Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - dan86

In my eyes yes they do but others may feel different.

I've been driving 14 years and only had the misfortune of having to go to a Kwik fit twice as it was the only place open on a Sunday.

First time was maybe 12 years ago when I had a puncture on a Sunday morning they repaird the puncture no problem but tried to convince me I needed new pads and discs on a car that wasn't 6 months old. I thanked them for letting me know but declined their quote of £400.

The second time was Sunday just gone. Same thing had a puncture and couldn't really wait untill Monday as I had to leave early to be somewhere. So I reluctantly went to kwik fit who tired to tell me it wasnt repairable even though it was center of the tred and i hadnt driven on it flat. They told me I needed a new tyre (this one was only 3 months old) £146.86. I said that's a bit dear I replaced all 4 3 months ago for £128 each. I told them to leave it and drove off. I had a quick Google and found a small independent tyre place was open and £10 later puncture repaird.

Edited by Avant on 11/08/2018 at 11:57

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Engineer Andy

Gullible mugs and little competition on Sundays. Word of mouth used to be great to tell whether a garage or especially a tyre fitter was good or not - these days, with the Interweb, liars abound and unless several of your most trusted friends or family have frequented one of these and know their stuff (technical side), then quite often its a lottery as to whom to believe.

Customer service in this country has gone to pot over the last 25 years. Very few genuinely good firms left - some branches of fitters are fine, most seem not to be, at worst technically ok for simple stuff, but as you say wanting to get business by conning punters into thinking there's more wrong with their car than there actually is.

My local (literally a stone's throw away) recently changed hands to be a Tyre City - to be honest, I'd never heard of them before this, and given most if not all the major chains are franchises, I can't see any difference to them from before. I used my main dealer 12 miles away instead - I wouldn't use them unless forced to, which is where I'm sure they make most of their profits.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - TheGentlemanThug

Gullible mugs and little competition on Sundays.

Sums it up perfectly, really. Their target audience are those who don't know better or those caught in a jam who need a convenient fix.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - lucklesspedestrian

2 experiences with KF:

Once late on a Sunday afternoon, the exhaust had fallen off our Citroen ZX at the very begining of a journey back from holiday in Suffolk to Scotland. Put the exhaust in the back of the car and found KF in Lowestoft just about to close. They worked on it for about an hour, came up with a Heath Robinson bracket to hold it all back together and refused to charge for the work (Gave then £20 for the tea/coffee fund). The temp fix actually lasted for about 2 months!

On another occassion heard a weird noise coming from somewhere on our Toyota Carina on the way down the M6. Pulled in to KF somewhere north of Preston where they diagnosed a loose exhaust manifold. They tightened the bolts and sent us on our way, again no charge, again £20 contributed to the tea money!

Gullible mugs and little competition on Sundays.

Sums it up perfectly, really. Their target audience are those who don't know better or those caught in a jam who need a convenient fix.

Which is why I'll never buy a car which doesn't have some kind of spare wheel/tyre fitted - don't care if its the bees knees in every other department - no spare, no sale. All things being equal I'd much prefer one with a full sized spare equivalent to the other tyres.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Bolt

A lot of people have no knowledge of cars and have done whatever they are told needs doing, I know several people caught out by them but they had no idea they were being mislead.

One occasion I got a phone call from a member of family who took their car in for MOT, they were told it needed a new rear silencer new pads and discs, plus a pair of dampers to to front to pass

the work she agreed to as car was needed for work and had to be on the road asap, the work took 2 days to do? and was retested, it failed again because they bought the wrong silencer that did not fit properly and leaked, and also failed on rear dampers which passed 2 days before.

to cut long story short she was left in tears because parts they fitted were wrong and failed MOT yet again, anyway she reported what happened and had paperwork to prove what happened, I never found out the result of the complaint as she always said she was asked to keep it quiet

but she is not the only one to have problems, but asaia no one else took it further!

