FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - bluec

Hi

I'm looking to buy my first car and I thought you might be able to help me as I'm not very knowledgeable about cars.I've got a budget of £1300 and I've narrowed it down to these cars;

Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Active 5dr

Vauxhall Corsa 2006/07

renault clio 2006/07

Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Plus any others that you could recommend.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - SLO76
Condition and history mean more than make and model at this money so I’d widen your search a little with the Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta 1.25 and Nissan Micra 1.2. Having said that every car does have its inherent weaknesses and as for the list you’ve provided the Corsa 1.2/1.4 petrol is likely to be the most robust all things being equal. The Clio is prone to loads of electrical and trim issues as they age and timing belts are known to fail early. The Punto is again poor electrically and the petrol engines are known to pop head gaskets at 80k upwards. Not a disaster by any means and they do sell for less so a newer lower mileage example is possible compared to rivals. Avoid all diesels.

Let us know roughly where you are in the country and I’ll have a look at what’s for sale near you that I’d look at myself.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - badbusdriver

In addition to SLO's suggestions i would throw in the suzuki swift ('05-'10), hyundai getz ('02-'08), and kia rio ('05-'11).

The hyundai and kia would both fall into the category of 'worthy but dull' in that they are both very reliable, but nothing much to look at. The suzuki is a bit more stylish by comparison, but equally reliable.

While i have learned through the forum that the insurance group itself does not have a huge impact (within reason) on the insurance price, it would still be advisable to get quotes for any of the 3 i've suggested as they all fall into higher groups than your 3 options.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - bluec

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the sandwell area.

I'm also 6ft 2.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - elekie&a/c doctor

What about a Focus 1.6 petrol? Plenty around for this money and you may find the insurance is lower than the others.Loads of front leg room on these.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - SLO76
Spotted a few possibilities...

hwww.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-yari...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-yari...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/quick-sale-...l

Edited by SLO76 on 12/12/2017 at 20:55

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - FiestaOwner
Spotted a few possibilities... hwww.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-yari...l www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-yari...l www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/quick-sale-...l

Hi

Just been looking at the cars SLO76 has linked to.

The Silver Toytota Corolla hasn't been taxed since July, so can't legally be test driven! Also MOT history website is showing advisory for corroded inner sills and brake pipes. Realise at this age most cars will be needing work, but you should check out the sills as that could be a significant expense. If you can't check these yourself, then get someone else to check them.

Also on the MOT history site, both Yaris's are showing outstanding Manufacturers Recalls (Doesn't say what they are for). You should check with a Toyota dealer quoting the registration number, to see what is required (and to see if they are still able to do what is needed). This is a new thing, the MOT history site never used to show this.

The black Yaris isn't taxed either. The advert says he is a private seller, but he is a trader. He is also selling a Corsa on Gumtree using the same mobile number, but a different user name. Nothing wrong with buying from a trader, but don't buy from one who is claiming to be a private seller!

Check the following sites for any cars you are considering. Also google any phone numbers (from adverts) to see if they link to other adverts. If they do, you know it's a trader.

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

I sadly don’t have the time to check Mot histories etc of anything I post. The idea is that they are options worthy of further investigation and as above it shows how necessary this is. Cars not being taxed for months shows it could be a dealer or possibly a car that’s been lying on the driveway or maybe in the garage of an elderly relative who has had to give up driving so don’t dismiss it out of hand.

While yes buying from a dealer means you’ll be covered for test drives etc you tend to find the best cars at this money in private sales. Just do your homework and check Mot histories etc but again you need to view as some owners take their cars to main dealers or certain fast fit centres to be Mot’d and they tend to be overly strict to drum up business so much of that advisory list may be nonsense.

As for not buying from a trader pretending to be a private seller I agree but some advertise sub £1,500 as a private seller then inform the potential buyer when they call/view it solely because it’s free to advertise on Gumtree as a private individual but costs to do so as a trader and on low value cars, usually part-ex’s you’re working off low margins. Call and ask about the car to see if they’re upfront or try to flannel you.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - FiestaOwner
I sadly don’t have the time to check Mot histories etc of anything I post. The idea is that they are options worthy of further investigation and as above it shows how necessary this is.

I'm not critising you SLO. You spend a lot of time posting very useful information (very sensible information) to many posters asking for advise. Your advise is always excellent. You spend a great deal of time contributing to this Forum and I have certainly learned a lot from your posts.

What I was posting, was aimed at the OP. The importance of checking adverts against MOT history and vehicle enquiry sites etc.

