£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Sarah ed

Hi we are looking for a small family car,with low running costs,something reliable would be great. We have got £1500 budget,can anyone please advice what to look for or what to avoid? any help is appreciated,thank you

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - badbusdriver

How small are we talking about here, fiesta sized, focus sized?.

Either way, for this low a budget, there are no real winners or losers, buy on condition and (if there is any) history. Make full use of the ability to check the MOT history to look at advisories on previous MOT's to get an indication of what you may be faced with next time. Look for something simple, naturally aspirated petrol engine, manual gearbox, and with a long MOT.

Thank you very much for the fast reply. There ar eway way too many options online,lots of new ones with high milage,and lots of old ones with low milage. I dont really know cars,i dont know what to look for. I dont know which brands and models are good and which ones causes more problems :(

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Andrew-T

A £1500 car and reliability are not an impossible combination, but there will be no guarantees, at least not that you will be able to call on. Any car at that price will be 8 to 10 years old, and need careful examination. Dealers selling at that level will want to make a decent profit, so they will have got it very cheaply. A good bet may be from a private seller, who will not be looking to make money, just to sell on.

Any car you buy at that price is cheap because it may need work doing. It may not, in which case you will have bought wisely (or luckily). Take your time and shop around.

If you give us an idea where in the country you are, we could link some adverts for potential options. And again, how small a car do you want/need?

Hi again thank you very much for all the replies,they are all very much appreciated.So sorry i should have mentioned it before we are in Barrow in furness,Cumbria and can travel up to 40-50 miles.

I don't have the time to go through MOT histories, but here are some possibilities in your neck of the wood (i used the premier inn postcode)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170906902...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180115276...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180106251...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180114275...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180209357...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180202333...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170915932...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171101084...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180105248...1

The Hyundai accent (7th car) seems particularly good value, the benefit of being a dull and unfashionable car!. All of these SHOULD prove reliable, but as hinted at earlier, at this budget and age, there are no guarantee's. It really depends on what kind of life the car has led and how well it has been looked after. Higher miles, within reason, is not necessarily a bad thing, as lots of short journeys are worse for wear and tear.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/02/2018 at 19:51

Here are some more from Ebay

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-55-Toyota-Yaris-1-0-VVT-i-...G

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-HONDA-JAZZ-1-2-DSI-S-5D...3-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-FORD-FUSION-1-4-FUSION-...U

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-6-2005MY-LX/202102...D

The yaris is a great little car, this one being the MK2 as opposed to the MK1 on the Autotrader links. Very reliable, economical and safe. Sliding rear seats make it versatile too. But as this is the 1.0, it is going to be a bit slower on the main roads. The fusion is a very under rated car, we had one for 3 years back in 2005. Basically a slightly taller, boxier and roomier fiesta.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - SLO76
The best cars at this sort of money are all to be found on the drives or in the garages of private sellers. Look for something that’s been owned for more than 3yrs and has a full service history. Condition and history are more important than age, mileage or make at this end of the spectrum. Most dealer stock at this price point is utter trash, with exception to the occasional main dealer car that was too nice to send to auction.

Spotted a few possibilities but again I haven’t the time to check Mot histories and you’ll need to take someone who really knows what they’re doing with you when you view even if this means paying a mechanic to help.

The Corolla at the end looks particularly good. Very fresh in the pictures and has an excellent service history. There’s no timing belt to worry about on these, something that is very likely to be overdue on most other cars at this money and an additional £300-£400 cost on top of the purchase price. Very tough little cars and an easy 40mpg plus they’re easy to sell on again. If you can I’d look at this first and be ready to snap it up if it’s as good as it looks. You can’t mess around at this price range, they go quick.

Check it’s not a trader trying to dodge his legal obligations by asking about “the car” when you call. A dealer will ask “what car?” Might still be ok, I certainly did well by my punters when I was selling but 95% don’t. I know loads of them and I wouldn’t buy a cup of tea off them.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2007-ford-f...l

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180213369...6

Edited by SLO76 on 15/02/2018 at 21:07

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - argybargy

What a great question.

Shame it wasn't asked when I still had my marvellous Mk2 Focus 1.6 Climate petrol manual carrying 80k, having had a new timing belt at 50k and all maintenance and servicing completed as and when required; sometimes sooner. I eventually let it go to a dealer for a trade in of 900 quid, but would happily have waved bye bye for a private sale of £1500. Thats the car I would go for if I had that sort of money, wanted something reliable and wanted it only for myself.

Decent power, as good looking as anything of that age, solid as a rock with a great engine.

Edited by argybargy on 15/02/2018 at 23:58

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Avant

Sarah - there's lots of good advice above, from people who really do know what they're talking about; the most important of which is that condition matter more than make or model.

But if you'd find it helpful to be pushed in a particular direction, then the advantage of Fords (Fiesta and Focus) is that there are lots of them about to choose from; and the advantage of going Japanese (Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Suzuki) is that the mechanicals stand up to years of use better than average, and there's a better chance of getting a good one. Watch out for rust, though, and avoid diesels and any semi-automatic transmission.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - JEREMYH

Citroen Berlingo family car thing I cant remeber what they are called

Buy the one with the bullet proof 1.9 engine and it will not lets you down I promise

It is the most boring car you will get but it will be the most reliable you will own

I have had the 1.9 berlingo van (exactly the same thing ) and I ahve taken theses engines to 350K and I know people that have done more

Heres one

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLINGO-MULTISPACE-1-9...k

Edited by JEREMYH on 16/02/2018 at 08:06

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Stumblebum

There are people on this forum who are more qualified than Iam to give advice, but Japanese Petrol Manual is not a bad place to start from. Avoid top spec models (electric seats et al) as there is more to go wrong. I've had 4 older japanese petrol manuals and it was the top spec model (bought at £3K) which gave me grief (I'm sure the same advice applies to other makes).

I would also be baised towards buying frome some one who lists a traditional land line telephone number rather than a mobile number, as mobile numbers are disposable.

Badbusdriver , Andrew T , SLO76, argybargy, avant, jeremyh, stumblebum, I firstly want to thank you all for your time and all the help, I wasnt expecting any replies ta all,and having all this help,I cant believe it, and I really appreciate it. I have found a few cars on my local seek and sell sites, I dont know if they are any good,but I will list them below,see if any of them are any good please. And thank you so much again

All these prices are nearest offer,so I would offer them lower than the asking price ( i know it is cheeky but i have to )

1 Corsa Silver 57 plate 5 door hatchback 1400 petrol 79000 miles. MOT Oct 2018. £1850 onto.

2 Ford Focus zetec Climate 64000 miles 12 months mot test £1850

3 Ford Focus 2010, 3 owners,last owner 12 months, 1.8 D 12 month MOT, timing belt replaced last year, 105000 miles £2000 ono

4 BMW 2004 320d msporr 6 speed Only covered 113k full service history.Mint inside and out drives faultless £1650 ono

5 Corsa 1.2 57 plate only 62,000 With history £1595 5 owners

6 Corsa Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Family / First Car Drives Fantastic 111000 New water pump and chain drives fantastic,MOT August 2018 £1200

7 Suzuki SX4 2007, 85k part service history,2 owners

8 Hyundai Gets 2005 40k £1200

9 2007 Renault Scenic DCI 106 1.5 Only 75000 Miles. £1500

10 Ford focus Petrol 1.8 2 owners from new FSH main dealer £1850

These are the ones I saved on my pc so far,any of them you recommend? Thanks again

I wouldn't try to 'recommend' any car which has been around for 8 or more years without being able to see it. You will just have to look at them yourself to find out what kind of life each has had. Unless you plan to do lots of miles, go for a petrol engine. Probably better to go for an 80k car than 120k. If you feel out of your depth get a more knowledgeable friend to help, as two sets of eyes are better than one.