Edited by Avant on 11/08/2018 at 11:58

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - SLO76
A wee campaign to get politicians to ban garages and fast fit establishments from paying staff bonuses and commissions based on sales. This is why we’ve seen such a rise in dishonesty from the car repair side of the industry in recent years. They’re being encouraged to rip us off.
Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Bromptonaut

Never had a problem, certainly not in recent times.

In last four years I've bought 3 pairs of tyres from them. All three were to some extent distress purchases as they involved punctures or damaged tyres. Once in Newcastle under Lyme, once at home and once in Folkestone. On each occasion they offered the tyres I wanted - not budget ditchfinders- at prices that were OK. A bit more than book in advance but not pee takingly so.

Fitters were quick and professional and no suggestion I might need extra work on either car.

OTOH I'm a well spoken grey haired bloke whose language and demeanour probably suggest I know what I'm talking about so it'd be a dim fitter who tried it on. OTOH I don't think either my partner or our daughter have had any problem either.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - madf

I have used KF for cheap MOTs for a decade . Never had ANY issues..Failures were genuine and no hard sell for repairs.

(Twenty years ago, I would not have siad that about the same site - Congleton - as they were carp then. much better now)

I have used KF for cheap MOTs for a decade . Never had ANY issues..Failures were genuine and no hard sell for repairs.

(Twenty years ago, I would not have siad that about the same site - Congleton - as they were carp then. much better now)

You may have just been lucky in that you got a good local franchise or two. I've heard many tales from friends, colleagues and family where the opposite was true. Saying that, like many businesses, franchise owners and staff come and go, so reputations can change over time.

For those that garages and dealerships (often familiy run through several generations) that have kept great reputations for years, even decades, this shows great management and I'd travel to use them for big ticket items. Not for MOTs though, but I won't take the risk by using a fast fit chain unless I'm 100% sure.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Smileyman

Too many cars don't have spare tyres, or if they do these are a different size to the running wheels and the motorist is restricted to 50 mph. (I don't consider these to be a very safe option, being restricted to 50mph on a motorway forces all others to overtake, a recipe for accidents)

As we all know, any distress purchase comes with a price penalty, even if that is only not being able to take advantage of competative prices. (eg Blackcircles and other online tyre retailers). In defence of Kwik Fit opening on a Sunday morning, carrying stock at all their branches and having trained staff on hand "ready waiting" costs and they are not charities. One possible way to get around the price aspect is to order the tyre online on their website for immediate or next day fitting, the online prices are more reflective of a competative marketplace.

As for the case in hand, probably different people have different interpretations of what is safe to repair, and perhaps the fitters are paid a commission that would have been lost with a repair - and that weighed greater than any brand reputation consideration did.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - FP

They're not all the same. Each branch is a franchise, I believe, and a lot comes down to the manager or whoever sets the tone.

I've told this one before: I had the misfortune to have an alternator fail on a Mk2 Ford Focus a few years ago. It was a wet Friday getting on for 5 pm on the M1. Limped off the motorway into the nearest town and came across a Kwikfit. They agreed to do the job, but it was too late to get the part in, so we found a hotel and returned the next morning.

By soon after 11 am a new alternator had been fitted and we were on our way. We had not been sold anything extra, nor told any fancy stories about this or that needing replacement. I had my trusted indy check the work later and he said it was fine. What we were charged seemed pretty much on the mark.

Edited by FP on 10/08/2018 at 21:35

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Miniman777

I'm supposed to use them for my company car when away from HQ as leaseco has account. When at HQ, we use an excellent local fitting company where you cant fault the service.

Kwik Fit Puncture 1: Took car in mid-afternoon with nail in tyre (driveable). Next morning they say. Hmm, that's not Kwik. Went to local fitters who I'd bought 4 runflats from a few weeks earlier who sorted immediately.

Kwik Fit Puncture 2: Didnt spot a flat on rear N/S when getting in car, TPMS never bleeped to warn of a flat, and upshot was a ruined tyre 200 yds down the road. It was a Thursday morning, Leaseco passed me to Kwik Fit's mobile fitting section, and earliest the could get was the following Monday. Monday FFS? Again, hardly Kwik, so phoned local fitter used previously, told size/brand needed. Couldnt get one that day but would be with me by 0930 next morning. All done & dusted 20 mins after arrival.

