Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - Simon Medcalf

I placed an order for a new Volvo XC60 with UK car discounts on the 6th March 2018, paying a £1000.00 deposit. I was informed that it was just like placing an order with my local dealer with no risk. I received confirmation that my order had been placed with Volvo and I should expect delivery some 12-13 weeks later. On the 14th May some 10 weeks later I was told that due to circumstances beyond their control Volvo had cancelled their discount terms and they could no longer supply the vehicle. UK Car discounts immediately refunded my deposit. The team at Uk Car Discounts has always been friendly and helpful. However everyone should be aware there are risks when placing an order through UK Car Discounts. This resulted in me taking out a 26k car loan with an independent loan company; I have 4 years of debt and no car to show for it. Disappointed and let down does not even come close. I believe Uk Car Discounts could have tried harder to offer me an alternative solution, but sadly no communication received other than the cancellation.

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - csgmart

Have you tried other brokers?

I have no personal experience but know that several members on here have used companies like Drive the Deal, Carfile and Carwow with great success.

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - Bromptonaut

I have no personal experience but know that several members on here have used companies like Drive the Deal, Carfile and Carwow with great success.

OP is also effectively a cash buyer which may give some leverage with dealers. Alternatively, if PCP/Lease price gives a better discount you could take the deal and settle straight away.

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - csgmart

OP is also effectively a cash buyer which may give some leverage with dealers. Alternatively, if PCP/Lease price gives a better discount you could take the deal and settle straight away.

Agreed

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - skidpan

Carfile do big discounts on Volvo XC60's, between £4400 and £7000 depending on model.

They take no deposit from the buyer, they simply introduce you to the dealer who places the order and takes the deposit. Just like buying from your local dealer but without the hassle of trying to get a better price.

Any manufacturer deposit and finance schemes are available so there is the oportunity to get an even better deal.

Just bought our 3rd car from them, would not use anywhere else (providing they sold the brand I wanted).

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - SLO76
“This resulted in me taking out a 26k car loan with an independent loan company; I have 4 years of debt and no car to show for it.“

Call them, get an early settlement figure and pay it off with the money that’s sitting unused. It will cost you a small amount in interest but you won’t have to pay off 4yrs worth. I hope you got a good deal on the loan as you can borrow from under 3% APR at most high street banks.
Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - KJP 123

Is this how it works? Internet broker puts 5-10 orders together and gets fleet discount off dealer. Manufacturer does not believe it is a fleet order and won’t give fleet discount.

You can buy a decent (used) car for a lot less than 26k so I would not have spent money I did not have on a depreciating item.

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - Gibbo_Wirral

This resulted in me taking out a 26k car loan with an independent loan company; I have 4 years of debt and no car to show for it.

I don't understand what the problem is. Just buy the car elsewhere with the money you have.

Unless you were only prepared to buy from there?

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - concrete

I leased my XC60 from Volvo through a Volvo dealer. Ordered with deposit in late January and collected early March, plus a few extras. All went well. Dealer (Marshalls) were excellent and very helpful. The lease is costing less than 3 years predicted depreciation so it was an easy choice. I did a lot of homework before the deal and am happy with my choice. Simply return the car after 3 years in good condition and start again. No hassle.

Cheers Concrete

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - NARU

...This resulted in me taking out a 26k car loan with an independent loan company; I have 4 years of debt and no car to show for it... .

You can normally withdraw from finance deals in the first 14 days, so you should be able to return the money. There could be a small charge for the interest during the 14 days.

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - TheGentlemanThug

I was told that due to circumstances beyond their control Volvo had cancelled their discount terms and they could no longer supply the vehicle.

Given that Volvo were supplying the vehicle and offering the discount, I wonder how the circumstances were beyond their control? Surely they created the circumstances?!

Volvo XC60 - The Hazard's of buying a car online - Bromptonaut

Given that Volvo were supplying the vehicle and offering the discount, I wonder how the circumstances were beyond their control? Surely they created the circumstances?!

I think OP means it was beyond control of his supplier. IIRC there's a bit of a running skirmish with discounters and manufacturers over things like bulk discounts.