Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Sofa Spud

Why would a car need pot-hole detection? Surely a violent jolt in the suspension is adequate indication that you've found a pot-hole.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Leif

Why would a car need pot-hole detection? Surely a violent jolt in the suspension is adequate indication that you've found a pot-hole.

It actively steers the car towards pot holes, so you don't have to keep a look out for them.

I hit one a few weeks back, the tyre deflated within a minute of the impact. It only had 2,000 miles on it too. Huge whacking great big pot hole, I think the Grand Canyon was its mentor.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Gibbo_Wirral

"Once a pothole is identified, the dampers are automatically adjusted to their hardest setting, so the wheels that run over the hole don't fall so deep into it."

How is that going to work? I can't see any technology lifting the weight off that side of the car so it combats the effect of gravity.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - skidpan

Surely its simpler for the driver to simply keep an eye out for the dangerous beasties. Sometimes we miss them, in the past 30 years I have had 3 bent wheels but thanks to old school tall sidewall tyres no puncture. The local council paid for 2 wheels/tyres in one instance since I obtained proof from locals they had been complaing for months

Some idiot drivers will assume its another reason they can drive along and let the car control itself.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Snakey

Maybe the local councils could adapt this technology to automate the process of spraying a yellow circle around the pot, as that seems to be the total effort expended on them these days.

Some potholes around here had the yellow circle of shame, but it wore off and they've recently been re-sprayed. Comical.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Engineer Andy

Surely its simpler for the driver to simply keep an eye out for the dangerous beasties. Sometimes we miss them, in the past 30 years I have had 3 bent wheels but thanks to old school tall sidewall tyres no puncture. The local council paid for 2 wheels/tyres in one instance since I obtained proof from locals they had been complaing for months

Some idiot drivers will assume its another reason they can drive along and let the car control itself.

Indeed, as evidenced by that (IMHO) idiot woman who killed a pedestrian while watching TV on the passenger seat (she was the only occupant) of her supposedly self-driver uber car. I know people who drive really fast, saying that their car's ABS, collision braking system, etc will stop them if they need to.

Imagine if this sort of system tried to avoid a pothole and caused an accident as a result. God helps us.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - barney100

Spoke to a lady today whose SLK 250 was damaged to the tune of over £2000 by a pothole incident. Apparently if the council put white lines around a pothole they aren't liable...is that right?

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - IRC

Spoke to a lady today whose SLK 250 was damaged to the tune of over £2000 by a pothole incident. Apparently if the council put white lines around a pothole they aren't liable...is that right?

I'd have thought the opposite. If they know it's there they can't deny liability.

Edited by IRC on 22/06/2018 at 23:00

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - James2018

Potholes are becoming dangerous.

There is one near me, hidden by a large speed bump and just before a pedestrian island.

Even at 15mph it throws the car towards the island. One day, someone is going to hit it at speed and potentially take someone waiting to cross on the island out.

There is anohter one on a nearby A road that is identified by the tyre fragments within a few dozen yards of it.

The council knows of both of these and has done for weeks but hasn't done anything.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - bazza

Try "Fix my Street", that has worked for me in the past. I agree that we should all be looking out for them as part of general observation but it's not always possible to avoid them if the carriageway is narrow and there's oncoming traffic. Particularly on a bike, once a chosen line is set on say, a bend, it's not so easy to move very quickly and safely off that line, unless you happen to have the skills of Guy Martin, which I have not!

My neighbour hit a pothole earlier this year which wrote her car off, too much suspension damage to fix. It cost the local council ( Monmouthshire) about £4000 in pay-out. And hers was one of several claims!

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Engineer Andy

I'd have thought the opposite. If they know it's there they can't deny liability.

I not sure exactly what the deal is legally, but I think that once a pothole is officially reported (i.e. via a council's online/phone reporting system or possibly via fixmystreet) that they get a certain number of days to fix the problem - I'm not sure if they are liable for any damage to vehicles once the report has been made or just after the two working day (possibly) 'fix' period.

I think this is why many now have categories for such problems - my county council (Hertfordshire) has criteria for estimating the severity of the pothole (and other problems [different criteria, obviously]) - you choose from a range of depths and diameters, and can give both text extra info and can upload photos to make their descisions easier to make.

I think, for them anyway, if a pothole is under 2inches/50mm deep and/or less than the width of a football, then its a lower risk and they just monitor its deterioration, after an employee (a contractor) checks the pothole and rings it with spray paint if it needs repair. The low category just get left, the high category get marked and normally, but not always, fixed within 2 working days. Not sure about the 'liability thing' as regards the spary painting, given you can't always see them.

I agree that the spray painted circles cannot always been seen in time (especially at night or if its raining heavily) and you can't always safely take avoiding action, especially if you either don't see it until the last second (not helped if its full of water) or there's nowhere to go (e.g. if you're boxed in by a width restriction or island, etc).

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - carl233

Maybe Ford should focus efforts on building the Transit so that it does not have rust issues quite early on within the life of the vehicle. Look underneath a new one and you will see a very poorly finished vehicle. Every single generation has had rust issues and it has been making them for many decades. Perhaps also try to ensure the ridiculous failure rate of the 'modern' Ecoboost 1.0 units is reduced and that the timing belt bathed in oil does not snap before 100k as it has been doing in a number of vehicles. It is amazing how Ford is so popular given some of the poor engineering they offer.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - gordonbennet

Those makers who have buyers queueing up have no need to worry, doesn't matter how poor the product or after service proves they continue to sell as many as they make, i blame the customers for unthinkingly supporting more of the same.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - carl233

It is amazing how people can support such kindergarten and pathetic engineering that lead to a product that is essentially a ticking time bomb especially with the Ecoboost 1.0 units and the Transits that have no proper finish underneath. I have not mentioned the 2.3 litre unit in the Focus RS that for a £30k car was not even tested to any decent degree in my opinion for such flaws that have impacted many owners.

Also Ford is the company that will sell you a high spec £40k plus Tourneo that has no underseal to protect from corrosion and a very poorly finished body. How people fall for this stuff is beyond belief. I am fortunate in that I have visitied many parts of the world over the last decade and when I compare to the UK the people seem very willing and almost be of the mindset to quietly accept such poor product and poor support. Some people or should I say herds will perhaps always go along with the 'brand quality'.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - galileo

As has been pointed out previously,more than once, 50% of the population are, by definition, of below average IQ.

Recent research has found that average IQ is itself declining.

Ford to launch pot hole detection technology - Avant

Indeed, and I'm sceptical about the way in which IQ is measured.

Out of curiosity, in my youth many years ago I did the Mensa test and got in: but I didn't kid myself that I was super-intelligent - just good at doing that particular type of test. I think I showed a more useful type of intelligence by resigning when they doubled the subscription.