There was a thread started a couple of weeks ago by catsdad (I think) about getting MOT advisories for tyres with around 5mm of tread. Have experienced the same thing myself with worn brake discs, which were less than half worn. It's the condition that the car is in now that matters (not what might have been wrong in the past). Would always check the MOT history (before viewing the car) and see if recently highlighted faults were real issues..

I only found out tonight that outstanding Manufacturers Recalls are now listed on the MOT history website. Very useful to know.

“I only found out tonight that outstanding Manufacturers Recalls are now listed on the MOT history website. Very useful to know.”

Wasn’t aware of this myself, it’s a very handy extra piece of information from an excellent source. The Mot history check site has been a God send for car buyers.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - nellyjak

At the price you want to pay, I wouldn't be looking at any of the ones you mention.

Personally I would always be going "Japanese"...Toyota/Honda/Mazda etc..you have a better chance of reliability.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - catsdad
I wouldn't recommend a Corsa. Every time I need to sort something on ours I am disappointed at how very cheaply made it is.

For example the front seat inner back frames fail as they are made out of wire one grade up from coat hangers. The inner cable for the door handle has a crimped joint that fails. The wiper mechanisms commonly wear out and the wipers then slap the A post and mechanism replacement is very expensive. The handbrake can come loose. Back seat fold down release fails. We've had all of these common faults on ours.

We haven't had the other common expensive failure of the heating control that costs £1000 to fix (see HJ good and bad). If we did, and it couldn't be bodged in some way, it'd be scrap.

If all the above were not enough they are on up to 20,000 mile oil changes that doesn't bode well for engine life. Despite ours having had 10,000 mile changes the cam chain, or part of the mechanism, taps away merrily. The garage says its normal so we live with it but its annoying.

On the plus slide it pulls well and its ok to drive but I'd start with something better made such as the Yaris. No doubt its also made diwn to a price but hopefully a somewhat higher one.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - corax
On the plus slide it pulls well and its ok to drive but I'd start with something better made such as the Yaris. No doubt its also made diwn to a price but hopefully a somewhat higher one.

My mechanic had a Corsa and Yaris at one stage as courtesy cars.

After driving both I always hoped I'd get the Yaris - a far better car to drive and leagues ahead of a Corsa in terms of build quality. He still has it, the Corsa died.

I noticed that a disproportionate number of Corsa's ended up in ditches/upside down e.t.c on police programmes at one stage. After driving one, I'm not surprised. Horrible chassis that inspires no confidence around corners, and especially in the hands of an inexperienced young driver.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - alan1302

I noticed that a disproportionate number of Corsa's ended up in ditches/upside down e.t.c on police programmes at one stage. After driving one, I'm not surprised. Horrible chassis that inspires no confidence around corners, and especially in the hands of an inexperienced young driver.

Nothing to do with the car - all to do with poor driving - any car that ends up upisode down in a ditch isn't being driven well.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - corax

Nothing to do with the car - all to do with poor driving - any car that ends up upisode down in a ditch isn't being driven well.

Funny how it was usually Corsas - go and drive one.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - alan1302

Funny how it was usually Corsas - go and drive one.

Have owned and driven one and stand by what I said - a car that end up updide down in a ditch is not being driven well. No car end up updide down easily and there is not an inherent flaw in a Corsa that makes it more susceptible or it would have been recalled and certainlt mention of it on sites like these.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - oldroverboy.

just had a grande punto for a week. what a heap of s... t

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - Boroman
What were the issues with it? I had drive of a 15 plate 1.4 Punto and few weeks ago and apart from the low gearing, thought it drove surprisingly well. Mind you, it only had 5000 miles on the clock.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The Getz is a fine and reliable car but as a fellow 6'2" I can say the front legroom is a bit restricted. I've driven many miles in swmbo car and it is just about tolerable for a couple of hours .

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - focussed

Punto, Corsa and Clio.

A list to avoid if ever there was one.

Yaris + Jazz + just about anything far eastern is better and will serve you well compared to this collection of european-designed dross.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

How about this?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171012022...1

Thanks again for the help and advice.

How about this?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171012022...1

Looks like a sensible choice.

Don't see anything horrific in the MOT history. Mileage seems consistant every year (would suggest it's only had one previous owner, you would have to check that with the seller). Not an issue if it's had more than one.

In the event you are going to view:

• It says phone to make an appoinment, so make sure you say, you want to hear it start from cold.
  • Try and take someone with you who has some knowledge about cars.
  • Before starting it open the bonnet and check the fluid levels. Look for clean oil on the dip stick (on a petrol car it should not be jet black!). Look for it being close to the max mark. Remember to check the level, wipe the dip stick clean then re-dip. It's the reading on the 2nd dip that counts.
  • Remove the radiator cap or the expansion tank cap (ONLY DO THIS IF THE ENGINE IS COLD, otherwise you'll cover yourself with boiling water). The water should be be the colour of the antifreeze (normally blue, pink or orange). If the water is rusty brown, walk away (the car has serious issues).
  • Check the service history, you want to see receipts. A stamped service book is easily faked.
  • See if there is a receipt for the cam belt change at 65000 miles.

