc etc. Great used buys and like a sofa on wheels.
The perfect cheap used car - nellyjak

Nice one, SLO...good decision....good deal.

The perfect cheap used car - Sprice

Agreed, I did the same thing. I went from a leased 9G 63-plate Civic 1.6 diesel to an 8G 09-plate 1.8 petrol Civic earlier this year. My mileage changed from circa 22k p.a to about 8.5k. The 9G was a great car, genuine >70 mpg consistently (measured by brimming), but after 4 years, 84k miles decided not to push my luck, even though the DTEC seems pretty reliable, I certainly had no issues with DPF etc, just the pretty common clutc judder when cold.

The Avensis is a really nice car, I had a 13-plate 2.0 diesel as a hire car, but being a bit of a Honda fanboy it was another Civic for me, plus I'm not a fan of EPB's. Mine was FHSH, 71k miles, new MOT and despite the oft-reported hard ride, I don't find it any worse than the 9G, plus a genuine 45 mpg and it can shift. Even came with the quire rare factory bluetooth and space-saver options, strangely it also has the compressor and gunk, plus knowing if I scratch it I won't get a potential fine when returning it to the lease people (like I did for a v.small dent on the bonnet of the leased car).

The perfect cheap used car - catsdad
"strangely it also has the compressor and gunk" they probably did what I did. My 9G came with gunk kit and jack and I bought a spacesaver. So I ended up with both options.

Funnily enough my preceding car was a 2011 Avensis diesel estate. Perfectly OK but I prefer the Civic. Thats not to say SLO has made a wrong choice, if anyone knows what meets his needs its him!
I’d be quite happy with a Civic but you can’t be too particular when buying used on a budget. It’s what’s available at the time and condition and history over make and model.
Three months in and not a single problem to report. Good used cars like this seriously make you doubt the need to spend a fortune on a new car via monthly PCP or lease. I’m intending on keeping this longterm as a workhorse/dog wagon when it’s pensioned off main family car duties. Only noise it’s generating comes from the passenger seat where sits snobbish swmbo who still moans the passing of her CRV.
The perfect cheap used car - gordonbennet

The only reason there isn't an Avensis estate on our drive is the electric parking brake, EPB has been my line in the sand and will remain so, it ruled out the 2009 on Subaru Outback which was otherwise on the cards when we replaced the previous one for SWMBO.

IIRC the EPB on your beast was fixed before you bought it, or is my memory playing up again, what are you doing to keep it working well SLO, oiling it working it regularly or is there some secret you've found out about to keep them happy?

The only reason there isn't an Avensis estate on our drive is the electric parking brake, EPB has been my line in the sand and will remain so, it ruled out the 2009 on Subaru Outback which was otherwise on the cards when we replaced the previous one for SWMBO.

IIRC the EPB on your beast was fixed before you bought it, or is my memory playing up again, what are you doing to keep it working well SLO, oiling it working it regularly or is there some secret you've found out about to keep them happy?

No fan of these unnecessary gadgets myself. It did have new rear callipers before I bought it but I’m actually not that sure of the inner workings of these EPB’s having never had the pleasure of stripping one down. Possibly it’s been attended to already but to date it’s worked without fault. The only receipts relating to it are for the callipers. It will be interesting to see how reliable it is over time. The only problem came when my 4yr old son switched the interior lights on which flattened the battery over a weekend and I had to move the car to get access for the jump leads. The hand brake disengaged but wouldn’t re-engage so it left me having to jump it on a hill with my foot on the brake. No big hassle but a manual handbrake is by far the sensible option. I see no real benefit from this gadget. Battery was fine and interior lights are checked before leaving car anywhere especially when boy wonder has been in it.
The perfect cheap used car - corax
The hand brake disengaged but wouldn’t re-engage so it left me having to jump it on a hill with my foot on the brake. No big hassle but a manual handbrake is by far the sensible option. I see no real benefit from this gadget.

Amazing isn't it, you end up in the one scenario that could have done with the old system, I wonder if the designers ever thought of that. I suppose you could have put some bricks behind the wheels, that is if one has some convenient bricks lying around. But that is still questionable and won't work on a steep hill.

The only thing that I think is a boon is the modern hill holder, but I think this uses the ABS to hold brake pressure in the system and is separate from the electronic handbrake.

The perfect cheap used car - Heidfirst

No fan of these unnecessary gadgets myself. It did have new rear callipers before I bought it but I’m actually not that sure of the inner workings of these EPB’s having never had the pleasure of stripping one down. Possibly it’s been attended to already but to date it’s worked without fault. The only receipts relating to it are for the callipers. It will be interesting to see how reliable it is over time.

I am just about to go into my 7th year of driving an Avensis with an EPB (actually 2 T27s, a 2012 & now a 2017) & have been active on the toyotaownersclub forum for much longer than that as I also had an older 2007 model Avensis T25 with a mechanical handbrake before that.

From what I have read/seen over the years whilst there definitely have been EPB actuator failures on Avensis T27s & it is an expensive part to replace/repair:

• imo fear of Avensis EPB failures is much, much higher than actual failure rate
  • The Avensis EPB doesn't seem to have had the failure rate of VAG group ones
  • It has been improved over the years so failures are rarer in later cars
  • Toyota customer service tends to look after people with goodwill even outside normal warranty subject to the customer having shown goodwill to them (i.e. keeping the car serviced to schedule within the dealer network)

Edited by Heidfirst on 22/12/2018 at 18:45

I agree. I know a few folks who run these including several taxi drivers, one with over 170k up and none have had bother with it to date. It doesn’t seem to suffer anywhere near the same failure rate as other EPB’s and so far mine has been faultless. Previous owner has now mentioned the calliper replacement wasn’t related to the EPB. It doesn’t have a dealer history however, it’s mostly a good local indi but at 8yrs old I wouldn’t expect much help anyway.

On a further note I’m finding the heater exceptionally good which is very welcome on my very short commute in deepest darkest (and wetest) West Scotland winter.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/12/2018 at 19:50

Seven months later and (touch wood) not a single problem with my £4K family workhorse. I still maintain the Avensis in any generation makes an excellent used buy. Economy is averaging early 40’s and to date it’s been no bother at all. No monthly payment, excellent reliability and minimal depreciation make for cheap motoring. No fun to drive but excels as a motorway mile muncher with good refinement, excellent high speed stability and decent ride comfort. I’d recommend one to anyone.
The perfect cheap used car - TQ

You purchased an excellent CAR...not some fancy German thing dressed up as a car but being nothing of the sort. Long may your Avensis live (it probably will!).

Seven months later and (touch wood) not a single problem with my £4K family workhorse. I still maintain the Avensis in any generation makes an excellent used buy. Economy is averaging early 40’s and to date it’s been no bother at all. No monthly payment, excellent reliability and minimal depreciation make for cheap motoring. No fun to drive but excels as a motorway mile muncher with good refinement, excellent high speed stability and decent ride comfort. I’d recommend one to anyone.

Sounds good SLO. Through various posts on the forum, i have found myself looking at used cars like this. Some of them really do look like spectacular bargains for folk unconcerned about image or keeping up with the neighbours/work colleagues/family members. Fingers crossed that EPB doesn't cause you any grief!.

“Sounds good SLO. Through various posts on the forum, i have found myself looking at used cars like this. Some of them really do look like spectacular bargains for folk unconcerned about image or keeping up with the neighbours/work colleagues/family members. Fingers crossed that EPB doesn't cause you any grief!.”

That is the only real concern but to date it’s been fine and I’ve a work colleague with a diesel one with over 175k up and the EPB hasn’t been an issue to date. In fact it’s never had anything beyond an exhaust and other wear and tear items like brakes and tyres.
The perfect cheap used car - edlithgow

Puzzled as to why SLO, with that level of UK automotive market knowledge (not, I'd have thought, acquired overnight), and with his head screwed on fairly firmly, was in a lease deal in the first place.

None of my business, of course. Just seems odd.

Puzzled as to why SLO, with that level of UK automotive market knowledge (not, I'd have thought, acquired overnight), and with his head screwed on fairly firmly, was in a lease deal in the first place.

None of my business, of course. Just seems odd.

Darling wife wanted a newer and larger car to replace the ageing but utterly reliable Honda Civic I bought many years before and amazingly offered to pay half the cost if I bought a new car. I did the sums and shopped around online then called dealers to see if any would match the best deal I found and one Honda dealer in Glasgow would to get his numbers up. It was around £50 a month less than the Honda contract hire list price saving £2,400 over the 48mth term. Taking into account the list price, any likely discount and the depreciation over 4yrs leasing with such a sizeable discount often works out the cheapest way to own £25k plus cars. It was in this case. The boss lady is now a student teacher and commuting to Uni for free on the bus via my family work pass so expensive car was no longer sensible but while old Toyota is an excellent car and suits my miserly nature the gaffers snob radar isn’t quite satisfied and will require another new or newish SUV whenever teacher wages start poring in. Another CRV is likely next year but old Toyota will stay as second car and current diesel Polo will be sold.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/04/2019 at 10:15

Good to hear SLO...though as a long time Toyota fan (with currently 2 Toyotas) it doesn't surprise me at all.

For me, they are still just about the best mass produced marque available...maybe not the most "exciting", but in terms of quality, reliability and depreciation there's little to beat them IMO.

Totally agree.
My daughter in laws Y Reg Japanese built Yaris has completed another flawless 12 months service and passed the Mot with no advisories .
Brilliant and being auto too , amazing performance for a 20 year old car !
The perfect cheap used car - Alby Back
All sounds great, apart from the "no fun to drive" bit.

The fun comes from beating the system and saving money but yes my old Mazda MX5 toy is much missed. Another cheap fun toy will be sought when and if swmbo brings in a wage.
The perfect cheap used car - John F

...another cheap fun car...