The BMW doesn't seem to belong in this company and it's getting on a bit. What kind of car are you looking for? And remember to allow for the different costs of insurance.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Avant

Run a mile fron numbers 4 and 9! The Focuses on your list could be worth a look, but the Autotrader cars in SLO's and Badbusdriver's links would be my starting-point if I were you, especially the Toyotas, the Mazda 2 and that very cheap Hyundai.

If you can get one with a service history, like that Corolla, this is a big plus.

Forget diesel at this money, it will go spectacularly and expensively wrong at some point. They’re far more complex and much more prone to problems with a diesel BMW 3 series as one of the worst things you could buy at this money. Same with Renault and Citroen. Electrical problems aplenty. The Focus is a good car with either the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol or Mazda 1.8 petrol but stay clear of the diesels even if you are spending £5k and not £1,500. A Toyota Corolla would be my top pick at this money but the petrol Focus would be close too.

As for these buy/sell and swap pages you’re looking at. I look at these things all the time on Facebook and the volume of junk on them is horrific. They seem to attract all the fly guys and jokers. Not to say the odd decent car doesn’t flag up but be very careful. Forget any that’re up for sale or swap. If they want to swap then they’ve no money and won’t have maintained it properly.

Best cheap cars I’ve bought were for sale due to the owner having died or giving up driving for health reasons. I loved nothing more as a trader than turning up at some old buddies home to see them reverse a lovely wee low mileage Civic, Fiesta or Corolla out their garage with low mileage and a wad of paperwork.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/02/2018 at 06:14

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Mr Carrot Cake

Mazda 3 petrol

hi again everyone.

There are 2 local cars at the moment on facebook.

1 2006 Ford Focus £995

1.6 petrol
79k miles
Cambelt replaced at 65k
new clutch at 72k
Service history
12 months MOT
Perfect run around.

2 : 2007 Peugeot 307 £1800

307 Peugeot 307 S 1.6 16v Tiptronic 5 door AUTOMATIC in Grey Metallic ONLY 39,000 MILES with service history

I wouldn't recommend the peugeot, especially with it being an auto. I'm not sure what type of auto that age of peugeot would have, but even if it is a torque converter (as opposed to some kind of automated manual) it will give quite poor economy.

Without seeing them, out of that 2 it would be the focus all day long.

Yes, go for the Focus. I don't know anything about them but the description and price look worth following up.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - expat

When going to look at a car make sure that you go to the vendor's home if it is a private sale. Don't go meeting at a McDonalds car park or similar even if it is more convenient for you. If they don't want you knowing where they live then just put the phone down. Looking at the owner's house can tell you a lot about the type of person they are and how they treat their property. If it is an elderly person with an immaculate house and garden then they may well have looked after their car the same.

At your price point a private sale is your best bet. Only a back street dealer will sell so cheap and they are proverbial for dodgy practices. Don't rush into things even if you need a car urgently. You only have one lot of money and the world is full of secondhand cars.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - SteveLee

You'll get a clean Suzuki 1.6 petrol SX4 for £1500. Not the last word in engine refinement but it won't go wrong and they handle superbly - great fun to drive. Basic, competent, totally reliable cars.

I wouldn't buy anything Japanese at this price point. If anything goes wrong parts will be more expensive than Ford prices.

Not if you stick with mass market stuff like the Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3. There’s plenty of good quality aftermarket parts available that cost similar money to the Ford. Some dealer only bits will be dearer but in general quality is better and thus they need fewer repairs to start with. The old fear of expensive Japanese parts is largely a myth with exception given to low volume stuff like Subaru which can be eye watering. Not that I’m criticising the suggestion of a Focus, these use Japanese engines and drive brilliantly.

hi again All

And thank you all very much for the time you took to reply.

Well the Focus guy for some reason wouldnt return our calls when I asked if I could bring a mechanic friend with me,so that is off the table. I wont get the last peugeot as well as it has advisories on the MOT. The Suzuki sx4 is still for sale i think,and also the Hyundai Matrix. I am stuck now as there is not much for sale around here,I either have to go away and not take anybody with me or keep waiting.

Old cars will have advisories, doesn’t mean it’s a heap. Mot testers vary hugely, some see it as a way to scare punters into paying for work that doesn’t need doing by listing minor or non-existent issues. All depends on who carried it out. Obviously serious terminal rot is a killer but advisories like worn tyres etc are not a problem.

Never rush at buying a used car, take your time and wait until something good turns up. That’s not to say the SX4 is a bad car (assuming it’s a petrol and not the Fiat diesel) but you’ll look at several before finding a good one usually so relax and take your time. And don’t go on your own.

It may also be worthwhile biting the bullet and financing something newer via a low rate bank loan. The few hundred quid extra you’ll pay in interest will open up a far greater range or options especially for someone who’s clearly not mechanically minded. A much newer Toyota Yaris, Auris, Mazda 2/3, Fiesta 1.25/1.4/ Focus 1.6 or Honda Civic would all serve you well. I worry you’re going to get stung buying a cheap motor on your own.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/02/2018 at 15:30

Hi Slo76

Thank you very much for the reply,you have been a great help : and i appreciate it a lot.

I feel like I am rushing too but i do need a car as soon as possible,and i fear i will get stung too,hence everytime I see something i put it on here so least I get a few advice from experts like you. So if i see something I will put it on here if thats ok,and you can sikply say yes or no when you get chance,and if i dont get any replies,well.....it is fine as you all have been amazing already. right now there are

`1: 2006 RENAULT CLIO 1.5 DCI DIESEL

Only 47000 miles from new
One LADY owner from new
2 original remote keys
Electric panoramic glass roof
£30 a year tax
Low running costs
Fully HPI clear

Very rare find small diesel with such low mileage and one owner

Ticks all the boxes
Available next week
Similar cars with same mileage £2200-3000

Only £1795 ono

2: Skoda Fabia 2009, 1.2 petrol 5 doors, 77.800 miles, second owner, service history,12 months MOT, new front tires, good condition. £2000

3 : 2013 Suzuki Alto Sz, 0996CC Petrol, 5DR, Manual.
just under 26,000 miles
very good condition inside,outside and mechanically
10 months MOT
zero road tax required
viewings available
will take offers if interested
ask any questions
more photos if wanted

£2300

4 Nissan Note Black 75,000 miles. Petrol. 58 plate. 6 months tax. Bluetooth. Good family car. Clean and reliable. Message for more details. £1500

5 2006 ford fiesta Just short of 12 months mot no advisorys £1000

Alto and Nissan Note are both robust, the wee Suzuki will be particularly cheap to run but it is very small so check it’ll do what you need space wise. Again I’d forget French and diesel.

Looking at your own suggestions Sarah, it seems like you really ought to pin down exactly what it is you are looking for out of a car and what you plan to do with it.

