Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - Scott Stevens

Mulling over 2 petrol engine options for a car to buy:

- 1) Used Hyundai Tucson 1.6 GDI SE Nav 9 months old with 4k miles from Motorpoint (Ex-Enterprise car rental). Cost £16.4k.

- 2) Brand new Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE with metallic paint and reversing camera options. Apparently costs only £17.6k via Carfile with the £3k PCP Skoda contribution (which I would pay off within 2 weeks and keep the contribution - assuming this is still allowed)

I like the look and feel of the Tucson, but it's hard to ignore the value of the Superb at this price. It also includes 2 free services and obviously you don't pay the first year road tax as its brand new (saving an extra £140). Given the better economy of the Superb (reckon I'll save £150-£250 per year on petrol doing 4-5k miles per year), it probably works out cheaper after a year or 2.

Does anyone know if the Skoda Superb Carfile offer is still likely to be valid in terms of either there being enough 1.4 engine stock available to get one or the same offer being offered on the newer 1.5 engine?

Also I was just wondering how depreciation might impact these 2 options over say 1-5 years assuming they are both well kept and we average say 5000 miles per year? Are they both likely to retain the same value as each other or would the Superb provide better value here as well?

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - daveyK_UK
Based on the deals you have outlined and if the car file deal allows you to pay off the finance early, then surely you have to go for the Skoda Superb.
The only thing I’m the Hyundai Tuscan’s favour is it has 5 years of warranty vs Skoda’s 3 years.

However, You are comparing 2 very different cars.
If you were comparing a I40 and Superb, that would be more realistic.

Don’t forget to check our car wow and AutoeBid, also Uk car discount can have good deals on certain makes and models.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - FiestaOwner

Hi Scott

You said in your previous thread (which you started on 5th July 2018), that you'd agreed to buy the Hyundai Tucson.

You also said that you'd paid a refundable deposit. You said later on in that thread that you'd paid £99 to have the Tucson transported to a closer Motorpoint dealer.

You also said that Motorpoint had repaired a couple of external scuffs and stone chips for you.

Given that you agreed to buy the car from Motorpoint and that Motorpoint has incurred costs in sorting out the scuffs and stone chips for you, if you don't proceed to buy this Tucson then I'm sure you will have lost your deposit as well as the £99 charge to move the car nearer to you.

Only consider a different car if you're willing to lose what you've already paid!

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - gordonbennet

Whichever car you choose will suffer massive depreciation, which won't be mitigated by your low mileage...you only have to see the comments on this forum to see many people are wary of low mileage cars (i disagree with them but they will be potential buyers down the line too)...however if you are determined to spend so much on a car then IMO the Skoda would not see quite same cliff drop depreciation that the Hyundai, which happens with these far eastern makes when models change.

Look at out of warranty far eastern cars generally, almost given away ( the large Santa Fe/Sorento kick this trend because a different market segment where ability and space count more than current fashion), the problem as i see it is that many, not all, of their designs are current day design items when made and their designs seem to change faster than i do my socks, hence go out of date rapidly, the Skoda is a more traditional possibly conservative design ( handsome to my eyes) so won't look as old fashioned as quickly when it gets replaced.

I'm not saying the Hyundai will be a bad car, far from it, but you are asking about depreciation in particular, and like one poster in your other thread mentioned, my budget for your use would be much less, probably one third, i suspect that entire 1/3rd budget will vanish in the first year or eighteen months of depreciation with either of your choices.

Buying older does not mean unreliable, buy known good older cars and look after them and they are just as reliable, but car buyers have convinced themselves this is not the case and quite possibly some makes and models have proved them right.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - Wee Willie Winkie

Skoda told me the pricing for the 1.5 should be realised around about now. The only way you'll find out if there are stocks of the 1.4 is by asking a Skoda dealer.

Seriously though, make your mind up man!

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - Falkirk Bairn

This OP has been asking advice for at least 6 weeks, decided to buy car A, then it's B or maybe BFranchise or Bmotorpoint, now it's Skoda Superb1.4 or 1.5 or maybe Hyundai from Peterborough.

Skoda Superbs cab be bulletproof - they do an armoured version - weighs 3 tonnes & costs £120K.

I think he does not know what he wants.

Does the OP have difficulty making up his mind? Well Yes & No was the reply.

He has not asked about Hybrids - now they can be a good buy if you can run them on the battery for say 25/30 miles - a chargepoint @ home and no need to buy expensive petrol. That might be the answer!

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - Scott Stevens

I think he does not know what he wants.

Does the OP have difficulty making up his mind? Well Yes & No was the reply

mibbes aye mibbes naw!

Guilty as charged. Never bought a car before, clueless to start (a little less so now but not by much) and easily influenced by others.

I might just buy a new bike instead! Ha ha

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.5 TSI SE Petrol via Carfile - skidpan

Does anyone know if the Skoda Superb Carfile offer is still likely to be valid in terms of either there being enough 1.4 engine stock available to get one or the same offer being offered on the newer 1.5 engine?

I know this might sound like a bizarre concept but have you considered contacting Carfile about this? I could take a wild guess and I would probably be incorrect but Carfile will either know the correct answer or more likely put you in contact with their Skoda dealer who will certainly know the answer.

Whatever you do stop messing dealers about. We all visit several dealers when we are buying and the salesmen only expect a small percentage of those visits to actually end in a sale but to put deposits down etc and expect them to be returned when remourse sets in is simply asking for a major disapointment.