FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - Hydra1

I have had a weird problem since the heatwave began (may or may not be related) and now my Ranger won't start at all.

First time I had a problem, 4 weeks ago, I left the rager parked in very hot sun, went to start it (it has a key + push button start) and the first thing I noticed was that the glow plug light, which usually lights up for a few seconds, did not come on - I thought this was down to the heat and tried to start it, It turned over fine, but would not start. I suspected it was related to the hot weather, so I waited for the sun to go down and - hey presto, it worked, the glow plug light came on and I started it fine.

Over the past 4 weeks, I have experienced the same problem, only in very hot conditions and every time, the glow plug light fails to come on and it won't start and then once it has cooled down outside, the glow plug light comes back on and I start OK. But now the problem has returned and this time, the glow plug light is staying off and I cannot start at all. Yesterday it was running fine, I parked it in very hot weather for a few hours, but by the time I came back to it, it was dark and cool, I turned on the key - no glow plug light, and it turns over but won't start. It does not start with 'easy start' either.

A roadside technician looked at it today and said he thought the glow plugs were fine and that there is not enough fuel getting to the injectors - I am not sure about this diagnosis because it ignores the issue with the glow plug light which is definitiely related to the problem. Anyone?

Edited by Hydra1 on 26/07/2018 at 18:29

FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - elekie&a/c doctor
The glow plug light is probably more than just for the glow plugs. I would guess it is an engine malfunction indicator. The problem could be a wiring/connection ,relay or anything else.
FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - gordonbennet

Glow plug wiring is usually easy to access, might i suggest *carefully* hot wiring direct from the battery to an accessible glow plug connector, which will link all of them, remember you are talking some 60 amps current IIRC so a suitable wire will be needed, and get an assistant to immediately try to start the car in the normal way.

This requires some care obviously, but if successful will hopefully confirm if the problem is in the glow plug relay or wiring.

I have checked glow plugs in the past without removing them by disconnecting the link wire and powering them up individually through an ammeter (you need one heck of an ammeter to read 60+ amps) a normal glow plug as i recall takes about 15 amps current.

I have no doubt Elekie Doc is on the money, just suggesting what i would do (home mechanic style) to prove the glow plug wiring/relay is the issue.

FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - Hydra1

Thanks all - The breakdown recovery truck came and delivered it to my local garage and, I'm assuming the vibration of being on the low loader did something because, as soon as I got there, turned the key and glow plug light came back on and it started fine - after 24 hours of trying!

A friend has gone over the electrics and can't find an obvious fault, but he has cleaned up all connections and earth and so far, no repeat of the problem though I''m not optimistic is won't happen again. Not sure how to diagnose if it does.

Edited by Hydra1 on 28/07/2018 at 14:47

FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - Ana154

I have had a weird problem since the heatwave began (may or may not be related) and now my Ranger won't start at all.

First time I had a problem, 4 weeks ago, I left the rager parked in very hot sun, went to start it (it has a key + push button start) and the first thing I noticed was that the glow plug light, which usually lights up for a few seconds, did not come on - I thought this was down to the heat and tried to start it, It turned over fine, but would not start. I suspected it was related to the hot weather, so I waited for the sun to go down and - hey presto, it worked, the glow plug light came on and I started it fine.

Over the past 4 weeks, I have experienced the same problem, only in very hot conditions and every time, the glow plug light fails to come on and it won't start and then once it has cooled down outside, the glow plug light comes back on and I start OK. But now the problem has returned and this time, the glow plug light is staying off and I cannot start at all. Yesterday it was running fine, I parked it in very hot weather for a few hours, but by the time I came back to it, it was dark and cool, I turned on the key - no glow plug light, and it turns over but won't start. It does not start with 'easy start' either.

A roadside technician looked at it today and said he thought the glow plugs were fine and that there is not enough fuel getting to the injectors - I am not sure about this diagnosis because it ignores the issue with the glow plug light which is definitiely related to the problem. Anyone?

Is this issue resolved completely? We are facing the same problem.

Edited by Ana154 on 28/11/2018 at 11:32

FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - Ana154

First time I had a problem, 4 weeks ago, I left the rager parked in very hot sun, went to start it (it has a key + push button start) and the first thing I noticed was that the glow plug light, which usually lights up for a few seconds, did not come on - I thought this was down to the heat and tried to start it, It turned over fine, but would not start. I suspected it was related to the hot weather, so I waited for the sun to go down and - hey presto, it worked, the glow plug light came on and I started it fine. Mobdro

Is this issue resolved completely? We are facing the same problem.

Any Update Please???

FORD RANGER SUPERCAB 4X2 DIESEL, 2000 - FORD RANGER MK1 2000 MYSTERY PROBLEM - hrkudryavtseva

A friend has gone over the electrics and can't find an obvious fault, but he has cleaned up all connections and earth and so far, no repeat of the problem though I''m not optimistic is won't happen again. Not sure how to diagnose if it does. apkjunky