You were advised early on to avoid diesel. This is because modern diesel engines are very complex, so anything mechanical goes wrong and it will be big money to fix, which, if it happened, would completely wipe out any savings on fuel costs. In your original post you said small family car, i asked what you meant by that, i.e, how small, how much space do you need, but you haven't said. You said £1500 budget, but you have since posted links to cars at £2000 and are now looking at a suzuki alto at £2300.

I am quite happy to look for potential cars online for you, as i'm sure SLO is, but without some concrete information to work with, they may not very suitable.

So going back to basics,

What is your budget?

How much interior space do you need, including boot?

How many miles do you cover on what type of road?

Hi Busdriver

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the confusion. I know what you mean,everything i said at the begining I contradicted. I would love to be able to find a car for £1500 but it looks impossible so i thought if i find one for £2000 I could haggle a little bit and maybe get it a little cheaper. My top budget would be £2000,to be honest I am not fussed about what the car is as long as it is a good car for the money I spend. The car will be used on lanes,town and country roads,very rarely motorway. The boot and interior speace arent so important. Obvisouly it would be nice to have a nice dash board rather than a very old looking one but I guess beggers cant be choosers :(

I do appreciate your help,especially offering to look one online,that is very kind of you. If you need it our postcode is LA14 5UG Thank you so much

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180221392...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180122299...4

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180201330...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180216377...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180206345...9

Edited by SLO76 on 21/02/2018 at 23:32

Thank you very much Slo,

I rang one of them today they didnt answer,and I left a message,see if they get back to me,I messaged the other seller so I will just wait for a reply now. I have also found a few on Ebay while waiting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Note-1-4-16v-SE/231886873304?hash=item35fd88e2d8:g:h58AAOSwBahU8aKj

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-honda-jazz-1-3-petrol/152895463072?hash=item2399479ea0:g:WBsAAOSwXoxaU7uT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Nissan-Note-1-4-16v-Acenta-FSH-2-keys-full-mot/302633652001?hash=item46765f0f21:g:zvUAAOSw5Ktafh~r

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-1-4i-DSI-SE-2008-58-REG-BLACK/272919854137?hash=item3f8b4a7c39:g:RYMAAOSwFb5aAiRl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-HONDA-JAZZ-1-2-DSI-S-5D-76-BHP/162899231999?hash=item25ed8d04ff:g:LUYAAOSwwcRaga3-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Honda-Jazz-1-4-SE-5DR-1-4-PETROL-ONE-OWNER-FROM-NEW-AND-FSH/253439861904

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-55-HONDA-JAZZ-1-3-DSI-SE-5D-82-BHP/253405862395

All Honda Jazz or Nissan Note, Nissan Note has higher Tax than Jazz but also looks bigger.

hi everyone

any thoughts on this one please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-1-8i-VTEC-SPORT-2006-56-REG-SILVER/253226419231?hash=item3af578841f:g:UJoAAOSwc2FZ8Ooc

I sat down and compared all the cars we linked,and this sounds like the best price for the milage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-HONDA-JAZZ-1-2-DSI-S-5D-76-BHP/162899231999?hash=item25ed8d04ff:g:DqsAAOSwwNBakLlP

But again,I am being shallow and i love the look of the CIvic

You may well like the look of the civic Sarah, and it would normally be a car recommended on the forum. But looking on the DVLA website atthe MOT history, it looks like it has led a hard life by someone who hasn't looked after it very well. Maybe SLO and others can cast their eye over this, but it would put me off

As for the jazz, and i can only apologise about this as it was me that posted the link!. At first glance the photo's make it look fine, but after a closer look on the zoom, i'm not so sure. The most obvious point of concern is the tailgate, not sure what on earth is going on there, is that rust (bad news) or grease (in which case you'd have to question why the seller hasn't cleaned it off before taking the pics). Also, and this is difficult to assess properly on the pics, but it looks to me like quite a few of the panels are fading, which suggests that the car has had paintwork done, but not to a great standard. And with it being a solid colour, it will keep on fading, no matter how many times you polish it up.

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/02/2018 at 13:54

Hi Busdriver

Wouw I cant believe you noticed all these detaisl,my god this scares me even more as I think I will definitely get ripped off. :( 2 of the cars SLO linked are gone and the others havent got back to me yet,I have found more on ebay but now BUSDRIVER`s attention made me realise there is a lot more to keep an eye out rather than just milage and year etc :( :( NOW I am depressed lol

Haven’t looked at the Mot history on the Civic but there’s a wee tell tale in picture 2... The front tow hoop flap has been removed (and no doubt thrown away in anger) when it was towed in for repair. It’s suspiciously cheap for this model at a dealer too. Might just have been a worn out clutch or something similar but it’s highly unusual for a dealer to give one of these away.

This thread is building up, Sarah, but I still feel we are almost where we came in. At this price you are unlikely to get a 'perfect' car from anyone, but you will have a better chance from a private seller, for reasons we have been into: [a] they aren't trying to make a living and [b] they should be able to answer more questions than a dealer who has hardly seen the car before. Any seller can dodge answering questions of course, but that is life, and sooner or later (if you really need a car) you will have to bite the bullet and go shopping. You've had lots of good advice, so go try it out, when you are a bit more certain what you are after.

Thank you very much all for the replies and I am sorry if I am being a pain. I wouldnt have noticed any of those things you mentioned at all,and I was actually planing to go and get the Red Jazz sometime this week :( I will stop looking at trades from now on. There is a volvo came up localy,are they any good ? it is

For sale Volvo S40 2008 1.6 petrol. Good condition . Water pump and cambelt done, rear and front brake done. Clutch sliding. Long MOT no advices. Cheep incurance. 1.6 petrol .£1700 ono or best offer. YB08EOJ is the number plate.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - FiestaOwner
For sale Volvo S40 2008 1.6 petrol. Good condition . Water pump and cambelt done, rear and front brake done. Clutch sliding. Long MOT no advices. Cheep incurance. 1.6 petrol .£1700 ono or best offer. YB08EOJ is the number plate.

Presume the advert actually says Clutch slipping. DON'T CONSIDER THIS CAR! EXPENSIVE TO FIX, THAT'S WHY IT'S FOR SALE!

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - SteveLee

The Civic to go for is the one people DON'T like the look of - more car for your money! In particular the 2003-2005 5 door type S. This has the torquey CR-V tune engine - not the peaky Type R tune, which means it's a great real world engine, plenty fast enough and reasonable economy - the Type S 5 door is also fairly softly spring so it rides well - the relatively high insurance group kept it away from the hounds and the monied boy racers all bought the type R. A comfy, quick, reliable practical hatch - £1,500 will buy you a well looked after 2005.

Agree with fiesta owner, if it wasn't an expensive job to replace the clutch on the volvo why wouldn't you?, and given that, £1700 is possibly a bit optimistic.

Also agree with SteveLee, i think that era of civic is very under rated (the most spacious car in its class at the time and honda's usual impeccable reliability) because they look pretty plain. But the problem is Sarah's location (Barrow in Furness) and wanting to get something within 50 miles, so unlikely to find a ready supply, certainly not a type s. Had a look on autotrader and ebay, there are a few within 50 miles. This private sale 1.6se in Preston is a bit older (2001) but looks good, might be worth a phone call?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180209357...1

Also this 2005 1.6se at a garage in Workington looks pretty good.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-SE-Blue-Manual-Petr...V

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - FiestaOwner

Those are both nice looking cars BBD. The older one looks very clean inside too and well cared for.

