Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - leef

Hello fellow back roomers,

I'm taking the Mrs and Kids to Franch at the end of May, overnight Car Ferry to Le Havre, then staying in a place Legronne around Normandy. I'm going to be doing two long drives in the week to Disney land Paris (3.5 hours) each way (I know!!). So, the Mondeo is just approaching 10 years old, Full Service History and will be serviced the week before I go. Never had an issue with it.

So all that being said, I want to get a single trip eurpean breakdown cover for the car. Any recomendations? Any to Avoid? I'm with the AA already over here but as I won't be travelling again this year in Europe in my own car just need a single trip.

Also my 1st time driving in France, I've got my European car kit including warning Triangle, NF approved breathaizors / Hi Viz jackets for all occupents, GB Sticket etc etc.

I'll be taking the A84 and A13, any got any experience of the roads? I know A13 is a Toll road, recomendations for Service stops etc? Any general advice as always would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Lee

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - SLO76
Driven in France a couple of times and had not a moments bother. The French are better drivers than the Brits, especially on the motorway and services are far superior. Check the latest regulations (they love to introduce new laws almost daily) check over your car then go and relax. Last time I went it was also in a Mondeo but it cost me all of £300. It made it back and was promptly sold on again for £300.

Sorry I’m no help on breakdown cover but I’d try the AA to see if you can add European cover temporary or even for the year, it might not add much. You’re better with one of the bigger firms anyway who’ve a good level of cover through France. It’s a big place with loads of small rural roads to get lost on.
Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - concrete

Ten years old used to be the limit for standard cover. However I do believe that cover is available for older cars too, albeit more expensive. The AA or RAC etc will be able to tell you this and also what you need in the car to comply with French law.

Driving is a doddle in France. Decent road and away from large urban areas, traffic free. You can get a Sanef electronic toll device, available through their website. very good. We have them for France, Spain and Portugal. Similar to the Dartford Charge system.

Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Cheers Concrete

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - oldroverboy.

www.comparebreakdowncover.co.uk/older-vehicle-brea...x

cars up to 15 years old

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - bathtub tom
will be serviced the week before I go. Never had an issue with it.

I suggest you get it serviced when you get back. Things usually happen after they've been fiddled with.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - focussed

Juat a few reminders:-

HiViz jackets - good - but remember they must be accessible inside the car before you get out, if not and you get controlled you will cop a fine.

The breathalyser thing is such an old bad joke in France - you are supposed to have one but you can't get fined if you don't - it's a long story look it up!

Headlamp deflectors are a good idea too.

And don't forget, the French love paperwork - yours - so make sure to carry it all, driving licence, insurance cert, mot cert, and the original of the V5.

If the car isn't registered in your name carry wtitten permission to use it.

Know the speed limit and stick to it rigidly - the french police and gendarmes are very vigilant on main popular tourist routes.

Speed camera warnings on sat navs are supposed to be disabled, and radar detectors are not legal in france.

And in case you didn't know, there are no speed limit signs entering french towns, the town name sign with the red border is the speed limit sign - 50 kph = 30 mph roughly unless otherwise signed.

Have a safe journey!

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - Brit_in_Germany

If you are going into any cities, check out the situation with regard to needing a "CritAir Vignette".

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - KJP 123

All of the above is good advice.

I think that you need a spare bulb kit – I assume in your pack.

French autoroutes often have sections where the speed limit is less than 130kph and speed cameras are not marked and set at a very low threshold. I got a point doing 117 in a 110 limit.

Wikipedia lists service stops. More frequent than in UK but many are only picnic/wc stops and most of those with fuel don’t offer more than a coffee and sandwich: few as big as UK ones.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - Bilboman

Re: speed limits - in rain the maximum speed drops automatically; no warning signs, you just have to drop down to 110 on the autoroute with the first drops of la pluie. (There's a 10 km/h reduction on other rural roads IIRC).
Some components for RHD cars are notoriously difficult to get abroad, and are sometimes blocked by the franchised garages' computer systems to prevent Jean-Pierre from buying the wrong thing - think of driver's side (RHD) door mirrors and headlamp units. A pair of clip on covers will protect the latter, and you can stick the "Beam benders" or masking tape to the covers rather than the actual headlamp lenses.
Oh,and a RHD clutch cable is a different length to a LHD one - Murphy's law dictates you should carry a spare...

