VW Golf mk7 2013 1.2tsi - 1.2TSI P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical - was8v

Got a 2013 Golf (100ps) just out of das welt used warranty. Low miles ~45k full VWSH

EPC light is on and car is down on power.

Breakdown read codes and came out with: P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical malfunction

On a drive-by you can hear the wastegate actuator rattling.

Now from googling I know VAG has had a nightmare with these 1.2TSI, variously fitting spacers and software updates to actuators under TSB, even replacing turbos and actuators as one unit as goodwill even out of warranty.

However this all seems to be for pre-2012 cars, this is a 2013 car.

Do I take it to VW and pay their diagnostic fee in the hope of a goodwill fix or do I just get an actuator and fit it myself...?

Edited by was8v on 07/03/2018 at 08:09

VW Golf mk7 2013 1.2tsi - 1.2TSI P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical - elekie&a/c doctor

You need to be careful here. The charge pressure actuator is only available on some of the turbos fitted.Otherwise you will need a complete turbo with actuator. Also needed will be diagnostic equipment to set up the system and you need to make sure that the latest engine software is loaded. Try for a goodwill fix,or take it to a good VW indy repairer. Where in the world are you located?

VW Golf mk7 2013 1.2tsi - 1.2TSI P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical - was8v

Thanks, I decided to book it in for diagnosis at £60 as per vw website.

Except the dealer wants to charge £85... Not the price on the website! Service agent told me to show him the website when I go.... It's there on vw.co.uk under fixed priced servicing!

Will see what they say. If there is no goodwill on a likely £1600 bill then I have found a reconditioned turbo+actuator assembly for €300, and will fit it myself.

I'm north lancs / south lakes.

Edited by was8v on 07/03/2018 at 22:13

OK so it turns out on this engine code CJZA they can just swap out the actuator.

And this costs £165 for the part and £153 for the labour.

I was surprised they had the part on the shelf ready to fit.....

I asked my dealer if there was any goodwill given it was such a new car and low miles and they came back with giving me the part for free but charging labour.

The service advisor let slip there is a TSB out for this, so I rather suspect I could have negotiated harder, but I needed the car really tomorrow I I paid up for the labour.

And yes they charged £85 for diagnosis too as they are "not a participating dealer" in the vw fixed price servicing scheme.

To my surprise the CJZA engine is also a belt driven cam, I thought when buying it they were all chain driven! Well it turns out the belt needs changing at 5 years.... I chose a chain engine to avoid regular large bills....

Edited by was8v on 14/03/2018 at 20:54

VW Golf mk7 2013 1.2tsi - 1.2TSI P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical - elekie&a/c doctor
Think yourself lucky it hasn’t got a chain.On a VW engine they are normally worn out at 40k miles.
VW Golf mk7 2013 1.2tsi - 1.2TSI P334B Charge pressure actuator mechanical - madf

"OK so it turns out on this engine code CJZA they can just swap out the actuator.

And this costs £165 for the part and £153 for the labour.

I was surprised they had the part on the shelf ready to fit....."

So a common fault then..

Edited by madf on 15/03/2018 at 06:40

The plot thickens.

On the drive home from being fixed, car seems ok, then the EPC light comes on after 20 mins and we are down power again.

Took the car back yesterday on the off chance as I was passing (EPC came on again after 10 mins and down on power).

They had it in for half an hour, claimed they missed a software update to go with the new actuator. Great.

On the drtive home EPC on again after 10 mins and down on power.

Booked in again for next week. Seems these actuators are rather problematic.

Dealer has decided a new turbo is needed.

Yet to see what goodwill is to be offered.