Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - Voltaire

First post so here goes.

I like the look of a RAV4 a dealer is selling in the midlands. It's a 2015, 2.0 diesel, manual, business model.

To be honest I'm blowing hot and cold and after giving this a test drive and been happy with it, despite the odd scratch or three I'm nearly ready to part with the best part of 15k. The Toyota does have it's full 3 service history stamps, 1st MOT with no advisories and seems a straight SUV. Just like to enquire if any others have any advice when buying this model or have any stories good or bad around these 2015 RAVs (or if anybody has any thoughts on another estate/SUV I should take a look at I'd appreciate any guidance).

We don't change our motors often (current BMW3 we've had for 18 years) and want reliability in a bigger estate/SUV type car above all else. The wife is getting real 'ancy as the 3 series is getting crankier than her, the repairs have started and the BMW has developed one real nice oil leak (though this beauty owes me nothing after all this time - unlike the other 'beauty').

Thanks for any replies.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - SLO76
Solid and generally reliable motors (though the 2.2 is much less so) but they can suffer DPF issues so buy only if you’re doing regular longer distance runs. They come with an excellent 5yr 100k manufacturer warranty but this will only remain valid if it has been serviced properly in line with Toyota’s guidelines so buy only with a full Toyota main dealer service history and preferably from a Toyota dealers approved used stock as they have the best cars. Ignore any salesman who tells you the warranty is still current without those main dealer stamps, they’re lying.

If it’s coming from elsewhere I’d want to verify the service record hasn’t been faked by googling the number of the servicing Toyota agent and calling to check they have actually seen the thing. Don’t call the number on the stamp. Faked service records are very common these days as they add value to cars while clocking mileages is much harder to get away with.

As for alternatives at this money Honda’s CRV is bigger and more practical while it’s 2wd 1.6 diesel will exceed 60mpg on longer runs and cost only £20 to tax if you opt for the S or SE models. It pulls better than you’d expect and looks a bit nicer in my opinion plus resale is easy thanks to the low running costs. Warranty is only 3yrs but get an approved used example from a Honda dealer and you’ll get a years manufacturer backed warranty anyway.

Clutch judder from cold is the only big issue on these so drive it from cold to see if it goes away after the first couple of uses. The DPF can also cause problems apparently according to HJ reviews but I’ve never had any bother in 4yrs nor has anyone else I’ve known with one or anyone in the trade I’ve spoken to. But again don’t buy a modern diesel if you’re not doing enough miles to allow a regular DPF regen.

Another option at this money would be a Mazda 6 Estate with the excellent 2.0 Skyactiv petrol engine. These are good on fuel (45-50mpg) great to drive, spacious and nice to look at. The petrol motor has no vices and should run without trouble we’ll into six figures. The diesels however have a nasty reputation for problems.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/05/2018 at 07:09

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - nellyjak

Totally agree with Slo's summation and advice...The Rav 4 is a great car, but only buy the diesel if your motoring needs/requirements justify it..otherwise buy the petrol version. They have very few issues.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - Steveieb
Could be the one that my friend traded in if its white 2wd and for sale at the main dealer in Northampton.
If so I know the history.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies fellas, appreciate all your advice.

Yep this RAV has it's stamps from the delaer I'm thinking of buying from, so it was sold by them serviced by them and then traded in to them after 3 years (19k on the clock). (It's red Steve not white so not your mates, but it'd be great to speak to the previous owner of a vehicle).

DPF issues always niggle at my buying a diesel - this'd be my first but the petrol premium for some models seem high. We'd be doing probably 10k with a longish 100 mile motorway run once a week and piddlin' supermarket runs in between - is that enough? Saw a nice diesel Verso from a local main dealer (I've read on one of your ealier posts SOL that you like them), boxy but practical and I might test drive it this afternoon.

Also did see a 2016 C-Max at a decent price and I do have a soft spot for Fords being of the Capri MK2 generation, but of course there's the 1.0 ecoboost problem. Any thoughts on these?

I need practical and reliable - the other half wants color and style but she's getting so fed up with my pondering she's now in the 'just get what you want, but just get one' phase, so my pondering has finally paid off.

