Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - badbusdriver

About an hour ago on my way home, i was overtaken by a car in an extrremely dangerous manoeuvre. It was on a section of road with dual solid white lines (which, if i'm not mistaken means no overtaking unless the vehicle is doing less than 30mph, such as a tractor), due to the way the road swung gently to the left, there was no clear sight lines. And there was oncoming traffic, which had to brake to avoid a collision. I was absolutely gobsmacked at the stupidity and recklessness of the driver and it really p****d me off!.

Since i got home, thinking about it, since i now have have a dashcam, maybe i should send the footage to the Police. What are the opinion of forum members on this?. There have been plenty of times since i got the dashcam i have wondered about this, as i see plenty of horrendous driving!

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - Bromptonaut

Send it.

You must not cross a solid white line except to access adjoining premises or a side road. A relatively recent addition also allows crossing of the line when safe so as to pass a stationary vehicle or a slow moving pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle. Slow means moving at 10mph or less.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - gordonbennet

Your choice but in all truth if i could be bothered i would be sending a video every day and sometimes thrice daily.

The roads are chock full of half wits in vehicles of every description, including suicidal pedestrians and cyclists.

If we take on more duties the police fulfilled in better times, even more of them will be parked behind computer screens checking what we think and say instead of out on the beat in pairs making the place safe for decent people, which is what the police were invented for, to prevent crime.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - drd63

Agree with GB and at what point do we all equip ourselves with dash cams and start spying on each other? Fine to use the evidence when there has been an accident but not like this please.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - BMW Enthusiast

By all means certainly pass it on to the Police and hopefully they do something about it but don't post the footage on social media. That spoils the good and useful reason for having a dash cam.

The good and useful reason for a dashcam is as evidence in an accident, not to deluge the police with "evidence" of what you perceive to be an offence. At what point do you feel it appropriate to go around gathering evidence to submit to the state. Without being melodramatic this sort of behaviour when data and information is so easy to gather just helps lead to a police state.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - Theophilus

this sort of behaviour when data and information is so easy to gather just helps lead to a police state.

Surely not a "police state" .... the situation arises because of an absence of police enforcement of road discipline. However it is rather reminiscent of the excesses of the French revolution when citizens would denounce friends and enemies alike.

Edited by Theophilus on 08/09/2018 at 19:47

Exactly

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - bathtub tom

I suggest you contact the relevant police authority first to see if they accept dashcam recordings of dodgy driving, otherwise you may just be wasting your time.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - BMW Enthusiast

The good and useful reason for a dashcam is as evidence in an accident, not to deluge the police with "evidence" of what you perceive to be an offence. At what point do you feel it appropriate to go around gathering evidence to submit to the state. Without being melodramatic this sort of behaviour when data and information is so easy to gather just helps lead to a police state.

Not a fan of the Police then? Here in NI the Police are now appealing for dashcam footage from any motorists who were driving in the vicinity at the time of an incident taking place. Not just traffic related incidents. It may sound as if they want the public to do their job for them but the Police simply can't manage without witnesses. The camera never lies.

Why would you think this is anti police? I just feel that snooping on behalf of the police isn’t conducive to a civilised, modern and liberal society, which in the main is what we enjoy in the UK. When the public are encouraged to seek out and report wrongdoing something isn’t right.
Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - madf
Why would you think this is anti police? I just feel that snooping on behalf of the police isn’t conducive to a civilised, modern and liberal society, which in the main is what we enjoy in the UK. When the public are encouraged to seek out and report wrongdoing something isn’t right.

SO you would condone wrongdoing which you encounter? (which is what your post says).

And a liberal modern society with rising crime and murder rates does not stay liberal if the police are incapable of catching offenders,, which they are.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - badbusdriver

Some interesting and slightly baffling opinions!.

GB, i quite understand your point of view, after all you do spend all day on the road, so probably see much more examples of dangerous/illegal/irresponsible driving than most.

drd63, you must have read something in my post that was not actually there as i have no intention whatsoever in starting to drive around looking for people, or snooping on them like some sort of big brother on the road. You seem to have a rather curious attitude towards dangerous driving and how any witnesses should deal with it, i.e, nothing to do with me, not my problem. Supposing the oncoming car in the case i described was being driven by you, or a family member, would you still be of the opinion that it isn't your place to do anything?, or would you be glad of someone having video footage of the incident to pass on to the Police. After all, the next time the reckless driver tries the same thing, it might end up a fatal accident. If however, i passed the footage on to the Police and the driver in question were to recieve a fine, or points, or whatever, it may make them think twice about trying a manoeuvre such as that again. Which in turn may save a life or lives.

The Police are hopelessly underfunded and understaffed, so we can't realistically expect them to be everywhere we need them to be whenever we need them. In my mind, the only potential problem would be deciding what incident or incidents are actually dangerous and should be brought to the attention of the Police, as opposed to just stupid. The example i witnessed on the way home, IMO, definately falls into the former category. By contrast, on the way to work yesterday morning, i was overtaken by someone using a centre slip road for a turn off to a local quarry. I would consif=der that to be the latter.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - Leif

Reporting someone who is driving dangerously and might kill or injure someone is hardly snooping. I believe all forces take video evidence but it may have to be in a particular file format. Once they view it, they can decide on the action if any to take.

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - Engineer Andy

Reporting someone who is driving dangerously and might kill or injure someone is hardly snooping. I believe all forces take video evidence but it may have to be in a particular file format. Once they view it, they can decide on the action if any to take.

I agree. Sadly, unless its a really serious offence or one they can just send a fine out, they mostly don't want to know these days. Ironically if its posted on social media and the person doing so says something 'mean' about the other party, they could find the police round their home giving them a 'warning'.

Upsetting a snowflake takes precedence over endangering lives. Hey, we’re talking about feelings here, it’s serious stuff. :)
Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - madf
Upsetting a snowflake takes precedence over endangering lives. Hey, we’re talking about feelings here, it’s serious stuff. :)

There are some serious snowflakes as well. Like seriously dumb and stoopid. On one of the Beekeeping forums, someone commented that "margarine is one step away from plastic". When I asked which step.. heating, spreading or just looking at it :-)?... I was accused of being aggressive. I replied that anyone who posted rubbish deserved to be challenged .

The good news is that snowflakes tend not to be able to use Google to search for anything so they are useless at refuting logical arguments.

Edited by madf on 09/09/2018 at 18:42

Pink meaty nourishment ... yuck ...

Dashcam footage of dangerous driving. - hillman

Yesterday I was driving on the A6 from Chapel-en-le-Frith and had reached the Whaley Bridge roundabout. I took the outside lane to not be mistaken for turning left; not everybody signals. Then I was undertaken by a car just before I had reached the single carriageway. The car must have come from behind, but there was nothing within sight when I checked, so he must have been travelling fast. Punishment was swift; that stretch of road is very busy and the offender was in front of me when I turned off.