Driving Auction car with No MOT - Jack thomas
Hi there, i’ve just won an car at an auction and it hasnt got MOT or Tax.
The option of getting it delivered by a transportor is quite long and expensive and i was wondering if i was able to drive it myself to a test centre near my house.
Now i’ve been reading that its legal to drive a car withot mot/tax to a pre booked test but i was wondering if there are any restrictions behind. I was planning on pre-booking a test and drive it there from the auction house but the only problem is, i live roughly 3 hours away from the auction place so would that be a problem? Even though i’d be driving the car straight to the MOT test center?

Thanks
Driving Auction car with No MOT - Bromptonaut

Answer moved to motoring as OP is double posted.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 08/04/2018 at 11:22

Driving Auction car with No MOT - Cris_on_the_gas

Why can't you book it for an MoT at test station near to auction site. Once it passes if you have V5C then you could tax it online whilst at MoT station.

Driving Auction car with No MOT - Middleman

There is no restriction on the distance between where the vehicle begins and ends its journey to the MoT station. The only requirement is that the test must be pre-booked and you must drive directly there.

There were two cases I came across which challenged this. The first involved a driver who set out to drive from Birmingham to London for a test. He had recently moved to Birmingham. A garage in London took care of his car and he wanted that to continue, including them carrying out his MoT. He was stopped in Birmingham, explained the situation but was issued with a fixed penalty for no MoT. The officer insisted the testing station had to be within a "reasonable" distance and did not even bother to check with the London garage that they had the car booked in (nor, it seems, with the relevant legislation). He declined the FP, took the matter to court and was acquitted.

The second involved a driver who was on his way to a pre-booked MoT but called at a petrol station to buy a sandwich and some cigarettes. He was stopped in the petrol station (by an officer doing the same as he was) and he too received a FP. The officer's contention was that, having stopped in the petrol station (which was on the direct route to the MoT station) he had not driven "directly" there. He too took the matter to court and was acquitted.

So, just make sure you pre-book the test (and try to have some confirmation of it such as a text message) and drive by the most direct route to it. But make sure you have insurance.

PS - I've just seen the duplicate question in "Motoring Matters". A few of the answers there are complete nonsense.

Edited by Middleman on 09/04/2018 at 16:41