Don't see anything concerning in the MOT history for either car.

The only thing I notice is that the MOT for the older car is due on 14th July when the advert states it's 12th September.

The MOT history website also shows an outstanding recall for the older car, but doesn't say what it's for or when it dates from (so not very helpful). OP, perhaps a phone call to your local Honda dealer with the reg number would clarify this.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Stumblebum

Great family cars. Had one for several years from about 30K to 110K with no problems apart from an Oxygen Sensor failing. SE is a nice spec as you get Air Con + 4 electric windows. I had an X reg which came with the electric sun roof as well (dropped in later versions). You need to make sure the Air Con works as it mists up very easily.

Great shape if you have children in car seats. Enough space to put them in the car seat. Also it is easy to climb from the back seat to the front seat (my wife could do this) or within the car, so the child can get into or out of the car using the safest door. I now have the next generation Civic, but I think this generation is better for space in the back. Four sx foot passangers are no problem.

Performance in these cars is good. I used to get 40+ mpg. It can be nippy as well if you use the rev range. I used to get mine serviced at a local independent - no need to go to a main dealer.

I still miss my old Civic.. I suspect I would still be driving it now had it not been written off.

Both look good to my non expert eye. I would anticipate that with both cars something will need replacing sooner rather than later e.g. tyres etc so may be wise to have some money in reserve.

Agree totally, this era of Civic makes an excellent cheap family car. Very practical, like a small estate car due to its boxy shape and pre facelift models have nothing between the front seats (gear-lever is located on dash on all) which adds to the feeling of space.

They drive well and are solidly built with excellent engines particularly the 1.6 and 2.0 VTEC’s. The Isuzu 1.7 diesel is tough also but the 1.6 petrol will do 45mpg on a run and is smooth and strong so it’s the best all rounder. I’ve flogged loads of them over the years and even bought one for my then darling girlfriend (now crabbit wife) which cost £2,200 and I sold it after over 3 and a half years for £1,500 which is cheap motoring especially when it never cost anything other than two tyres and an annual service. I also supplied a 1.4 to my brother in law last year - which reminds me, the b***** has yet to pay for it!

Biggest worry on these is the electric steering rack which is very common failure sadly thanks to it being one of the earlier cars equipped with one, almost everything has it today for fuel economy sake. Listen for a rattle up front which sounds like a rattling drop-link or anti-roll bush but unfortunately it’s not anything like as cheap to fix. It’ll also feel slightly sticky on the straight ahead, needing constant corrections to stay on course. It can rattle away like this for ages but will annoy the hell out of you.

Gearbox bearings can get noisy at big six figure mileages (it’ll be quite obvious) but little else is a worry though and they resist rot well. No isofix however if you’ve got any young kids.

hi sorry for the quicky and short reply,this has just come up,what do you think please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Honda-Jazz-1-4-SE-5DR-1-4-PETROL-ONE-OWNER-FROM-NEW-AND-FSH/253439861904?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Looks good to me, so check the MoT history on line and talk to the one lady owner, lady to lady. Then think about getting to Clitheroe in the snow ...

Hi sorry I ws going to work and i couldnt write my usual thank yous,and I am at work now,bu tI will thank everyone tonite.

The cars reg is PF57VUN

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - skidpan

I would quickly walk away. The fact that it has failed virtually every MOT suggests to me the car has had little maintenance and just relied on the annual test. Some owners think the annual MOT is all a car needs and I suspect that is how this one has been run. To have that many failures for items that would have been picked up in any service shows a total disregard for maintenance despite the supposed full service history (who stamped that I wonder?)

As an example since 1994 we have had only one MOT failure. That was at 7 years old for a broken spring and there was no way of spotting that unless the car was jacked up. Car did not even have a tilt and drove fine. We had that car serviced every year and other than the usual advisories for tyres at 4mm, wipers that are a bit worn and underbody shields preventing inspection there was never an issue.

I don't agree. The tester certainly gave it a good working over 5 years ago, but the rest of the record seems pretty normal. Of course the one lady owner may have found a friendly tester afterwards who turned a blind eye, but if you keep telling Sarah to walk away without ever looking in the first place, how will she find out ?

Don't be so negative, Skidpan. It's just possible the car is OK. The poor girl has to start somewhere, and she can always walk away, as you say. The thing that bothered me was that although the contact is 'Katie' it may in fact be a back street trader.

Don't be so negative, Skidpan. It's just possible the car is OK.

Its possible but in my view unlikely.

In many threads there have been links to cars with a similar history and advice is always to run. I know I would.

But there again I would never maintain a car so badly that it failed on so many issues annually.

The OP wanted advice and my advice is avoid.

Andrew T, I wouldn't buy it. My car has had 12 MOTs, only one of those was a fail.

Common sense at last.

Seller has about half a dozen other cars for sale.

So its a dealer selling it pretending to be private. Needs reporting to e-bay and trading standards.

<< So its a dealer selling it pretending to be private. Needs reporting to e-bay and trading standards. >>

Another unjustified throwaway snide remark - I see no pretence here. There is no indication of Private or Trade (unfortunately) but the details given don't look like anything a normal private seller would provide. The 'one lady owner' may have tried to sell privately earlier, but I doubt it - she probably part-ex'd the car, grumbling about the poor trade-in value.

If bought privately, would this car have been any better or worse, other than cheaper?

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Engineer Andy

I would agree that, given the instances of multiple item MOT failures, and particularly the safety-related items such as worryingly bald tyres, it seems at first glance that, rather than the owner(s) monitoring the car for signs of trouble, they use the MOT as a way of determining what needs to be looked at when the car is (hopefully) serviced each year, perhaps around the same time.

I personally don't like doing that, as it suggests that previous owners rarely, if ever, checked the car over themselves between services/MOTs and did not have much, if any, appreciation of keeping an eye on their car as regards condition and maintenance, even basic things like regularly checking tyre pressures/tread depths/condition, the windscreen washer fluid level and the effectiveness of the washer jets and wipers. I also don't like it when advisories crop up more than once in a row and become fails for the same reason.

What I would find out is whether this car has had more than one owner, and when. I suspect it has only has had one owner, given the similar annual mileages and the cropping up of not monitoring the tyre tread depth. One thing in its favour though is the most recent MOT pass, without any corresponding previous MOT failure that year or any advisories.

I would, however, treat this car with caution, given my earlier observations.

... it suggests that previous owners rarely, if ever, checked the car over themselves between services/MOTs and did not have much, if any, appreciation of keeping an eye on their car as regards condition and maintenance, even basic things like regularly checking tyre pressures/tread depths/condition, the windscreen washer fluid level and the effectiveness of the washer jets and wipers.

I would, however, treat this car with caution, given my earlier observations.

In my earlier post I merely suggested that this car was worth a look. Without wishing to appear sexist, I would also suggest that if this car (as advertised) has had just one lady owner, it would not be surprising if she never lifted the bonnet or did much more than put petrol in the right place (SWMBO does pretty much that). She expects the MoT to anticipate any problems.

