Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - bery_451

Hi,

- I am after a petrol executive brand family sized car/estate or golf sized estate from september 2009 (59) to August 2014 that has true real combined mpg of around 40+mpg.

- timing/cambelt is chain.

- Is common and is seen a lot on the roads.

- foldable rear seats

What are the cheapest picks available or what prices am I looking at for this in the used market?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - SLO76
Too vague. Your perimeters could mean a price range from £1,500 to £15,000 and why the stipulation that it has a chain when some cars particularly VAG designs switched away from them due to reliability issues? A timing belt isn’t a cripplingly expensive thing to change once every five years or so.
Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - oldroverboy.

So, if you want a 9 year old car with a timing chain, it is essential to have a full service history showing annual oil changes...

If it is a vag with cheesecake timing chain, do you still want it?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - John F

I'd go for a belt too. Modern belts will last the life of the car/engine unless something they drive seizes. They don't elongate with use like chains do, with the associated problems of out-of-sync crank and cam, disintegrating plastic chain guides or even jumping teeth. Nowadays most belts have a precautionary change around 10yrs/100,000m, or even longer. The Ford ecoboost belt runs in oil with no change advisory at all. I recently posted a pic of the 18yr old belt on our 131,000m Ford Zetec 1.6 - looks as good as new, as does its poly-v belt. Even the relatively flimsy mid 20th century fan/alternator belt on my 1980 TR7 is still intact and working - admittedly only a mere 70,000m.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Leif

I'd go for a belt too. Modern belts will last the life of the car/engine unless something they drive seizes. They don't elongate with use like chains do, with the associated problems of out-of-sync crank and cam, disintegrating plastic chain guides or even jumping teeth. Nowadays most belts have a precautionary change around 10yrs/100,000m, or even longer. The Ford ecoboost belt runs in oil with no change advisory at all. I recently posted a pic of the 18yr old belt on our 131,000m Ford Zetec 1.6 - looks as good as new, as does its poly-v belt. Even the relatively flimsy mid 20th century fan/alternator belt on my 1980 TR7 is still intact and working - admittedly only a mere 70,000m.

One example proves nothing. And I take it you performed a full examination and test, not just eyeballing it? My VW Up had a belt change at 80,000 miles (or 5 years, whichever is the sooner). It cost £450 to change. A local indie would not do it cheaper because he needed a special tool costing £200 which was VW Up specific.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - John F

One example proves nothing. And I take it you performed a full examination and test, not just eyeballing it? My VW Up had a belt change at 80,000 miles (or 5 years, whichever is the sooner). It cost £450 to change. A local indie would not do it cheaper because he needed a special tool costing £200 which was VW Up specific.

Typical example of ignorant British motorist conned by UK VW Garage Pseudoauthority advising unnecessary work - mentioned on a site you visit..........!

http://www.werkstattportal.org/zahnriemenwechsel-vw-up/

supposedly lifetime part which does not need change

Im Inspektionsheft vo VW ist folgendes vermerkt :Zahnriemen ab 240.000
kontrollieren.......das heisst;lebenslÃngliche Haltbarkeit ! Verstanden
Benner ???

The up belt is maintenance free. I do hope they did the job properly. I wonder what percentage of up owners will have their engines ruined by unnecessary interference, e.g....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=92487

Edited by John F on 17/08/2018 at 18:20

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Engineer Andy

Is it me or does this 'request' sound like BS?

Why from Sept 09 to Aug 14? The price of second hand cars varies considerably, even with more upmarket brands and models.

Why should they care if its 'common'? Most, if not all brands, premium ones included, share parts across their range and thus, unless you're buying a car that originally cost over £100k (unlikely), most consumable parts are essentially the same. The daft thing is that, given the age, it sounds like they have little in the way of cash behind them and thus won't have the funds to keep the car well maintained.

They might as well say 'please advise me to by an Audi A4 (Avant?) or A3 Spaceback' or BMW 3 Series that's cheap. A car that cost well over £20k when new (in today's money) won't be cheap to run, even if its true mpg isn't that low.

Yes between 59 and 14 plates petrol cars must match Euro 5 emissions.

If its common on the road then its more likely to be cheap to run and hence more parts available for it too cheaply on the 2nd hand market.

VW owns Skoda and Audi, so you are telling me that if the automatic gearbox on my audi a6 for example has broken down then I can use a automatic gearbox from a skoda superb instead for like £few hundred quid as compared to £2-4k+ from a audi dealership as they are both the same part?

