Citroen C3 2005 - ABS warning light and no OBD codes - nmgtn

I've had the ABS warning light come on a couple of days ago. It has happened once before about a year ago, but after a day or so, it went away again so I put it down to something getting unseated by a bump in the road or something and didn't worry about it.

This time around, the warning light has stayed on for a few days now so I'm starting to take it more seriously. It also coincided with the start of the hotter weather this week so I figured it may be heat-related and was hoping it might go away again once the weather cooled down - it hasn't.

I haven't done anything around the brakes or wheels recently so I don't think I've knocked a sensor or anything.. The last work done on the car was a new clutch a few weeks ago, but I didn't have this warning light appear until the last few days. There's been no change in noises etc that I've been able to detect.

I've connected an OBD-II reader to try and find out what's wrong in more detail, but it shows no codes, even though the ABS warning light is on. Are there faults that might be occuring but don't generate a code? Or is it more likely to be my code reader at fault?

Cheers for your help!

Citroen C3 2005 - ABS warning light and no OBD codes - hardway

Definately your reader at fault.

Any french vehicle has to be diagnosed with factory diagnostics,

in your case Lexia.

Or Bosch KTS is capeable.

Very few others give reliable information.

I see - so will a general OBD-II reader only show me major error codes and not the specifics?

I have been able to read out RPM, MPH, temperature etc data from the OBD-II port using a generic (not Citroen-specific) logger in the past, so I thought the car supported normal OBD-II, but I haven't ever used it for fault-finding so it looks like I might have thought wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Citroen C3 2005 - ABS warning light and no OBD codes - elekie&a/c doctor

Basic Obd 2 requirements are for powertrain only (engine ).You are going to need a more comprehensive scanner that covers other systems.Ie Abs and airbag etc. Something like this will do the job;www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-KTS-200-vehicle-system-sc...c

Citroen C3 2005 - ABS warning light and no OBD codes - Railroad.

EOBD (or OBD II as it's known in North America, and introduced in 1996) is a standard for engine emission data only. This was agreed by motor manufacturers and other motoring organisations, where previously different manufacturers used different software, interfaces and fault codes. It came into legislation in the UK on 1st January 2001 for petrol engines, and 1st January 2004 for diesels, and uses one of a few standard protocols. An EOBD scantool cannot be used for any of the vehicle systems such as ABS, Airbag, Instruments, HVAC, etc, other than engine emission data. It also cannot be used for engine specific data. You need a more specific scantool to do what you want to do.

Citroen C3 2005 - ABS warning light and no OBD codes - Gibbo_Wirral

I see - so will a general OBD-II reader only show me major error codes and not the specifics?

Sometimes not even the codes.

I've done some tests with various scanners on my Peugeot with a known EGR, diesel heater sensor, and glow plug faults and only Lexia picked up these fault codes.

Google "Planet owners map" to find someone with the kit locally who can do you a diagnostic.

But first thing I would do is check the ABS fuse and wiring to the ABS unit. On older Peugeots these both are common issues with ABS faults, followed by the rear sensor gap issue.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 11/05/2018 at 13:51

Thanks for the advice, all - very helpful.

I did manage to borrow a friend's Autel AL619 that said it was compatible. It was able to read the code - showed C1350 Recirculation Pump. Not something I think I can deal with so I'll take it to someone more capable shortly (who has the proper diagnostics too).

In the meantime, I've tried the fuses I can get to - have now realised that two of the MAXI fuses are also for the ABS system but I struggled to get access to them. I've since found some more tips for getting to the MAXI fuses on the C3 (citroenc3owners.com/tips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/c3-...l), so will have another go.