Edited by Voltaire on 10/05/2018 at 12:53

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - SLO76
Verso is a good car, cheaper to buy and run in general but a bit awkward to look at. A Mazda CX-5 with the Skyactiv petrol motor is also another good one. I’d leave the Ford 1.0 Ecoboost or 1.6 TDCi but the 1.6 Ecoboost is based on the older Yamaha designed Zetec-SE which has no real issues if you can find a Ford using it.
Verso is a good car, cheaper to buy and run in general but a bit awkward to look at. A Mazda CX-5 with the Skyactiv petrol motor is also another good one. I’d leave the Ford 1.0 Ecoboost or 1.6 TDCi but the 1.6 Ecoboost is based on the older Yamaha designed Zetec-SE which has no real issues if you can find a Ford using it.

Thanks for the reply SLO, that Mazda CX-5 looks a good choice, not many in our area (Merseyside) but some around. Not many of those C-Max 1.6 125 Zetecs also but there is one in Wigan I might go to.

Off to see the Verso, you're right about the looks though, I'm going to have to blindfold her.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - MGspannerman

I had a 63 reg 2.2 diesel auto that I bought at 10 months old and then traded in last February with 6 months left on the warranty and 70k on the clock. The 2.2 is not the most free revving or powerful of diesels but the well known head gasket problmes were sorted out a while back. I had only one issue with it and that was an injector fault. This was replaced under warranty and other than that it was just tyres (I got 30+k from a set) and front discs and pads. It was bought as we needed to have reliable, go anywhere transport as sole carers for an elderly relative two hours away, if there was the phone call and snow on the ground we still had to get there.

I found it to be very reliable, like the past five Toyotas I have had, and excellent service from the main dealer just four miles away. It was also very comfortable, heated leather, and acres of space. The rear leg room, we are a tall family, was very good indeed. Lots of cubby and storage space and a surprisingly good stereo system, bluetooth etc set up. At first I found it very noisy thanks to the OEM Bridgestones, but after much research I siwtched to Nexen and then replaced with the same again. They were excellent tyres. MPG was around 37 average never less than 35 and rarely above 42.

I did find it a bit agricultural in terms of turning circle, ride quality and size - these are big cars - but still perfectly acceptable. The interior plastics and so on are somewhat dowdy. I eventually traded it with dieselgate and dpf in mind as values were under pressure as the miles piled on, it was due a service and front and rear brakes and circumstances had changed with the passing of our relative and no imperative for whatever the weather transport. I now have an Avensis Touring Sports and have to say I do prefer it. Much quieter, smoother, more economical and calm under pressure and easier to handle in tight spaces. but of course not as much space.

Would I buy another one? Well, I certainly wouldnt rule it out if needs dictated. When I was looking all the journos tipped the CX5, but then when you read user reviews from people who had spent their own cash it was a slightly different story. Obviously the now infamous Mazda dpf issue as well as wheel alignment and brake issues and indifferent dealers. I was happy with my purchase then but would review the market and take a close look at the Sportage as well as a petrol CX5 and one or two others. Driving Toyotas and a Rav4 in particular might be boring and middle of the road, but they are well built, reliable vehicles as consumer surveys testify. In other countries (Central America, Aus/NZ) I have seen many more of them compared to here, in fact they are ubiquitous in some places. You wont go wrong buying one but if you seek automotive thrills, and are prepared to pay for them, other brands are available. Its a head rather than heart decision in effect. If buying from a main dealer I would want it to be in perfect condition for the prices they charge, and with the downer on diesel at the moment there must be some wiggle room on price.

Thanks for that comprehensive history of your dealings with your RAV4 MG, interesting reading. The good lady mentioned the bumpy ride and noise when we test drove it and I thought as you've said maybe a tyre change might help that. I have a (annoying maybe?) habit of pulling over and talking to owners I see on the road and all have given their RAVs a glowing report and to be honest the reliability of the whole brand is whats driving me onto these dealers forecourts.

I understand the diesel mess were in but I'm telling my brain to shut up and letting the heart make the decisions here. At my time of life I'm allowed a mistake. I did take a test drive in a diesel Verso today and it was damm fine, bit 'orrible to look at but Tardis like on the inner...and when that salesman slid back the pano roof and the sunshine poured in, the little heart skipped a beat. (He did say Toyota are dropping the Verso and are bringing out a 7 seat Avensis).