So, two disappointments doesnt encourage me to ever offer them future business.

Interesting that some have had experiences where staff have gone beyond the norm.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Leif
I’ve used them many times for new tyres, no problems. I wouldn’t trust them for anything else, but that goes for any of these places.
Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - NARU

Our company lease scheme used KF, and as I was doing 30,000 miles a year, I visited a few.

Some were outstanding. Others were dire.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - FoxyJukebox

One of the most useful things they do is a free exhaust check. Just recently before a longish journey-I had one.

Not only do they put the car on the ramp and have a good look round--but they invite the driver to come and have a good look too. Since the car I had was ten years old and Mr Kwik Fit said it was all "ok at the moment" plus the fact that I could both hear and see that all was well--I reckon that was a good 15 mins worth of piece of mind.

I also had a nice look round everything else underneath, which looked fine and clean.

I reckon they're fine and as others have implied, If you know what you want and are wise to their "come on in" approach.Great.

I would not however commit a complex electrical repair jobby to them and i would be suspicious of a cheapo cheapo MOT !

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Quadratica

It's only free if they do not have your name, address, email etc. Otherwise, all good.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - madf

"I would not however commit a complex electrical repair jobby to them and i would be suspicious of a cheapo cheapo MOT !"

Same examiner. Same quality control. Just pre booked at times when they don't have much business...

And all subject to statistical QC by Dept of Transport.

I used them once in 2005 (forgot what for). This is what happened. They did the job and it came to about £90. I placed the cash on the counter and waited for my receipt. I was then asked my name and address but refused to give it, they said it was for the guarantee, I replied that the receipt will be sufficient guarantee. They then said till will not open until I give name and address. I declined several times and eventually left a note detailing the work done and my satisfaction with it and their refusal to accept payment; I added my reg number too. I took my keys and cash and drove off. I never heard from them again.

So I had an excellent experience with them.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Big John

They then said till will not open until I give name and address.

I wonder if this has changed with GDPR?

I wonder if this has changed with GDPR?

It might have done but there are more principles than just consent when it comes to retaining data.

I'm baffled though as to why somebody would refuse to give their name/address given that it should be possible to opt out of promotional stuff.

What if there's a recall on tyres from a particular batch, one of which is on your car?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/08/2018 at 11:52

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - gordonbennet

Don't think i've ever used them, i once had a quote for an exhaust from them, much higher than an indy exhaust place in town...which i mentioned...we'll meet or beat that quote..no you won't cheerio.

Generally i try to avoid fast fit joints, though if i was stuck somewhere on a weekend and a fast fitter my only option, well i'll bite the bullet be grateful someone was open and not complain about the price afterwards.

They had my reg number so could have contacted me if recall problem. I'm baffled why some people don't think twice about giving out personal data given the numerous data leaks that happen.

They had my reg number so could have contacted me if recall problem. I'm baffled why some people don't think twice about giving out personal data given the numerous data leaks that happen.

Fair enough though I'm not sure I'd rely on KF approaching DVLA never mind them releasing my details.

I'm quite happy that invoices for goods supplied show my address. A mini risk assessment says that, for all the fuss when one happens the probability of a data breach is low and the consequence manageable. My bank account was hacked 10yrs ago and while it was a PITA to deal with I got all my money back without question.

I did fall once for the Halfords' offer to email my receipt. Seems 'eco' to go paperless and item I'b bought was for my son who'd lose a paper receipt before he got it home. Nobody in Halford offered me the opportunity to specify purposes for use of my data, ie to say no to promotional stuff.

Within hours I was being carpet bombed with email about Halford's offers - several every day. Opt out worked promptly but they I won't take up that offer again.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - alan1302

I did fall once for the Halfords' offer to email my receipt. Seems 'eco' to go paperless and item I'b bought was for my son who'd lose a paper receipt before he got it home. Nobody in Halford offered me the opportunity to specify purposes for use of my data, ie to say no to promotional stuff.

