KIA Sportage - Three winter tyres OK? - rooba63

Got a nail in one of my winter tyres at weekend. Had to replace with full-size spare, but this is summer tyre. Offside rear. Car is front-wheel drive, 2 litre diesel.

Is it unsafe to drive? Hoping to trade car in soon, so don't really want to buy new winter tyre.

Would it be safer, given that it's currently -4c, to put all summer tyres back on?

Thanks

KIA Sportage - Three winter tyres OK? - RobJP

Terrible idea to run on 3 winters and one summer.

Depending on where you live and your need of being able to get out even in poor conditions as to whether running the car on summers is a good idea or not. Loss of NCD and your excess payment in the event of an accident could make it a very expensive lesson.

You need a spare anyway. So just get a new winter tyre or repair the current one, put that back on the car and shove the summer back in the boot as your spare.

KIA Sportage - Three winter tyres OK? - RT

Got a nail in one of my winter tyres at weekend. Had to replace with full-size spare, but this is summer tyre. Offside rear. Car is front-wheel drive, 2 litre diesel.

Is it unsafe to drive? Hoping to trade car in soon, so don't really want to buy new winter tyre.

Would it be safer, given that it's currently -4c, to put all summer tyres back on?

Thanks

It's safe as an emergency spare, limited to 50 mph and maximum of 50 miles just to get you to a tyre fitter.

KIA Sportage - Three winter tyres OK? - galileo

I have all-season Vredesteins on mine, last time I changed the fronts (3 mm tread left) I got the fitter to use one to replace the summer tyre which was on the spare wheel, so the spare is now the same as the others.

Edited by galileo on 10/12/2017 at 18:18

KIA Sportage - Three winter tyres OK? - rooba63

Thanks for the advice. Have ordered a new winter tyre and it will be fitted tomorrow. Handling when driving seems fine, but the ABS is kicking in when I brake at junctions etc, so there are obviously issues with driving on three.