;-)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273821121971?ul_noapp=true

Edited by John F on 28/04/2019 at 11:39

That’s quite nice actually John. Thinking more of an 80’s or 90’s hot hatch or possibly a Ford Puma if I can find a good one when funds allow. I’d like another MX5 but no chance of getting away with just two seats with petrolhead wife and 4yr old in tow.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/04/2019 at 11:42

That depends on the model and what you want/expect from it...a few years back I had a Celica..now that WAS fun to drive.!!!

My current 3 litre V6 MPV beast is a joy to drive for different reasons...extremely comfortable and powerful and devoid of any stress...that's what I wanted now I'm getting on a bit..lol..and it certainly can give me some fun if I care to use the power available. (and I sometimes do.)

The perfect cheap used car - Trilogy.

SLO, Puma would be my top choice for a an inexpensive fun car, if something more practical was needed it would be an Alfa 147/156, bought with open eyes. All can be found for relatively little dosh.

The perfect cheap used car - SteveLee

My favourite bangers were both Japanese. A Honda CRX for £250, 1 years of lots of fun before the tinworm finished it off. And a £500 Nissan Primera P11D 2.0SX - what a chassis! - an absolute hoot to chuck down the lanes - it could keep up with just about anything on the twisties. Ended up giving it away to a friend when a bargain XM came up.

Though an honourable mention has to go to a Opal Senator 3.0CDX auto I bought from an auction for £80. Two years of comfy motoring, switchable sports suspension when I wanted to have some fun and a sublime cruiser when I didn't.

The perfect cheap used car - Trilogy.

I like the Primera MK1 and 2. Most think they're boring and dull, nothing could be further from the truth.

I like the Primera MK1 and 2. Most think they're boring and dull, nothing could be further from the truth.

Yep, a better chassis than the superb and much-lauded Mondeo, nobody took any notice so Nissan quit using expensive suspension for the MK3. If you're doing the time - you may as well do the crime!

“I like the Primera MK1 and 2. Most think they're boring and dull, nothing could be further from the truth.”

Brilliant cars when they first came out in late 1990. Compared to rivals it was by far the class leader with driving dynamics to match the Pug 405 but with vastly superior quality. It would run circles round Cavaliers, Sierras and Carinas. Ride was a bit firm but not uncomfortable and the handling, steering and gear-change were pin sharp. Lovely car the Mk I especially anything with the lusty 2.0 petrol motor particularly the ZX. But they never really developed it and following gens were increasingly ugly and off pace.

I’d dispute that it was a better chassis than the Mondeo though but it was the best family car on the road for the three years before the Mondeo turned up and would easily outlast one. The Mondeo was a step up to drive though.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/04/2019 at 23:59

But they never really developed it and following gens were increasingly ugly and off pace. I’d dispute that it was a better chassis than the Mondeo though but it was the best family car on the road for the three years before the Mondeo turned up and would easily outlast one. The Mondeo was a step up to drive though.

The P11 handled every bit as well as the P10, but yes the rest of the car wasn't really modernised. Lusty is a good word for the 2.0 - a very nice "real-world" engine. I think the Mondeo suspension was tweaked more towards comfort - it would under-steer way before you could provoke the Primera to do the same thing, but it was still a cracking handler. The Mondeo was better in every other way though, much nicer interior, refinement, equipment - a real game changer.

sadly, the chances to enjoy driving around here are becoming few & far between :( - more congestion, worse roads & increasingly automated enforcement ...

The perfect cheap used car - gordonbennet

sadly, the chances to enjoy driving around here are becoming few & far between :( - more congestion, worse roads & increasingly automated enforcement ...

Correct, the few enjoyable drives i get now are at 3.30 am when i leave for work, especially if i've got SWMBO Forester XT for the journey, generally though Northamptonshire's road network is ruined and the county is grinding to a motoring halt.

The county has suffered a massive influx of warehousing and regional distribution centres, due to its central location, and of course any spare bit of green land (except for the more well heeled parts of the county owned by the right people) is having many thousands of houses thrown up for the new population influx, and don't forget indentikit retail/leisure parks again with no new roads, their idea of road infrastructure is to put roundabout and traffic light controlled junctions dotted along the same existing roads...which couldn't cope 40 years ago...to handle the feeding in of rapidly increasing merging traffic.

Obviously these traffic volumes, much of which is heavy lorry traffic is constantly destroying those few roads hence the third world surfaces found in much of the county, where roads can't be repaired (even if the county wasn't bankrupt) because we haven't any other routes available.

The perfect cheap used car - RT

Don't expect commuting drives to be enjoyable - they never have been for most people.

Get out into the countryside at weekends - we had a pleasant drive across Wales to the coast yesterday, even a vintage tractor road run didn't spoil it as it was great to blast past as opportunities arose. Even driving straight through the centre of Birmingham was no issue.

We were treated to some sort of sports car gathering, coming the other way over the mountain road from Devil's Bridge to Elan Valley, a McLaren, couple of Ferraris, several Porsches plus a number of Audi's, etc - all thoroughly enjoying themselves.

The only numptie we saw was in a Jaguar XF slowing to 35 on bends and then accelerating to 55 on the straights.

The perfect cheap used car - eustace

SLO76, Does your avensis have the problem with the cracks on the front door, as illustrated in the below links?

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/171984-front-door-cracking-at-check-strap-reinforcing-and-repair/

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/175765-door-crack-on-2012-avensis-tourer/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35635/watchdog-fix-avensis-fault

Three avensis I had looked at in the past 2 months all had this problem. A 2011 saloon, a 2010 saloon and a 2010 estate.

If this was purely a cosmetic, issue I would have been happy to ignore it. But I understand that these cracks can cause a whistling noise while driving at motorway speeds. I don't know if sealing it with duct tape, will prevent the wind noise.

Also I understand that the cracks will eventually get larger with time. I have not seen anyone on the toyota forums offer a solution on how to deal with these cracks, short of replacing the doors...

SLO76, Does your avensis have the problem with the cracks on the front door, as illustrated in the below links?

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/171984-front-door-cracking-at-check-strap-reinforcing-and-repair/

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/175765-door-crack-on-2012-avensis-tourer/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35635/watchdog-fix-avensis-fault

Three avensis I had looked at in the past 2 months all had this problem. A 2011 saloon, a 2010 saloon and a 2010 estate.

If this was purely a cosmetic, issue I would have been happy to ignore it. But I understand that these cracks can cause a whistling noise while driving at motorway speeds. I don't know if sealing it with duct tape, will prevent the wind noise.

Also I understand that the cracks will eventually get larger with time. I have not seen anyone on the toyota forums offer a solution on how to deal with these cracks, short of replacing the doors...

The issue with the front doors is completely seperate and something i have seen afflicting many cars while working at garages. It isn't a major problem to rectify, just take the car to a body repair shop and have them weld it up (just make sure the repair is also painted to prevent any rust). The second two links appear to be an issue around the rear doors, and looks like something i'd be much more concerned about were i buying one, as (to me) it would indicate a weakness in the structure of the car.

As you are only mentioning the front door issue, i wouldn't be too concerned, but maybe use it as a bargaining point?.

Hi BBD, Actually all 3 links are regarding issues with the front door. The photographs make it look like they are of the rear door. Actually its the front edge of the front door. The door needs to be opened wide, and you need to lean forward of the front door to take these photos.

The above links describe the efforts an owner has taken to get the door repaired.

I understand that fixing it is difficult because of the shape of the door service, and the thinness of the material used.

Sorry BBD! The third link I posted does deal with the rear door. The link I intended to post was the below:-

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/155620/watchdog-toyota-refuses-to-help-on-avensis-door-crack

Can’t say I’ve noticed any additional wind noise and I wasn’t even aware of this issue. I’ll take a look at mine when I get a chance tomorrow and will report back. Work colleague with the 175,000 miler hasn’t mentioned it either.

If you read through the TOC links you will see that my previous 61-plate, MY12 facelift was 1 of the cars affected (driver's door only, probably because 99% of my driving is driver only so passenger door rarely used). I was never aware of any increased wind noise due to it & I suspect that even fewer of the cars that develop the crack (& that is a very small % to start with) develop any wind noise due to it. Tbh I think that some of the cracks are caught as cracks in the paint due to flexing rather than the skin having already developed a crack (although long term they almost certainly would).

On rear doors simply not an issue (possibly because overall they tend to get much less use but you would expect taxis might develop it but I have never seen a report of even 1).

9 month report on cheapo family wagon and.. yup, you guessed it not a thing to report. No rattles, no loose trim, no issues at all and still early 40’s to the gallon. Not exciting but minimal depreciation and utter reliability so far. Dog very much in love with it too since he’s actually allowed in the boot unlike much too valuable CRV.
9 month report on cheapo family wagon and.. yup, you guessed it not a thing to report. No rattles, no loose trim, no issues at all and still early 40’s to the gallon. Not exciting but minimal depreciation and utter reliability so far. Dog very much in love with it too since he’s actually allowed in the boot unlike much too valuable CRV.

Oh what a surprise...NOT.!!..lol

Dog very much in love with it too since he’s actually allowed in the boot unlike much too valuable CRV.

I'm sure the dog also enjoys the easier access, with the back of the Avensis being closer to the ground than an SUV.

Not surprised at all by the lack of any problems though!.

First Mot and a wee service too. Needed a bulb for its test (which I hadn’t noticed) and I had them secure the rear exhaust heat shield which I’ve been meaning to do for ages but that’s it for a years motoring it’s cost me all of £176.

Mine was in for a service a week ago. Only thing outside usual checks, 2-yearly brake fluid change, oil & assorted filter inspection/changes was the rear wiper blade was starting to tear (a Bosch replacement is £6), nothing else required.

