VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - badbusdriver

Following on from my previous post re haggling, i thought i'd update on how it all went.

1st, as expected, my non existent haggling ability was once again well proven. But i did get a full tank of diesel, hey ho, every little helps!

So to recap, i was forced to replace my trusty transit connect following an unfortunate incident involving an icy road, a nasty camber, a fence and a very sturdy bush!.

After the caddy sdi had come up in another post, as recommended by SLO, i decided, given my limited budget, that one would probably be a good choice for me. 2 identical ex British gas examples were on offer in the North of England, one in Appleby-in-westmorland, the other in Blackburn. I initially enquired after the one in Appleby because they were willing to deliver it for a very reasonable price. But after wasting most of a day waiting for close up photos which ultimately never appeared, and speaking to (i think) the father of the guy who runs the garage, i also discovered that they would not be able to have it serviced (including belt, water pump, etc), mot'd AND get it to me before Christmas. So i moved on to the one in Blackburn, at an outfit called Globe motors. They also could have the van delivered but at a much higher price, so i decided to travel down to view/buy it and drive it home.

The megabus was a frankly awful experience, the bus from Aberdeen to Glasgow was very hot. It was then decided that another bus was needed to carry on, which resulted in a 35 minute delay leaving Glasgow. Then, and i can only assume the timetables from there onwards were hoplessly optimistic as, despite not being held up at any point, we were 45 minutes late into Lancaster university. From there to Preston was only another 35 minutes, so we were still 45 minutes late, and from there i got a standard service bus along to Blackburn, which was slow, rattly, noisy and uncomfortable!.

By the time i got to Globe motors it was dark and wet, and i was extremely tired. But i was immediately impressed with the way i was treated. The van was indoors, in a very well lit area, the boss (i think) showed me round the van, offered me a test drive, then in great detail went through all the paperwork, including the 3 month RAC warranty and 12 month comprehensive RAC breakdown. After an unusual spurt of common sense i decided that immediately heading North (It was 5pm when i got clear of Globe motors and i had been up since 4.15am) probably wasn't a good idea, choosing instead to head a little further South and spend the night with relatives in Wigan.

Driving impressions of the caddy are very positive. After what i had read, i expected it to be a real slug, but no, nothing of the sort, it was perfectly fine. I will admit though, that it probably wouldn't be the ideal choice for anyone who spends a lot of time on the motorway or dual carriageways as 70mph equals a rather busy 3200rpm, but with another gear it would be fine at the legal limit. It had no problem maintaining the legal limit, even going up Beattock, and never felt like it only has 69bhp!. Motorway performance is of little concern to me though, as hardly any of my running is done on anything other than single carriageway roads which, with the caddy, like my old connect, means 50mph if sticking to the letter of the law.

So, to sum up, obviously i haven't had it for long, but based on my experience so far, i can highly recommend a caddy sdi (if you don't spend much time on motorways or dual cariageways), and i can also highly recommend Globe motors in Blackburn.

I cannot however, recommend megabus. As cheap as it was (£21 Aberdeen to Preston), it was truly grim!.

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - gordonbennet

Confess the bus is never considered for such one way journeys, train every time or airplane if suitable.

However, sounds like you did ok for a van, and i fully expect the van to endear itself with your use, i find these sorts of engines so easy to drive, no they arn't flying machines but will happily lug right down to stall speeds and still keep going, Berlingo 1.9D's much the same as i recall.

I suspect whilst the BHP figure isn't high the torque figure is quite respectable and from a ridiculously low rpm, and it won't have that sting in the tail rapid fuel consumption as with higher powered turboDiesels when you make use of the extra power.

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - badbusdriver

Confess the bus is never considered for such one way journeys, train every time or airplane if suitable.

However, sounds like you did ok for a van, and i fully expect the van to endear itself with your use, i find these sorts of engines so easy to drive, no they arn't flying machines but will happily lug right down to stall speeds and still keep going, Berlingo 1.9D's much the same as i recall.

I suspect whilst the BHP figure isn't high the torque figure is quite respectable and from a ridiculously low rpm, and it won't have that sting in the tail rapid fuel consumption as with higher powered turboDiesels when you make use of the extra power.

I hear you GB, and I did look into the alternatives. Price wise, flying didn't seem to bad (£53 for early flight, £69 for mid morning), the main drawback being how far it is from Manchester Airport to Blackburn. The train, though I'm sure (assuming it didn't break down!) would have been a much more pleasant journey, was an outrageous £107!, and that was just to Preston, I didn't think to get a price to Blackburn.

Thanks for that FiestaOwner!