Any car of this age has to be treated with caution. There will be some out there which may be perfect, but they don't often appear for sale and Sarah might get fed up waiting for one. She has to start somewhere. As I also said, some of the language sounded a bit trade-ish, and private sellers don't often ask £ 1499 either.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/02/2018 at 14:37

Without wishing to appear sexist, I would also suggest that if this car (as advertised) has had just one lady owner, it would not be surprising if she never lifted the bonnet or did much more than put petrol in the right place (SWMBO does pretty much that). She expects the MoT to anticipate any problems.

Seller has about half a dozen other cars for sale.

If the seller really has 6 cars for sale on e-bay they will not be the orignal "one owner".

The trade seller could also have a mate who does MOT's for them which may possibly explain why it passed the last MOT first time and with no advisories for the first time in may years.

Just remeber the 3 rules of car buying:

1) all dealers are liars

2) all dealers are liars

3) refer to rules 1 and 2

“Just remeber the 3 rules of car buying:

1) all dealers are liars

2) all dealers are liars

3) refer to rules 1 and 2”

Not all... merely 99.9%.
£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - madf
“Just remeber the 3 rules of car buying: 1) all dealers are liars 2) all dealers are liars 3) refer to rules 1 and 2” Not all... merely 99.9%.

75% of statistics are made up..

I treat dealers with the same respect I do politicians.

<< If the seller really has 6 cars for sale on e-bay they will not be the orignal "one owner". The trade seller could also have a mate who does MOT's for them which may possibly explain why it passed the last MOT first time and with no advisories for the first time in may years. >>

As this seller is clearly a modest-size trader, one conclusion may be that similar cars should appear from private sellers for less than a grand. Presumably it was a cheap part-ex picked up at auction. But the car might still prove useful, given a thorough check by someone knowledgeable.

You are undoubtably getting a bit deflated by now Sarah, that is understandable. As has been mentioned before, buying a car at this price point will most likely be a gamble!. You will have to be patient and accept the fact that more than half (possibly way more!) of what you look at will not be that great. But i have been looking at some more cars and their MOT histories, came upon this hyundai getz which may suit. Being in Keighley it is outside your 50 mile radius but only by 5 miles. The MOT history shows it has passed the last 4 MOT's with no advisories, and the last fail (2014) was for a corroded brake pipe. The only other fail was 2012 for an ineffective wiper (new wiper blade). Only problem is the short current MOT (8th May) so if you decide to go and see it, be sure to let them know that you will only be taking it with a new MOT!.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180208351...1

<< If the seller really has 6 cars for sale on e-bay they will not be the orignal "one owner". The trade seller could also have a mate who does MOT's for them which may possibly explain why it passed the last MOT first time and with no advisories for the first time in may years. >>

As this seller is clearly a modest-size trader, one conclusion may be that similar cars should appear from private sellers for less than a grand. Presumably it was a cheap part-ex picked up at auction. But the car might still prove useful, given a thorough check by someone knowledgeable.

Possibly - I would say that there's a chance if, and only if (as SLO would presumably do), the trader made it clear that they were one to the OP (or any prospective buyer) and was open and honest about the whole process on meeting them. Nothing wrong with a small-scale trader (again, as SLO shows one can be) if you do it right and are honest.

Rare, possibly, but....I agree that 'doing your homework' and using more experienced people to help (especially when viewing [older] second-hand cars) is the way to go, but it it is very useful to be reasonably self-reliant in future situations - it's very satisfying when you personally make a good purchase choice mainly from your own work.

I've certainly learned a LOT over the many years I've been a member here from interacting with others, and I hope the OP takes something positive out of her experience, even if at first glance it looks to be somewhat frustrating and daunting. I didn't have much of a clue when buying my first car, especially with the internet back then [1996] being nowhere near as useful as it is today as a source of information - I relied on friends, family and work colleages for help.

One thing I've found most useful when looking to buy a car, is, wherever at all possible, take your time - rushing into a car purchase is never a good idea, more so the less you know about them and the 'wonderful' world of car sales, especially for older second-hand ones.

Best of luck to the OP - with a bit of help from the backroomers and people you know, you'll likely do OK.

<< So its a dealer selling it pretending to be private. Needs reporting to e-bay and trading standards. >>

Another unjustified throwaway snide remark - I see no pretence here. There is no indication of Private or Trade (unfortunately) but the details given don't look like anything a normal private seller would provide. The 'one lady owner' may have tried to sell privately earlier, but I doubt it - she probably part-ex'd the car, grumbling about the poor trade-in value.

If bought privately, would this car have been any better or worse, other than cheaper?

Its nothing to do with the car, the law is clear regarding trade sellers pretending they are private and if a trade seller does not make it clear who thay are many would assume its private.

The simple fact is a trade purchase is covered by consumer law, a private sale is not (unless the seller makes a claim about the car that is clearly a lie). By not declaring themselves as a trader they are attempting to avoid their legal responsibilities.

Are you suggesting that a poster who is clearly unsure about buying cars should engage in a purchase with is seller who is without doubt not making it clear what their trading status is. If they are hiding the truth about themselves what are they hiding about the car.

<< Are you suggesting that a poster who is clearly unsure about buying cars should engage in a purchase with is seller who is without doubt not making it clear what their trading status is. If they are hiding the truth about themselves what are they hiding about the car. >>

Skidpan, I'm not 'suggesting' anything, only saying that ads on Ebay do not state explicitly whether a seller is a trader - as AutoTrader does. So there is no deception, but anyone interested can find out more by clicking or phoning. A 10-year-old car is a car is a car, wherever it comes from, and it needs examining carefully. It's no help to say 'I don't like this advert, the car must be dodgy'.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - pd

There way too much obession about minute MOT detail from long ago in the past and how many owners it may have had. What matters is the condition of the car right in the here and now - not 3 years ago.

The odd advistory and/or fail really doesn't matter not does 1,2 or 4 owners. 14 owners matters as does the last two having it 2 weeks each as does an advisory for serious corrosion, 4 bald tyres which haven't been replaced or massive oil leaks on the latest MOT. You need to take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

I've never really bought into the "one owner" idea with cars of the price range either. People who keep a car 10-12 years tend to be "distress" car purchasers. In other words they may maintain the car but only get rid when they are forced to because they've taken it for a service and found £3000 worth of stuff wrong with it. People who sell cars because they are simply bored with them are much better prospects.

Skidpan, I'm not 'suggesting' anything, only saying that ads on Ebay do not state explicitly whether a seller is a trader - as AutoTrader does. So there is no deception, but anyone interested can find out more by clicking or phoning.

A trader should declare the fact regardless of if its on Autrader, the local free paper or E-bay they should declare the fact. If they don't not only are they breaking the law they are clearly avoiding their legal responsibilities and avoiding tax, insurance etc.

Why are you defending what is most definitely a rogue trader?

Don't think this argument is helping Sarah much is it? Time to stop it guys! I can see Avant stepping in!

The argument is not helping the OP but it would not help the OP if they were adived to buy a car that was being offered on e-bay by a trader who has not decplared the fact.

The car may be OK but equally it may not. The fact that a tfader has it and is not declaring it would make me worried.

And if Avant decides to stop posters making other aware of the risks of buying from dealers pretending to be private sellers then I am afraid this forum would not be fit for purpose.

Don't think this argument is helping Sarah much is it? Time to stop it guys! I can see Avant stepping in!