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - expat
Wikipedia lists service stops. More frequent than in UK but many are only picnic/wc stops and most of those with fuel don’t offer more than a coffee and sandwich: few as big as UK ones.

Back in the dim and distant past, when I was travelling in France, there were "Relais Routier" service areas which were for lorry drivers, but which had slap up three course, French long lunches. Beautiful cooking and an experience not to be missed. I suppose they are gone now but they were great in their day.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - Mike H

And in case you didn't know, there are no speed limit signs entering french towns, the town name sign with the red border is the speed limit sign - 50 kph = 30 mph roughly unless otherwise signed.

For anyone else travelling in Europe, the same applies in Austria and Germany, the town sign automatically means it's a 50kph limit unless signposted otherwise. And confusingly, here in Austria, there is sometimes an "end of 50kph" attached to a town sign! This simply means that a 50kph limit set by the local authority ends, but the automatic, country-wide, 50kph in a town kicks in.

And Austria are very fond of mobile and fixed speed cameras, it's easy to be caught out. In our local town they have recently replaced the old cameras with new setups that can "see" in both directions - and it's a 30kph limit.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - Big John

Not many breakdown companies like older cars.

I have a joint Nationwide flex + account (£13 month)that covers both me and mrs bigjohn inc in Europe. This has covered our cars but we have never called them out abroad although a friend from work called them out in France for a failed starter motor on an old Landrover and all went well. No age limit but your car has to have been properly serviced to the manufacturers schedule(not aure the Landrover was!). My son called them out in the UK after leaving on the lights on our old Octavia - no probs again , with him within 30 mins

www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/fle...r

Overall considering what you get at £156/year for two of you (£78 each) I thingk it's good value as you also get 5% interest up to £2500 (£10+ month) , travel insurance, mobile phone insurance (tested by my son!) and cheap cash withdraw abroad (saves us about £40 / year)

Edited by Big John on 20/04/2018 at 01:54

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - joegrundy

Absolutely essential, I would say, to have breakdown cover - especially with wife and kids with you.

I had an unfortunate experience last year in France, reported here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=119513

Might be worth a read.

It was all unecessary, as it turned out and could have been quickly fixed at roadside but Pierre the Pirate had other ideas.

Your best bet may be to extend your AA cover, but if you're a member of a union or a professional organisation etc. worth checking to see if they have deals. I would ensure that cover included repatriation of you and car if necessary.

Have a good trip.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - leef

Thank you everyone for the sound advise!. Yes, I'd read about keeping the Hi-Viz in the actual car compartment, having them in the boot = fine apparently. The kit I purchased has spare bulb kits etc.

One intresting note that I forgot to mention but Brit_In Germany mentioned was "CritAir Vignette" - I purchased this a couple of weeks ago, very sound advice! its basically a sticker that allows you to drive in and around Paris and other cities (depending on your vehicles emisions!) It only cost me just over 3 Euros but will apparently save you a 117 Euro fine that the Police are more than willing to dish out apparently.

I've rang the AA and got an add on for the year for £58 (haggled down from £84!.)

Thanks again EVERYONE for your advise, apart from the odd grumpy b***** on the forum this is still a fantstic place for advise and good all round people.

Cheers

Lee

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - oldroverboy.

Thanks again EVERYONE for your advise, apart from the odd grumpy b***** on the forum this is still a fantstic place for advise and good all round people.

I didn't say a word....:>)

Remember though, that if you need recovering off the Autoroute, you will have to pay, get a receipt and then the AA will reimburse you.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - Steveieb
Europ assistance and Modial are the two companies that are highly rated but little known except by the professionals .

But I continue to use Nationwide Flex myself and no problems.
Ford Mondeo Mk4 - European Breakdown Cover - General France Driving - joegrundy

"Remember though, that if you need recovering off the Autoroute, you will have to pay, get a receipt and then the AA will reimburse you."

And that your car will initially go to the recovery (depannage) garage. See my previous thread re Pierre the Pirate Mechanic and his grossly overpriced and completely wrong diagnosis. Fight like hell to get the car repatriated to UK and to a garage you trust.