How can we make a company take responsibility - Nigel59
Grandma and granddaughter age 12 were stopped waiting to turn right into home and HGV from Alan Tuers had to take emergency manoeuvre and mounted verge to miss hitting them. You can see video on www.facebook.com/theglen/posts/10215714401683555
The company said we were at fault and that our new car was defective. As you can see in the comments we proved them wrong with more video footage.
The company are behind their driver 100%
Is there anything more we can do?

Edited by Nigel Wood on 11/04/2018 at 00:47

How can we make a company take responsibility - KJP 123

I am not on facebook so can’t view, maybe put on youtube.

If they were stopped I can’t see what sort of defect would have any bearing unless rear lights were not working.

What is it you want to achieve? From what you say GM and GD may have been frightened but no actual physical harm done. If you think HGV driver was driving irresponsibly send video to police.

How can we make a company take responsibility - RobJP

Ok. What exactly do you want them to 'take responsibility' for ?

We all have moments of inattention which could lead to accidents. There is no proof that the driver was on his phone, or drink-driving, or anything other than a few seconds of inatention which, thankfully, and possibly even to their quick thinking and reactions, didn't result in an accident.

It could even reasonably be said that the driver of the white car is partially responsible for the accident. They came to a complete stop on a main road for about 5 seconds before the other car came past them. A reasonably competent driver would have slowed, judging the approaching vehicle's speed whilst doing so, and then completed their turn well before the other vehicle was even anywhere close by. They had no reason to come to a complete stop and wait several seconds before completing their maneuver.

Be careful what you wish for, if you want 'driving standards' examining closely.

How can we make a company take responsibility - Brit_in_Germany

Doesn't the video show the truck clipping the corner of the car? I would be claiming for any damage from the truck's insurance and also passing the video to the police with regard to a charge of driving without due care and attention - the truck driver had several seconds to observe that the car was stationary but still needed to take avoinding action at the last instance. The accident could have been much worse.

How can we make a company take responsibility - alan1302

It could even reasonably be said that the driver of the white car is partially responsible for the accident. They came to a complete stop on a main road for about 5 seconds before the other car came past them. A reasonably competent driver would have slowed, judging the approaching vehicle's speed whilst doing so, and then completed their turn well before the other vehicle was even anywhere close by. They had no reason to come to a complete stop and wait several seconds before completing their maneuver.

That's what I was thinking after watching the video.

Although the lorry driver was at fault as he should have slowed down earlier I think they were expeting the car to have gone accross the road sooner and then that did not leave them enough time to stop.

@ op - you say the lorry company say that your car was defective. What do you mean?

The driver said the back right indicator was not working but it is a new car and you can see it working in the video added to comments
The oncoming car was traveling at 60 mph and wagons and a number of cars pull out of this turning so have to stop to check it is clear before pulling in
How can we make a company take responsibility - alan1302
The oncoming car was traveling at 60 mph and wagons and a number of cars pull out of this turning so have to stop to check it is clear before pulling in

How do you know how fast the oncoming car was?

Also what do you want the lorry company to actually do?

We have lived here for 15 years. I am a HGV class one driver and cars are doing 60+ mph on this stretch. Neighbours have been killed and it is closed on regular occasions due to accidents. I can see by the cameras that the oncoming car is within the speed limit and to cut in front of it when it is approaching at speed upsets those drivers. As we come from the other direction and slow down to turn in we are constantly flashed at and beeping of horns because we have simply wanted to turn into the property. I don’t want to have to go to the police. The company should deal with this and check the driver is up to their standards. When the car pulled into the property the occupants were in tears with shock. The driver puts it on them by saying the indicator was not working not that he thought they were going to turn. He did not see the car stopped for some reason. Obviously there is nothing we can do but thanks to all who have replied and given your prospective on it.
We have lived here for 15 years. I am a HGV class one driver and cars are doing 60+ mph on this stretch. Neighbours have been killed and it is closed on regular occasions due to accidents. I can see by the cameras that the oncoming car is within the speed limit and to cut in front of it when it is approaching at speed upsets those drivers. As we come from the other direction and slow down to turn in we are constantly flashed at and beeping of horns because we have simply wanted to turn into the property. I don’t want to have to go to the police. The company should deal with this and check the driver is up to their standards. When the car pulled into the property the occupants were in tears with shock. The driver puts it on them by saying the indicator was not working not that he thought they were going to turn. He did not see the car stopped for some reason. Obviously there is nothing we can do but thanks to all who have replied and given your prospective on it.

"We do not want to go to the police" even though "Neighbours have been KILLED"

"Obviously nothing we can do".

If the situation is as dangerous as you claim, and the road layout is as dangerous, then there is no valid reason for not involving the police, or the council to do something about the road layout.

Your original question was this "How can we make a company take responsibility". The answer is simple. Involve the Police.

You fail to do so, then you bear some responsibility for any future near misses or accidents. You have claimed that people are DEAD due to previous accidents at this spot.

Unless there is some other reason for not involving the police.

I note that a lot of the replies on facebook recommend involving the police too.

Unless you've got some sort of speed camera set up, you've no idea what speed the oncoming car was doing.

From the second video you've posted (same link as the original video but further down the page), you can clearly see that the person driving the white car would have had brilliant visibility of any cars (or wagons) waiting to pull out at this junction BEFORE coming to a complete standstill.

The fact that the person came to a complete stop where it was not necessary, and failed to use any sort of anticipation, would lead me to seriously question their competence or confidence behind the wheel.

Yes, the wagon driver bears some responsibility for this near miss. But the person driving the white car needlessly put themselves in danger by their own failure to drive in a competent manner.

How can we make a company take responsibility - madf

All I can see is a white car indicating to turn right and then failing to do so and stopping and blocking the road. Dangerous driving.

No wonder you don't want to involve the police- the driver is a menace on today's roads.

How can we make a company take responsibility - Gibbo_Wirral

Video isn't working for me.

But if you think you're in the right, send it to the Daily Mail. They love a good dashcam video and their readers love trolling anyone who is in the wrong - especially a company.

But if you think you're in the right, send it to the Daily Mail. They love a good dashcam video and their readers love trolling anyone who is in the wrong - especially a company.

youtu.be/4flDfv6dwJw showing car had to stop before turning right to let oncoming car pass and to check drive was clear to pull in. Also shows back indicator working which HGV driver said it was not.

youtu.be/rStXQyQ6Avg Showing main road

Edited by Nigel59 on 16/04/2018 at 10:53

youtu.be/4flDfv6dwJw showing car had to stop before turning right to let oncoming car pass and to check drive was clear to pull in. Also shows back indicator working which HGV driver said it was not.

youtu.be/rStXQyQ6Avg Showing main road

Notably, you don't answer any of the other points made.

Like why the driver stopped for about 5 seconds, when they could quite easily have made the maneuver perfectly safely.

Like exactly why you don't want to involve the police, in spite of it being such a deadly stretch of road - you claim that there have been fatalities there, and yet you STILL don't want to involve the police.

I have my suspicions as to the reasons. But I'll keep those to myself.

How can we make a company take responsibility - Brit_in_Germany

If yiu do take some action, make sure you send the original version and not a time-edited one.