First year costs compared to the leased Honda CRV we had previously.

Honda was £259pcm and cost £179 for a minor service, total £3287

Toyota costs nothing per month (bought from savings) but has lost approx £650 in its first year plus service, Mot and a bulb cost £176 plus road tax £200 Total £1036

Factor in a minor added cost in fuel over just under 10,000 miles (42mpg v 56mpg) and the savings are approximately £2,000 and there has been no dip in reliability and only a minor drop in comfort. If the same continues for the 4yrs we had the CRV without hitch it’s a substantial saving but of course swmbo will demand an upgrade at some point, the choice will be which one to keep as the second car. The tough as old boots and hugely practical old Toyota or the cheaper to run and more enjoyable to drive and easier to park/abandon Polo TDi Match?

The costs of course will compare even more favourably when considering the substantial increase in prices we’ve seen in recent years on new and nearly new cars. A new Honda CRV of equivalent spec (a 1.5 SE 2wd) is now over £300pcm to lease but next time I will buy used.
The perfect cheap used car - macscrooge

Some years ago I had an 07 Avensis 1.8 as a hire car (while waiting, coincidentally for a leased CR-V...). I wanted to not like it and trashed it mercilessly for a week. I ended up being rather sorry to see it go. And the 36mpg was pretty respectable in the circumstances.

If I was paying cash for a big reliable car I'd certainly consider an Avensis.

macscrooge... love it, wish I’d used that one. Macscrooge’s misery motoring.
Just back from wee UK holiday all 1616 miles of it and not a problem to report that was of the cars doing. Unfortunately even Toyota can’t completely idiot proof their cars as I proved when I lost the keys in Minehead and had to call the RAC to fish out the spare set I’d wisely brought but stupidly forgot to remove from the drivers door pocket.

Little mishap aside old Toyota performed admirably with no issues at all. Economy for the trip was just over 42mpg which for a heavily laden, petrol powered, largish estate is quite decent especially when much of it involved typical (and perfectly safe in good conditions) UK motorway speeds and a fair bit of traffic around Windsor and again on the M6 thanks to torrential rain causing flooding and a few accidents. Typical British summer.

As always I enjoyed my wee visit to rural England, I’ve a particular fondness for your wee village pubs. Believe it or not it was also a pleasure to visit London too which always has a very different feel from other European cities I’ve visited in recent years. While Paris, Barcelona and Rome were full of illegal’s trying to rob or con you and armed police everywhere London felt perfectly safe with a very low obvious police presence. The trains were clean, ran on time and were staffed by polite helpful people and our Merlin passes saw us straight on the London Eye with hardly any wait.

As with most UK holidays though the cost is far far too high. Hugely underestimated my spending and shall now be on beans and toast for the remainder of the year. It has cost far more than two weeks in a nice resort somewhere but after Paris last year I’m uncomfortable taking wife and 4yr old son abroad. On a sight seeing excursion we were mobbed at any tourist site you stopped at by illegals trying to distract and rob you. I won’t be back there or to Rome. Both are like war zones.

I was given a task by brother in law on a short visit on route home to hunt for a car up to £6k so the next few days will be enjoyable (for me) as I always get pleasure from spending other people’s money.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2019 at 01:53

The perfect cheap used car - Smileyman

Great to read a positive report for London, we don't always appreciate the good things we have going for us.Thank you.

The perfect cheap used car - catsdad

Anne-Marie, don't be shy. Aren't you associated with Motorpoint?

(Spam post that led to this comment deleted.)

Edited by Avant on 08/08/2019 at 00:33

The perfect cheap used car - paul 1963

Avant, please delete Anne-Maries post, spoils an otherwise thourouly enjoyable thread.

Glad she's running well SLO!

The perfect cheap used car - V4 Heaven

@SLO76

Just wondering how you're getting on with your Avensis?

I'm quite interested in your mpg now that you've had the car for a while.

I previously ran a 1.8 petrol Toyota Carina E and even at over 200,000 miles, my mpg was never less than 42 on my commute. I now have a Lexus CT200h and while the mpg is now in the high 50s/low 60s, I'm missing the space and versatility of a bigger car.

For info my commute is 26 miles of flowing B roads and A roads with a couple of small towns to negotiate. Traffic is generally light and my max speed is 60 due to the nature of the roads/traffic.

If your mpg is around the mid 40s, then the Avensis will be a viable option.

Cheers!

Edited by V4 Heaven on 03/09/2019 at 16:28

@SLO76

Just wondering how you're getting on with your Avensis?

I'm quite interested in your mpg now that you've had the car for a while.

I previously ran a 1.8 petrol Toyota Carina E and even at over 200,000 miles, my mpg was never less than 42 on my commute. I now have a Lexus CT200h and while the mpg is now in the high 50s/low 60s, I'm missing the space and versatility of a bigger car.

For info my commute is 26 miles of flowing B roads and A roads with a couple of small towns to negotiate. Traffic is generally light and my max speed is 60 due to the nature of the roads/traffic.

If your mpg is around the mid 40s, then the Avensis will be a viable option.

Cheers!

Have you read the thread?. I'm asking because on at least 3 seperate posts on this thread so far, including the last but 1 before yours, SLO says what mpg he is getting (early 40's). Which may not quite be mid 40's, but still very impressive for a car of that size with a n/a petrol engine.

The perfect cheap used car - V4 Heaven

Hi,

Yes, had a look through.

Amazingly, for this forum, you all didn't fall out with each other after the top 3 replies.

So I'm interested, with SLO's experience how it may suit my type of driving/commute based on a good guesstimate of his ownership since 15 Sep 18.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 03/09/2019 at 17:43

Amazingly, for this forum, you all didn't fall out with each other after the top 3 replies.

Really?, i have been a member for, i think, about 2.5 years, and in my experience, that is just not the case. Unless of course, you feel people having different opinions is the same as falling out?. Yes, there are sometimes more 'heated' disagreements or discussions, but these usually revolve around very particular topics, and/or, one or two forum members.

Much depends on driving style but i find that it’s quite good on fuel on runs such as your commute. Best I get on longer runs is just over 50mpg but that takes a bit of effort. On average it’s closer to 42mpg but around town it’s 36-37mpg or thereabouts. Fine for a simple big petrol engined family Estate. Drive gently and mid 40’s should be the norm on typical A and B roads.The diesel isn’t hugely better but will offer substantially more midrange pulling power but being less complex the petrol is less likely to go wrong. Now reading just over 85,000 miles and no problems so far other than whining wife demanding something a bit more flash/posh.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/09/2019 at 00:29

Certainly showing the symptoms of a head gasket issue. Boils over for no reason so perhaps it’s time to remove the head.
The perfect cheap used car - expat
Boils over for no reason

They all do that sir.
The perfect cheap used car - daveyK_UK
The batch of 18 plate Honda Jazz cars motorpoint have up for sale price wise is tremendous (different specs available), S trim in solid colour for £7699! SE trim in metallic for £8699! They have been going through BCA auction at a similar price to motorpoint’s price (at Blackbushe).
If you wanted a ‘perfect cheap used car’ a mid spec Jazz 18 months old with 22k for that kind of money fits the bill.

14 months in and a fault has developed! The traction control light came on a few days ago. I stopped, turned it off then back on again and lo and behold it is cured. My engineering skills often astound even me.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/11/2019 at 08:29

The perfect cheap used car - Engineer Andy
14 months in and a fault has developed! The traction control light came on a few days ago. I stopped, turned it off then back on again and lo and behold it is cured. My engineering skills often astound even me.

Ah, the good ol' reboot. Certainly beats the Clarkson 'hit it with a hammer' technique'!

“ Ah, the good ol' reboot. Certainly beats the Clarkson 'hit it with a hammer' technique'!”

Both work well on the buses.
1yr 6mths and ownership is as uneventful as ever. Needs a couple of tyres but otherwise sitting gleaming on my driveway going nowhere. I often pass by local showrooms on my daily pandemic exercise routine and I don’t think any of the cars I see with big five figure price tags on their screens would offer more reliability or practicality. Estimated loss in a year and a half £650 if I sold it on myself and repair costs of one light bulb.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/04/2020 at 16:50

The perfect cheap used car - Random

Terrific Toyotas!

The perfect cheap used car - Mr D Og

My experiences and views on the Toyota Avensis are very similar to those of SLO76 the original poster.

I bought my first Avensis Tourer, a 60 plate, when it was about 7 months old and kept it until the 5 year warranty expired when I replaced it with another 6 month old Avensis Tourer on a 15 plate. Over 9 years motoring both cars could not have been more reliable, costing me no more than usual consumables and routine servicing.

As 1.8 valvematic petrol cars they have very refined and quiet engines and average fuel consumption of about 42 mpg, if you are careful. They are not designed for sporty driving and are at their best on motorways or A roads; and can achieve a respectable 0 to 60 mph in about 9.5 seconds. The fact that they don't haves turbos or superchargers was another plus point for me. While the interior is rather dull they are well equipped, very comfortable and spacious. The boot comfortably accommodated my very large German Shepherd dog on many a long trip from the Home Counties to the coast of North West Scotland.

My latest Avensis reached the end of its 5 year warranty earlier this year and as I suspected it needed new front disks, brake shoes and 2 new tyres, I decided to replace it. I would have stuck with the Toyota brand but the Avensis is no longer made and estate versions of the Camry are not sold in the UK, so that left only the Prius and Corolla. Neither of these has a big enough boot for my dog so reluctantly I decided to look elsewhere.

After much research I ended up buying a 6 months old Skoda Superb estate which if it turns out to be half as satisfying as my Avensis then I'll be happy. Fortunately the omens are positive - so far!