She seems to have lost interest too ..... :-(

“A trader should declare the fact regardless of if its on Autrader, the local free paper or E-bay they should declare the fact. If they don't not only are they breaking the law they are clearly avoiding their legal responsibilities and avoiding tax, insurance etc.”

Some don’t declare it in the advert because advertising as a private seller of Gumtree is free but it costs if you’re trade. I advertised sub £1,000 trade-ins this way to save money but was always upfront when anyone contacted me about it. On cheap cars like this (under £1k) I expected buyers to be realistic and any I believed to have overly high expectations of an old car or what a dealer could/would do for them if there was a problem was told to look elsewhere or pay a £500 premium to cover a warranty. Everyone took the cheap option. But yes, many traders do advertise as private sellers to avoid their obligations. It’s easy to fish them out by asking about the car when you call. Ask how long they’ve owned it and if the car is registered to them at their own address. If you get any stories about selling for my dad/uncle/auntie etc etc then you know he’s a fly trader. Car might still be ok but buy only at trade money and be very wary.
“A trader should declare the fact regardless of if its on Autrader, the local free paper or E-bay they should declare the fact. If they don't not only are they breaking the law they are clearly avoiding their legal responsibilities and avoiding tax, insurance etc.” Some don’t declare it in the advert because advertising as a private seller of Gumtree is free but it costs if you’re trade. I advertised sub £1,000 trade-ins this way to save money but was always upfront when anyone contacted me about it. On cheap cars like this (under £1k) I expected buyers to be realistic and any I believed to have overly high expectations of an old car or what a dealer could/would do for them if there was a problem was told to look elsewhere or pay a £500 premium to cover a warranty. Everyone took the cheap option. But yes, many traders do advertise as private sellers to avoid their obligations. It’s easy to fish them out by asking about the car when you call. Ask how long they’ve owned it and if the car is registered to them at their own address. If you get any stories about selling for my dad/uncle/auntie etc etc then you know he’s a fly trader. Car might still be ok but buy only at trade money and be very wary.

Common sense as usual.

Hi everyone

Sorry I havent been able to write anything for a few days,my little one wasnt so well,we have been to the hospital,but we are all good now. Unfortunatelly we are still looking for a car,and still no luck. Whevever I look it is either a trades person or a diesel car. I cant believe how many diesel cars are for sale. Living rather away from all the major cities doesnt help either,not many car sales here. I am checking autotrader and ebay everyday but I cant seem to be able to find anything. I will hold on a little longer but I dont know how long more as I am desperate for a car at the moment. Anyway, thank you all very much for all the replies,it means a lot and i really appreciate it. If anything comes up in this area I will ask you all before I act on it. Hope you are all enjoying the snow,thanks again

Sarah, you could wait a loooong time for your ideal car to appear. Have you enquired about the one in Clitheroe? Assuming it is a one-owner car, that can only be good news because the previous owner saw no reason to get rid earlier. It costs very little to phone this trader and get a feeling.

Most cars are sold through traders of some sort. Private sellers may just try to sell before trading the car in if they are unsuccessful. Try nibbling a bullet or two, it won't commit you to anything.

Hi andrew

I know,I just need to act on it,go and find one,view it and get it. I have found 2 more hondas and a focus. And also, I know you dont like vauxhell but there are a couple of corsas with around 50k miles in my area.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362253606027?ViewItem=&item=362253606027

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801122695006?maximum-mileage=125000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=2000&radius=30&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&year-from=2005&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=la139jd&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802183843145?maximum-mileage=90000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=2000&radius=45&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&seller-type=private&year-from=2005&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=la139jd&page=2

The first Honda. Possibly a non declared trader with 2 cars for sale. Its the less desirable 1.2, the 1.4 is no bullet, the 1.2 was a slug. MOT history not great and there is a gap from 1 MOT pass in December 2015 to the next in October 2017. Alloys are aftermarket with what are probably non standard sized tyres and would need declaring on insurance.

The second Honda is way over priced but it is being sold at a Honda dealer. I expect that this is a car they have known and serviced and consider to be too good to simply trade out to a back street garage, unfortunately no mention of that service history but worth a phone call to check. You would get the full backing of a main dealer and consumer law. The MOT history looks very good with the only failures being light related. Might be worth making a much lower offer if the car checks out and seeing where it leads.

The photos of the Focus are so bad its hardly worth trying to get any idea of condition. MOT history looks good. Only part service history but what "part".

That's my thoughts.

Thank you for the fast reply skid,i really appreciate it. I will ring the dealer now,I will offer £1500,is that a good deal you think? I had emailed the focus few days ago ad he told me the cambelt was changed recently,didnt ask more,the price is also negiotable he said.

The Jazz being sold by the main dealer sounds very worthy. There’s too much hassle involved for them to bother with an older car unless it’s a very good example which they’ve complete faith in. Yes it’s dearer (about £500) more than I would’ve been selling it for but it’s a good sign that whoever had it was so pleased with it that they bought another Honda.

It’s worth paying extra for. Don’t expect large sums of money off it, most dealers selling cheaper end trade in stock like this sell it on a take it or leave it basis. If you get a token gesture off them you’ll be doing well. That’s not to say you don’t try though but forget the notion of getting £500 off, try £300 and see what they say, but you’ll be lucky to get £100 if anything. You are however better paying a few hundred quid extra for a well maintained Honda that has been part exchanged at a Honda dealer then deemed worthy enough to retail. I’d be on the phone now and go take a look before it goes.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/03/2018 at 14:22

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - catsdad
Sarah, I haven't read all the messages so I am not sure if you are aware of HJ's pricing facility on the home page? Putting in the details of the second Jazz gives a range of £1250 to £2250 so the price advertised is not necessarily excessive if its in top condition.

SLO is almost certainly right with the advice that there may be little price movement.

With any car, if the price won't move, its worth seeing if you can get something else of value to you such as a service and/or MOT or free breakdown. These cost the dealer relatively little but can save you money. However at ths price point they won't offer much I suspect.

Having said all that even paying the price asked for that Jazz, while not a bargain, isn't a rip-off by any means if its as good as it appears.

Sarah, I haven't read all the messages so I am not sure if you are aware of HJ's pricing facility on the home page? Putting in the details of the second Jazz gives a range of £1250 to £2250 so the price advertised is not necessarily excessive if its in top condition.

Just had a look at various price guides. Franchised dealer £1700, PX value £750.

I still think the car is overpriced (SLO agreed) and that Sarah's proposed offer of £1500 is very fair. They will still be making a nice profit but some dealers appear to want top ££££'s and will wait forever.

At the end of the day its a 13 year old car and I cannot see many main dealers wanting one at thier premises very long. If they trade it out or send it to auction they will get nearer £750 than £2000.

Whats the worst than can happen, they will say no and negotiate.

Edited by skidpan on 01/03/2018 at 15:28

hi

Thank you allo for the super fast replies,I rang the dealer,offered £1500,he told me he was gonna speak to his manager and have a look at the car again and get back to me,fingers crossed.

hi again

well they got back to me and they can not accept £1500,asking me if i could strect my budget a bit. Last service was done on janury,all servicing were done by honda.It comes with 3 months warranty and mot. I dont know what i want to go up to really.

I dont know what i want to go up to really.

That is something only you can decide.

asking me if i could strect my budget a bit.

