2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Sealed or unsealed battery? - bluenun

Anyone know if the original battery on a ford focus 1.6 auto needs topping up or if it is sealed?

If it is unsealed I will order a Hydromoter.

I can check tomorrow but it is too dark outside now.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Sealed or unsealed battery? - Galaxy

I've no idea whether the battery will be sealed or unsealed, but I would guess it's probably going to be the former.

However, if it's the original battery then that means it's 14 years old and I should think it's well due for replacement.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Sealed or unsealed battery? - elekie&a/c doctor

Out the factory, the battery would have been a sealed calcium type.This is so that the smart charge alternator system can work correctly.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Sealed or unsealed battery? - bluenun

Thanks for the replies.

I have had the car since 2006, it had less than 9000 miles on the clock and had been serviced at a Ford Garage every year.

I assume it still had the original battery when I purchased it.

I had a look this morning and it is a Motorcraft Superstart EMS 550 075 051W

It does have 6 screw caps which I took out and can see the fluid level is above the metal plates.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec auto. - Sealed or unsealed battery? - gordonbennet

How things have changed, i remember when we ran Transits back in the 70's it became a standing joke that the OE Motorcraft battery would expire the very first frosty morning after the 12 month warranty ran out, 13 months and battery kaput was nothing unusual.

Ask Honest John

Value my car