I would have stuck with the Toyota brand but the Avensis is no longer made and estate versions of the Camry are not sold in the UK, so that left only the Prius and Corolla. Neither of these has a big enough boot for my dog so reluctantly I decided to look elsewhere.

Afaik there no longer is a Camry estate in any market? Certainly not in the USA/Canada which is the biggest market for Camry by far.

The Corolla Touring Sport actually has a larger boot in sheer volume terms than the Avensis TS albeit, as I have said before, that alone is not always the indicator of the more practical/useful loadspace.

Tbh if you were happy with your existing car (& I note that you reckoned that it needed ~£550 of work) I would have just kept it & considered taking out the Toyota Extended Warranty (I believe that the 2 years for the price of 1 offer is still on).

Afaik there no longer is a Camry estate in any market? Certainly not in the USA/Canada which is the biggest market for Camry by far.

Not in Australia either. If there was I would have bought one. Toyota don't have any estates here. The only estates on our market are Mazda 6, Subaru Outback and Levorg, and various European brands mainly VAG. As 85% of Australian new car sales are automatic I would not touch anything with a DSG transmission so that rules VAG out for me.

The perfect cheap used car - Mr D Og

Tbh if you were happy with your existing car (& I note that you reckoned that it needed ~£550 of work) I would have just kept it & considered taking out the Toyota Extended Warranty (I believe that the 2 years for the price of 1 offer is still on).

Heidfirst - Thank you for your interest in my decision to change my car (or not). There were of course a number of factors unrelated to cost that I took account of in deciding to move on. Simply, after 9 years I fancied a change and sought luxury combined with better performance.

The Avensis I traded in against the Skoda was subsequently described in the dealer's advertising as “an immaculate example” and was on offer at £10,750”. This was not far removed from what I paid for it 4 years earlier.

1yr 6mths and ownership is as uneventful as ever. Needs a couple of tyres but otherwise sitting gleaming on my driveway going nowhere. I often pass by local showrooms on my daily pandemic exercise routine and I don’t think any of the cars I see with big five figure price tags on their screens would offer more reliability or practicality. Estimated loss in a year and a half £650 if I sold it on myself and repair costs of one light bulb.

...Cost of one light bulb.???..that's disgraceful SLO...I'd report that immediately to Toyota and demand a recall.

Seriously it's why I'm such a big fan of the marque..I have bought nothing but Toyotas for several years now.. never any issues other than the usual consumable items..they simply tick all the boxes I want when it comes to car choice.

The perfect cheap used car - MGspannerman

I have just taken out a two year extended warranty on my 65 reg Avensis Estate. It will kick in next January when it is five years. It suited me to buy it now as it is only £495 for the two years (or max 30k miles), can be paid by interest free direct debit over the next year or so, and with two free MOTs. I don’t expect to use it but at the cost of less than £400, allowing for the MOTs why wouldn’t you? It also includes breakdown cover, but I get that via my bank account so haven’t costed it in. It is also transferable should I sell the car, no plans in that respect but you never know.

. It is also transferable should I sell the car, no plans in that respect but you never know.

Or refundable on a yearly pro rata basis (i.e. if you sell/trade the car with more than 1 year of warranty left they will refund you for the unused year, if you only had 11 months or less left you would get nothing).

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

Is that a Toyota extended warranty? If so it sounds good value and will be very comprehensive unlike the majority of aftermarket policies which are almost all worthless. I doubt you’ll ever claim on it though as my Avensis is 5yrs older yet looks and runs perfectly.

Yes it is. You can find details on their website. I am happy that the extended warranty offers the same protection as the original, and also that any claim will be fairly treated without wiggle and faff. If I don’t need to claim that’s fine with me, I strongly suspect you will be proved correct. I had a wheel bearing go on a Prius I owned a year outside the warranty and that was £660. The front nearside hub was damaged and had to be replaced. With that in mind, it still hurts, I am happy to take out the insurance. It’s serviced at my excellent local main dealer under a service plan anyway, so a not illogical next step.

Finally had to spend some money on the old Toyota. The new tyres the last owner fitted were cheap Chinese ditch finders and were long overdue being binned and the rear two had been on it so long they’d cracked badly. 4 new Pirelli’s at £420 fitted isn’t too bad and I’m not one for scrimping on tyres no matter the age of the vehicle. That’s it set hopefully for longterm use as our second car.
Finally had to spend some money on the old Toyota. The new tyres the last owner fitted were cheap Chinese ditch finders and were long overdue being binned and the rear two had been on it so long they’d cracked badly. 4 new Pirelli’s at £420 fitted isn’t too bad and I’m not one for scrimping on tyres no matter the age of the vehicle. That’s it set hopefully for longterm use as our second car.

£420 for a set of tyres on a standard car - ouch! I presume that the tyres weren't one of the three of four popular sizes and/or on 17-18in rims? Normally older cars that aren't sporty are shod with sensible, commonplace tyres which are significantly cheaper.

Still, I agree that spending money on good quality tyres is a wise move.

I have used Nexen tyres for a while now, I find them very good, and my Avensis estate is fitted with them all round. The last pair on the front did 33k miles and had 2mm+ when I replaced them. My local tyre shop charged £94 each last time round. Overall it is a cheap car to run. If anything mpg is improving with age. I got just over 46mpg brim to brim on a steady 200 mile round trip a few weeks ago.

Watching this post with interest as I have recently acquired a Japanese built 2003 Corolla estate as a part exchange on my Audi.

Being a grand daddy myself the soft ride on 60 profile tyres immediately became attractive but I love the seat comfort. Strange how your change.

Its a 1.6 vvt which admittedly struggles to pull a big body around and the radio is a bit naff but oh the comfort and driving position.

No cam belt to worry about and no oil consumption worries so far.

Why oh why hAve I not chosen Toyotas all my driving life opting for Honda and Audi’s and VW.

At last I’ve seen the light. And looking at what the Americans and Australians choose I’m on the right track !

Sorry that should have read Verso which Toyota only imported in small numbers for two years before being replaced by the 7 seater European version.

Remember driving one of these at Milbrook in the early 2000 and thinking this would be fine but not impressed by the Diesel engine version.

My Avensis was in for it's (covid-delayed) annual service & first MOT yesterday.

Needless to say, it sailed through with no additional work or advisories. :)

Took out new service contract for the next 2 years - it's an Arnold Clark* one so only valid at their dealers rather than any Toyota dealer but it was £369 for a major, a minor & 2 "free" MOTs which is appreciably cheaper than the official Toyota Service Plans.

* I know that AC have a bad rep with many people but I have always found their Toyota dealers very good (notably better than their Ford/Vauxhall dealerships) plus I don't have too much choice in west, central Scotland - nearest non-AC Toyota dealerships are all ~1 hr away versus 3 AC Toyota dealerships within 20 minutes of me.

Edited by Heidfirst on 08/08/2020 at 14:31

So impressed with the Corolla Verso that I would like to get another one possible with the Diesel engine.

Grateful your views

The perfect cheap used car - Avant

I remember trying a 2.0-litre diesel Verso in about 2007 and being very impressed with it. Very lively, more so I believe than the petrol version, as well as economical. Well worth a look if you can find one that's been looked after.

Oddly enough, the reason I didn't go for it was that it was too tall to go down the slope into the garage without the radio aerial hitting the top of the up-and-over garage door.

So impressed with the Corolla Verso that I would like to get another one possible with the Diesel engine.

Grateful your views

What year? & more importantly what engine? If it's a 1CD it's essentially bulletproof as long as it has been regularly serviced & the cambelt changed at mandated intervals. If it's an AD series I would look into the history of the AD series (ToyotaOwnersClub would be a good place) & particularly the head-gasket & heads.

My general advice though is to not run any modern, emission-equipped, common rail turbo-diesel out of warranty unless you are prepared for potential £1k+ bills (DMF, turbo, intercooler, DPF etc.). Especially if you aren't doing the type of mileage to warrant running a diesel. Also, watch out for towns & cities charging for running older, non-EU6 dieselswithin their limits.

There is a reason that people like SLO76 & myself are running normally aspirated petrol cars.

Edited by Heidfirst on 09/08/2020 at 15:30

“ £420 for a set of tyres on a standard car - ouch! I presume that the tyres weren't one of the three of four popular sizes and/or on 17-18in rims? Normally older cars that aren't sporty are shod with sensible, commonplace tyres which are significantly cheaper.

Still, I agree that spending money on good quality tyres is a wise move.“

I save my money in the buying and selling, I never scrimp on maintenance or tyres. These are new Pirelli’s all round and compared to an equivalent cheap tyre at £30-£40 less a corner they grip better and will no doubt last longer. They were only a few quid more than my usual Hankooks.

Many thanks Avant.

May I have your views SLO and other members and the chances of finding one that is still serviceable at this age.

Thanks Heidfest

Looking at a 2002-4 Corolla Verso as it is Japanese built. But the diesel was a 2litre cam chain engine .

Currently have a 1.6 VVti which is fine but I’m missing the grunt of a diesel and it has no air con. But is supremely comfortable.

Cheers

Currently have a 1.6 VVti which is fine but I’m missing the grunt of a diesel and it has no air con.

Big windows on those too, be like a greenhouse with no a/c!

:-(

Strangely Bad bus driver the Verso is cooler than my A4 which has also a non functioning air con system.

But hence the urgency to find a Verso with working air con

Strangely Bad bus driver the Verso is cooler than my A4 which has also a non functioning air con system.

But hence the urgency to find a Verso with working air con

Possibly the A4's superior aerodynamics hamper it here?. I remember years ago reading about an Audi, i think it might have been the first slippery 100, and a/c was considered pretty much essential as it's shape was too 'smooth' to let enough air in for the standard ventilation to work properly!.

