Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - HGV ~ P Valentine

Coming out of thetford on the A134 you come to the A11 roundabout, it is a standard roundabout in that it has 4 exits, with the 4th going back to thetford. There are no road markings on the road, and 2 lanes marked up on the entry to the roundabout.

This is how google and bing maps show this particular junction.

My friend had a RTC on this junction, but is claiming that the roundabout layout on google and bing, is not correct ? So can anyone who uses this road please confirm for me if the map is correct ?

Please dont use the maps and then answer, I only want an answer form someone who uses this road and not looked it up,

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 21/01/2018 at 10:47

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - RT

If there's a criminal or civil issue here, Google Maps, Bing Maps and Streetview are irrelevant

If there are no road markings on the road, how can it be incorrect?

It'[s always incumbent to give way when changing lanes, no such thing as right of way.

I dont know the road so i looked it up, which is why I am asking, I am NOT having a dig at google maps, bing maps or any online maps at all.

He is claiming the collision was not his fault, I am trying to get to the truth that is all, I sometimes travel in his car, so this is not for legal matters or any other issue then my safety, and if it is still safe to be in the car with him behind the wheel.

People think the longer they drive they better they become, this is simply not true, we peak but at some point our driving gets worse as the body starts to let us down, and there will come a time when it is simply not safe for us to drive any more and we have to let the next generation do all the driving.

But that is another isssue, as I said in order for me to come to the right conclusion I just need to know if the road layout, going onto the roundabout is diff from the layout that google and bing maps is showing me.

Ps I dont believe him about the mapping being incorrect.

Standard rules apply, even with no road markings you should treat it as if there are, giving way to traffic from the right on the approach, staying left when taking 1 or 2nd exit, right when 3rd or 4th exit.

it is especially important to use your mirrors where there are no road markings. Or they have been worn out and are difficult to see.

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - bathtub tom

Standard rules apply, even with no road markings you should treat it as if there are, giving way to traffic from the right on the approach, staying left when taking 1 or 2nd exit, right when 3rd or 4th exit.

Unfortunately people don't read road signs. This is the (infamous) Black Cat roundabout, southbound on the A1. Both lanes are signposted for the A421 - the third exit. Many drivers assume the RH lane is for the A421 and end up in the outside lane of the A421 dual carriageway and find themselves being a lane hog or undertaken.

goo.gl/maps/eU2xSSLm3V92

Similarly, leaving the A421 for the A1 North (first exit), both lanes are marked as acceptable. Many drivers don't seem capable of reading this sign: goo.gl/maps/R4M5Jsxynd92

Ps he is saying that the approach is now 3 lanes from thetford, and lane 1 is a dedicated lane turning onto the a11.

I just want to know if this is true or not ?

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - FP

Google Street View should show the layout pretty well, and it will have a month and year to show when the images were recorded. If this is not recent, I suppose the layout could have changed since, but if it is recent, then I think the information is there.

However, I agree the definitive answer is actually to look for oneself.

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - RT

Google Street View should show the layout pretty well, and it will have a month and year to show when the images were recorded. If this is not recent, I suppose the layout could have changed since, but if it is recent, then I think the information is there.

However, I agree the definitive answer is actually to look for oneself.

Depends if you've got the full Google Earth using Chrome or the cut-down Google Earth Pro using a different browser - the latter doesn't show image dates.

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - FP

I didn't realise that. I'm using Opera browser, which, being based on Chrome, I assume does the same job.

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - RobJP

Google street view shows 2 lanes, and no 'left only' lane. The imagery is from Summer 2016.

Road layout A134 - Thetford, help needed - Brit_in_Germany

The left turn only lane is on the opposite side of the roundabout for the A134 southbound.

actually both sides are exactly the same.