Regarding belts isnt there always a risk of them snapping in cold winter rendering the car useless?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Andrew-T

Regarding belts isnt there always a risk of them snapping in cold winter rendering the car useless?

I've not heard of any epidemics of this kind - unless you are thinking of driving in Canada or Russia, perhaps?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - SLO76
What is your budget?

Update I forgot to add to criteria

automatic or semi automatic.

Budget is flexible as I could get a right size loan from the bank however if the car has depreciated alot then thats a bonus.

Preferably from a executive brand as I plan to do affordable budget chauffeuring like parties/weddings on the side.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - BMW Enthusiast

Preferably from a executive brand as I plan to do affordable budget chauffeuring like parties/weddings on the side.

You do realise that you need a PSV licence, the vehicle will have to pass a PSV test and you'll need the relevant insurance cover too?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - pd

If you're doing parties you'll need to get it plated up as a taxi. Check your local authority requirements for age of a car as most are 5 years or less.

You'll also need an operators licence, a personal taxi licence and to licence the car. Note that once a taxi is plated up it can ONLY be driven by a licences taxi driver.

If you're just doing weddings you might be able to get away with no private hire licence but anything else you'll probably need one.

I don't think anything "Golf" sized is really going to cut the mustard anyway. I'm not sure how many people would think turning up their wedding in an A3 or A150 particularly special! You really need an E-Class size minimum if you're going to do that sort of stuff.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - RobJP

So, let me get the ENTIRE 'spec' correct, now that you've drip-fed the details

'Executive brand'

'Family sized' (Golf, etc), or estate of the same.

Petrol

40+mpg

Chain cam

'Common' (do note that this and the 'executive brand' contradict each other pretty nicely)

folding rear seats

Cheap parts (which rules out any 'executive brand')

auto/semi-auto gearbox

Suitable for weddings/chauffeur duty (but just imagine turning up in a Golf as somebody's wedding car or their chauffeur 'limo)

-------------------------

Think that's it for your requirements ?

Anyone else think that the OP has had an idea, and then not really thought it through ?

So,

Anyone else think that the OP has had an idea, and then not really thought it through ?

Maybe The Op wants SLO76 to magic a vehicle that is executive and cheap with folding seats at a good price, full service history, zero recorded problems a super warranty and within 10 miles of where he lives and young enough to be a taxi/private hire.(just joking)

So,

Maybe The Op wants SLO76 to magic a vehicle that is executive and cheap with folding seats at a good price, full service history, zero recorded problems a super warranty and within 10 miles of where he lives and young enough to be a taxi/private hire.(just joking)

Ah, reminds me of the wit of my old woodwork teacher, Mr Evans

"Impossible things take me a little time, and I'm still working on the miracles"

Hi yes im just using an example for golf sized estate version not an actual golf. Like a A3 estate if it exists. When it comes to private hire so many options like taxi, chauffering, airport transfers etc. Each option requires a suitable car I guess.

Shall I assume theres no car that does all? Nothing exist in the car market for the criteria above?

Hi yes im just using an example for golf sized estate version not an actual golf. Like a A3 estate if it exists. When it comes to private hire so many options like taxi, chauffering, airport transfers etc. Each option requires a suitable car I guess.

Shall I assume theres no car that does all? Nothing exist in the car market for the criteria above?

Go to autotrader.. select advanced search or more options then put in your parameters, (there are a lot!) and see what that brings up, bearing in mind your loca licencing requirements.

www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars?search-target=usedc...e

or

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&...5

Edited by oldroverboy. on 17/08/2018 at 16:53

seriously, if you want to do chaueffer work, and turn up in anything smaller / less than a Merc E Class/BMW 5 series/Audi A6 (or Range Rover, etc), you'll be told to go away and come back with a 'proper' car that's suitable for the job.

'Chauffer driven' is taken to mean as 'in some degree of luxury'. Anything without a lot of legroom and space to stretch out, they might as well have taken a minicab.

People pay for that sort of thing, they expect that sort of thing.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - pd

Golf sized car, as above, useless for this sort of stuff.

Family of 5 plus luggage going to Orlando for 2 weeks are not going to get into a Golf, or an A3 or whatever. Similarly a bride clambering out of cramped back of a small family hatchback isn't going to be a big sell. How often do you see a Audi A3 doing airport runs or weddings? Never is the answer.

On that basis, I'd probably go for an E-Class Estate. They're pretty much the default choice for this sort of work.