My advice would be not to swap one old car you know for another you don’t. If your car is reliable then stick with it, if it needs the A/C fixed then it’s better to spend money on it rather than sell it. Keep it and save for a substantially newer car instead.
Almost two years since I bought it and I’ve just put the details into the valuation service on HJ which has assessed it as being worth £4250 in a private sale... £100 more than I paid for it two years ago. Now that’s cheap motoring.
Two and a half years in and I’ve just been on a wee run to hospital for an MRI (back pain) up in sunny Glasgow. Motorway speeds, little road noise, comfortable ride, no rattles and 47.9mpg average including some town driving. Big car looks and feels no different from the day I got it and I’ve people pestering me to sell it. I still say this is the best value used family car money could buy.
Except that it gives you a bad back eh?

;-)

( kidding before anyone starts ! )
Got my eye on an identical car SLO.
How do you get on with the electric parking brake?
Understand that it is operated from a lever by the steering wheel ?
Got my eye on an identical car SLO. How do you get on with the electric parking brake? Understand that it is operated from a lever by the steering wheel ?

Only thing i dislike about the car. It’s a solution to a problem which never existed. But it’s been no trouble nor has the one on a work colleagues 175,000 mile example.
Except that it gives you a bad back eh? ;-) ( kidding before anyone starts ! )

Lol Though the wife does insist it hurts her back. Sadly it means I have to leave her at home...
Every cloud eh? ;-)

Actually, I have had a couple of cars that really did give me a bad back. I do a lot of miles. Or at least I did before the apocalypse. One was a Xantia, never could get comfortable in that, and the other, oddly enough, was a Volvo 940 estate. Felt comfortable when I first sat in it, but at the end of a long day in it, I was often in kinks.

I have occasion to drive from the UK to Italy and back a couple of times a year, and from the UK to France and Germany up to 6 times a year ( or I did anyway ) and I have to say, my E Class estates that I've had in recent years, have made that more or less painless. I can get out of that after being in it for far too long, without so much as a twinge.
Ah well, old Terrance the Toyota has finally thrown his toys oot the pram. Almost three years to the day I bought him he’s developed a strange electrical fault which throws up a dashboard full of warnings. TCS, EML and parking brake fault. Two garages have checked it over and can’t find anything wrong but I suspect it’s emissions related as it came on two weeks after an aftermarket catalyst and exhaust centre section were fitted.

Toyota dealers suggestion on throwing £1,000 at a new cat and full exhaust to see if it works is not my idea of fun so off it goes. I reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and it stays off for a couple of weeks so it’s off to a local car buying service who’ve conditionally offered £3k pending viewing. Not too bad really if it gets near this as this means a very respectable depreciation cost of around £1200-£1400 for three years.

Again over-complex electronics and emissions control gubbins ruin a good used car that should have many a year left to run. Swmbo is happy though as she hates the car and really does need a small commuter for her new teaching job so I’m looking at superminis around £7500-£9000. Fiesta, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift.
Ah well, y'see, you should have got a Qashqai. Ours lasted 13 years without a single problem before we sold it earlier this year...

;-)
Joking aside SLO, how old is the battery? Sometimes a weak battery can cause spurious dash messages.
Joking aside SLO, how old is the battery? Sometimes a weak battery can cause spurious dash messages.

It’s two years old. Agree with your thinking though.
Ah well, y'see, you should have got a Qashqai. Ours lasted 13 years without a single problem before we sold it earlier this year...

;-)

Suppose there had to be one good one. :-)
Two actually. The other one we had that I used for work did 80,000 trouble free miles over two years.

Just "lucky" I guess. Twice.

;-)

Ours lasted 13 years.....

Is that all ;-)

I still say this is the best value used family car money could buy.

It has certainly been good value, but I think you might agree that our X reg Mk1 automatic Focus Estate (we didn't need one as large as the Avensis, or our previous Passat) has also been excellent value. Barring misfortune, we shall celebrate its 21st birthday in December. Admittedly, it wasn't particularly 'cheap' (£7000 plus our almost worthless Passat), but spread over nearly eighteen years of family ownership it has been a bargain. And being pre-2003, a lit EML is not an MoT failure! It also has its original cat and exhaust... (and cambelt ;-)

Edited by John F on 02/08/2021 at 12:01

The perfect cheap used car - mcintosh

It has certainly been good value, but I think you might agree that our X reg Mk1 automatic Focus Estate (we didn't need one as large as the Avensis, or our previous Passat) has also been excellent value. Barring misfortune, we shall celebrate its 21st birthday in December. Admittedly, it wasn't particularly 'cheap' (£7000 plus our almost worthless Passat), but spread over nearly eighteen years of family ownership it has been a bargain. And being pre-2003, a lit EML is not an MoT failure! It also has its original cat and exhaust... (and cambelt ;-)

Stories like this make me hope that my 7-year-old car is barely run in! Although I do worry that there is more to go wrong with modern cars so we won't see that kind of longevity again.

In any case, great to see an old car still making itself useful. 'Excellent value' is an understatement.

The perfect cheap used car - Andrew-T

... or a Pug 207SW diesel. Ours reached 13 years last April and we still have it. It's had regular basic maintenance, two sets of tyres, one of discs and pads; and a new battery last autumn.

It's had a knock or two needing modest repairs, and a faulty rear-door lock. Otherwise fault-free after 81K miles. Just averaged 67mpg on a recent 300-mile round trip - no complaints.

But you've heard all this before .... :-)

The perfect cheap used car - mcintosh
Ah well, old Terrance the Toyota has finally thrown his toys oot the pram.

Pity to see him go but clearly the sensible thing to do. Please keep us posted about your hunt for a replacement; your car-buying exploits are always fun to read.

Ah well, old Terrance the Toyota has finally thrown his toys oot the pram. Almost three years to the day I bought him he’s developed a strange electrical fault which throws up a dashboard full of warnings. TCS, EML and parking brake fault. Two garages have checked it over and can’t find anything wrong but I suspect it’s emissions related as it came on two weeks after an aftermarket catalyst and exhaust centre section were fitted.

Strange it needed a replacement catalyst. They normally last well.

“ Strange it needed a replacement catalyst. They normally last well.”

It’s was rusted through. Salty Scottish coast roads brought about an early demise. I’ve had bother in the past with aftermarket cats causing issues. I strongly suspect the same problem here.
The perfect cheap used car - elekie&a/c doctor
Buy yourself a lambda sensor spacer for the downstream sensor . For £10 , this could fix it .
Buy yourself a lambda sensor spacer for the downstream sensor . For £10 , this could fix it .

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.
The perfect cheap used car - Falkirk Bairn

>>It’s was rusted through

Similar fate to my 2001 Honda - got as far as 2007 with minor replacments bits - Cat went & light on on dashboard. New Cat (non Honda) - It would be OK for a few days and the light would come on.

Parts needed were a Honda Cat and dodgy sensor - it might have fixed it but a £900 gamble. Got £2300 for a T/I for an Xtrail

The perfect cheap used car - sajid

Got myself a toyota yaris 1.4 15 plate diesel after my civic was written

Off a 59 plate ex civic which i had for 7 years kept in immaculate condition

The yaris zero road tax, fuel economy 60+ just had its filters changed,

Air, pollen, fuel, all make a difference to driving.

The filters were never replaced as got the car from evans halshaw

Suspect just a basic oil filter change was done.

Result car drives like new.. next job, change transmission oil clutch fluid . Car done 70k

The perfect cheap used car - JonestHon

I have the same car of similar age (130k at the moment), however being in the South west she hardly see any salt. It helps that our off-street parking is at 40 degrees incline so most any liquids on the under carriage don't accumulate on the surface.

I had a look underneath a couple of weeks ago and the undercarriage plus exhaust is super clean and bone dry.

Is there any car out there that will not rust in such harsh wet and salty roads?

Can't see you going in an A8 or Jag XE.

Edited by JonestHon on 02/08/2021 at 20:25

The perfect cheap used car - johncyprus

Always enjoy your posts

Would you still recommend a 10 year old Toyota Avensis?

Always enjoy your posts

Would you still recommend a 10 year old Toyota Avensis?

Yes. It was faultless for 11yrs from what the previous owner told me and my own experience was very positive. I know the fault here is emissions related and from investigations of my own I believe there’s a small blow from the exhaust forward of the cat. I think I’ll throw a wee bit of money at it to see if it can be saved without unrealistic outlay.

It helps that our off-street parking is at 40 degrees incline so most any liquids on the under carriage don't accumulate on the surface.

40 degrees !! That's not far off 1 in 1, and certainly steeper than any road I have heard of. I can't think of many vehicles that could climb it either :-)

Meant 1 in 40 ;)

The perfect cheap used car - Big John
Ah well, old Terrance the Toyota has finally thrown his toys oot the pram. Almost three years to the day I bought him he’s developed a strange electrical fault which throws up a dashboard full of warnings. TCS, EML and parking brake fault.

Are you sure this isn't a battery issue? - any faults logged such as low voltage?

Or anything disturbed when the catalyst change - eg earth strap?

Edited by Big John on 02/08/2021 at 23:26

“ Are you sure this isn't a battery issue? - any faults logged such as low voltage?

Or anything disturbed when the catalyst change - eg earth strap?”

Will investigate further. I don’t like binning a perfectly good car. Only the decent offer of £3k as it sits has me tempted to offload.

I too suspect that this is probably a simple fix - if you can nail it down.

I don't know what diagnostics the garages that couldn't find anything used but Toyota's own is available for free download with cheap daily licencing & is more likely to pick up manufacturer specific items than some of the more generic systems.

www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/GTS

I’m going to let the local Toyota dealer have a pop at it. I’m confident it’s an emissions issue, I can now clearly hear a blow from up front. The tyre and exhaust centre must’ve damaged something when fitting it. Weird that it throws up a load of different warnings though. TCS, Parking brake and emissions. From what I’ve read it’s not uncommon but I’m not throwing parts at it.
The perfect cheap used car - Rerepo

On the T27 Avensis the TCS and Parking Brake warnings invariable appear with an engine management warning. If there is an exhaust blow upstream of a lambda sensor that will trigger and emissions warning for sure.