So still looking and test driving...but I've a feeling whatever I get it'll have a Toyota badge on it. I've visted 4 of their dealerships along with Ford, Honda, VAG, Hyundai and others and find the Toyota salesmen friendly, informative and not pushy at all. Decent coffee and biscuits too.

Thanks.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - Palcouk

If you buy any diesel and assuming your mileage warrants a diesel, and you intend to keep the vehicle, you will have to anticipate the greater service costs down the line with the diesel emmisions controls, when they require replacing or cleaning

Hi Palcouk, yep you're right, DPF, injector and etc. problems are going to have to be budgeted into the equation. There does seem to be quite a same model petrol / diesel price gap on some second hand cars with the diesel equivalent sometimes quite a lot cheaper but down the road I might have to stump up those saved pounds in repair bills.

Thanks.

Just a final update to this thread.

I did purchase the RAV4 and to am very happy with it.

(Though that last drive to the dealership was a tear jerker as the BMW was part of family brood.)

The dealer was great (RRG in Huddersfield) and would certainly buy from them again. No pressure, long test drives, and happily leaves you to give the car the once over. Didn't take out the GAP and other extras which wasn't a problem to them. The few scratches and marks we found were put right to the extent that the car bodywork to us looks practically new. The car itself is huge but reminds me in lots of ways of driving a Ford Ranger which I did for 5 years fixing radio systems on remote farms. That Ranger was so basic but I fell in love with that driving position and cabin space.

The runs up to the Lake District and in and around the villages have given us around 45 mpg which I'm happy with. The 6 speed box is great and the engine has lots of grunt for us. The dash looks like someone found a box of bits from the 80s and threw it at the dashboard but hey I love it that's my era! Any downsides?... well as has been said these Bridgestones are noisy and will be changed in the future with less noisy rubber. Also I wish the car had a flashing indicator that told you the car was locked and alarm was on like BMWs have just underneath the interior mirror. The interior plastics are hard in some places and the 'clunk' of doors, bonnet and boot don't have the weight and sound satisfaction of the BMW.

All in all we're sure we've made the right choice depite dpf and dieselgate. To be honest this purchase was all about the fun to be had and if I get up in the morning with a buzz in my belly thinking of where we can go next then the RAV was the right choice.

Thanks for all your input here fellas. Happy motoring.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - corax

Any downsides?... well as has been said these Bridgestones are noisy and will be changed in the future with less noisy rubber.

Bridgestones are known to be noisy. I have found Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance to be quiet, also Uniroyal Rainsports are an excellent quiet tyre and cheaper, both very grippy. They are softer and won't last as long but worth it for the performance.

Interesting about a new seven seater Avensis to replace the Verso, I can't find any info. If it rivals cars like Ford Galaxy and Renault Espace then it would be a very good alternative.

Thanks for the trye info corax I'll take a note of those for the future, also the Nexen brand mentioned earlier.

The replacement Verso was mentioned by the Toyota dealer in Liverpool as he had a 2017 Verso on his forecourt we were interested in. It was a spacious car and had a great sunroof. I wasn't so keen on the dials lay out nor the looks but hits the mark on practicality.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - MGspannerman
Yes, the Bridgestones are noisy. I was very pleased indeed with the Nexen SU1s I had fitted, around £92.50 each if I recollect correctly. Funnily enough my first choice was the Uniroyal Rainsport but I couldn’t locate them when I needed them. I wish you well with the Rav, it did a good job for us in the time we had it with the usual near faultless reliability we have come to expect from Toyota. We took some pain on the trade in but that was due to dieselgate rather than anything else,
Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - miroku1949

I have a 100,000 mile seven year old 2.2 Rav4, apart from normal consumables it hat cost me nothing apart from servicing every 10,000. I bought it when it was three years old with 36,000 on the clock.

I find Barum 4x4 excellent as an all round tyre and they are rated at 71db but the Rav is a noisy car due to road noise.

...but the Rav is a noisy car due to road noise.

After test driving other SUV types I think you're spot on there but you know I think that's one of the reasons I chose it. The rest - if it makes any sense - were just too comfortable.

Toyota RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Purchase - miroku1949

I know exactly what you mean, that's why I like mine, plain and simple.