Don't feel rushed, when looking over the car. I'm sure others will be along soon with advise.

Remember at this age and price point the warranty will hardly be worth the paper it's printed on. So satisfy yourself that the car is the one you want, before agreeing to buy.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - gordonbennet

Some good advice above from FiestaOwner.

Rio looks a half decent car, just have a good poke nose underneath especially around the subframes and suspension whilst checking the car over to make sure things arn't rusting too badly.

Make sure the discs are in decent condition, so take a torch because not so easy to check through those sensible (far more practicle than alloy) steel wheels, and make sure the clutch feels decent, depending on previous ownership and use one might be on the cards in the next 25k, whilst the parts (good quality pattern) should be cheap i have no idea how easy the job is.

Good advice above. These are generally robust little cars but not much joy to drive, not that this is a big worry at this money. Rot is your enemy here so get under it and look at the front crossmember and front and rear subframes all of which are prone to serious rot on these. Don’t rely on past Mot advisories flagging it up you need to look for yourself.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - Senexdriver
You’ll find good and bad examples of all mass-produced cars, but for what it’s worth here is my experience of a 2003 Corsa 1.2 petrol that has just reached the end of its life at 136,000 miles. It was my Dad’s car and I inherited it when it was 2 years old with 11,000 miles on the clock when he finally went to the great car park in the sky. I took it on as a car for my 4 sons to share and they have been responsible for all the post-Dad miles. It still has the original clutch, but most other parts have been replaced. A persistent problem ever since we took it on is the heater blower, which has been replaced several times and now only works on the strongest setting. The fault which has dealt the final blow is water leaking through the bulkhead; it has somehow got into the ecu and completely messed up the electrics. The only solution is to put it in the hands of an auto electrician and there is no guarantee that he can get it working again.

In all the repairs it has had, I have never found parts expensive. It broke down twice, once with a blown head gasket and once with an oil leak which deposited the contents of the sump in a motorway service station car park. Would I recommend it as a car? For reliability, yes, in spite of all the faults it developed mainly towards the end of its life. For driveability, yes, in terms of safety rather than excitement factor. For economy, yes, as it would return 45 mpg on a long run. Vauxhalls often get a bad press, but I’ve owned 3 and they’ve been good cars to own and drive.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - Engineer Andy
You’ll find good and bad examples of all mass-produced cars, but for what it’s worth here is my experience of a 2003 Corsa 1.2 petrol that has just reached the end of its life at 136,000 miles. It was my Dad’s car and I inherited it when it was 2 years old with 11,000 miles on the clock when he finally went to the great car park in the sky. I took it on as a car for my 4 sons to share and they have been responsible for all the post-Dad miles. It still has the original clutch, but most other parts have been replaced. A persistent problem ever since we took it on is the heater blower, which has been replaced several times and now only works on the strongest setting. The fault which has dealt the final blow is water leaking through the bulkhead; it has somehow got into the ecu and completely messed up the electrics. The only solution is to put it in the hands of an auto electrician and there is no guarantee that he can get it working again. In all the repairs it has had, I have never found parts expensive. It broke down twice, once with a blown head gasket and once with an oil leak which deposited the contents of the sump in a motorway service station car park. Would I recommend it as a car? For reliability, yes, in spite of all the faults it developed mainly towards the end of its life. For driveability, yes, in terms of safety rather than excitement factor. For economy, yes, as it would return 45 mpg on a long run. Vauxhalls often get a bad press, but I’ve owned 3 and they’ve been good cars to own and drive.

Quite right, most cars of all makes don't experience anything more than minor problems every now and then, its just that some experience more than others, or that the lack of customer service that follows is rightly given lots of publicity.

I would say though that getting 45mpg on a long run using a 1.2 ltr petrol engine in a small car is nothing to write home about, in fact its quite poor for a car of that size and engine.

FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - Senexdriver
I agree that the fuel economy was not spectacular but it was a 2003 vehicle. I get almost the same economy from a modern 2 litre turbo petrol engine - and significantly better performance. I think that in its time 45 mpg would have been respectable.
FIAT Grande Punto, Vauxhall Corsa, renault clio - Which car would you recommend for me? - catsdad
Your previous post reminds me. I'd forgotten that ours also had a head gasket failure when our son had it. I note that your overall Corsa experience and view are more positive than mine. Maybe the Corsa C is better put together than our D?