On the T27 Avensis the TCS and Parking Brake warnings invariable appear with an engine management warning. If there is an exhaust blow upstream of a lambda sensor that will trigger and emissions warning for sure.

Yup, 99% sure it’s exactly that.

Yup, 99% sure it’s exactly that.

How did you go with this? Is it fixed and if so what did it turn out to be?

“ How did you go with this? Is it fixed and if so what did it turn out to be?”

Exhaust blow is more obvious now but car is otherwise driving fine. It’s booked in with another garage nearby to try and locate it. I’m pretty confident it’s a minor issue and the multiple codes are down to emissions.
“ How did you go with this? Is it fixed and if so what did it turn out to be?”

Good old fashioned Italian tuneup seems to solved it. Swmbo has used it for a few days while her own car was waiting on repair. All lights are out which can only be down to her exuberant driving style.
Alas, the dash is once again illuminated by multiple warnings. Took it to Toyota today for their diagnosis and yes right enough it’s emissions related. They suggest a new Toyota cat and exhaust at a paltry £1250 as apparently “Toyota’s don’t like aftermarket cats.”

This sadly is an unrealistic amount of money to fork out for an exhaust on an 11yr old car. I will however be looking into whether it can be remapped to sort this. There’s loads of cars running around with aftermarket exhausts performance or mundane so there has to be a way to bypass this and there’s a performance exhaust centre nearby who does remapping too. Otherwise it’ll be EML reset and flogged to WBAC or similar.

They usually stay off for around a week after resetting but I’m loathed to give up what is a near perfect old car. Another environmentally damaging premature binning of a car that should last for another decade yet, made all the more annoying because it will almost certainly pass an Mot if I can keep those lights off for a test.
The perfect cheap used car - Moodyman

That's a shame on an 11 year old Toyota. That's no age.

I drive a 1992 Corolla, launched 1 year before Cats became mandatory in Europe, and am thankful for its simplicity. No Cat, no DPF, no ABS and other gizmos. Just old school mechanicals and all the better for it.

A friend's 15 year old petrol VAG needed a new cat last year. The backstreet garage offered to replace cat at circa £400 or removal of it completely for £50. He opted for the latter but has the EML light constantly as electronics say the emissions are high. Car still drives fine, in fact, is probably more efficient minus the cat. He has a 'friendly' MOT tester to deal with the emissions during the annual test.

Whilst not legally acceptable, I can see why people do this sort of thing as perfectly usable cars can be rendered useless with certain add ons.

Edited by Moodyman on 10/09/2021 at 21:51

Potential solution. I’m just going to buy a cheap code reader and reset the lights every week or two when they come on. Car is too good to give away for peanuts and it does very few miles these days. Poor show from Toyota regarding parts prices for older cars. Not many people will pay almost £1300 for a part of the exhaust system. I’ll just regard it as some added cabin illumination for the cold Scottish winter ahead.
The perfect cheap used car - elekie&a/c doctor
If it’s flagging up a catalyst efficiency code , then you may be able to fool the system by fitting a downstream lambda sensor spacer . Cost about £10 on e-bay . ( did mention this earlier in August) .
If it’s flagging up a catalyst efficiency code , then you may be able to fool the system by fitting a downstream lambda sensor spacer . Cost about £10 on e-bay . ( did mention this earlier in August) .

Apologies, so you did. Will try that.
Weird that it throws up a load of different warnings though. TCS, Parking brake and emissions.

There are so many interconnected systems/sensors that a fault/out of tolerance on one can cascade to another & bring up a warning light .that is apparently unconnected to the real problem (which is why getting it properly code read is important).

The perfect cheap used car - RT
Weird that it throws up a load of different warnings though. TCS, Parking brake and emissions.

There are so many interconnected systems/sensors that a fault/out of tolerance on one can cascade to another & bring up a warning light .that is apparently unconnected to the real problem (which is why getting it properly code read is important).

On modern cars, a low or failing battery can cause many system malfunction lights to appear - for my VW Touareg, the standard owners' forum advice for lighting up like an Xmas tree is to check/replace the battery and reset all the warnings.

The perfect cheap used car - chesterfieldhouse

“Toyota’s don’t like aftermarket cats.”

l had a cat stolen last week on a Toyota RAV-4.

Though older than your Avensis at 2005, the local independent specialist replaced it with an aftermarket one, for just over £300 fitted. No problems so far.

Main dealers are on another planet.

Edited by chesterfieldhouse on 11/09/2021 at 11:59

The perfect cheap used car - Chris M

Well there's two potential solutions for you SLO.

Either take elekie's usually sound advice, although I appreciate parting with c£10 may cause pain, or park it outside chesterfieldhouse's house one night and let your insurers cover it for you.

Well, fingers crossed old Terrance the Toyota is back on form. Turns out the mystery fault was a faulty or badly fitted aftermarket catalyst. Three garages including the main dealer looked at it and couldn’t properly diagnose it despite the obvious blow, but the fourth visit to the tyre and exhaust fitter who did the initial job seems to have it sorted. Fresh Mot today, passed with no advisories despite the Toyota dealer apparently finding over £700 worth of “urgent work” needing done on top of the required £1250 Toyota cat. Lights are off for now and no exhaust blow so hopefully back to cheap hassle free motoring and a wee reminder of how dishonest some main dealers are, particularly large nationwide chains beginning with an A.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/09/2021 at 16:30

The perfect cheap used car - Xileno

That's good news. Hopefully many more years and miles of cheap motoring are ahead.

The perfect cheap used car - Sprice

Hopefully it's sorted. Always liked the Avensis, particularly the first gen (98-03 ish) saloon version and also the Carina E before it, also thought it too was a smart car in saloon form.

In 2013 I hired a 13 plate Avensis D4-D, really liked it (I just think I'm a Japanese car fanboy TBH lol), even the EPB and it occurred at the time it would make a cracking used buy in a few years.

Glad to hear the news SLO.
Looking at the receipt for the replacement cat and exhaust fitted by a motorist centre to my Verso , they fitted a genuine Toyota Sensor iwhich cost £150 plus Vat four years ago.
Maybe they were aware of problems with some aftermarket sensors ?
Four months later and no warning lights have returned, Terrance the Toyota has been faultless since.

Our identical 2010 Avensis just developed her first issue (ever).

Strange muffled nocks from the front passenger side, she is going on Monday to the local mechanic to have a look at her upper ball joint, and other suspension components. After 140k on our local crappy roads I expect some expenses.

mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-people-the-400000-mile-ave.../

Old Terrance the Toyota is just back from a 320mile run from Ayrshire to Newcastle. No faults, no rattles and a very reasonable 43.7mpg recorded. It feels no different from the day I picked it up three and a half years ago.

SLO76, did you see that AC are losing their Toyota franchises in West of Scotland? Being picked up by Macklin/Vertu which I am not sure is an improvement ...

Good to hear that Terrance is still doing so well, SLO...with just a little care it will go on forever I reckon.

They have such a great reputation for reliable longevity.

Good to hear that Terrance is still doing so well, SLO...with just a little care it will go on forever I reckon.

They have such a great reputation for reliable longevity.

Thanks. There are several Mk I’s running around locally in good condition despite being a decade or so older than mine so I’ve every confidence.

SLO76, did you see that AC are losing their Toyota franchises in West of Scotland? Being picked up by Macklin/Vertu which I am not sure is an improvement ...

Won’t be sorry to see them go but I don’t hold much hope with the same staff and attitudes no doubt staying in place.

whilst Vertu/Macklin are picking up the franchises they don't appear to be gaining/keeping the buildings & therefore probably staff. 1st one apparently is slated for Darnley (Macklin have 2 dealerships there already - Ford & Nissan).

The perfect cheap used car - Falkirk Bairn

Toys and prams come to mind

It must have been a serious falling out between Toyota and AC - AC have been Toyota dealers covering much of the West of Scotland & Aberdeen for probably getting on for 45/50 years.

Of course there is "falling out history" the Lexus outlets that AC ran - Glasgow & Aberdeen - they parted maybe10-15 years ago leaving Eastern Western with Glasgow & Edinburgh Lexus and nothing in the North.

www.am-online.com/news/dealer-news/2022/02/24/excl...a

AC rebranded their Ford dealerships on 1st July. Rumour is that TrustFord (owned by Ford) will be moving into retail in Scotland by taking over the former AC Ford in Aberdeen..

Edited by Heidfirst on 11/07/2022 at 11:35

First long run in a while. A wee trip up to the Falkirk Wheel then a cycle from there to Edinburgh along the Union canal. A nice wee day all in and a good feed at a canal side converted farm that produced the best burger and fries I’ve ever had, which were much appreciated after 62 miles in the saddle. Old Terrance the Toyota drove without fault, did 46.8mpg according to the (fairly accurate) trip computer and the air con was thankfully ice cold.
The perfect cheap used car - Sparrow

Very imptessed. We stopped at Falkirk in our VW camper on our way back down south after 3 weeks in the Outer Hebrides in May. They have put a lot of work into regenerating the canal system there. We cycled too, but only from our canalside campsite 5 miles west of the Wheel to the Kelpies and back. If it wasn't such a long way from home (Hampshire) I'd go back and explore further. We didn't find your excellent eatery and had sarnies at the Kelpies.