Within hours I was being carpet bombed with email about Halford's offers - several every day. Opt out worked promptly but they I won't take up that offer again.

In theory that won't be able to heppen now with the GDPR rules

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - expat

>>They then said till will not open until I give name and address.

give them an name and address - it doesn't have to be true. T May, 10 Downing St for instance. Same goes for the mobile number.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - John F

Yes.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - DavidGlos
Unfortunately, our company car lease company use KF. It took them
2 hours to fit four tyres. When I got the car home and had a look at their work, they'd managed to fit them the wrong way round, with the direction of travel arrow pointing the wrong way!

Reckoned they couldn't correct their own mistake for almost a week! I was far from
impressed!

Whilst I was in there, a poor chap with a poorly van was advised that it needed a new turbo because their diagnostic computer said so. I would be extremely cautious about letting them replace a turbo!

Fair point......I'll make up bogus details because this kind of thing happens a lot now.

Mr. Q. Phitt, 666 Crook Lane........

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - gordonbennet

Fair point......I'll make up bogus details because this kind of thing happens a lot now.

Mr. Q. Phitt, 666 Crook Lane........

You'd have the support of my very own SWMBO, but she doesn't gve false info she simply refuses point blank to play by their rules, she asks why they need this info and as soon as they come out with the usual 'company policy' cobblers (the statutory excuse) her horns go up and no way on this earth will they ever learn her details...long may you her and others carry on refusing to feed the data gatherers.

These companies have forgotten how the relationship between customer and a selling business works, maybe as the far too large state has gained the attitude that it lords it over us plebs unquestionably, it's rubbed off on the clones who operate business too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/08/2018 at 09:19

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - badbusdriver

Couple of times recently I've bought stuff from Halfords. At checkout, I'm asked "do you have an email address?", to which i simply reply, "no". Same thing at argos the last time I bought anything there.

One of my customers takes the personal info very seriously. Standing at the door chatting while she gave me the money, a parcel delivery person turned up with a parcel for next door, my customer would only take it if she didn't have to sign or leave details. Fair do!

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Bolt

Couple of times recently I've bought stuff from Halfords. At checkout, I'm asked "do you have an email address?", to which i simply reply, "no". Same thing at argos the last time I bought anything there.

One of my customers takes the personal info very seriously. Standing at the door chatting while she gave me the money, a parcel delivery person turned up with a parcel for next door, my customer would only take it if she didn't have to sign or leave details. Fair do!

I gave up worrying about that years ago, if they want to hack a company for your details they will do it, apart from the fact your details are probably already on the dark web, and unless your card is inside a protective case you have more chance of having credit- debit details scanned than your details given away

I have seen people refusing to give their details, but flashing credit/debit card in front of other people without a thought of it being scanned from a few feet away?

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Andrew-T

One of my customers takes the personal info very seriously. Standing at the door chatting while she gave me the money, a parcel delivery person turned up with a parcel for next door, my customer would only take it if she didn't have to sign or leave details.

I don't think that is 'Fair do'. As above, if one is willing to accept a delivery on behalf of a neighbour, there is nothing to prevent one using a false signature. By refusing, one is only making trouble (possibly) for the deliverer. The saying is, don't shoot the messenger, he's only doing his job.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Avant

Signing is one thing - my signature is an illegible squiggle anyway - but I wouldn't want to give the courier my name and address unless I knew my neighbour. There are plenty of people who don't know all their neighbours.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - Andrew-T

... I wouldn't want to give the courier my name and address unless I knew my neighbour. There are plenty of people who don't know all their neighbours.

Avant, that's what I implied by 'being willing to accept on behalf'. I don't think I would accept on behalf of someone I didn't know, so decline to accept under those circumstances.

Kwik fit do they deserve their bad reputation? - badbusdriver

The customer in question is the type of person who would never dream of telling a lie, in whatever form. It is not something i would bother too much about myself (either telling a lie, up to a point!, or signing for a neighbour's parcel), and the delivery driver seemed a bit bemused by it. But hey ho, each to their own!.