Peugeot 206 1.4 SW 2006 - Knocking noise from rear of car - KCSRenault

Hello,

My Mother has a peugeot 206 SW 2006, the car has done 84,000 miles and she has had it from two years old. The car has been looked after by the local peugeot dealer, until recently when they started to show less interest in looking after it. So it had its mot and service elsewhere and has needed nothing since. However she now has a new car and wanted to give this one to my youngest sister. However I took it for a drive today and there was a slight knocking noise from the rear. I jacked the car up however could not see or feel anything obvious wrong with the rear suspension. The exhaust is not loose etc. DO these rear axles go as badly as the peugeot 206 hatchback? Or is there something else it might be? THe car is worth very little so if its axle is gone, it will be cubed.

Any advice most appreciated,

Peugeot 206 1.4 SW 2006 - Knocking noise from rear of car - Andrew-T

Surely anything seriously wrong with the suspension should show up at the MoT ? You could try a different tester in case your regular one is being too friendly ? Could be movement in the exhaust ?

Peugeot 206 1.4 SW 2006 - Knocking noise from rear of car - KCSRenault

Thanks Andrew,

I took it to another local mechanic, whom we know quite well and he confirmed the worst. There is play in the rear nearside bushes/pins etc on the axle. With the value of the car so low, mother has decided to scrap it. Thanks for the help anways,

Peugeot 206 1.4 SW 2006 - Knocking noise from rear of car - liammcl

just in passing...
my axlwe 106 has the same problem..
and it went so bad that the inner wheel started to rub on the arch..
But there was no knocking noise ever ....
hth
Liam

Peugeot 206 1.4 SW 2006 - Knocking noise from rear of car - Peter.N.

Its not to difficult to replace the bearings if you have a bit of diy experience.

and easy to replace the rear axle too
which I did,
£30 for a 2nd hand one from ebay..
all good so far.

ps to the OP,
I wouldn't scrap it, as most cars will have play..they're known for it berlingos , 106s too.
my hunch is the knock is something seperate, and minor
and the "play" in the axle, isn't a concern.

I used mine for 5 years with with "play" , no problems at all.
The knock could be as Andrew says exhaust... I had that when the exhaust rubbers were the wrong size.

I personally wouldn't send the 206 to the scrappers for that, as there's probably nothing wrong .

ps turn up the radio :)

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 25/05/2018 at 14:20