Edited by Sparrow on 14/07/2022 at 19:54

Four and a half years later and now about to turn 100,000 miles young, this old wagon is still running perfectly. Needed a drop link recently which cost buttons and a service. Paid £4150 and today i’d easily get £3,000 flogging it myself. Other than a mishap when a fat fingered mechanic made a mess of fitting a new cat and exhaust it’s never went wrong. Motoring doesn’t get much cheaper.

You've certainly done well there. Maybe one to keep until it drops.

Update. Old Terrance the Toyota needed a bit of money spent to get through his Mot. Two new lower front suspension arms and rear brake pipes - which were a nightmare to do. First Mot it’s failed, but now has an advisory free pass, which is not bad for a 13yr old car with 106,000 miles up. Still looks and drives as it did 5yrs ago and the air con is still ice cold. The space in the boot and the rear seat is huge, it still averages over 40mpg on my commute and I’ve not even had to replace a single light bulb to date. I maintain that the Avensis is one of the best used family cars you can buy, even if it’s a bit dull to drive. The Japanese really do build good cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/10/2023 at 11:35

Update. Old Terrance the Toyota needed a bit of money spent to get through his Mot. Two new lower front suspension arms and rear brake pipes - which were a nightmare to do.

They usually are because they are one piece and routed around other components like exhaust, suspension, fuel tank. My old BMW 3 series needed the fuel tank removing to replace them. Labour was crazy price, new copper pipes a few pounds.

After that experience I am paranoid about rustproofing them. The rear pipes seem to be more prone due to their position. The front pipes tend to be sited next to the wheel rather than adjacent to them so they don't get all the road crud thrown at them.

Yes, had I been thinking longterm when I bought it I would’ve had the full car undersealed. That said, the rest of it is solid according to the tester so hopefully that’s the last big bill for a while.
The perfect cheap used car - Metropolis.

I always enjoy seeing these updates.

If Terence ever moves on do you think you would consider one of the recent UK spec Camry's?

I always enjoy seeing these updates.

If Terence ever moves on do you think you would consider one of the recent UK spec Camry's?

I like the Camry, shame they priced it too high and it didn’t sell over here. It has now been withdrawn. An estate version (if one existed) would probably be my ideal motor. A Corolla Hybrid will have to suffice if I ever do move on.

And if you want your perfect cheap used car to be fun to drive buy a Mk2 Focus 1.6/1.8 petrol. Those not minding the certainty of rust, albeit with a car on the cusp of rising in value, should go for the Mk1 version.

Having only contributed twice to this amusing and lengthy thread, I thought I would add a further tuppence...

The criteria for TPCUC are as follows - never lets you down, fun to drive, easy and cheap to (self) service, selling price at least as much as buying price, no problem with spare parts no matter how old, cheap to run when over 40yrs old (no need for MoT or VED, cheap sub-£100 insurance). So, regulars will know that the make of my PCUC is mentioned in the link in my first post here 28 Apr 2019. Mine cost £4250 in 1981 - admittedly not 'cheap' then, but I took a long term view.

£4250 in 1981 is £15,656.15 in todays money. I was just curious.
The perfect cheap used car - De Sisti
£4250 in 1981 is £15,656.15 in todays money. I was just curious.

I put the figures above into a ChatGpt AI and received the following:

(although I could probably have worked it out myself if I would have put my O-Level maths cap on).

To calculate the inflation rate, you can use the formula:

Inflation Rate = (Current Value - Initial Value) / Initial Value * 100

In this case, the initial value is £4250 in 1981, and the current value is £15,656. Plugging these values into the formula:

Inflation Rate = (£15,656 - £4250) / £4250 * 100

Inflation Rate = (£11,406) / £4250 * 100

Inflation Rate ≈ 268.47%

So, the inflation rate from 1981 to today, assuming £4250 in 1981 is equivalent to £15,656 today, is approximately 268.47%. This means that prices have increased by about 268.47% over this time period.

So over my 42yrs of ownership, assuming I would get 4250 of today's debased pounds if I sold it today, that's a true depreciation of £270 per annum in today's money; just over £20 pcm to the nearest tenner. Buy the best and make it last!

"Buy the best and make it last!"

Being a bit of a fan of Bangers and Cash, I'd say (with hindsight*) you should have bought Ford. Capri or something with RS or XR in the name would have seen you at least double your money even taking inflation into account.

*A TR7 was never destined to be a classic.

Being a bit of a fan of Bangers and Cash ......

I'm not. Tyrells Classic Workshop and Harry's Garage for me, please.

..., I'd say (with hindsight*) you should have bought Ford. Capri or something with RS or XR in the name would have seen you at least double your money even taking inflation into account.

I wanted a VFM practical comfortable reliable durable convertible for a workhorse, not a hotted-up hard top.

*A TR7 was never destined to be a classic.

No car is 'destined' to become a 'classic', but idiosynchratic styling and rarity helps. With hindsight I'd have bought a Ferrari Dino on tick.

I've never understood why ancient souped up small Fords appeal nowadays (although I once had one back in the early 70s - a hooligan Ford Anglia 105E with a Cortina GT 1600 'stage 2' tuned engine and Lotus g/box). Heigh ho, happy daze....

No car is 'destined' to become a 'classic', but idiosynchratic styling and rarity helps. With hindsight I'd have bought a Ferrari Dino on tick.

Some definitely are nailed on future classics at launch e.g. MX-5, 205GTI, Audi TT to name a few.

So over my 42yrs of ownership, assuming I would get 4250 of today's debased pounds if I sold it today, that's a true depreciation of £270 per annum in today's money; just over £20 pcm to the nearest tenner. Buy the best and make it last!

Ouch!

Skywing was 15000NT, about 380 quid at current rate.

(Was quite a lot less at the time, about 270 I think, but Brexit and general ongoing UK meltdown has intervened)

I got 4000 sc*** payout, which I put in my pocket and promptly lost, being a bit distraught and p***ed off at the time. There were some fines, but I think they can be disregarded from a depreciation viepoint.

By most accounts that sc*** payout should have been a bit more, but I wasnt in a mood or position to haggle over it.

Earliest post on it I could find was 13 years old, at which point I'd had it maybe a couple of years. Call it a year.

So 11000NT over 14 years, or about 20 quid a year. Bit worse than I thought.

Running costs very low. OTOH if I'd increased them by paying for off-road parking, if available (withdrawn by my landlord a few years ago) I could have saved it from The Man.

UPDATE: Apparently there's a further 1000NT sc***page payment from the govmint due into my PO account

So that would reduce depreciation to about 18 quid a year.

Do I win?

Edited by edlithgow on 01/11/2023 at 00:35

I put the figures above into a ChatGpt AI and received the following:

Zero for your assignment, and a stern warning not to do it again. I would hope.

Well after nearly 6yrs and nearly 40,000 miles old Terrance the Toyota is surplus to requirements. He’s in very good condition, drives very well, has no warning lights on, everything works even the a/c is still cold. It has an advisory free Mot until 1/10/24 and a full service record, though it’s due a service now and has a slight exhaust blow from the back box, which I’m about to fix.

Over my ownership the only non wear and tear item I’ve had to replace was a noisy alternator, which wasn’t expensive. I’ve never replaced a bulb or a key fob battery. It’s never let us down and ran perfectly on a recent run down to sunny Blackpool, after a last minute change of plan in place of taking Leo the (milk float) Leaf.

So what to ask? Prices are weird with older cars which are ULEZ compliant at the moment. I’ve every confidence in it but as with any 14yr old car it’s not possible to guarantee how long it’ll keep on running reliably. The only real negative is that it only has one key after I lost the spare down in Minehead a couple of years ago.

A few friends have suggested keeping it and using it for another banger rally, but it’s too good to ruin. Though I’d have every confidence in taking it round Europe.

So what to ask?

You might get more than you think - I've just helped a friend find a car at the cheaper end of the market and basically what used to be a £1k car seems to be £3k now!

I was thinking of putting it on at £2495.

Just so those of us who haven't kept up with all of the details of your Toyota, give us the details of the motor.

Careful there mate - even with my not-so-good financial situation, I might make you an offer on that motor at that price! Admittedly rather a long way to travel to pick it up for me.

For comparison, the local Ford dealership is 'offering' a 2012 KIA Rio 2 (1.25 petrol) with roughly 50,000 miles on the clock for £5.5k - not far off 50% the original list price for a 12yo slow car!

Strange, given this was the same dealership that offered (and quickly sold) a 2017 Mazda3 2L petrol SE-L fastback (saloon) for £8.5k about six months ago, which I thought was a bargain in today's market.

Is you car rust-free on the bodywork?

Edited by Engineer Andy on 22/04/2024 at 19:17

“ Is you car rust-free on the bodywork?”

It’s rust free on the body. It’s typical elderly Japanese car though underneath. The actual body is solid but the rear suspension is covered in surface rust. It’s on Gumtree at £2495. For some weird reason I can’t share Gumtree adverts.

Edited by Chris M on 22/04/2024 at 22:31

Easy £5500 for that, put it on at 6k. You can only go down!!

Blimey, I wish. Nah the going rate for similar cars up here seems to be £2,500-£3,000 and mine has only one key (lost the other down in Minehead a few years ago) and a very slight blow from the exhaust back box which will need a small patch/weld come the next Mot. It’s otherwise faultless. I’d repair the exhaust but my garage is mobbed and there’s a three week wait. I’ll do it if it doesn’t sell as it is though. As per the norm when selling a cheap Toyota estate on Gumtree I’m inundated by i****s so far. Two sensible sounding viewings pencilled in over the next few days and over 150 ad views after only a few hours online so it’ll likely be away quickly.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/04/2024 at 21:43

I expect that made the front page of the local newspaper in Minehead? Went there once, but I think it must have been closed.
;-)
Was quite a sleepy place.

