Views on Ford Edge - NAthan smith
Morning
Anyone had any experiences with the Ford Edge? My local dealer has a 66 plate sport model with loads of toys inc heated front and rear seats , leather, f and r camera pan roof, radar cruise control. 210ps
2.0 TDCi looks quite tempting....
Views on Ford Edge - Metropolis.
Nice cars, shame about the gearbox.
Is that the manual or auto?
Views on Ford Edge - bazza

Big American SUV built over there and Ford's attempt to capture some of the big SUV European market. From what I've read, it's a soft riding comfortable thing and fairly decent, although obviously not a sports car. Not my kind of thing at all but worth looking at if you're in the market for something like that. Powershift has a terrible reputation, no idea if there are trans issues with this model. But it's certainly a big thing with a lot of "presence". I understand 30 to 35 mpg off this site's data.

Views on Ford Edge - badbusdriver

This will be referring to the 'powershift' dual clutch automated manual.

Views on Ford Edge - RobJP

The 210 hp version you're looking at is only available with the powershift auto.

Yes it is an auto what are the common problems with this box. Drive the car today, very nice and lots of toys. Disappointed it didn’t have xenon lights which would make it look better (drls). Just not sure if I can give up the Beemer?!
Views on Ford Edge - focussed

I would be vaguely interested in this concept, but with a 3.5 litre V6 petrol + slushbox auto + awd - not a 2 litre diesel - shame.

Views on Ford Edge - Sulphur Man

The Nissan Murano awaits

Views on Ford Edge - focussed

Dodge Durango?

One or two about over here.

Views on Ford Edge - SLO76
Google is your friend. Quick search will show up loads of cases of Powershift failure and the class action Ford lost recently in the US. It’s a hugely complex system, one no car manufacturer can produce reliably without adding unacceptable extra weight and cost to their vehicles. It works in agricultural machinery, trucks and buses but cost and weight are less of a constraint. Most manufacturers have given up on it, even the Japs can’t make it work. Both Honda and Toyota tried and failed switching back to conventional torque converter boxes or CVT’s.

I had a look at the Edge at the ignition festival in Glasgow last year and found it cheaply made, poorly packaged and overpriced. In the states it’s piled high and sold cheap but over here they’re trying to reach premium prices and it’s just not up to the standard. Never driven it however but I’d stick with manual if you can find one and buy as cheaply as possible as depreciation will be horrific. Not a good option if you want something entertaining to drive nor would any SUV suit to be honest.
I think this is a good point here about the pricing. To be honest a car at this price I would expect to have xenon lights for example. Having thought about it, the quality of the materials are not great
Views on Ford Edge - Avant

If I remember right, you have a newish 3-series. The Edge will be a big floppy barge in comparison. I haven't tried either but if you need a big Ford, the S-Max is apparenty much better to drive (also 2.0 TDCI).

I don't see the Edge ever being a big seller over here, so although a year-old one will have lost a lot of value already, there's more to come. Perhaps worth considering only if you intend to kep it long-term....but if you want a change from a 3-series, you'll soon want a change from an Edge.

Maybe a newish Mercedes estate (C or E) would provide the change you want. If it were me, I'd go for a petrol or anything with 6 cylinders, as the 2.1 Mercedes diesel, only recently replaced, is an unrefined old nail.

Good memory Avant. I like the c class and new e class in amg spec. Think a new e class may be still be a bit expensive. I like the A6 in s line guise aswell and may wait for the new A6 to be released later this year to get a deal. My only gripe is the interior of the A6 is now a bit dated especially in comparison with the merc
Views on Ford Edge - argybargy

I'm in a good position to say "don't touch anything with Powershift".

I had one in a B Max, and although the problems with my car (vibration on acceleration, and a noise from the gearbox, whilst driving up hills, like a bag of spanners dancing in a tin box) were occasional rather than typical, lots of people have had an horrendous time with the dual clutch nonsense. Including the clutch sometimes proving totally unable to select the right gear for the conditions, leaving more than one driver stranded in front of approaching traffic whilst crossing a busy dual carriageway.

Follow the advice given to me, which I ignored. Look for something else.

Views on Ford Edge - Happy Blue!

Indeed. I had two rental Fords with Powershift and I didn't get on with it. Using it in manual mode, on a twisty road with lots of ups adn downs, it kept changing up automatically if i didn't change gear manually or touch the thottle after a few seconds. Also felt very fragile in stop-start traffic.

Views on Ford Edge - pd

I did a lot of miles in one last summer in the States and it was very good. However, like a lot of US cars what worked very well in the USA might not work quite so well over here. It felt very much like a typical domestic market Ford and while a slushmatic petrol worked well (and drank fuel) I think it might struggle as a concept which works in the UK.

Views on Ford Edge - argybargy

Have to admit, on the few occasions I did use the "S" or Sport mode, it worked well. Clearly it's designed to change gear automatically if you push the revs too high in manual mode, but being a fairly conservative driver I never took it that far. Something like that in a less complex box would no doubt be a useful addition.