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - FiestaOwner

Glad you're pleased with your purchase. To be honest once the garage knows your travelling any distance, you've lost any leverage in haggling. It must have been advertised at a good price for you to travel that distance, so it's quite possible that someone living nearer wouldn't have done any better.

It looked a very smart motor in the link you posted. Being an SDI there's less to go wrong with it.

Noticed in the advert that it had a 4 year warranty on the Gates cam belt. Never seen a warranty advertised on a cam belt before.

I know you've said before about carrying a large water tank, so don't expect that speed will be an issue for you.

Hope it gives you many years of trouble free service

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - Happy Blue!

Years ago I rented a NA diesel Fiat Doblo van with windows on a family holiday. It was a slug and drank fuel, but I drove it like you should drive a rental car (!) and by the end of the holiday it was faster and more economical that at the beginning. Just needed its lungs clearing....

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - SLO76
Good luck with it bbd. A quick look round at others for sale and you’ll see loads with 200k upwards under their belt still fetching reasonable money while other makes are scrap. These are tough straightforward small vans with really only clutches (or rather oil contamination via the input shaft seal) being a common weak point. Get a good one and there’s no reason it won’t run and run.

My 57 plate was an ex NHS fleet van and it was great. Perfectly adequate on the road if a little noisy at speed. I could’ve sold it ten times over when I flogged it and the next/current owner is using it to travel all round the country as a wind turbine engineer. It never let me down, always started even in the worst Scottish winter mornings. Though the windscreen washer jets would freeze solid all the time. I’d never have sold it had I not sold the business.

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - KB.

Can only reiterate the above - and ta for troubling to report on the proceedings.

I have vowed never to go anywhere by coach following the journey from Exeter to London on a National Express coach. It was some ridiculously cheap price... something like £11 or somesuch...so you pays yer money and takes yer choice. I can see why people prefer to sit in their own car despite the cost of running the car ... at least in traffic jams you can choose the temperature, the radio station and you (hopefully) haven't got a nearby passenger who hasn't had a wash lately and who's hip hop/garage/drum & bass music in the headphones you can hear for the entire journey and who's phone is a source of irritation to the whole coach.

Never had a van and haven't had anything to add to advice you were given but, as per the others, hope it gives sterling service.

If it's any consolation (re. the 3200rpm in top gear) my Hyundai i10 automatic also runs at exactly that engine speed at 70 rpm ... for a relatively modern petrol car it's dreadful! Especially as at that particular speed there's a horrible droning noise.... they did install a modified drive shaft within the first year which helped a bit but didn't get rid of the noise entirely.

Good luck.

KB, i've had great success with soundproofing these smaller cars, namely the C2VTS we had for a while and the younger family's Aygo.

A search around on this site using the word ''soundproofing'' will probably find the thread, basically on the usual auction sites you can buy self adhesive insulating pads of various thicknesses in various sized packs.

Removing trims such as boot, under the seats and wheelarch plastic or carpet mouldings will reveal the painted steel of the bodyshell and no soundproofing of any description, to be fair both of these small cars wwre quite well insulated engine wise, the booming was from all around with the near enough bare shell at the back half of each car amplifying tyre roar and general noise.

£50 of soundproofing pads and a couple of hours on a warm day (trim clips break easily in the cold) can transform an otherwise noisy car into a much more pleasant place to be.

This would also apply to vans if BBD fancies quietening the Caddy down.

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - KB.

Point taken, ta. The car's over six yrs old now and it would have been worth doing when newish but I now CBA to spend any time, money or effort on it ... I can't stand the thing but the Mrs. is happy with it due to it's compact proportions and its total innocuousness and it's handy for cramped supermarket spaces where parking skills are at a premium and parking on the moor where it's liable to being chewed by Dartmoor ponies (honestly) or vandalized by the a select few folk of Plymouth or Exeter or wherever it is that these despicable lowlife pond dwellers have their stones from which they crawl out in order to inflict their unpleasantness on others. It's being so happy keeps me going! :-)

Edited by KB. on 27/12/2017 at 11:35

A bit more than £50 then having a decent car you wish to visit Dartmoor in kitted out with anti hi-jack flame throwers as apparently used in SA...do the rest of us a favour as well.

I can see where your good lady is coming from though, my SWMBO goes the other way, she doesn't mind the size of the Outback which is now so battered as to be the car others avoid, our better halves often find alternate cat skinning methods.

VW caddy sdi long distance buying experience - argybargy

Great to know that, apart from the Megabus horror, your search has ended well, BDB. Also good to hear about the positive experience you had with the seller.

All too often the tale told by those who submit themselves to the mercies of motor dealers and then decide to tell the world about it via the internet is one of serious pocket depletion, disappointment and weeks or months of chronic hassle.