Blimey, I wish. Nah the going rate for similar cars up here seems to be £2,500-£3,000 and mine has only one key (lost the other down in Minehead a few years ago) and a very slight blow from the exhaust back box which will need a small patch/weld come the next Mot. It’s otherwise faultless. I’d repair the exhaust but my garage is mobbed and there’s a three week wait. I’ll do it if it doesn’t sell as it is though. As per the norm when selling a cheap Toyota estate on Gumtree I’m inundated by i****s so far. Two sensible sounding viewings pencilled in over the next few days and over 150 ad views after only a few hours online so it’ll likely be away quickly.

Is this your car? www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-avensis-1.8-vvti-e...0

Looks nice. I like it.

Nope, mine isn’t a cat D.
The perfect cheap used car - FiestaOwner

Must be this one. Very well presented. I'm sure it'll sell very quickly.

www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-avensis-1.8-valvem...4

We have a winner! Pics were a bit of a rush job, I’ll take better ones when I get the chance. Surprised it’s not away. It did have a fair amount on the last Mot which may be deterring buyers, but it was all done. Crusty front suspension arms and rear brake pipes. Costly but didn’t upset me as they’d seen 14 hard Ayrshire winters. It was really the only Mot that cost me anything of note. It then passed with no advisories.
The perfect cheap used car - FiestaOwner
We have a winner! Pics were a bit of a rush job, I’ll take better ones when I get the chance. Surprised it’s not away. It did have a fair amount on the last Mot which may be deterring buyers, but it was all done. Crusty front suspension arms and rear brake pipes. Costly but didn’t upset me as they’d seen 14 hard Ayrshire winters. It was really the only Mot that cost me anything of note. It then passed with no advisories.

The Nissan Leaf parked next to it was a bit of a giveaway!

I find Gumtree a bit of a hit-and-miss. Some things go instantly for the asking price, to very pleasant people. Other items, people just want to know the lowest price you'll accept and try to knock the price down further, as they'll have to travel!.

To be perfectly honest, the repairs you listed are all things I'd expect to see on a car of this age.

I’ve traditionally done very well on Gumtree with cheap cars. Facebook marketplace is a waste of time however. Only i****s offering a quarter of your asking price and scam artists hunting for phone numbers lurk there.

Assuming no extensive undercarriage rot it looks as though someone'll get a bargain. I presume it could mechanically easily match the mileage of our similar last century Passat estate 2.0GL (at least another 110,000). Interesting photos with the lights on, is this a known sales trick? Things always look better in twilight!

PS Now that SLO76 & Ptnr are presumably sorted for the foreseeable future, isn't it time to close this long old thread - perhaps have a volume 2 like the EV threads?

I would suggest keeping this thread going rather than a volume 2, the car hasn’t sold yet.
Whoops, thought it had 70k miles on it rather than 110k ! Price makes more sense although I still think you could go higher. This is a Toyota after all. Apply the Toyota tax.

It looks very tidy. Good buy for someone, plenty of life left in it yet.

I've sold quite a few things on Marketplace - occasionally someone will pay the full asking price which then makes me wish I had asked a bit more. But then others beat you down from a tenner, even though that was a very good price in itself!

Edited by Xileno on 23/04/2024 at 21:37

It looks very tidy. Good buy for someone, plenty of life left in it yet.

I've sold quite a few things on Marketplace - occasionally someone will pay the full asking price which then makes me wish I had asked a bit more. But then others beat you down from a tenner, even though that was a very good price in itself!

If my 22 year-old BMW 320d Touring wasn't as reliable as it is, I'd make you an offer on the Toyota.

Edited by De Sisti on 24/04/2024 at 08:26

And Terrance the Toyota is sold, to the first person to view. Made £2,100 as I took off £400 for slight blow in the back box and the fact that there was only one key - after I lost the other on holiday.

So car cost £4150 back in September 2018 and made £2100 April 2024. It was a reliable, practical and surprisingly economical family workhorse and thanks to minimal depreciation (just over £400 a year) it was very cheap to own.

It might not have been the most exciting or best looking of cars but as an actual vehicle, as family transport it was the best car I’ve owned. Hopefully it’ll continue to serve its new owner well.
and thanks to minimal depreciation (just over £400 a year) it was very cheap to own.

£400 / year is impressive stuff. I've always tried to achieve less than £100/month £1200 / year capital during my long commute high mileage years / decades buying cheaper nearly new/end of model. Current 2014 Superb bought for £10.8k in 2015 i've had it 9 years now so have achieved that - just. Hopefully it still has quite a few years left as my mileage has dropped now retired but I'll never achieve £400 / year.

Next who knows - the days of buying a nearly new good sized car (I'm big!) for just over £10k are over!!

It was a reliable, practical and surprisingly economical family workhorse and thanks to minimal depreciation (just over £400 a year) it was very cheap to own. It might not have been the most exciting or best looking of cars but as an actual vehicle, as family transport it was the best car I’ve owned.

Going by what I paid as a pre-reg (with 27 miles on it) & current WBAC etc. quotes for it my own 2017 1.8 Avensis TS is running at about the same depreciation , ~£400 p.a. . Of course, you have to replace in the new, inflated market. :(

I keep going around in circles in my head about what to do re my car.
It’s an 8 year old, 210,000 mile E class estate that I’ve had from new. I retired before Christmas last year and I’m now in the fortunate position of being able to afford more or less any car I could want.
However, my current one still works really well for me and what I use it for. So far it hasn’t given me any grief and I still like it a lot.
It’s high mileage, accrued during my working life, means it is no longer of any significant value, except perhaps to me as I know it has been properly maintained and hasn’t been abused.
I keep thinking I should probably change it, but then I falter and ask myself why.
If it develops some terminal ailment in the future I can just sc*** it and start again, or if it just needs a few quid thrown at it to keep it running, I could do that too.
Kind of the only reason to get a new car right now would be a want rather than need decision and I’m not sure I want anything else enough to bother!
Part of me is just curious to see how far in miles or years it’ll keep going. We have other cars, and like I said, I’m retired now so even if it packed in it wouldn’t be a major concern.
No doubt I’ll change my mind again next week. You know how it is!

"I keep thinking I should probably change it, but then I falter and ask myself why."

That scenario isn't a concern for SLO as he has Mrs SLO to make the decision for him :)

In case I missed it, what's the new car been named SLO? Merv the Merc.?

"I keep thinking I should probably change it, but then I falter and ask myself why."

That scenario isn't a concern for SLO as he has Mrs SLO to make the decision for him :)

Truth! She has named him “Maverick” the Merc.

Truth! She has named him “Maverick” the Merc.

Hopefully she won't be doing an 'cobra' manoeuvres in it using the handbrake! ;-)

Alby, if that old Merc still runs reliably then keep it. It was only imminent new baby and a tiny bit of pressure from SWMBO that forced my hand. If I was on my own I would’ve kept my old Toyota for many years to come. There’s a great deal of freedom in running a car that’s of little value. It’s something I’ve done for many years and it’s where my best luck has come regarding cars. More complex and costly newer cars tend to bite me at some point.
That’s pretty much where I keep ending up Slo. It’s just too useful to not keep. Since retiring, we are spending a lot of time finding and visiting new places to mess about on our mountain bikes. More or less every other day we chuck the bikes on the roof and the ancillary kit in the car along with a picnic lunch and head for the hills or a forest.
Lunch on those days is usually taken sitting on the “back step” of the car in some remote location with the tailgate open after a long morning on the bikes.
Don’t mind getting a bit of mud on or in the old car. It’ll be taking us to the Alps for similar nonsense shortly.

Edited by Alby Back on 25/04/2024 at 16:46

I keep going around in circles in my head about what to do re my car. It’s an 8 year old, 210,000 mile E class estate that I’ve had from new. I retired before Christmas last year and I’m now in the fortunate position of being able to afford more or less any car I could want. However, my current one still works really well for me and what I use it for. So far it hasn’t given me any grief and I still like it a lot.

No brainer. Keep it, unless you see a classic you really want! I guess over 25k miles a year were mainly easy M-way miles with very little strain on the mechanicals. I'd be interested to know how much oil it uses per 10k miles, always a good guide to the health of the engine.

I keep thinking I should probably change it.....

'should'? Who says? Now you've retired it'll hardly be piling on the miles.

I was in a similar position 10yrs ago when I bought my 'forever car' just before retirement (a 2005 Audi A8 with 49,000 miles) for £12k. I intend keeping it indefinitely - might even soon get to £400 p.a. depreciation!

Doesn’t use any oil between services John. Still starts stops and steers as it always did. No rattles or squeaks and never had so much as an advisory at MOT time.
Can’t fault it so far!
Doesn’t use any oil between services John. Still starts stops and steers as it always did. No rattles or squeaks and never had so much as an advisory at MOT time. Can’t fault it so far!

Absolutely no reason to change at all then - unless you are embarrassed by the date on the numberplate ....

That is not something that gives me the slightest concern.
Absolutely no reason to change at all then - unless you are embarrassed by the date on the numberplate ....

Beyond 4yrs old, no-one except petrolheads and mathematicians know what year a car is from the plethora of 0 and 1 or 5 and 6 followed by any number from 1-9 without resorting to a reference table.

www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/dvla-guide/year-of-issue...m

But 'personal plates' are a great idea (£2 billion for HMG!) and provide much amusement.

www.gov.uk/government/news/30-years-on-6-million-p...s.

Edited by John F on 26/04/2024 at 11:12

Doesn’t use any oil between services John.

AB, you should know that is scientifically impossible! No need to add oil for 10k miles is indeed a good sign of engine health (or cack-handed overfilling at service time) but beware fuel dilution, especially in old diesels (is it a diesel?). If fuel dilution matches oil consumption, bearing and cylinder lubrication will soon be compromised after a few thousand miles.

Oh well, so far so good! But thanks!
;-)