How much is a bit I wonder, did you ask?

HI Skid

He asked me a couple of hundred I said to him I wanted to satick to £1500 as much as possible,but i said in the worst case I may be able to go up to £1600.He again said he was going to get back to me so I am waiting. He also said the wheels/rims has some corrosion, is it bad?>

He also said the wheels/rims has some corrosion, is it bad?>

I would be totally stunned if a 13 year old car did not have corrosion on the alloys. It not a serious problem normally but in many cases it causes slow punctures. Only way to sort is to remove tyres, clean rims inside and treat with a special gunge. Its not a permanent cure but it lasts a year or so. Then repeat.

He also said the wheels/rims has some corrosion, is it bad?>

I would be totally stunned if a 13 year old car did not have corrosion on the alloys. It not a serious problem normally but in many cases it causes slow punctures. Only way to sort is to remove tyres, clean rims inside and treat with a special gunge. Its not a permanent cure but it lasts a year or so. Then repeat.

Indeed - my 12yo Mazda3 has some corrosion, though not too much, on the alloys, which may have contributed to one of the four tyres slowly going down when I had them replaced a few years ago.

The tyre place (supposedly reputable) tried to do the clean and re-seat, charging £10 for it (which I thought was a bit much), and eventually got my main dealership to do it again a week later and for free, and, ta-da, it worked and has been fine ever since (5+ years). As you say, it'll probably suffer from the same problem when I get the next set of tyres.

Am I right in thinking that cars with steel wheels (with hubcaps) don't suffer from this problem as much as the steel is less likely to deform as much even if it rusts (surface)? Anyhoo - I suspect that it shouldn't be too much of an issue, even if that means pumping up one or more tyre a bit every few weeks or months. If they can get it 'fixed' as mine was, then as long as the tyres had half or more tread left, then it should be of little/no consequence for a year or two at least, mileage and driving style depending.

If that's the only issue on the car at that age, it sounds like a reasonable punt given SLO's and other backroomers' recommendations, even if it doesn't set the world alight in the performance and handling stakes (you don't buy an old car for that) - good, honest A to B transport.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - veloceman
As said before, the main dealer wouldn’t take the risk on an older motor if they weren’t sure it was a good one.
Sounds like it’s good to go with a service and MOT.
You may find one a couple of hundred cheaper elsewhere but it won’t take much to go wrong to end up costing you the same with a worse car.
It would definitely be worth scraping the extra together if you can.
And you will have some protection buying from a dealer compared to buying private.
Good luck
£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - RichardW

There's a picture of the FNS wheel on the Autotrader ad - some corrosion visible, but it doesn't look too bad. Granted, it's probably the bestof them - but it also shows it's shod in Goodyear tyres. I wouldn't let that put me off. It looks much better than most of the dross that is available at this price point!

Well played. If you get it for £1600 or anything near then you’ve done well. These are robust and cheap to run plus they’re easy to sell on again so few dealers will give a decent one away. As always, you don’t get if you don’t ask. Might be they just want it out the way to clear room for newer stock.

Well they didnt accept the price,they said it is priced to sell so whatever price is on will be the price :( GUtted,back to square one again!

I got a few more on autotrader,not sure what they are like,please let me know if they are no good,mthank you :( :( :( I know they are trade seller but it is proving difficult to find a decent one from a private seller unless I buy a vauxhall.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712011745982?radius=45&price-to=2000&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=90000&sort=year-desc&year-from=2005&postcode=la139jd&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802163801530?radius=45&price-to=2000&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=90000&sort=year-desc&year-from=2005&postcode=la139jd&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802173824541?radius=45&price-to=2000&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=90000&sort=year-desc&year-from=2005&postcode=la139jd&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801012369910?price-to=2000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=90000&year-from=2005&sort=year-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&radius=45&postcode=la139jd&page=2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Jazz-1-2-5-door-70k-miles-Petrol-Silver-with-alloys/362253606027?hash=item5457ff5c8b:g:2GMAAOSw179ahZ5O

I'm really not sure why you aren't going for the jazz (or at least going to see it) mentioned in the previous few posts. You have said that you can go to £2000, and that particular jazz looked to be about the best of the ones posted. No it is not the cheapest, but neither is it the dearest, a look on autotrader at 2005 jazz's shows two expamples over £3k (one of them being £3495) and a further 14 being over £2k. Yes SLO said that one was quite expensive, but he also pointed out that paying a bit extra for a good example is not a bad thing. We have been over this ground many times now, and, as has been mentioned before, at some point you are going to have to take the plunge. Of the cars you have now posted a link to, most of them are around the same price as the jazz, and while they may be a few years younger, that doesn't make them any better, or more reliable.

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - Bianconeri

Well they didnt accept the price,they said it is priced to sell so whatever price is on will be the price :( GUtted,back to square one again!

It’s a real pity you are getting the run around. That “priced to sell” line is one that really winds me up. Everything has a price and it’s the one that a willing buyer is prepared to pay a willing seller. Far from “priced to sell” this seller is saying “I want more money” (s)he should just be honest and not rely on platitudes.

Anyway, better luck next time. My 2p worth is that a Mazda2 would be a good bet if you can find a nice one. Failing that the KIA Rio / Hyundai I20 have been around long enough to be worth a look.

Don’t place discount as your number one requirement. You’re far better paying a few hundred quid extra for a good car to start with than buying a ‘bargain’ that ends up costing a fortune in repairs regularly. Even if it’s got to be the full asking price (I suspected it would be) that wee Jazz sounds like a good car. It’ll save hundreds every year on fuel and road tax compared to a 1.6 Focus or the like plus there’s no timing belt to worry about either saving a further £300-£400 on most of the cars you’re looking at which will no doubt be well overdue. Go and view it. You’re just driving yourself mad and going in circles looking at adverts all the time.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/03/2018 at 12:38

To final pieces of advice from me.

1 If your absolute limit is £1500 stop looking at cars over that price.

2 Make sure you have enough money to spare should the car need a garage visit sooner rather than later. A £1500 car is more than likely to throw up a fault, probably one that the seller is well aware of.

Sarah, until you face a seller across a desk and talk about a deal, they will only see you as a time-waster who makes silly phone calls offering way below what they hope to get. Buying a car works in no other way I'm afraid. Unless you happen to find a desperate private seller perhaps.

hi Thank you for all the replies.and sorry for the late response. Well I couldnt go as high as £2000,few recent bills set me back,but I offered them £1800 and they still didnt accept it,and at the moment even £1800 is pushing it for me. Thanks a lot for all your help,I will not be doing your head in anymore,I will carry on searching quietly ;(

The car in the last link i posted (26/2 at 18:48) is still for sale Sarah, if the garage were be prepared to put a years MOT on it it would surely be worth a look at least, and at £1289 is is well under your new limit.

Hi again

SOrry to bother you all,I am planing to go and see the car below,is it any good please? They accapted my offer on the phone.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803104441200

If you accept SLO's point that a warranty on a 12-year-old is worthless (i.e. it won't cover anything serious that is likely to happen) why not offer to buy without the warranty? You can always ask, and it might be cheaper. You always have SOGA protection anyway.

Looks well worth a look. I wouldn’t put too much faith in that warranty it’ll have loads of exclusions on a 12yr old car. They’re rarely worth the paper they’re printed on.

