dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - colric

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/99911/has-a-hard...r-

In spite of HJ's sound advice to this reader; is hard wiring a dash cam a risk free option?

I have considered getting a dash cam but do not want more loose wiring adding to the sat nav wiring across the dasboard.

Edited by colric on 02/05/2018 at 13:33

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - Sulphur Man

Im in the same boat. I dont want wires, I dont want something obvious stuck to the screen enticing a possible theft, and I dont want to be fiddling with stuff before starting.

I want:

Setup and forget. It starts with the car is started, and stops when it's turned off.

Discrete. Housed in the existing RVM, or close-by without being obvious

No trailing wires

I've googled a bit, and not found something worthy yet. Will contact an installer next I think

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - Brit_in_Germany

If it is hard-wired in, it is a good idea to include a battery saver switch which switches the camera off if the battery voltage dips below a threshold.

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - elekie&a/c doctor

Any dash cam needs to be fitted in a location where the lens can see ahead clearly.So that means it needs to be installed somwhere in the wiper sweep and away from any existing safety systems installed on the screen.Also remeber some screens have an anti dazzle section at the top.The power supply wire will be partly visible ,but if run neatly across the top of the screen and down the A pillar ,should be no problem. My dash cam is powered via a hard wire kit connected to the ignition .As soon as the key is switched on,the camera fires up. You only need a battery saver switch/smart module if the camera is wired to a permanent 12 volt supply.

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - Ian D
Do you have an anti glare strip at the top of your screen? My Honda CRV has a dotted strip along the top of the screen where I have mounted a Viofo A119S v2, with the lens just protruding down below the dotted glare strip. Cable tucked into the roof lining, just tucked just into the A pillar rubber seal to not interfere with airbag, and a IGN/ACC fuse. It is very unlikely you will interfere with any other systems.
You really can barely see the dashcam and is a neat solution if you have a glare strip that is dark enough to hide the dash-cam but as Elekie said keep the lens in the wiper swept area.

Edited by Ian D on 03/05/2018 at 06:38

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - Redcar01

Both our cars have dash cams fitted by auto electrician £30 hard wired in with a smart energy box that monitors voltage so it doesnt drain the battery if switched on in park mode.no wires no messing about.

dash cam installations - Hard wired dash cam - TheGentlemanThug

I simply tuck the cable in along the top of the windscreen, down the nearside door, underneath the passenger seat and into the armrest. I have to remember to manually connect and disconnect the cable for each journey as my 12V supply stays on after I switch the engine off, but that quickly becomes habitual.

No installation fee and easier to switch from one car to another.