Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - Bradley burns
I have recently got myself a ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate and have been driving it for 3 months or so and due to miles i travel for work i was wondering on how long my car will last as it has recently hit 100,000 miles. What sort of stuff will need changing/repairing (common faults) and how mch will it cost. I dont know much about cars but i just want to know what might come meaning the high mileage and what the expense of keeping running might be.

Edited by Bradley burns on 16/01/2018 at 19:36

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - elekie&a/c doctor

Apart from usual wear and tear items,not much to go wrong on these.However ,at 10 years and 100k miles ,you need to be looking at getting the cam belt changed,if not already done.Take it to a local indy garage for a quote. No reason why this car should not do another 100k with regular maintenance and correct oil spec.

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - RichardW

It will likely need a steady drip of suspension and brake components; cambelt, thermostat, other odds and ends. It might seem like a lot, but it will be much cheaper than a new car. Just find a garage you can trust and fix it as and when it breaks. It might need a new clutch at some point, which may be a tipping point. My 307 is at 140k now on its original clutch... getting towards the point where the need for a new clutch will probably lead it to the scrap man.

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - SLO76
Generally very robust little cars (with a Yamaha designed engine) but as with any older motor there will be a steady number of wear and tear items that need replaced plus it’ll be due a timing belt and water pump. Otherwise there’s no reason why it can’t run for another 50-60,000 miles with ease.

They’re cheap for parts, relatively simple to work on and every mechanic will know them inside out. Unless you intend on parting with a substantial enough sum of money to buy a much much newer car to replace it then stick with the car you know to be reliable. There’s absolutely no point on changing one cheap old car for another that’s only a couple of years younger.

Plus being a Zetec S it’ll always be an easy sell, small hot/mild Ford hatches are always in demand and almost all become classics. Look at the values of 80’s/90’s XR2/XR3/Zetec S/RS models, they always begin to rise as the number of survivors dwindles. Keep it and look after it.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/01/2018 at 22:47

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - KenC

Learn how to do the basic maintenace tasks yourself, get a haynes workshop manual ( do one task and it will pay for itself) get a few basic tools. eg basic socket set with correct size spark plug socket, cheap torx multi head screwdriver and oil filter pliers & spare oil sump bolt
regular annual or bi annual ( if mileage dictates) oil.filter changes, cabin filter and air filter changes are not difficult, buy the correct spec oil often you will see the correct spec oil at a discount so always have some available.
get a decent tyre pressure gauge and check your tyre pressures ( including the spare) monthly,get a tyre depth gauge and learn how to use it.
always buy your car bulbs at the correct places meaning NOT large car spares chains. instead places like Wilkinsons
check out your tyre size and find out the prices at local indepentant tyre fitters, replace tyres before they get to the legal minimum tread ( learn about tyre tread wear indicators)
Look around for local independant workshops and always get 2/3 quotes for work that you cannot complete yourself ,
Unless you have a service history and proof of servicing I would be thinking of working my way through the following, some you could do yourself, some not
Cambelt/waterpump and antifreeze change ( with 50% distilled water or approved pre mixed).Brake fluid change, fuel filter change, engine oil & oil.air and cabin filter change,.have the wheels off and have the brake discs pads/shoes etc checked for wear and leak,s. budget also for new tyres,battery and wipers

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - edlithgow

Change the brake fluid.

Might never have been done, and could stop expensive corrosion of your braking system, or an even more expensive failure.

My impression is that this is a commonly neglected maintenance item, perhaps because its fairly invisible.

Certainly I've neglected it myself in the past.

Edited by edlithgow on 17/01/2018 at 06:08

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - KenC

I agree,

the workshops have a device that they hook up to the master cyclinder then each wheel slave cylineder, they walk away and for a smoke or whatever and it does it automatically, last time I had it done the cost was only £30 including vat & fluid

Ford fiesta zetec s 58 plate - Advice on either maintaining my car or get new car - John F

On a warm spring day it's worth taking the wheels off to clean and grease the brake pipes. (superficially corroded pipes are a favourite MoT failure). Also, wirebrush the rusty suspension bits and paint these with oil - old engine oil will do. And the springs - although they probably won't appear rusty they can sometimes develop tiny cracks in which rust can penetrate. When it gets halfway across, the spring will break.