Common trick these wee dealers use to add value to cars is to fake a service history either by stamping up the book themselves or by stealing another book from another similar car at another dealer or at auction. Check the service book belongs to this car and look at the stamps, then take a look at their other stock to see if the same stamp has been used. Loads of zero or part history cars I see at auction reappear on Autotrader quickly with full service records.

Robust and cheap to run little cars but look for noisy thrust bearings (you’ll hear it, it’ll change as you operate the clutch) and noisy gearbox bearings, again it’ll be quite obvious. Body damage from elderly owners is common as is poor paint repairs that’ll flake off or rot in no time so look carefully. At this age you can’t expect perfection but you don’t want something that’ll look tatty quickly.

I personally would’ve found the extra for that main dealer car. Worth another try if they still have it but this is worthy of a look too.

Edit: Just checked and the Honda dealer car is gone.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/03/2018 at 20:59

Hi Slo,

Thank you very much,I offered the main dealer car £1750 but they didnt accept it and I just couldnt go any higher than that as it was already high ( few unexpected bills set me back) , Thank you very much again for the fast reply,I really appreciate it

Some of the paint looks a little mismatched around the rear drivers side between door/rear quarter panel and the bumper. This may be simply because they appear to have oversprayed both front and rear bumpers so it may just be cosmetic. Resprayed bumpers are not necessarily a cause for concern as given that the cars age and that the alloys have a few kerb marks, it might just be to cover wear and tear scratches.

The MoT history shows more frequent tests than necessary a couple of years back which suggests it was sold with a new MoT. Not unusual but note that there is an outstanding recall and this is potentially more of an issue. It may be for the widespread airbag recall affecting millions of Japanese cars?

While it will be fixed free by Honda its another hassle. Of course it may be something else so check it out before your heart overrules your head. Recalls are rarely trivial however.

Sorry to put a downer in your long search. Hopefully its solvable if the car is otherwise good.
Just to clarify the recall point. The reason will not be trivial as it may be safety affecting but the remedy may (or may not be) staightforward.

Here are some others nearby you may want to have a look at:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180130322...1

We had one of these fusion's from 2005-2008, very useful little car, nothing went wrong during our time with it. Note that it has the desirable heated windscreen.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180215374...1

This fiesta is a little older, but also cheaper. Top of the range version at the time with all the bells and whistles, including, like the fusion, heated windscreen. Currently no MOT which means the new owner will get a full 12 months.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180309440...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180201329...1

These last two are very similar, both Korean, both usually very reliable. My Mother in law has owned a 2006 rio 1.4 since new. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it!.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180307432...1

Can't check the MOT history of this suzuki swift, website not recognising the number(?), but MOT'd till October. These cars are very simple, reliable, peppy little things.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180319472...1

This MK1 yaris has passed it's last 3 MOT's with no advisories. They are extremely reliable, as are pretty much all toyota's.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180306430...2

This micra is in Liverpool, but has a full MOT and exemplary history. It failed its first MOT in 2010 on a cut tyre and headlamps out of adjustment, but since then all have been passed with no advisories!.

The Swift has been a Northern Ireland car and their MoT histories are not online. I dont thnk there are any peculiar issues in buying a NI car in UK. In fact the car age is not indicated by the plate whch some people like.

If you google the reg you will find it was for sale in NI on 31 Dec 2016 for £2495 at 79k miles so the last owner only had it for about a year at most and has presumably lost a big % of their outlay given the new price from the current trader. As so often this is not necessarily a reason not to buy but it would be good to know why they sold it so soon.

Hi

Thank you very much again all for all thew replies,.you guys are heroes,and I know I am doing your head in. Busdriver I absolutely love the Kia you linked but it is 2 hour 10 minutes drive from us :( If it was any closr I would definitely go and see that one,I also love the suzuki too but I am worried incase it causes problems or anything with a different number plate. I feel like Micra and Yaris would be a little small with 2 car seats in the back, maybe not as I have never been in either of them,

There is also this focus in our area,£1000 with 95k milage,cambelt was done recently,would it be any good? reg number is VN06HGG

£1500 BUDGET, which car to buy,which to avoid? - RichardW

1.4 petrol. MOT history looks OK - got 11 months at present, only bulb failures in the past really. Worth a look.

Sorry Sarah, i didn't realise the kia was so far away. Regarding the child seats, there shouldn't be too much trouble fitting them in either the micra or the yaris, but that is where having a 5 door makes all the difference for access.

The focus should be a good reliable car Possibly a little slow with that engine, though as long as you are not looking for too much performance it should be OK. But as has been said, certainly worth a look if nearby.

Sorry for bothering you all again. Another local one popped up,

Vauxhall Zafira 57000 miles 1.6 engine 3 owners reg is

FN09 HKT they will let it go for £1500.Because it is local I could take a mechanic friend with me.

There is also this FOcus but it is 1.8,the tax is higher but the price is very good compared to the others.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142721844880?ViewItem=&item=142721844880&fromMakeTrack=true

There is also this FOcus but it is 1.8,the tax is higher but the price is very good compared to the others.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142721844880?ViewItem=&item=142721844880&fromMakeTrack=true

Nothing particularly alarming in the recent MOT history. Though in between 1/8/16 and 16/9/17 it had done 28430 miles. Not really worrying, but it does stand out as being a huge jump over previous years. By contrast, between its 1st MOT on 11/7/11 and the next one (which it failed) on 14/2/12 it had covered 30 miles(?)

While the MOT history is not the be all and end all, it does give a useful indication of how well or otherwise the car has been looked after. In it's 2016 MOT this zafira had an advisory of a n/s rear tyre being close to the legal limit, the following year it was clearly sent for it's 2017 MOT with the same rear tyre, which of course was now below the legal limit, so it failed. It was also noted that the o/s rear tyre was close to the legal limit. But rather than doing the sensible thing and replacing the pair, which most agree should be done anyway, they only replaced the tyre which legally had to. I realise this is not damming, but it would certainly put me off. If the current owner replaces just one tyre, even though the other needs replacing too, where else has corners been cut?. And i'd be willing to bet the tyre put on for its MOT will be the absolute cheapest one available.

Ask the owner directly if it has been an insurance write off, as £1500 is suspiciously cheap for a 2009 zafira. Either that or it is in poor condition.

The zafira is not a bad car, but not a great one either. If you feel you need an MPV there are better budget options out there (though obviously you are limited by your wanting a car nearby). Such as the toyota corolla verso, ford c-max, mazda premacy, mazda 5, and honda FR-V.

By all means, have a look with your mechanic friend, but make sure he has a REALLY good look at everything important.

But, for what it's worth, if it was me, i'd give it a miss.

<< Sorry for bothering you all again. Another local one popped up, >>

Sarah, you (and we) have been at this now for 5 weeks, and you seem no nearer getting a car. We all realise you are out on a limb and have only £1500 to spend - but having said that, the bottom line is that you (and a useful friend) have to go shopping. Any car at this price will be of an age where its condition can only be assessed by you. All we might do is suggest models which may have a slightly better chance of being a good buy. There will be good and poor examples of all of them.

Only you can decide which car meets your needs, and which you find convenient, comfortable, cheap to run and insure, etc, etc. I think all your eager advisers have looked at plenty of small-ads by now. Best of luck.