Ok what about the audi A5 sportback? How does this car hold up to the mercedes e class?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Avant

The only difference between the A5 Sportback and the A6 is that the styling of the A5 makes for lower heardroom in the back and more awkward entry and exit. So there would be no point in choosing this over the A6 for chauffeur work.

The A6 is the one to compare directly with the E-class. Both good cars, but both can be money-pits if you get one that hasn't been well looked after.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Engineer Andy

The only difference between the A5 Sportback and the A6 is that the styling of the A5 makes for lower heardroom in the back and more awkward entry and exit. So there would be no point in choosing this over the A6 for chauffeur work.

The A6 is the one to compare directly with the E-class. Both good cars, but both can be money-pits if you get one that hasn't been well looked after.

Indeed - at the age the OP is (foolishly, IMHO) looking to buy (presumably they don't have the budget for a new one) one, wear and tear items and expensive problems due to unsympathetic ownership, a lack of or poor maintenance will likely show up. Somehow I doubt if they have the funds available to cover such items.

I personally think the whole endeavour is poorly thought out and is asking for trouble - something that could cost the OP a LOT of money and have a large impact on their family.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - mss1tw

This is just that inane taxi driver asking the same question and hoping to magic up a new answer

www.honestjohn.co.uk/Forum/Search?f=2&author=v...0

Doh! taking the michel again then?

Please, nobody reply to his posts anymore,

I certainly won't after this.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 18/08/2018 at 21:05

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - KJP 123

Rob said, ”'Common' (do note that this and the 'executive brand' contradict each other pretty nicely)”

I don’t want to start an argument but didn’t BMW start worrying about image when their 3 series started outselling Ford Mondeos? Same goes for Audi.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Andrew-T

This is just that inane taxi driver asking the same question and hoping to magic up a new answer.

Presumably the answer he wants to hear - if he knows what that is?

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - Avant

This is the fourth thread that you've started on the same subject, and I think you've had all the advice you're going to get from us.

The best suggestion in all the threads is the Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI petrol manual. You won't get any more customers by choosing an Audi or Mercedes: the only difference is that these will cost more to buy and run.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - skidpan

Yes between 59 and 14 plates petrol cars must match Euro 5 emissions

Wrong, very wrong.

Euro 5 was law for newly homologated designs introduced September 2009 onwards (59 plate) but existing Euro 4 homologations were legally able to be manufactured, sold and registered until 31 December 2010 (60 plate).

If the OP is so hung up on image and badges why not delete or change them. Very few people out there know one car from another, many from the VAG stable have similar profiles.

One local chap obviously had image issues with his Chrysler 300C, replaced all the badges with Bently ones.

Some years ago another local swapped all his Vauxhall badges on his Frontera with Honda ones.

Most recent was a chap who has fitted BMW X5 front end parts to his Kia Sorento.

Just a thought, could it be the same sad, demeted person.

If the OP is so hung up on image and badges why not delete or change them. Very few people out there know one car from another, many from the VAG stable have similar profiles.

One local chap obviously had image issues with his Chrysler 300C, replaced all the badges with Bently ones.

Some years ago another local swapped all his Vauxhall badges on his Frontera with Honda ones.

Most recent was a chap who has fitted BMW X5 front end parts to his Kia Sorento.

Just a thought, could it be the same sad, demeted person.

Perhaps we could all stop lowering the tone and also stop paying attention.my own comment was clearly a joke, bu we are now heading off subject.

Avant,, PLEASE close..

ORB

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - groaver

Are you sure it wasn't an imported Honda Passport?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Passport

Are you sure it wasn't an imported Honda Passport?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Passport

Never heard of one before and I guess it could be except for one rather important fact. On Wiki there is no mention of the SWB 3 door version and the local one was the SWB 3 door version.

One other small point, why would anyone go to the expense of importing what was a dreadful and unloved car. Some far east imports made sense but a Isuzu with Honda badges, give over.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - John Boy

One other small point, why would anyone go to the expense of importing what was a dreadful and unloved car. Some far east imports made sense but a Isuzu with Honda badges, give over.

What a lovely phrase "give over" is! It seems to be a gentle way of saying "stop" without causing offense. I don't think I've ever seen it written down before.

Recommend which car to buy from following criteria - galileo

What a lovely phrase "give over" is! It seems to be a gentle way of saying "stop" without causing offense. I don't think I've ever seen it written down before.

Commonly used here in Yorkshire, had it said to me in my youth by girlfriends.